Region Free Blu Ray player discussion - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 67 Old 11-26-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I want to get a region free BD player so that I can enjoy some disc from Amazon.uk. I don't have any knowledge of where to start besides having a player modded. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 Old 04-07-2014, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Region Free

Have one myself. Oppo BDP 83. Did it myself. Very, very easy. No soldering. Easy to remove. Works perfectly with Oppo firmware updates.

www.bluraychip.dk      (for Oppo, do it yourself)

www.jvbdigital.nl         (complete players)

post #33 of 67 Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The AVS Multi-region Blu-ray Player Thread

If an AVS multi-region Blu-ray player thread already exists, please delete this one and shoot me a link to the existing thread. Assuming it doesn't, I would like to begin with some multi-region issues I'm having.

I own a few players with which when you press SETUP followed by 8520, a factory menu appears. It shows the BD and DVD region codes. Using the arrow keys, I can reset the password and erase the internal BD data storage. I would like to know how to determine whether you want to change the BD or DVD region. I would also like to know how you change the BD or DVD region from the current region to a region of my choice. How is this done with Seiki and Toshiba players? I have a Yamaha BD-A1010 and an Envizen Digital/Azend Group, Corp./Maxmade BDP-M1061. Maybe there's something I'm forgetting or not doing exactly right. At least if you own one of the Seikis or Toshibas, you'd probibly know what I'm talking about and might be able to tell me what I'm forgetting or what hasn't been explained as precisely elsewhere.
post #34 of 67 Old 06-29-2014, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Region free thread.

Region Free Blu Ray player discussion

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #35 of 67 Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Since the above link comes back to this thread, I assume this is the thread for multiregion bluray. If not please move or delete to appropriate thread.

Im in New Zealand, BD regionB, 240v 50hz. Looking for capacity to play regionA blurays. Already own 2 Panasonic 3D bluray players.

I stumbled across the Panansonic DMP-BDT330GA on B&H.
"Watch Blu-ray movies or stream Internet multimedia content with the Panasonic DMP-BDT330GA Smart 3D Multi-Region/Multi-System Blu-ray Disc Player. This multi-region/multi-system DVD player will play any region Blu-ray or DVD on any TV, and it works on anything from 110 to 240 volts AC, 50 or 60 Hz."
Google isn't bringing up much / anything on it. Anyone had a play with one?

Another option is to buy a normal US Bluray player and have a standalone regionA player on top of my existing set up.

Any thoughts. thanks
post #36 of 67 Old 07-24-2014, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogannz View Post
Since the above link comes back to this thread, I assume this is the thread for multiregion bluray. If not please move or delete to appropriate thread.

Im in New Zealand, BD regionB, 240v 50hz. Looking for capacity to play regionA blurays. Already own 2 Panasonic 3D bluray players.

I stumbled across the Panansonic DMP-BDT330GA on B&H.
"Watch Blu-ray movies or stream Internet multimedia content with the Panasonic DMP-BDT330GA Smart 3D Multi-Region/Multi-System Blu-ray Disc Player. This multi-region/multi-system DVD player will play any region Blu-ray or DVD on any TV, and it works on anything from 110 to 240 volts AC, 50 or 60 Hz."
Google isn't bringing up much / anything on it. Anyone had a play with one?

Another option is to buy a normal US Bluray player and have a standalone regionA player on top of my existing set up.

Any thoughts. thanks
If you own a supported Panasonic Blu-ray player, you can install enhanced firmware to get region free capability for DVD and Blu-ray together with UOP/PUO deactivation and Cinavia free operation.

Panasonic Blu-ray Player Multi Region All Zone Code Free Firmware Upgrade CD

Panasonic All Zone Multi Region Code Free Blu-ray Player Firmware Upgrade

There's also a secial website for Panasonic enhanced firmware upgrades but the moderator here doesn't want links to the site being posted. Google is your friend.
post #37 of 67 Old 07-24-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by antivirus View Post
If you own a supported Panasonic Blu-ray player, you can install enhanced firmware to get region free capability for DVD and Blu-ray together with UOP/PUO deactivation and Cinavia free operation.

Panasonic Blu-ray Player Multi Region All Zone Code Free Firmware Upgrade CD

Panasonic All Zone Multi Region Code Free Blu-ray Player Firmware Upgrade

There's also a secial website for Panasonic enhanced firmware upgrades but the moderator here doesn't want links to the site being posted. Google is your friend.
Thanks for your help.
I found that site in my googling: will revisit
post #38 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Region-free DVD/Blu-ray player with an optical audio output?

Hi there,

I live in Japan but I'm originally from France and own a fairly large number of US (region 1) DVDs. Needless to say this region thingee is quite a headache. I heard that Japan and the US belong to the same region as far as Blu-ray is concerned, but not DVD.

I own a nuforce DDA-100 digital amp which I intend to use. Unfortunately it doesn't have an HDMI input so I have to use the optical one (Toslink coaxial optical).

