Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 309 Old 05-28-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcrime66 View Post

Did the firmware update. I confirm multi channel flacs stream from dlna as well as from the front USB. Loving it.

I noticed better remote handling using my Harmony. While scrolling down it would regurarily skip multiple entries in a list while I meant to go just one up or down. Didn't have this issue scrolling files on the AVR using the same remote. After the DBT update I don't have to be as 'careful' scrolling.

As with the update before this one...no gapless streaming yet. Come on guys at Denon DBT...where's your pride? The AVR team did it the last time around!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had the same problem with my Harmony Touch. I just reduced the speed in Myharmony and it was all good. You are absolutely right about gapless. It makes all the difference.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 309 Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Did the firmware update. I confirm multi channel flacs stream from dlna as well as from the front USB. Loving it.

I noticed better remote handling using my Harmony. While scrolling down it would regurarily skip multiple entries in a list while I meant to go just one up or down. Didn't have this issue scrolling files on the AVR using the same remote. After the DBT update I don't have to be as 'careful' scrolling.

As with the update before this one...no gapless streaming yet. Come on guys at Denon DBT...where's your pride? The AVR team did it the last time around!

Thanks for the informative post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post

............ You are absolutely right about gapless. It makes all the difference.

Indeed.
post #93 of 309 Old 06-17-2013, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
post #94 of 309 Old 06-17-2013, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well you can tell he URL didn't make it. Tried to Google for the supposed upgrade but could not find a thing.

post #95 of 309 Old 06-17-2013, 03:02 PM

Sorry, I guess something happened to the link when I posted it.

I tried posting the link again, but it didn't take. It is called: The Upgrade Company.

Go to Denon and them to DBT-3313.
post #96 of 309 Old 06-17-2013, 03:22 PM

Googled the company name and this discussion on audioholics came up 2nd

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/61665-upgrade-company-sham.html

I would not go down that road.

post #97 of 309 Old 06-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Great link. Thanks.
post #98 of 309 Old 06-17-2013, 07:36 PM

Did you noticed a change in sound quality after last firmware update? I don't know if it's the break in of my Marantz PM 8004 or Denon dbt 3313, or both, but I think something has changed here. Low and high frequencies are less intense but more controlled and natural. What I know is the sound is better then before, but I don't know why.
post #99 of 309 Old 06-19-2013, 02:29 PM

Nope. But use the AVR-3313 DAC -using HD link...I take it you know- and only while streaming FLAC often HD.

I used to have a AVR-2803 so I just continue to be amazed even after 6 months ;-)

post #100 of 309 Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

The denon website says the player is controllable via their app but it can't find it. I saw a post on here saying the app won't control it. Anyone have more information on that?

I need roomie to be able to control it and roomie isn't detecting it either
post #101 of 309 Old 08-11-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

The denon website says the player is controllable via their app but it can't find it. I saw a post on here saying the app won't control it. Anyone have more information on that?

I need roomie to be able to control it and roomie isn't detecting it either

The Denon app DOES control the DBT-3313. However...you must do so via a Denon AVR that support device control over HDMI.

Since the DBT is a DLNA Digital Media Player it is not accesible via the LAN interface.

Setup the DBT so it will communicate with the AVR by setting HDMI-Control on.

Start the app and start the AVR (via the app if you please).
Select the input channel for your DBT.
Hit the apps button on the top right just above the on/off button. (Mine is in Dutch...should say something like 'player display' or 'player control').
Hit the power button to turn on you DBT.

Rock & Roll.

Still can't wait for HDMI support in the paid DeRemote app which I always use.
Please let us know if Roomie does the trick once you have enabled HDMI control. Provided you have a supporting AVR of course. In any case it will have to be AVR control messages sent. The AVR will relay them via HDMI to the DBT. Would love to hear Roomie does the trick.

post #102 of 309 Old 08-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Denon app DOES control the DBT-3313. However...you must do so via a Denon AVR that support device control over HDMI.

Since the DBT is a DLNA Digital Media Player it is not accesible via the LAN interface.

Setup the DBT so it will communicate with the AVR by setting HDMI-Control on.

Start the app and start the AVR (via the app if you please).
Select the input channel for your DBT.
Hit the apps button on the top right just above the on/off button. (Mine is in Dutch...should say something like 'player display' or 'player control').
Hit the power button to turn on you DBT.

Rock & Roll.

Still can't wait for HDMI support in the paid DeRemote app which I always use.
Please let us know if Roomie does the trick once you have enabled HDMI control. Provided you have a supporting AVR of course. In any case it will have to be AVR control messages sent. The AVR will relay them via HDMI to the DBT. Would love to hear Roomie does the trick.

