Why is Oppo Great? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Is there a reason why so many people seem to love Oppo Blu Ray players so much? I've seen a few in action before and didn't really notice anything warranting the prices I've seen them at.

I mean, sure they look really sleek and well built. But do they really have superior sound and video quality over a basic Blu Ray player? The reviews online for these players read just like the reviews for overpriced cables and interconnects. It almost feels as though these players appear to be of better quality to some, simply because they cost more.

So, are Oppo players special in any way? Or are they overrated?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I have an Oppo BDP 93 and I have a 112" wide screen. I can honestly say that once calibrated the 1080/24p picture was no 'better' than a £100 Sony player I had previously. Am I disappointed? No. It has good HD sound decoding that my old (but great) Arcam AV9 processor can't otherwise make the most of. To replace my AV9 with the newer AV888 would cost me about £3k so not really a priority right now, so £500 for a player is a cheap upgrade by comparison. It passes the picture out without undue messing about of gamma, sharpness or other image 'improvements'.

My Oppo has subtitle shift so when I'm using my A lens and the subtitles get cut off into the black bars, I can raise them up into the picture area: Not many other players offer this option. It can also play my SACD and DVD-A discs in multichannel into the above AV9 with superb results. Also it has a fairly rare option of 'source direct' that means my Lumagen Video processor can do any upscaling and deinterlacing of DVDs or 1080/60i BluRays.

I've never had a disc that wouldn't play in the Oppo (apart from rental discs with very bad fingermarks mad.gif , that played after cleaning), it just gets on and does what it should.

IMHO you don't buy a BluRay player expecting a 'better' picture as in most cases you won't get an improvement unless your existing player does some unnecessary fiddling with the image (some players add sharpening even at 0 for example). Of course you might prefer this 'improved' image, but that's not the point. For watching BluRays on a smaller screen such as a TV using HDMI and the TV sound then maybe a basic £100 player would be a wiser use of money unless you need some of the Oppo features such as the networking (that I don't use myself).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 77
It's all the things that Oppo players do. They are much more than DVD and Blu-Ray players. If all you need is what most players do, then an Oppo is overkill and you can't justify the price. But if you need a player that can play just about any media type, that offers superior processing for standard video, can handle PAL and NTSC, and has many, many other features, there is nothing that comes near it for anywhere near its price. In addition you get superior build quality, a much longer warranty and the best support offered by an consumer electronics company. This makes it worth the price to its customers. Oppos, though, are not for everyone.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 06:23 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 327
OPPO is an enthusiast's brand and this is an enthusiast's forum, hence the amount of attention.

It's a small company selling direct to the consumer. Their products have always had aggressive price/performance: they pull high-end features into mid-range players at prices that were not available before.

It's less important now, but during the DVD era they always excelled at the very difficult aspects of video processing. Calibrators say the players always produce textbook video levels, something not all brands do, although we have very little public test results these days.

They take care of "legacy" customers: still supporting the old SVCD format, still getting the most out of DVD and providing analog audio. They kept component video until licensing killed it this year.

Lots of little features that add up for the movie buff: 50hz content and optional output, Constant Image Height stretch, shiftable subtitles, informative On Screen Display.

More and more media types, increasing use of DLNA and now SMB, digital inputs and the Roku Streaming Stick.

Finally, legendary customer support. We see posts every day of above and beyond efforts by OPPO, things I wouldn't do, and I'm as helpful as I can be.

-Bill
post #5 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
If all you need is BluRay capability and Netflix streaming, using digital audio, then yes, a less expensive player is all you need (although Oppo provides better build quality and better customer service). But if you have a large SD DVD collection and want the best upconversion capabilities, and if you use analog audio, then Oppo provides great value (with excellent audio at least as good as more expensive dedicated CD players). It all depends on what features are important to you.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Because their name is a palindrome!

Cheers.

Tony

P.S. actually they make incredible products that combine excellent audio and video capabilities with world-class customer service. Sadly, there are not very many others like that.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

OPPO is an enthusiast's brand and this is an enthusiast's forum, hence the amount of attention.
It's a small company selling direct to the consumer. Their products have always had aggressive price/performance: they pull high-end features into mid-range players at prices that were not available before.
It's less important now, but during the DVD era they always excelled at the very difficult aspects of video processing. Calibrators say the players always produce textbook video levels, something not all brands do, although we have very little public test results these days.
They take care of "legacy" customers: still supporting the old SVCD format, still getting the most out of DVD and providing analog audio. They kept component video until licensing killed it this year.
Lots of little features that add up for the movie buff: 50hz content and optional output, Constant Image Height stretch, shiftable subtitles, informative On Screen Display.
More and more media types, increasing use of DLNA and now SMB, digital inputs and the Roku Streaming Stick.
Finally, legendary customer support. We see posts every day of above and beyond efforts by OPPO, things I wouldn't do, and I'm as helpful as I can be.
-Bill

+1.

Jacob
post #8 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Oppo Customer Service is fantastic. I had a loading mechanism problem occur after 3 years of ownership. I paid shipping to them and once they received it they repaired it that day and sent it back to me the next day without any charges.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok. Yeah I'm not in the market for a Blu Ray player that does anything else besides play Blu Rays. So from what I'm reading, it wouldn't be for me.

I understand it's an enthusiast's brand, but I know many enthusiast brands are for enthusiasts because of their superior performance. If we are talking about simply a Blu Ray player, the Oppo sounds overkill. While if we are talking about an all around high quality media player, it sounds like the best option. All of your needed playback capabilities in one.

I think you guys explained it pretty well. I think I understand the high praise now. It isn't so much about it simply being a vastly superior Blu Ray playback device, but a great all in one device with great customer service and build quality. If I'm ever in the market for something like that, then I'll know where to look.

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page