61Likes

post #2791 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I too am a software developer. I'm also one of the Oppo beta testers. I can assure you that Neuromancer's statements are entirely accurate. Just because some companies work on things based on how loud people yell doesn't mean that every company has to (or should) work that way. wink.gif

Please don't make Bob hit his head against the wall again - we need him over in beta test land biggrin.gif.

Who's being loud? Not sure what the big deal is. I suspect that Oppo indeed prioritizes based on consumer feedback. Anyways, I politely sent Oppo a message about the problem, and they promptly sent an email back, said they are aware of the problem and working on it. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by johsti View Post

Thanks for the response. What is the volume scale? 1-100 or 1-10 or some other relative scale?

1-100
post #2793 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78

I am playing an HDCD encoded CD (Aaron Neville "Gospel Roots") and HDCD decoding is turned on in the player. But the Disc Info still says 'Stereo 44.1k 16b'. I thought it would say 'Stereo 44.1k 20b'.  How would i know the 105 is sending 20-bit stream to my pre-pro(Anthem D2v)?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2794 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I did the latest firmware update via internet and now my lip sync issue on the optical input is back. Any suggestions?
post #2795 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

I did the latest firmware update via internet and now my lip sync issue on the optical input is back. Any suggestions?

Did you do the Recommended Reset after the install?
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #2796 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldKumar View Post

Who's being loud?
I was using loud as a metaphor for how many people complain about or mention an issue.
post #2797 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

I am playing an HDCD encoded CD (Aaron Neville "Gospel Roots") and HDCD decoding is turned on in the player. But the Disc Info still says 'Stereo 44.1k 16b'. I thought it would say 'Stereo 44.1k 20b'.  How would i know the 105 is sending 20-bit stream to my pre-pro(Anthem D2v)?

The disc info refers to the data coming OFF the disc. HDCD is 2.0 LPCM 44.1 KHz 16-bit data matrix encoded to contain 20-bit data dynamic range (at the expense of raising the noise floor). What's coming OFF the disc is unchanged by whether HDCD decoding is engaged or not.
--Bob

post #2798 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Is the HDCD light also lit up?
post #2799 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Quote:

The disc info refers to the data coming OFF the disc. HDCD is 2.0 LPCM 44.1 KHz 16-bit data matrix encoded to contain 20-bit data dynamic range (at the expense of raising the noise floor). What's coming OFF the disc is unchanged by whether HDCD decoding is engaged or not.
--Bob

Interesting ... i thought i was getting 20-bit data off the disk with HDCD turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delkat View Post

Quote:

Is the HDCD light also lit up?

Don't know about a light, but the main display highlights the "HDCD" title. Is that what you were referring to?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #2800 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Did you do the Recommended Reset after the install?
--Bob

Oh man, yes I did, and a nano second after I pressed OK on that, I had changed my mind. Don't tell me that is the reason I'm back to square one?
post #2801 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Don't fret. The Recommended Reset is a "good thing". But it does mean you need to go and re-establish your previously selected "best" settings for, e.g., audio/video output format.
-- Bob

post #2802 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:

^ Don't fret. The Recommended Reset is a "good thing". But it does mean you need to go and re-establish your previously selected "best" settings for, e.g., audio/video output format.
-- Bob

Oh, well yeah but the previous firmware had fixed the lip sync issue and now this latest firmware brought the issue back..
post #2803 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post

Oh, well yeah but the previous firmware had fixed the lip sync issue and now this latest firmware brought the issue back..

Check your settings again. It's likely you've changed something with realizing it (e.g., now using Bitstream audio output instead of LPCM).
--Bob.

post #2804 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Check your settings again. It's likely you've changed something with realizing it (e.g., now using Bitstream audio output instead of LPCM).
--Bob.
Will do. Thx Bob.
post #2805 of 11522 Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Interesting ... i thought i was getting 20-bit data off the disk with HDCD turned on.

HDCD is a clever trick for fitting 20 bits of range into 16 bits of sample at the expense of higher noise floor. It's kind of analogous in spirit (not in implementation) to Dolby noise reduction on tape, where the signal was manipulated one way when recording then unmanipulated back on playback.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Definition_Compatible_Digital
Quote:

Don't know about a light, but the main display highlights the "HDCD" title. Is that what you were referring to?

Yes.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #2806 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Why doesn't Oppo add an audio lip sync feature to the menu the way the WDTV has implemented it?
post #2807 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Does the 105 crash hard drives if they are connected/disconnected without powering down the unit? This happened all the time with the 95, and I had to rebuild the boot record on several drives. This also prevented me from plugging in a full blown NAS to the USB port.
post #2808 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 08:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Why doesn't Oppo add an audio lip sync feature to the menu the way the WDTV has implemented it?

