Region Free Blu Ray player discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 58 Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Region Free Blu Ray player discussion

Any suggestions? Or is there more than one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 06-20-2009, 12:56 PM

There are several BluRay players that are advertised "Region-Free", Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC and others but you need to read between the lines. These players have been modified to play region free. Some are only region-free for SD DVD and only play region "A" for BluRay. Others are region-free for both SD and BluRay but do not include a "Video Converter" for converting SD PAL to NTSC or SD NTSC to PAL. The world wide standard for BluRay is 1080P/24 there is no NTSC or PAL and thus a video converter is not needed.

The only player that I know that is region-free for SD and BluRay and includes a video converter for SD PAL conversion is the Momitsu BDP-899. I own a Momitsu and can confirm the player is region-free. There players can be purchased at HKFlix.
post #3 of 58 Old 06-20-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
With the new region free firmware and mod kit, the Oppo wins the prize as the best region
free player.
post #4 of 58 Old 06-20-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

With the new region free firmware and mod kit, the Oppo wins the prize as the best region
free player.

What's the difference in using a mod kit? Wouldn't the FW accomplish the same thing?

ss9001

Steve
post #5 of 58 Old 06-20-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

What's the difference in using a mod kit? Wouldn't the FW accomplish the same thing?

ss9001

You could say the mod kit was more permanent plus,hopefully should hold up without issue regarding future updates.
But yes they accomplish the same thing.
post #6 of 58 Old 06-20-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
The problem with firmware is that someone must come up with a new hack each time Oppo updates the firmware. The mod kit is permanent. One could use the firmware unit there is a problem and than get a mod kit. The big thing for me is the that the firmware hack provides the ability to play SD disks from all regions. The hack for Blu-Ray is not that big of a deal for me since I do not own and Blu-Ray disks from other regions.
post #7 of 58 Old 06-20-2009, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

...The big thing for me is the that the firmware hack provides the ability to play SD disks from all regions. The hack for Blu-Ray is not that big of a deal for me since I do not own and Blu-Ray disks from other regions.

I agree with you on this

I don't own an 83 yet, but would like to know where one can get the mod kit. Any link?

Steve
post #8 of 58 Old 12-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Hello. I am looking to purchase a region-free Blu-ray player on a bit of a budget and was wondering if anyone could help me find one with the specific features I am looking for.

I would like a player capable of...

-Playback of any Blu-ray disc from any region
-Playback/conversion of 1080i50 content to a format that my US TV (LG 55LW5600) can recognize
-Playback of 3D Blu-ray content
-Playback of any DVD from any region
-PAL to NTSC conversion for DVDs
-DVD upscaling

In short, I am looking for a player that can play any and every disc without worry. Are there any further specifications that I am forgetting to include?

Does anyone have any ideas for a Blu-ray player that can do all of these things? Ideally, I would like to avoid spending over $250.

Thanks in advance for the help.
post #9 of 58 Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm somewhat frustrated that certain obscure videos are not available in the USA in NTSC format.

I've got two very good, and moderately expensive, though not totally up-to-date players.

Harman Kardon DVD-48 ($450 retail); this is now my CD only player.

Harman Kardon BDP-1 BluRay ($500 retail); this is my movie player.

By the way, I bought these NEW off Ebay. for about 1/3rd the suggested retail price, so I got them cheap, but I wouldn't want to downgrade just to get the region free player.

Having a good players makes me reluctant to upgrade to new Region Free Players because I'm afraid I can't get a player the equal of what I have.

My budget limit is around $200 max, though again reluctant to spend anything.

Does any one know of a really good high quality Region Free PAL-NTSC BluRay Player.

If found two but know nothing about their reliability or performance -

http://www.220-electronics.com/toshiba-bdx1200-region-free-blu-ray-dvd-player.html?origin=product-search&kwd=&source=GoogleProductsPLA&gclid=CMir-_qzyrQCFYpFMgod6goAlg

The Toshiba is cheap enough but it doesn't seem to have an Internet connection. That's OK because I've got a ROKU 2 XS box, but ROKU doesn't include YouTube.

Next an LG box with Internet including YouTube for under $200 -

http://www.220-electronics.com/lg-bd-640-region-free-blu-ray-dvd-player.html

I'm not sure about LG, never really been a brand I favored.

So, does anyone here have any experience with Region Free PAL/NTSC BluRay Players? I'm open to suggestions.

I hope the above links work, if not, here are models -

$_99 = Toshiba BDX1200

$195 = LG BD-640

The LG BD-630 includes Internet with Netflix and YouTube, but not Wireless, and is priced at $175.

I would like to have streaming directly to my TV from YouTube, but while nice, that is not a deal breaker.

I would like to not spend a lot of money because it is only for an obscure video here and there that I can't get in any other format besides PAL.

I need a reliable box, because I can't afford to keep buying new players. I can't even really afford to by this one when I already have two above average players. But, I want to be able to play PAL videos primarily from Europe and Scandinavia, though I wouldn't rule out something on rare occasion from Asia or Australia.

So, any suggestions for good reliable Region Free PAL/NTSC BluRay Players?

Thanks.

Steve/bluewizard
post #10 of 58 Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
bump for member asking for update on region free players.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #11 of 58 Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had the same dilemma and found a bluray region A B C & dvd 1-6 or 0 bluray player called an Orei BDP-M2-the price varies but I got mine for about $130 including s&h. I've had mine for 3 months with zero problems and the build quality is about the same as any of my other bluray players such as my Sony, Panasonic or Samsung.
post #12 of 58 Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if the Region Free Player (Orei BDP-M2) has PAL To NTSC conversion built in?

Also, can I assume you are in the USA?

To other who might find this thread, do you know anything about the Reliability of LG-brand products?

