AVS Forum banner

Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread

2M views 15K replies 1K participants last post by  Bob Pariseau 
#1 · (Edited)
Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread

Official BDP-105 Website
OPPO BDP-103 & BDP-105 Blu-ray Q&A Interview
Asynchronous USB Drivers (Windows XP/Vista/7/8)
OPPO Wiki FAQ
Unofficial BDP-103 FAQ

UPDATED 07/18/2016 - Beta 83-0715B Firmware Released
UPDATED 11/06/2015 - Official 80-1031 Firmware Released
UPDATED 10/24/2014 - Official 77-0827 Firmware Released
UPDATED 09/12/2014 - Beta 77-0827B Firmware Released
UPDATED 05/19/2014 - Official 75-0515 Firmware Released
UPDATED 04/30/2014 - Beta 75-0430B Firmware Released
UPDATED 02/20/2014 - Official 70-0218 Firmware Released
UPDATED 02/12/2014 - Beta 69-0124B Firmware Released
UPDATED 01/13/2014 - BDP-105D (Darbee) Released
UPDATED 04/05/2013 - The Absolute Sound (Chris Martins) Review Posted
UPDATED 03/25/2013 - Sound+Vision (Al Griffin) Review Posted
UPDATED 02/19/2013 - Audiophile Audion (Brian Bloom) Review Posted
UPDATED 02/18/2013 - Jim Prillaman Review Posted
UPDATED 02/04/2013 - Audioholics (Gene DellaSala) Review Posted
UPDATED 01/28/2013 - From Script to DVD (William Kallay) Review Posted
UPDATED 01/25/2013 - Everything Audio Network (John Gatski) Review Posted
UPDATED 01/24/2013 - Home Theater (Kris Deering) Review Posted
UPDATED 01/10/2013 - DEG Emiel N. Petrone Innovation Best Physical Media Product awarded to BDP-105
UPDATED 12/20/2012 - LAAudiofile (Kevin Nakano) Review Posted
UPDATED 12/19/2012 - BDP-105 receives Product of the Year from Secrets of Home Theater and HiFi
UPDATED 12/05/2012 - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity (John E. Johnson) Writeup
UPDATED 11/20/2012 - Buy Now: Ships November 26th
UPDATED 11/13/2012 - Special Order Invitations sent

Uniquely Better:

• 4K Up-scaling - Enhance the home theater experience with four times the resolution of Full HD 1080p by up-scaling all video sources to 4K (3840 x 2160) output resolution.
  • 2D to 3D Conversion – Take your standard DVD, Blu-ray, and other video content to the next dimension by converting them into 3D with the simple press of a button. The BDP-105 can also adjust the depth and eye convergence levels to suit your personal preference.
  • Dual HDMI Inputs – Connect external devices such as set-top boxes and network streaming devices to take further advantage of the excellent audio and video processing functions by the BDP-105. The BDP-105 offers two HDMI inputs, one on the front and one on the back, and the front HDMI input doubles as an MHL input.
  • USB Asynchronous DAC – By bypassing the low fidelity, poor quality DAC of traditional computer soundcards, the BDP-105 turn any computer into a high performing multi-media source by converting digital audio to analog through the ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC. If your computer can play it, the BDP-105 can convert it to analog.
  • Coaxial/Optic Inputs – For additional convenience and flexibility, the BDP-105 can convert digital signals from cable and satellite boxes, televisions, video-game consoles and other digital transports with coaxial and optical digital outputs to analog.
  • DMP & DMR - Digital Media Player (DMP) and Digital Media Renderer (DMR) features enable wired or wireless access of audio, picture, and video files stored on DLNA-compatible digital media servers such as a computer or network storage device (NAS).
  • SMB/CIFS Access - The BDP-105 comes with an experimental feature that can access video, audio and picture files shared by computers on the local network via the Server Message Block (SMB) or Common Internet File System (CIFS) protocol.
  • Headphone Amplifier – For a more intimate listening experience, a pair of headphones can be connected directly to the BDP-105’s built-in headphone amplifiers. The headphone amplifier is connected directly to the ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC and offers a unique performance advantage over standalone headphone amplifiers.
  • Rigid Chassis Construction - Built around a steel chassis, aluminum faceplate, and center-mounted disc loader, the BDP-105 is designed to impress as well as to provide a stable base for the highest quality reproduction of your favorite media.
  • Fanless Architecture – The BDP-105 is passively cooled, allowing it to run both cool and quiet without the need for internal or external fans.