I haven't bought a DVD player in ages but back then I had just picked a regular DVD player and then just had to enter a code using the remote to make it region-free. Does it work the same with blu-ray players?

Also since the region codes are different for DVDs and Blu-rays, does it mean that if I buy a blu-ray player here in Japan I will be able to play Japanese and European DVDs (region 2) but not US DVDs and Japanese and American Blu-rays (Region A) but not European ones?

Sounds completely moronic to me. Any way to get around that? I can live without being able to play European blu-rays but not without being able to play US DVDs.

Thanks a lot for reading this.
post #39 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom1 View Post
Hi there,

I live in Japan but I'm originally from France and own a fairly large number of US (region 1) DVDs. Needless to say this region thingee is quite a headache. I heard that Japan and the US belong to the same region as far as Blu-ray is concerned, but not DVD.

I own a nuforce DDA-100 digital amp which I intend to use. Unfortunately it doesn't have an HDMI input so I have to use the optical one (Toslink coaxial optical).

I haven't bought a DVD player in ages but back then I had just picked a regular DVD player and then just had to enter a code using the remote to make it region-free. Does it work the same with blu-ray players?

Also since the region codes are different for DVDs and Blu-rays, does it mean that if I buy a blu-ray player here in Japan I will be able to play Japanese and European DVDs (region 2) but not US DVDs and Japanese and American Blu-rays (Region A) but not European ones?

Sounds completely moronic to me. Any way to get around that? I can live without being able to play European blu-rays but not without being able to play US DVDs.

Thanks a lot for reading this.
Many Blu-Ray players can be made region-free for DVD playing with a "secret" code or via readily obtainable software (often free). Almost all (maybe even all) players require a hardware modification to be region-free for Blu-Ray playing. All Blu-Ray players that are region-free for BR discs are also region-free for DVD in my experience. There are plenty of region-free Blu-Ray players available. Just do a search for region-free Blu-Ray player. I assume many of these will be available in Japan.

One disadvantage you will have with only using Toslink is that you will not be able to take advantage of the lossless audio on Blu-Ray discs. Only the lossy core audio sound can be sent through Toslink to your amp. Also be aware that some newer Blu-Ray players are eliminating some audio and video connector types so there may be some out there that don't have Toslink.

post #40 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Many Blu-Ray players can be made region-free for DVD playing with a "secret" code or via readily obtainable software (often free). Almost all (maybe even all) players require a hardware modification to be region-free for Blu-Ray playing. All Blu-Ray players that are region-free for BR discs are also region-free for DVD in my experience. There are plenty of region-free Blu-Ray players available. Just do a search for region-free Blu-Ray player. I assume many of these will be available in Japan.

One disadvantage you will have with only using Toslink is that you will not be able to take advantage of the lossless audio on Blu-Ray discs. Only the lossy core audio sound can be sent through Toslink to your amp. Also be aware that some newer Blu-Ray players are eliminating some audio and video connector types so there may be some out there that don't have Toslink.
Thanks for the info. The problem I have when I search google is A. I don't know how reliable it is, B. I don't know which of the players that show up have a toslink output and C. I don't know if they're not region free when sold in the US and then coded upon importation here. The seller in the shop I went to today told me it was impossible to buy region-free players in Japan. I don't know whether he's required to say that or if it's actually true.

I can live with a single region blu-ray player but would like to be able to play US DVDs.

Also I don't quite understand the stuff about NTSC/Pal and such. Does it only apply to DVDs or to Bluray as well? I have some region 2 DVDs in PAL, will they play on Japanese players (NTSC, also region 2)?
post #41 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Not impossible at all. Just use Amazon.co.jp. Many use the Panasonic. I have a $130 iCom that works fine for DVD and BD playback.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_...ee%2Caps%2C193

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #42 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Also I don't quite understand the stuff about NTSC/Pal and such. Does it only apply to DVDs or to Bluray as well? I have some region 2 DVDs in PAL, will they play on Japanese players (NTSC, also region 2)?
Blu-Ray is Blu-Ray. There are no PAL vs. NTSC Blu-Ray discs. Other than region coding, Blu-Rays use universal formats that can work with any HDTV.

One thing you may have to consider in acquiring a region-free player. You will need to be sure that it can convert PAL to NTSC so it will work with your local NTSC (for DVD purposes) TV. Some TVs are multi-standard but many are not. Not all region-free DVD players can do PAL to NTSC (or vice versa) conversion.

post #43 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Blu-Ray is Blu-Ray. There are no PAL vs. NTSC Blu-Ray discs. Other than region coding, Blu-Rays use universal formats that can work with any HDTV.

One thing you may have to consider in acquiring a region-free player. You will need to be sure that it can convert PAL to NTSC so it will work with your local NTSC (for DVD purposes) TV. Some TVs are multi-standard but many are not. Not all region-free DVD players can do PAL to NTSC (or vice versa) conversion.
I'm not using a TV but a projector. Does it make a difference?