Thanks ill give this a try later. I saw the HDMI control option yesterday but I wasnt sure what it was.
post #103 of 309 Old 08-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

Thanks ill give this a try later. I saw the HDMI control option yesterday but I wasnt sure what it was.

HDMI control allows use of HDMI without AVR-3313 having to be powered on. If it's enabled, front panel light of AVR-3313 will glow red instead of being OFF when AVR is powered off.

I use it, with control by Harmony One programmable remote control, to be able to watch TV with AVR powered off. You can also use it to power ON/OFF other supported kit if that option is also enabled in set-up configuration.
post #104 of 309 Old 08-23-2013, 11:24 PM

Liked: 54
Just got my DBT-3313 player set up yesterday and am very impressed with it. However, I would like to check and update it's firmware. I went to look for a firmware file at denon.co.uk but there is only a change log. The user manual states the unit gets it's updates through the network, but as I don't have my player connected to the web isn't there any other way of updating firmware? Via file on a USB stick? Anybody? Or is a network connection the only option? (weird, if so)

Thanks to anyone in the know smile.gif

RickyDeg

| PRIMARE SP33 (processor/DAC)

| PRIMARE A30.7 (multichannel amp)

KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray transport)

NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD music server)

ISOTEK AQUARIUS (mainsfilter)

post #105 of 309 Old 08-23-2013, 11:55 PM

Bump.

How about: http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/pages/home.aspx
Hit support -> faq-> ask a question

Used both the US and Dutch helpdesk. Response times vary. Should be a couple of days max probably depending on the question.

If I remember well you need to keep your DBTs serial handy when registering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
post #106 of 309 Old 08-24-2013, 08:35 AM

Liked: 10
Hi,

As far as I know, annoyingly, updates via network only.
post #107 of 309 Old 08-24-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo1978 View Post

Hi,

As far as I know, annoyingly, updates via network only.

Yes, it would appear that way. Thank you.
This limitation is rather annoying indeed. I have practical problems getting a network connection where the player is stationed rolleyes.gif

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #108 of 309 Old 08-24-2013, 01:56 PM

Apart from the limitation in firmware updates and the machine not memorizing last dimmer setting after powering down, this Denon is by far the best blu-ray I've owned, and certainly better than my Oppo BDP-93, and that one wasn't exactly bad. But I never been all too impressed with the Oppos, which is controversial to say, I know (maybe not in this thread though... haha). Denon knows how to make quality a/v disc players!

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #109 of 309 Old 08-24-2013, 02:46 PM

^
I am reading these posts to determine if this player will be my next one. I presently have an Oppo 95, so I would like to know how the Denon beats out the Oppo.

I have no flag to wave, no axe to grind and I am not trying to start an argument, I am seriously interested in your opinion.

What makes me interested in this player is pairing it with one of the new AV's from Denon, possibly the 4520, that utilize the new Denon Link.
post #110 of 309 Old 08-24-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post

^
I am reading these posts to determine if this player will be my next one. I presently have an Oppo 95, so I would like to know how the Denon beats out the Oppo.

I have no flag to wave, no axe to grind and I am not trying to start an argument, I am seriously interested in your opinion.

What makes me interested in this player is pairing it with one of the new AV's from Denon, possibly the 4520, that utilize the new Denon Link.

Here is what I posted on What Hifi forum the other day, of my personal experience. Might be of interest:

"Just went from Oppo BDP-93 to the Denon DBT-3313UD transport player, and it's quite a stunner. Surely the Oppo's have always been great, but this top model Denon is a few steps above. Not only is it faster, more responsive and more quiet in operation - it has the most wonderfully smooth rubberised loading tray I ever encountered. Sturdiness and build quality is fantastic - it truly is built like a tank. Best of all for me though is that the picture feed doesn't jerk and studder during certain difficult panning scenes - a problem I often had with the Oppo. Splitting the audio / video completely into two HDMI's have also brought slight improvements, something the Oppo could also do but not altogether the same way as this Denon model does. Other than that picture quality is on par with the Oppo, the Denon possibly a slight edge in overall clarity and shadow detailing, but not by much. Everything else about it screams higher quality. Audio to my NuForce processor also seem to exhibit a touch more 'weight' and 'body' than I experienced through the Oppo listening to soundtracks I'm very familiar with.