High Fidelity Audio Performance:
  • SABRE32 Reference Audio DAC - The DAC is one of the most important components for digital audio playback. The SABRE32 Reference ES9018 from ESS Technology is the world’s best performing 32-bit audio DAC solution targeted for high-end consumer applications and professional studio equipment. With the ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream™ DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the SABRE32 Reference DAC delivers an unprecedented DNR (Dynamic Range) of up to 135dB and THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise) of -120dB, the industry’s highest performance level that will satisfy even the most demanding audio enthusiast. The BDP-105 uses two ES9018 DAC chips - one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output. To learn more about the technologies behind the exceptional performance of the SABRE DAC, please read the SABRE Technical White Paper.
  • Toroidal Power Supply - A toroidal power transformer offers superior power efficiency and much lower exterior magnetic fields over traditional laminated steel core transformers. The BDP-105's toroidal linear power supply provides a very clean and robust power source to the critical audio components.
  • Dedicated Stereo Output with XLR Balanced Connectors - The BDP-105 features a dedicated 2-channel analog output with specially optimized ES9018 DAC and output driving stages. The stereo output offers both XLR balanced and RCA single-ended connectors. The balanced output features a true differential signal path all the way from the DAC to the 3-pin XLR connector. By transmitting a pair of differential signals, the balanced output provides better common-mode noise rejection and improves signal quality.
  • 7.1-Channel Analog Output - Individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs are ideal for connecting to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The BDP-105 delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience. The 7.1-channel analog output can also be configured to a stereo down-mix mode as a Zone 2 audio source.
  • Dolby® TrueHD - Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment. The BDP-105 supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.4a output. It can also internally decode Dolby TrueHD into LPCM and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio formats are also supported.
  • DTS-HD Master Audio™ - DTS-HD Master Audio delivers an auditory experience that matches the lifelike images of high-definition video with up to 7.1 channels that are bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. The BDP-105 supports bit-stream output of DTS-HD Master Audio. It can also internally decode DTS-HD Master Audio and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. (DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS Digital Surround are also supported.)

Diversified Media Support:
  • Blu-ray Disc - The high definition Blu-ray Disc™ format provides pristine video and audio quality for your home entertainment.
  • Blu-ray 3D – Experience high definition in all new dimensions. The BDP-105 supports the Blu-ray 3D specifications and is fully compatible with Blu-ray 3D discs1.
  • SACD - The BDP-105 plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it to PCM.
  • DVD-Audio - The BDP-105 plays DVD-Audio and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to play the DVD-Audio or the DVD-Video portion of the disc.
  • VUDU HD Movie Streaming - Stream thousands of movies instantly the day-and-date they are released on DVD/Blu-ray in stunning 1080p video, rich 7.1 surround audio and even in 3D2.
  • Netflix Instant Streaming - Instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix3. Netflix "Just For Kids" is a special selection of kid-friendly TV episodes & movies for younger viewers. It is included with your Netflix unlimited streaming membership. Selected titles support features including 1080p video, 5.1ch audio, subtitles and alternative audio languages.
  • Pandora Internet Radio - Personalized music streaming using the Music Genome Project, staying true to their mission: "Playing only the music you'll love".4
  • Comprehensive Internet Streaming - In addition to VUDU, Netflix and Pandora, the BDP-105 provides access to popular entertainment network services from Film Fresh, YouTube Leanback and Picasa, with more to come.
  • BD-Live & BonusVIEW - The BDP-105 supports BD-Live™ (Profile 2.0) and contains all necessary hardware - audio/video decoder, Ethernet and wireless networking, and 1GB of internal storage - for BD-Live. It also supports BonusVIEW (Profile 1.1) enabling "picture-in-picture" and audio features for viewing director or actor commentary while the main movie is playing.
  • Additional Disc & Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as DVD, audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MP4, AVI, MKV and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-105. The BDP-105 fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC music formats.5

