Bizarre problem with blue-ray sound - AVS Forum
Blu-ray Players > Bizarre problem with blue-ray sound
David Kaiser's Avatar David Kaiser 03:50 PM 12-24-2012
Merry Christmas. I hope some one can help me with this problem; it's going to sound nuts, but believe me, it's happening.

Some months ago I moved and bought a new Samsung HD TV. I already had a Samsung Blue-ray player. Unfortunately, I bought the damn TV at BJ's and it wasn't until after I set it up that I discovered its wiring options were inferior to my previous one. I also have a Sony home entertainment speaker system, and in the past I had just sent audio from the tv into that system. But this new tv didn't have audio output jacks--it was a stripped-down version--so that was out. With some help, I found a solution. The Sony system has two inputs, and I ran one volume input through RCA cables from the cable box into it for TV audio, and a second set of RCA cables from the Blue-ray player into the second input in the entertainment center, and everything was fine.

Until yesterday.

Yesterday I discovered, playing a DVD, that while the BACKGROUND noise and music of the movie was still coming through the home entertainment center, the DIALOGUE was not. It was however coming through the TV. (The Blue Ray player is of course hooked to the TV with an HDMI cable.) So the only way to watch the movie was to turn the sound on the TV way up to hear the dialogue, and that's very inferior sound. I initially thought, maybe this is only this particular DVD, but no, it isn't.

I have to think this must be some weird setting on the Blue-ray player or the home entertainment center of which I am not aware. (The home entertainment center is about 12 years old, by the way.) I assure you that until yesterday, everything had worked just fine for five months. Thanks in advance.

DK

Roger Dressler's Avatar Roger Dressler 05:45 PM 12-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kaiser View Post

I also have a Sony home entertainment speaker system, and in the past I had just sent audio from the tv into that system. The Sony system has two inputs, and I ran one volume input through RCA cables from the cable box into it for TV audio, and a second set of RCA cables from the Blue-ray player into the second input in the entertainment center, and everything was fine.
I'm assuming your Sony system is a basic stereo system, not a full surround system, because you are feeding it 2-ch audio instead of the surround signals you can get from both the cable box and the BD player.

I suspect you BD player's analog outputs think it s driving a 5.1 surround system. Check the player's audio setup menu and make sure it is outputting stereo audio all the time. It appears the Sony is only getting the L/R channels of the 5.1 soundtrack, instead of a stereo downmix of the entire thing.
David Kaiser's Avatar David Kaiser 07:08 PM 12-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

I'm assuming your Sony system is a basic stereo system, not a full surround system, because you are feeding it 2-ch audio instead of the surround signals you can get from both the cable box and the BD player.
I suspect you BD player's analog outputs think it s driving a 5.1 surround system. Check the player's audio setup menu and make sure it is outputting stereo audio all the time. It appears the Sony is only getting the L/R channels of the 5.1 soundtrack, instead of a stereo downmix of the entire thing.

You're correct about the Sony system, Roger. The Samsung player's audio settings at the moment are
Digital Output: PCM
PCM Down sampling: On
Dynamic Compression: On
Downmixing mode: Normal Stereo (option is surround compatible. I tried both options and the problem persists.

Many thanks for your help--I hope you have more ideas!

David Kaiser
Roger Dressler's Avatar Roger Dressler 08:43 PM 12-24-2012
What model is the BD player? Sometimes they have two sets of analog output jacks. 2 jacks for stereo, and another 6 for the 5.1 audio. If yours is like that, maybe you connected to the L/R of the 5.1 output instead of the L/R of the stereo output.
David Kaiser's Avatar David Kaiser 07:52 AM 12-25-2012
Thank you for a wonderful Christmas present. That did it!

Happy holidays!

DK
Up
Mobile  Desktop