Denon DBT 3313 Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 295 Old 05-01-2014, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hello

I have one DBT-3313 UDCI, which is an E3 version sold in USA.

Couple hours ago, I switched the player on and did a huge mistake -- There was an external USB 3.0 hdd plugged into USB port.

Although I did use the USB HDD several times without any problem, I had always unplugged it right before turning off the unit

Now the player is unusable -- I can turn on, the "DENON" mark appears in the TV, my receiver does recognize the HDMI connection. I can also open the disc drawer with the remote or event using the key in the front panel... but the display is blank, and the blue "denon link" does not lit as well.

Two possibilities I'm considering -- the excess of electric flow passing through USB has "burnt" the player electronic board. It's also possible that during the start up, the player loaded the executable contents of the HDD, such as the utilities provided by Samsung to manage the files, etc... as if they were a firmware update

"cold reset", I mean, unpluggin the mains cord for several minutes did not work.

I know that Denon Europe has a firmware download page, however the access is only granted upon inputting a serial number.

Kindly ask anyone in Europe, which has a DBT 3313, to provide a hint on the first numbers of players sold there. Mine starts with "331390xxx"

Since the unit seems to require repair, my last hope is download a firmware and try to "force it" into the unit...

Thank you very much for reading this post.

Roberto

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 295 Old 05-01-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Manual page 9:
• USB memory devices will not work via a USB hub.
• It is not possible to use this unit by connecting the unit’s USB port to a PC via a USB cable.
• Do not use an extension cable when connecting a USB memory device. This may cause radio interference
with other devices.
Be sure to turn the power off when inserting or removing a USB memory device. Data stored in the USB memory device or the memory of the unit may be damaged.
• Compatibility of all USB memory devices is not guaranteed.
• For reformatting a USB memory device, format it with FAT16 or FAT32.

I think the right way is always to turn off the unit before connecting or disconnecting the USB device.
post #273 of 295 Old 05-01-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto1974 View Post

Hello
I know that Denon Europe has a firmware download page, however the access is only granted upon inputting a serial number.

Kindly ask anyone in Europe, which has a DBT 3313, to provide a hint on the first numbers of players sold there. Mine starts with "331390xxx"

I just checked and the firmware.denon.eu site only provides the changelog, not the actual firmware itself for this unit.

If you are using it through an avr try and connect it from the other HDMI port. it may have reset something.

post #274 of 295 Old 05-01-2014, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the help Artouter and Venon 1313 !

Indeed this was a fatal fault from my side. Until March I had a DBT1713 and luckly still have a spare DBP1611 to use as interim replacement!

I've never faced any problem with USB devices; I always turn off the player when inserting or removing... but the HDD had several executable files which came from Samsung. I still believe that high amperage required to cold start an HDD or the files were the cause of this issue. Denons are like rocks.... very hard but of course not bullet proof!

Regarding the firmware for download, I've given up the idea of overwriting the current one with another one... Did some research today and no matter if the USB "burnt" the main board or the executable files in my HDD somehow erased the player's firmware.... a new main board will be necessary. The IC which contains the programs (interface, media player, decoders) should never be exposed to other kind of binary data...

Bottom line... I got a wonderful, but "bricked" player in my shelf :(

Anyway, than you very much for the advice. If somebody finds out a solution, I'd gladly accept.

post #275 of 295 Old 05-02-2014, 01:48 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by venon1313 View Post

No problem! I'm from Brazil and probably my english is worst than yours! biggrin.gif
Go to this page http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix/old-versions and download version 5.8.0. Extract the files and doubleclick mmg.exe
At the top-right corner click “Add” to add the file you want to remux. At the lower right corner you can click "browse" to choose where you want to save the new file.
Click on “Start muxing”.

To venon1313!!!

Thanks!!! Now it's super! Mkv files play ok!

Good advice!!
post #276 of 295 Old 05-02-2014, 01:25 PM

Hello

Just found out what happened to my DBT 3313, and would like to share with everybody to help you to protect your equipment...

a) There is a PCB in the front panel, which holds the display, circuit with button switches, etc. Somehow the use of HDD has burnt this PCB. Most noticeable damage was in the display. A burn mark was found in the right side;

b) The damage caused to the front panel PCB has also damaged the main PCB

Bottom line -- The product is really outstanding, and the damage was caused by improper use from my side. If anybody wants to play files instead of optical disks, I'd recommend to consider the risks and losses... A defective "cheap" $10 flash drive can ruin a superb $ 1000 machine....