Always been a fan of top model Denons players and this one is no different. Was first looking at the Marantz UD7007, but seeing as I am in no need of all those analogue outputs the idea of a purist transport like this is brilliant (much like their past model DVD-2500BT that I also owned). In the 'right' system the Marantz or Oppo's are great I reckon, and in the 'right' system this Denon is equally great. Why pay for things I have no intention of using, many of which Oppo insist upon stuffing into their machines, however good they are, including the newer BDP-103/105."

I'd think that if you'd get this player with the AVR-4520 you would be pleased. Denon's receivers are usually great.

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #111 of 309 Old 08-24-2013, 03:47 PM

^
Thanks, I appreciate the comments.

If anyone else has experience with these two players, I would love to hear of them. Especially if you are now using the new Denon Link.
post #112 of 309 Old 08-25-2013, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post

^
Thanks, I appreciate the comments.

If anyone else has experience with these two players, I would love to hear of them. Especially if you are now using the new Denon Link.

I have been using the AVR-4520 and DBT-3313 plus the Denon HD link for about 8 months and it is a great combination. Blu-Ray picture and sound is amazing and I use it as my primary source for CD listening. A truly wonderful combination, highly recommended.
post #113 of 309 Old 08-26-2013, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcduie View Post

I have been using the AVR-4520 and DBT-3313 plus the Denon HD link for about 8 months and it is a great combination. Blu-Ray picture and sound is amazing and I use it as my primary source for CD listening. A truly wonderful combination, highly recommended.

I was using denonlink with the matching 3313 receiver for five months and didn't notice any difference. The sound to my new and better yamaha 2020 receiver which doesnt benefit from denonlink is a higher league. How much of an issue is jitter anyway?

I can think of reasons for buying this player such as great build, quiet tray etc... But denonlink isn't one of them to me.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #114 of 309 Old 08-26-2013, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post

Splitting the audio / video completely into two HDMI's have also brought slight improvements,

Comments like that might please the marketing people from manufacturers but in reality it's not true. The HDMI spec requires video to be sent in addition to audio to work. You can't send audio alone. So the second HDMI that you are using is still sending a video feed, a black screen, to your receiver. So youre not splitting anything really just wasting an HDMI cable.

The real benefits of two HDMI outs is if your receiver is not 3D enabled or you want to use two displays. Nobody expect any improvement in either audio or video quality by using two outs.

post #115 of 309 Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Comments like that might please the marketing people from manufacturers but in reality it's not true. The HDMI spec requires video to be sent in addition to audio to work. You can't send audio alone. So the second HDMI that you are using is still sending a video feed, a black screen, to your receiver. So youre not splitting anything really just wasting an HDMI cable.

The real benefits of two HDMI outs is if your receiver is not 3D enabled or you want to use two displays. Nobody expect any improvement in either audio or video quality by using two outs.

I've heard that before. It could absolutely be true, but I'm not so sure. My processor tells me flat out that it is NOT receiving a video feed. The status info on the processor simply reads "audio input: audio locked / video input: no video" and naturally that means it does not get a video feed from the Denon. If it did receive a video feed it would simply tell me that because it does so for other HDMI inputs that feeds both. For some reason I trust my processor, lol. Also, I've always been of the opinion that it's better to route a video signal directly to the display instead of having it go through yet another line of circuits in a processor or receiver, so that's another benefit of splitting HDMI outputs as far as I'm concerned (the benefit of 3D you mention is of no personal interest to me). What I can say is audio and video in my set-up is tad more clear compared to when I sent both via one and the same HDMI cable routed through the processor, there are no doubts about that. Small differences, but improving differences nonetheless. I've tried both options with this Denon but 'A/V Pure Direct' is working quite well.

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

post #116 of 309 Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've heard that before. It could absolutely be true, but I'm not so sure. My processor tells me flat out that it is NOT receiving a video feed. The status info on the processor simply reads "audio input: audio locked / video input: no video" and naturally that means it does not get a video feed from the Denon.

Here is a thread on this site where the very subject is discussed

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1179913/can-hdmi-do-audio-only

I've no idea what your processor is saying, perhaps that is what it says since it will be only receiving a black screen down the video pins.

Any perceived improvement in quality by "separating" the streams is just placebo. What the likes of Denon and Pioneer etc... are promoting is snake oil. Do some google or drop an email to HDMI.org and ask them if you want absolute certainty.

post #117 of 309 Old 08-26-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Here is a thread on this site where the very subject is discussed

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1179913/can-hdmi-do-audio-only

I've no idea what your processor is saying, perhaps that is what it says since it will be only receiving a black screen down the video pins.

Any perceived improvement in quality by "separating" the streams is just placebo. What the likes of Denon and Pioneer etc... are promoting is snake oil. Do some google or drop an email to HDMI.org and ask them if you want absolute certainty.