When I see "region-free blu-ray player" I never really know whether "region free" extends to DVDs as well.
post #44 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

While most BDs are 1080p/24, there are a number of 1080i/50 BDs. These are not playable on most US players. The region free iCom will handle PAL/NTSC and has a 110/220 power supply. Depending on the mod used, the Panasonic should be able to handle both also.

S~

post #45 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm not using a TV but a projector. Does it make a difference?
A projector should be able to handle things better than most TVs so you might not need PAL to NTSC conversion. Check the manuals for your projector and see if anything is specified about what video formats it can handle.

I have never heard of a region-free Blu-Ray player that wasn't also region-free for DVD. This doesn't mean that one doesn't exist but it is unlikely that any region-free Blu-Ray player won't also be region-free for DVD.

post #46 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Yep. Any region free BD player I've seen is also region free for DVDs. I have seen several that are region free for DVD but not BD. Projectors can usually handle 25/50. All 3 of mine do. None of my TVs do.

S~

post #47 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

So if I purchase software to just allow me to play region B blurays on my Panny region A player I don't need to be concerned about the PAL/NTSC thing as that only applies to DVD???
Thanks!

Ed
post #48 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

NTSC and PAL are only applicable to standard definition video (i.e., non-HD broadcast and DVD). I'm not sure you'll find a software solution to region-free Blu-Ray playing. All the players I know about that play Blu-Rays out-of-region have a hardware modification (either an internally installed chip or one installed externally via USB). It is possible there are players that only require software or firmware mods to be made region-free but I am not familiar with any.

post #49 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
NTSC and PAL are only applicable to standard definition video (i.e., non-HD broadcast and DVD). I'm not sure you'll find a software solution to region-free Blu-Ray playing. All the players I know about that play Blu-Rays out-of-region have a hardware modification (either an internally installed chip or one installed externally via USB). It is possible there are players that only require software or firmware mods to be made region-free but I am not familiar with any.

Thanks for the explanation-appreciate it!

This is what I was referring to http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-...d=680402088900 .

Maybe I should have said FIRMware......

Ed
post #50 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Not impossible at all. Just use Amazon.co.jp. Many use the Panasonic. I have a $130 iCom that works fine for DVD and BD playback.

S~
i bought the icom as well as a secondary player for region locked titles.
post #51 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Not a bad idea to have a region free player with Disney not selling 3D titles stateside right now.

S~

post #52 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Disney is usually region free I thought - I recently bought the UK Frozen in 3D as well as Need For Speed and both worked in my region A player? City of Ember with Bill Murray is the one that first got me into trouble as well as Caprica on Blu (boy was that not worth it!). Since I use my Sony 590 to stream both Amazon and Netflix with both apps supporting 5.1 Sound, I couldn't just upgrade to an OPPO since it doesn't support both. The bandaid was the cheap, and surprising reliable ICOM for 130 that I literally keep in a drawer and just plug it in for the handful of titles I need it for.
post #53 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Not always. Ratatouille and Need for Speed are both Region B for BD and 2 for DVD.

S~

post #54 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I own Need for Speed in 3D and its region A with the 7.1 track. The other regions did get a release, but with an inferior sound mix. Ratatouille, that's a good find! Didn't realize that one already came out in 3D - strange! I wonder if this will make the rumor of the incredibles being in 3D true as well?
post #55 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

UK Need for Speed UK does have the 5.1 audio track. Maleficent 3D is also Region Locked. Winter Soldier is Region Free.

S~

post #56 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

S~
Thanks I'll get one of those then. I'm surprised that "region free" is a feature openly advertised on a legitimate site such as amazon. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of that region thing.
post #57 of 67 Old 08-14-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Region coding has been a joke almost since the beginning and was cracked almost immediately. The interesting thing is that with Blu-Ray most of the big studios abandoned it. The most frequent region coders these days are the smaller companies like Arrow, Criterion, Kino Lorber, Twilight Time, Studiocanal, Olive Films and others of that ilk. With only a few exceptions the big studios have moved away or are in the process of moving away from region-coding their Blu-Rays. DVDs still tend to be region coded, though.

post #58 of 67 Old 08-18-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have 2 Panny BRPs- a 210 & a 220 that I'm able to play region B Blurays on by hitting Top Menu, Stop, then "1". It'll then play them just fine EXCEPT they won't play 3D Bluray in 3D, only 2D. Just wondering if anyone has had any success play Region B discs in 3D on their Panny players by following this or any other "hack"

Thanks!

Ed
post #59 of 67 Old 09-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
what is the best region free super bit mapping sony player?

what is the best region free super bit mapping sony player?
post #60 of 67 Old 09-28-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i hate to post again but why hasn't anyone given me a response.

i hate to post again but why hasn't anyone given me a response.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg 55lw5600 55 Inch Class 3d Led Tv Full Hd 1080p Resolution Includes 10 Pairs Of Lg 3d Glasses , Lg Bd630 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd640 Network Wireless Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Bdx1200 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd630 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page