P.S. My unit had to be scrapped, since replacement of both boards and labor for the repais would cout more than $ 500

post #277 of 295 Old 05-11-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto1974 View Post

Hello
Just found out what happened to my DBT 3313, and would like to share with everybody to help you to protect your equipment...

a) There is a PCB in the front panel, which holds the display, circuit with button switches, etc. Somehow the use of HDD has burnt this PCB. Most noticeable damage was in the display. A burn mark was found in the right side;

b) The damage caused to the front panel PCB has also damaged the main PCB

Bottom line -- The product is really outstanding, and the damage was caused by improper use from my side. If anybody wants to play files instead of optical disks, I'd recommend to consider the risks and losses... A defective "cheap" $10 flash drive can ruin a superb $ 1000 machine....

P.S. My unit had to be scrapped, since replacement of both boards and labor for the repais would cout more than $ 500

Roberto, That really sucks!

I am still not quite sure how this could happen. If one plug an hdd that require more amp than what the device can handle, that device should not burn out! but simply not provide the power, at which point the disk fails to run, I have had that on laptops before where the drive fails to spin and all you get is the arms trying to seek.

the usb port on the bdt should also be protected not to receive power back from the usb drive. I have seen devices that didn't have this protection, such as arduinos, but these are very cheap boards for developer, not £1000 high end home cinema equipment.

Who told you it was your fault and why the warranty would not cover such thing?

post #278 of 295 Old 05-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTourter View Post

I am still not quite sure how this could happen. If one plug an hdd that require more amp than what the device can handle, that device should not burn out! but simply not provide the power, at which point the disk fails to run, I have had that on laptops before where the drive fails to spin and all you get is the arms trying to seek.

the usb port on the bdt should also be protected not to receive power back from the usb drive. I have seen devices that didn't have this protection, such as arduinos, but these are very cheap boards for developer, not £1000 high end home cinema equipment.

Distressed to read about this costly mishap.

I'm betting on a jolt of static electricity being the culprit..
post #279 of 295 Old 05-12-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTourter View Post

Hi ArTourter

In my case there was no warranty -- In Brazil most high end components are purchased from gray market through local sites similar to e-bay. One player which retail price in United States is approximately $ 900 costs 3 times (or even more) if purchased in an authorized dealer.

In my case, I paid "just" $ 1300... so I was not eligible to any warranty. Although I purchased a "brand new" player, it was "as it is...". I took the risk... and was not so lucky.

Regarding your comment on cheap boards, I wouldn't say the current denon's are cheap products but you will certainly get surprised if you dismantle yours.... The main board costs $450 (in US) but is no longer a complex one like those used in the DVD 3910 (which I also own and have looked inside) or even DBP-2012.

The 3313 main board measures approximately 6 x 8 inches and is quite "lean".... Except the main chip and connectors, all you can see are other are very small SMD's (those chip's which are glued to the board and very hard do replace). There is not so much to replace...

Last, but not least... I'd share with you some findings on the components. Hope you enjoy

Optical drive -- Very same as the one used in DBP 1713 except the drawer color which is brown in the case of 3313 while 1713 uses a black one. The brown denon steel shell actually just hides the same modular BD/DVD player for both models. It´s manufactured in China by "www.asatech.cc"

Bracket for optical drive -- While the optical drive for the 1713 is fixed through screws straight to the chassis, the 3313 has rubber mounts and optical drive is wrapped in foams stripes to reduce vibration. This was the first significant physical diference which I found between the two models...

Power source board -- Almost the same as DBP 1713 (actually there is one wiring harness more in 3313 which feeds the digital to analog board with energy)

LCD board -- Roughly it is the same used in DBP-1713, except the addition of one blue LED for "Denon Link". Same resin board, same IC's and flat cables

Housing -- Top cover is the same as DBP1713, with an extra layer of steel sheet (which is welded to the inner surface of the cover). Under the main chassis, there are two steel sheets which are bolted... Those are located above the plastic feet, just to add more weight (and stability to the player)

Aluminum front -- At least a I found a second significant difference!

Bottom line -- To me it was too frustrating that in terms of hardware (in the physical sense of word) both models are quite the same. I was expecting a huge gap... since 3313 costs almost twice as 1713. Far from criticizing this brand which I still consider the best (for my budget) and by far above the level of a mass consumer player.

Cheers

post #280 of 295 Old 05-16-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by IvanVest

"Distressed to read about this costly mishap.

I'm betting on a jolt of static electricity being the culprit.."