Having separate HDMI outputs ( one for Video, one for Audio), is a massive plus for me. I have the Audio setup as 2 channel stereo (Audyssey) and the Video side for Blu-Ray ( DTS-HD etc.) I do not have to keep changing the Audio settings ( Denon remembers per input) when I switch from CD's to Blu-Ray. As for the perceived sound difference, I just used the recommended connections ( HDMI + DenonLink) it all sounds great using the AVR-4520 , a very suitable companion. Not sure why people try and belittle someones opinion ( e.g Snake oil etc..) . I bought them as a combination that should work well together , and sound great and that is the case.The AVR-4520 is "head and shoulders" better than my previous AVr ( Denon 2310), and I am extremely happy with the pair.
post #118 of 309 Old 08-26-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcduie View Post

Having separate HDMI outputs ( one for Video, one for Audio), is a massive plus for me. I have the Audio setup as 2 channel stereo (Audyssey) and the Video side for Blu-Ray ( DTS-HD etc.) I do not have to keep changing the Audio settings ( Denon remembers per input) when I switch from CD's to Blu-Ray. As for the perceived sound difference, I just used the recommended connections ( HDMI + DenonLink) it all sounds great using the AVR-4520 , a very suitable companion. Not sure why people try and belittle someones opinion ( e.g Snake oil etc..) . I bought them as a combination that should work well together , and sound great and that is the case.The AVR-4520 is "head and shoulders" better than my previous AVr ( Denon 2310), and I am extremely happy with the pair.

I'm not belittling anyone but the manufacturers who sell what is effectively a blatant lie. If anyone wants to believe that sending "audio only" via a HDMI leads to an improvement in quality then so be it. But it should be posted against for the benefit of others who don't know the score.

I'm told that the 4520 is a good amp but that is not what is under discussion. Try it with denonlink on and off and then honestly assess if there is any difference. I couldn't.

post #119 of 309 Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here is what I posted on What Hifi forum the other day, of my personal experience. Might be of interest:

"........ Best of all for me though is that the picture feed doesn't jerk and studder during certain difficult panning scenes - a problem I often had with the Oppo. Splitting the audio / video completely into two HDMI's have also brought slight improvements, something the Oppo could also do but not altogether the same way as this Denon model does. Other than that picture quality is on par with the Oppo, the Denon possibly a slight edge in overall clarity and shadow detailing, but not by much. Everything else about it screams higher quality. .............."

I'd think that if you'd get this player with the AVR-4520 you would be pleased. Denon's receivers are usually great.

I'm seriously considering this machine to pair with my AVR-3313.

That said, how do the video improvements you mention work? I've always though BD is BD and behaves identically on any machine they are played on.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm interested in vertical panning of 1080/24P material.

EDIT2: I've checked the owners manual and one of the colour space options is for YCbCr. Is this YCbCr4:2:2 or YCbCr4:4:4?

Also, is it possible to configure machine to output BD stream as it is on disc (1080/24P)? I didn't see any way to configure this in owners manual.

Sony BDP allow this configuration via the "Original Resolution" system configuration option.

BTW, I've no interest in Oppo; at all.

My current machine is Sony BDP-S790.
post #120 of 309 Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

I'm seriously considering this machine to pair with my AVR-3313.

That said, how do the video improvements you mention work? I've always though BD is BD and behaves identically on any machine they are played on.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm interested in vertical panning of 1080/24P material.

BTW, I've no interest in Oppo; at all.

My current machine is Sony BDP-S790.

In my case with my Samsung LCD the Oppo BDP-93 showed artifacts during certain panning scenes on 1080/24P material (very annoying) which this Denon does not - it's more smooth, and the settings are identical on both players (same HDMI cable as well). Before I bought the Oppo BDP-93 I owned Denons first blu-ray transport DVD-2500BT which also had very smooth panning on the same LCD. This might not be the case in your circumstance though, as many Oppo users are happy with theirs. I was not entierly convinced. The build, sturdiness and speed of this Denon is far better than my experience with Oppo though, which are also important factors to me. I find the audio a tad more lively and dynamic as well, where the Oppo was a bit 'dry'. This was particularly evident on blu-ray concerts I'm very familiar with. I guess in some ways all BD players are equal on some levels, different on others. I have no doubts that the higher quality build and components used in this Denon, or any other higher end BD player, yield a better result than a cheap one. If the differences are worth the money is up to the individual. Some will never hear/see any differences. Depends on your surrounding equipment and your ears/eyes I'd say.

RickyDeg

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Blu Ray Disc Player Dbt 3313udci , Blu Ray Players , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page