Unparalleled Video Quality:
  • Qdeo by Marvell - The BDP-105 incorporates Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest generation Qdeo™ technology. Qdeo video processing delivers a truly immersive viewing experience by rendering quiet natural video free of noise and artifacts for all types of content. For high-quality Blu-ray content, the BDP-105 faithfully reproduces the program just as the director intended; for DVD, the up-converted picture quality bridges the visual gap from your current DVD library to Blu-ray discs; for network streaming and user-encoded content at a variety of formats and quality, the BDP-105 offers enhancement options including video noise reduction, compression artifact reduction, intelligent color, contrast, detail and edge enhancements. To learn more about the Qdeo video processing technology, please read the Qdeo Extended Technology Brief.
  • DVD Up-Conversion - Per-pixel motion-adaptive de-interlacing and advanced scaling transform the standard definition image on DVDs to high definition output on your TV. Additional Qdeo video processing options help to deliver a clearer, smoother, and more true-to-life picture free of noise and artifacts.
  • Full HD 1080p Output - The BDP-105 features user selectable video output resolutions, including 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 4K.
  • True 24p™ Video - Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate as the original movie's theatrical release. The BDP-105 can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output (compatible display required) for smoother motion and a flicker-free, film-like home theater experience. It can also restore the original 24 frames per second progressive-scan video from well-authored DVDs and output 1080p 24Hz.
  • Source Direct Mode - For users who wish to use an external video processor, the BDP-105 offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration.
  • Multiple Zoom Modes - The BDP-105 supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming. Users can watch a movie in its original aspect ratio, fit to the full screen, or zoom in to remove the black bars on some titles.
  • Vertical Stretch Mode - For customers with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system, the player's zoom options include a vertical stretch mode to work nicely with an anamorphic lens. A unique subtitle shift feature allows the user to move the subtitle up and down, making it possible to see all subtitle text when using a 2.35:1 CIH display.
  • Advanced Picture Control - Users can have fine control of brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness, noise reduction, color and contrast enhancements. The player can remember and apply three custom picture control modes to suit a variety of viewing conditions and content types.

Ultimate Convenience:
  • Dual HDMI Outputs – Two HDMI v1.4a output ports are provided to offer the most versatile installation options to both older and newer HDMI equipment. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-105 can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI v1.1-v1.3 A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theater use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-105 can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously.
  • MHL Input – Simplify connecting smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices to the home theater by using the MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) input port of the BDP-105. Display high resolution pictures, 1080p video and listen to pure digital music all while simultaneously charging the connected mobile device. The front HDMI input port of the BDP-105 doubles as an MHL input.
  • Wireless & Ethernet – Using the included wireless-N adapter or the built-in RJ45 Ethernet port, users will be able to interact with BD-Live content, watch instant streaming programs from providers such as Netflix or VUDU, playback contents stored on their home network, and keep the BDP-105 up-to-date with firmware releases to ensure maximum Blu-ray compatibility.
  • Triple USB Ports - Three USB 2.0 high speed ports are provided, one on the front panel and two on the back. Users can enjoy high definition video, high resolution photos and music directly from their USB drives.
  • PAL/NTSC Conversion - The BDP-105 supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another. (Subject to DVD and BD region restrictions.)
  • Back-lit Remote Control - The BDP-105 comes with a fully back-lit remote control for ease of use in dark home theaters. With its ergonomic button layout and clear labeling, operating the Blu-ray Disc player is easier than ever.
  • World Power Supply - The BDP-105 features a world power supply that is compatible with AC power from all regions. Voltage range from 100V-120V and 200V-240V can be selected by flipping a switch on the back panel.
  • External IR - For integration into home theater control systems, the BDP-105 provides an external IR IN port to use with an IR distribution system.
  • RS232 Control - For custom installation, the BDP-105 offers an RS232 control port with a rich control and communication protocol. Installers can easily program their favorite control systems to operate the BDP-105.
  • Remote Control Apps – For additional user convenience, the BDP-105 can be operated using remote control apps running on compatible smartphone and tablet devices. The remote control app for Android is already available. An app for Apple iOS devices is coming soon.
  • HDMI CEC - HDMI Consumer Electronics Control simplifies the home theater by allowing a single remote control to operate multiple devices.
  • Gracenote MusicID® and VideoID™ - By connecting to Gracenote's global media database over the Internet, the BDP-105 can offer an enriched playback experience by displaying Cover Art, Title, Artist, Genre and other media information for CD, DVD, Blu-ray and a wide range of digital media files.