Maybe the extra electric current required when the HDD motor starts to spin...

post #281 of 295 Old 06-08-2014, 11:19 PM

Being a late developing technophobe ,brought about by advancing years i have what may appear to be a rather silly question that could do with a sensible answer please.
Can i just connect this player straight to a tv ? or must the audio signal go through a receiver ? if i can connect straight to a tv and let that handle the sound do i just connect the video hdmi lead straight to tv or must i connect both audio and video ?
post #282 of 295 Old 06-09-2014, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by busby1 View Post

Being a late developing technophobe ,brought about by advancing years i have what may appear to be a rather silly question that could do with a sensible answer please.
Can i just connect this player straight to a tv ? or must the audio signal go through a receiver ? if i can connect straight to a tv and let that handle the sound do i just connect the video hdmi lead straight to tv or must i connect both audio and video ?
You can just connect 1 x HDMI to your tv and good to go, you may want to look at what the best audio signal setting so it down resolves it to 2ch sound
post #283 of 295 Old 06-09-2014, 01:52 AM

thanks , take it that will be the video out on the denon then ?
post #284 of 295 Old 06-09-2014, 01:53 AM

Yeah monitor out should be fine
post #285 of 295 Old 06-09-2014, 02:08 AM

Thank you .................on another subject but related to this player i understand that its not wifi ....................does it really matter ? I have a panasonic dt65b which is loaded with smart connectivty for netflix,you tube etc so is it necessary to have a blu ray player with wifi ? i understand firmware upgrades are easier as is access to some bd live features but is there an overwhelming reason why i should get a blu ray with wifi ? perhaps it would upscale the youview netflix etc but not sure about that ?
post #286 of 295 Old 06-09-2014, 03:59 AM

You need a network connection if you wish to do firmware or stream content there are several options to connect up the player either direct into you router, into wifi bridge device or into a power line device, the player itself doesn't need to be wireless just needs a way to physically access your home network
post #287 of 295 Old 06-09-2014, 05:00 AM

Thanks i appreciate that but if my tv is smart aware is that any reason why you would stream from the blu ray player as opposed to the tv ? is is better quality ? as far as firmware updates go i would just connect up the ethernet every month or so .
Just trying to wrap my head around why i would need/want smart capability wifi with a blu ray player if i already have it with my tv .
post #288 of 295 Old 06-09-2014, 05:58 AM

If you have a smart tv sounds like your set with your thought process
post #289 of 295 Old 06-09-2014, 10:30 AM

thanks , i must just assume that smart features on a blu ray player are only useful to those people who don't have a smart tv ,i wont worry about the lack of wifi connectivity with this player ,happy enough to connect it up to my wifi on a monthly basis for any firmware updates.
post #290 of 295 Old 06-09-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busby1 View Post

thanks , i must just assume that smart features on a blu ray player are only useful to those people who don't have a smart tv ,i wont worry about the lack of wifi connectivity with this player ,happy enough to connect it up to my wifi on a monthly basis for any firmware updates.
If you can connect an ethernet cable to the Denon dbt 3313 I think you should compare picture and sound quality of Netflix between Denon and your TV. When I play some Super HD content from Netflix through Denon dbt 3313 the picture quality is outstanding. Anyway, I believe if there is any difference in quality it is probably marginal.
post #291 of 295 Old 07-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Is there a way to control this player via IP?

I currently control my AVR-4520CI and elite pro60x5fd via IP commands from an application. I'd like to do the same to the blueray player.
post #292 of 295 Old 07-19-2014, 11:06 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchris04 View Post
Is there a way to control this player via IP?

I currently control my AVR-4520CI and elite pro60x5fd via IP commands from an application. I'd like to do the same to the blueray player.
I don't think so, the UD is a DLNA player and not a Renderer. I'm amazed by it's streaming SQ with Denonlink though. Better then Airplaying the 4520 directly. Am I making sence?
post #293 of 295 Old 07-19-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benga View Post
I don't think so, the UD is a DLNA player and not a Renderer. I'm amazed by it's streaming SQ with Denonlink though. Better then Airplaying the 4520 directly. Am I making sence?
I wasn't referring to upnp commands for media content. I wanted to use IP/RS232 to control the player instead of using IR. Similiar to how you can on their AVRs.
post #294 of 295 Old 07-20-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benga View Post
I use the marantz app for my 8801 and it has player view which allows me to control the 3313, I believe it maybe using HDMI control but it is iP control just via the AVR, works really well
Benga likes this.
post #295 of 295 Old 07-20-2014, 02:21 PM

Does anybody know the HEX codes for discrete power on and power off?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Blu Ray Disc Player Dbt 3313udci , Blu Ray Players , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page