We can't help you with that. You need to ask OPPO.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #2809 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

In my case, as in many others this would not help as the audio is behind the video which the Oppo does not even receive.
post #2810 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:

Trying to understand the lip-sync issue - haven't experienced it but I have not watched many videos with my Oppo, mostly music. Is there a problem with sync only when using Split Mode HDMI, or does this happen when watching video material over a single HDMI port? Or is it with HDMI video / analog audio? Sorry if I should know this - I have followed this topic from the beginning - maybe I missed the details on this issue.

Thanks.

Stephen Powell
post #2811 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphader View Post

In my case, as in many others this would not help as the audio is behind the video which the Oppo does not even receive.

Not sure I understand what you mean by the audio is behind the video and Oppo not receiving. How is your Oppo configured as a source?
post #2812 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm sending the audio to the Oppo from my TV - either OTA or smart TV apps (Amazon Videos, etc.).

Oh I see. Well even with that situation, it would still be beneficial to have an audio delay option in the menu. Most media players out there have options to adjust by 100ms increments. In your case, this would still require you to go within the Oppo menu first to set before watching content, and you would have to experiment to get the timing right with the audio. Most of the content on my media server is usually off by 300ms, and since I know this I have to set this for most files I playback. I know that would not be ideal, but better that than having any delay at all. The ideal solution would be a proper firmware fix smile.gif
post #2813 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 09:28 AM

Liked: 27
I can see I am not the only one having trouble understanding the A/V sync issues. Maybe Bob can net it out for us. Further delay of the already delayed audio will not help with darkphader's issue ^^^^^ though, and I don't see how the Oppo could possibly fix that.

Stephen Powell
post #2814 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:

--Bob.

I checked all the settings. No good. I called Oppo and they said they are aware of that and trying to fix the issue,,,again...
post #2815 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 10:08 AM
FMD

Liked: 12
Can someone confirm for me if there is any difference in 2 channel audio quality based on the below input choices (and if there would be a #1 preference):

HDMI In
Optical In
Coaxial In

Thanks in advance

2 Channel Audio - Oppo BDP-105>PS Audio Power Base>Conrad Johnson Premier 14 Preamp>Conrad Johnson MF2500A Solid State Amp>Rogers LS 3/5a + AB1 Speakers> PS Audio P5 Power Plant/PS Audio Power Base>[Cabling] Nordost Red Dawn/Heimdall RCA, Shunyata Research & PS Audio Power Cords>[Isolation] Black...
post #2816 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldKumar View Post

I have an update on my Oppo. Overall I'd give it A for sound quality and B+ for general operation.

Using as a pre/pro is working awesome. I'm between 30-75 on digital voume control going into Emotive UPA-1s and focal electras. That's on the RCA jacks. I tried balanced cables and it seemed too hot, I was going from 10 - 35 on volume as I recall.

Sound quality is awesome. I can crank this system up very high and it remains clear.

A few problems

My Motorola Comcast box does not connect reliably via HDMI, it toggles between working and a green screen every 10 seconds. I hope they fix this soon.
Some flac files will cause the player to crash or operate strangely. If I re-encode the flacs with foobar 2000 it fixes them.
The remote is OK, It's not that snappy, sometimes you have to hold buttons down longer than natural. i don't like where the backlit button is and the volume control. I wish companies would use sides of remote for some functions. This is just a minor thing though.

A major recommendation for BubbleUPNP on Android device. I can control oppo without the projector on. And maintain playlists and snappy and robust interface. I run it with a Logitech Media Server running on the network server.

Just wondering how you can control with the Logitech server. Do you select it in the Oppo Home Menu?
post #2817 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Oh I see. Well even with that situation, it would still be beneficial to have an audio delay option in the menu.

Not really. The audio is already delayed, delaying it any further would only make it worse.
post #2818 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

I can see I am not the only one having trouble understanding the A/V sync issues. Maybe Bob can net it out for us. Further delay of the already delayed audio will not help with darkphader's issue ^^^^^ though, and I don't see how the Oppo could possibly fix that.

Oppo could fix it by not delaying the audio in the first place :-) It's a bug. My ages old Outlaw 950 pre-pro syncs perfectly with no delay.
post #2819 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD View Post

Can someone confirm for me if there is any difference in 2 channel audio quality based on the below input choices (and if there would be a #1 preference):

HDMI In
Optical In
Coaxial In

Thanks in advance
Optical and coax should be the same. HDMI in can handle higher quality lossless and high bitrate audio (stereo from SACD or DVD-A, for instance) that cannot be sent through either optical or coax.

post #2820 of 11522 Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Oppo could fix it by not delaying the audio in the first place :-) It's a bug. My ages old Outlaw 950 pre-pro syncs perfectly with no delay.

they had fixed it back in Dec with a Firmware. But the latest Firmware reversed it back to the delay again..
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page