OPPO BDP-105 User's Manual
Unofficial BDP-103 FAQ (Applicable to the BDP-105)
OPPO Wiki FAQ

REVIEWS
The Absolute Sound (Chris Martins)
Sound+Vision (Al Griffin)
Audiophile Audion (Brian Bloom)
Jim Prillaman
Audioholics (Gene DellaSala)
From Script to DVD (William Kallay)
Everything Audio Network (John Gatski)
Home Theater (Kris Deering)
DEG Emiel N. Petrone Innovation 2012 Best Physical Media Product Award
LAAudiofile (Kevin Nakano)
Product of the Year from Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity (John E. Johnson) Writeup

FIRMWARE RELEASES
Check the Official BDP-103 Owner's Thread. I want to keep this thread more about the quality of the player, and less about software/firmware issues.

See less See more
#2,782 ·
Forgive me if this information is located somewhere in this thread, but I would really like to get some clarification before purchasing an Oppo 105.

Does the Oppo 105 upsample audio or play it natively? I plan to use the usb dac with my computer and wanted to make sure 44.1 is played natively at 44.1, 96 is played natively at 96, etc. etc. I understand the bit processing is done at 32 bits and I'm fine with that.

How does the volume control function in relation to output level? Does the volume range go from 0-100 in .5dB step intervals? For example, if I turned the volume down to 80 on the volume control would the volume be -10dB from max volume? the reason I ask is I plan to use the balanced outputs and want to reduce the gain with the volume control to better match the balanced inputs on my preamp. 4.4 volts is too hot for my preamp.

Finally, my last question, does it display the sample rate of audio on the player display or only if you have a monitor attached?

Any and all input is appreciated.

#2,783 ·
I have a question regarding the use of the split HDMI outs. I understand the general theory of keeping things separate anytime possible. Separating audio & video from inside the player, turning off video functions within the player while listening to music, etc.My question is how much difference will it actually make using one HDMI out for video direct to my projector & the other for audio to the processor?

The reason i ask is that I play a lot of Bluray & DVD-Audio music only discs where it's important to be able to access the menus without having to turn on my projector. I want to be able to connect a 7" monitor with HDMI input to view the menus on these discs. I am using a Lexicon MC-12HDEQ processor which only has 1 HDMI out. i need this HDMI for those times I view TiVo as it runs to the Processor. If I use 1 HDMI out or the 105 for both Audio & Video I could then use HDMI 2 to go direct into that 7" monitor, thus being able to view the menus when necessary. As it stands now, using the split HDMI I'm unable to do that. If I keep it this way I will have to run the processor out to the monitor....then disconnect it & place back into the projector when i want to watch TiVo. Not a convenient solution at all.

I am all about optimizing for the best possible audio & video but this issue has me really thinking hard about the true value of using the split HDMI in the 105.

Thanks for any input.

JR

#2,785 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johsti  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2790#post_22829900

Does the Oppo 105 upsample audio or play it natively? I plan to use the usb dac with my computer and wanted to make sure 44.1 is played natively at 44.1, 96 is played natively at 96, etc. etc. I understand the bit processing is done at 32 bits and I'm fine with that.

It does not technically upsample, but you are getting some amount of padding to the signal as the player is using 32-bit processing to the signal, so the bitrate is always "enhanced" when using the analog outputs.
Quote:
How does the volume control function in relation to output level? Does the volume range go from 0-100 in .5dB step intervals?

I do not know the maximum dB of the player, so I really do not have a good answer for you. But the player uses .5dB increments with each VOL press of the player. I would just lower the volume to 1 and go from there and figure out what works for your system. If you find that 1 is too much, then put in some attenuators in-line to reduce the voltage even further.
Quote:
Finally, my last question, does it display the sample rate of audio on the player display or only if you have a monitor attached?

You will need a display.

#2,786 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDiAndrea  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2790#post_22829908

I have a question regarding the use of the split HDMI outs. I understand the general theory of keeping things separate anytime possible. Separating audio & video from inside the player, turning off video functions within the player while listening to music, etc.My question is how much difference will it actually make using one HDMI out for video direct to my projector & the other for audio to the processor?

As long as the receiver is set to do no video processing, or the output of the player is the same output resolution of the receiver, you should not really need to worry about the receiver doing any kind of incorrect video processing to the signal. It is pretty safe to connect the player through the receiver for video in this kind of configuration.

#2,787 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2790#post_22829934

I do not know the maximum dB of the player, so I really do not have a good answer for you. But the player uses .5dB increments with each VOL press of the player. I would just lower the volume to 1 and go from there and figure out what works for your system. If you find that 1 is too much, then put in some attenuators in-line to reduce the voltage even further.

Thanks for the response. What is the volume scale? 1-100 or 1-10 or some other relative scale?

#2,788 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldKumar  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2790#post_22828752

Got to go with Jeff here. I work in software and there's always a list of problems. Definitely will prioritize with customer feedback.
I too am a software developer. I'm also one of the Oppo beta testers. I can assure you that Neuromancer's statements are entirely accurate. Just because some companies work on things based on how loud people yell doesn't mean that every company has to (or should) work that way.

Please don't make Bob hit his head against the wall again - we need him over in beta test land

#2,789 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRDnhorns  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2790#post_22829781

Aremoving power cord from motorola VIP1600 for ten seconds and reconnecting solved the issue this time.

This is not an Oppo issue, it's a Moto cable box issue... I had the same issue when connecting my Moto set top box to the 3D inputs on my AVM 50v. Did a ton of research on the issue, and it's a long standing issue. The Moto boxes (and some others) simply can't HTCP with some 3D devices... particularly when that device is between the Moto box and the final display device, which is why I think some people blame the Oppo, or the processor, when the issue is really the cable box.

#2,790 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2790#post_22829943

As long as the receiver is set to do no video processing, or the output of the player is the same output resolution of the receiver, you should not really need to worry about the receiver doing any kind of incorrect video processing to the signal. It is pretty safe to connect the player through the receiver for video in this kind of configuration.

THx Neuromancer. I suspected as much but wanted to be sure I wasnt missing anything. The Lexicon will simply pass the video thru.

#2,791 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2820#post_22830153

I too am a software developer. I'm also one of the Oppo beta testers. I can assure you that Neuromancer's statements are entirely accurate. Just because some companies work on things based on how loud people yell doesn't mean that every company has to (or should) work that way.

Please don't make Bob hit his head against the wall again - we need him over in beta test land

Who's being loud? Not sure what the big deal is. I suspect that Oppo indeed prioritizes based on consumer feedback. Anyways, I politely sent Oppo a message about the problem, and they promptly sent an email back, said they are aware of the problem and working on it.

#2,793 ·

I am playing an HDCD encoded CD (Aaron Neville "Gospel Roots") and HDCD decoding is turned on in the player. But the Disc Info still says 'Stereo 44.1k 16b'. I thought it would say 'Stereo 44.1k 20b'.  How would i know the 105 is sending 20-bit stream to my pre-pro(Anthem D2v)?

#2,795 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2820#post_22830606

I did the latest firmware update via internet and now my lip sync issue on the optical input is back. Any suggestions?

Did you do the Recommended Reset after the install?

--Bob

#2,797 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2820#post_22830573

I am playing an HDCD encoded CD (Aaron Neville "Gospel Roots") and HDCD decoding is turned on in the player. But the Disc Info still says 'Stereo 44.1k 16b'. I thought it would say 'Stereo 44.1k 20b'.  How would i know the 105 is sending 20-bit stream to my pre-pro(Anthem D2v)?

The disc info refers to the data coming OFF the disc. HDCD is 2.0 LPCM 44.1 KHz 16-bit data matrix encoded to contain 20-bit data dynamic range (at the expense of raising the noise floor). What's coming OFF the disc is unchanged by whether HDCD decoding is engaged or not.

--Bob

#2,798 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2820#post_22830573

Is the HDCD light also lit up?

#2,799 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2820#post_22830635

Quote:

The disc info refers to the data coming OFF the disc. HDCD is 2.0 LPCM 44.1 KHz 16-bit data matrix encoded to contain 20-bit data dynamic range (at the expense of raising the noise floor). What's coming OFF the disc is unchanged by whether HDCD decoding is engaged or not.

--Bob

Interesting ... i thought i was getting 20-bit data off the disk with HDCD turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delkat  /t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/2820#post_22830658

Quote:

Is the HDCD light also lit up?

Don't know about a light, but the main display highlights the "HDCD" title. Is that what you were referring to?