Steve/bluewizard
post #13 of 58 Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM

Hi
I`m also searching for a Region Free Blu ray Player. I am in Canada.
I see that the OREI BDP-M2 does have a built in converter and i have to agree with your''bluewizard " comment about LG and the lack of obscure videos available in the US or Canada.
The reason behind my efforts are that I have just seen the first series of Borgen, The Bridge and The Killing S3 and found that some of these series are only available in Europe. I certainly don't want to wait until a US studio remakes them.

2D/3D Playback
PAL and NTSC Compatible with built-in converter
USB Input
Plays AVI, MP3, MPEG-4, JPG Files from a USB flash drive
Full HD 1080p/24 fps support
Blu Ray Profile 2.0
LAN connection
100-240V Worldwide Voltage
I think I'm going to order this player from Amazon US $159.00 plus
cool.gif
post #14 of 58 Old 03-16-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 411
The problem with Amazon US, they don't ship electnics to Canada.

I'm also looking for a 2d/3d blu-ray player that can play zone B. I son't care about onversion and/or SD DVD because I just don't watch them anymore.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 58 Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Amazon Canada have the Orei for $169.99 now with free shipping for Canadians - http://www.amazon.ca/Orei-BDP-M2-Multi-Region-Player/dp/B00AXEBU0W

Just to confirm, aside from a buggy remote control and the occasional refusal to power cycle back up without shutting off the power (which has stopped now that it's in my shut down bank on the Panamax, cycles every night) the player has been awesome.

Will play Region B locked 1080i50 discs converting to 1080i60 (default setting, you can override this in the set-up area) - has no problem playing my F1 2011 and 2012 Season Review Blu-ray discs which are both REGION B locked and 1080i50.
WIll play PAL > NTSC or vice-versa depending on settings.
Will play 3D Blu-ray discs.

You have to manually change the Blu-ray region coding (if it's set to B you're find obviously will ALL REGION CODED USA discs) but it's an absolute doddle.

1) Press HOME
2) Press 8 5 2 0
3) Highlight Blu-ray
4) Press 1 for A, 2 for B or 3 for C
5) Press HOME to exit

DVD is set to "0" by default which plays anything.
post #16 of 58 Old 03-18-2013, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

Amazon Canada have the Orei for $169.99 now with free shipping for Canadians - http://www.amazon.ca/Orei-BDP-M2-Multi-Region-Player/dp/B00AXEBU0W

Just to confirm, aside from a buggy remote control and the occasional refusal to power cycle back up without shutting off the power (which has stopped now that it's in my shut down bank on the Panamax, cycles every night) the player has been awesome.

Will play Region B locked 1080i50 discs converting to 1080i60 (default setting, you can override this in the set-up area) - has no problem playing my F1 2011 and 2012 Season Review Blu-ray discs which are both REGION B locked and 1080i50.
WIll play PAL > NTSC or vice-versa depending on settings.
Will play 3D Blu-ray discs.

You have to manually change the Blu-ray region coding (if it's set to B you're find obviously will ALL REGION CODED USA discs) but it's an absolute doddle.

1) Press HOME
2) Press 8 5 2 0
3) Highlight Blu-ray
4) Press 1 for A, 2 for B or 3 for C
5) Press HOME to exit

DVD is set to "0" by default which plays anything.
That procedure looks suspiciously close to the one that is employed for the now discontinued Seiki blu ray player sold by Walmart. I am wondering if that resurfaced as Orei at a higher price!
post #17 of 58 Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think if you browse through the region hacks database you'll see this is used for a lot of models.
post #18 of 58 Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Not surprising, same OEM platform, and possibly made in the same factory.

What's happened to the new Seiki with 3D?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=172187

Or this:
http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players/seiki-sr212s/4505-9991_7-35543135.html

BTW for a laugh read the garrulous review of the Seiki 660, the review just kept on and on about the faulty unit:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1WJ46HK15YZE8/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005QP1S3M&nodeID=172282&store=electronics#wasThisHelpful biggrin.gif

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #19 of 58 Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 AM

How is the video quality of the Orei? I'm debating about getting this or splurging on an Oppo modified for region free.
post #20 of 58 Old 05-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

I'm in the us and the video quality of Orei is very good-upscaled dvds look as good as those played on my Oppo DV-983H, blurays look as good as any of my other 5 bluray players. The only slightly odd thing I've noticed about the Orei is that the optical drive is some what noiser than most other players-but other than that-perfect.
Ronin64 likes this.
post #21 of 58 Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Isn't it weird that the no-name brand of BD players are almost double the price of basic BD players from Sony, Panasonic etc. biggrin.gif

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #22 of 58 Old 05-22-2013, 08:55 PM

Well it's one of the least expensive ones that is totally region free. I got my until and it plays excellent. I have noticed that the drive is a bit louder than others, but I don't notice it unless I'm right next to it.
post #23 of 58 Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Just for laughs and giggles I got a Seiki SR212S from Sears today and it looks and acts like a cutdown Orei-no display or internet connectivity. But the A B C and 1-6 region capability are exactly the same as the Orei+it's available as Sears or Kmart.
post #24 of 58 Old 05-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdb View Post

Just for laughs and giggles I got a Seiki SR212S from Sears today and it looks and acts like a cutdown Orei-no display or internet connectivity. But the A B C and 1-6 region capability are exactly the same as the Orei+it's available as Sears or Kmart.

Could you describe how you go about switching the Seiki player from one blu ray region to another? Do you need to press remote control buttons in a certain sequence? Please share the details.

Thanks in advance,
Joel Dickman
post #25 of 58 Old 05-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel dickman View Post

Could you describe how you go about switching the Seiki player from one blu ray region to another? Do you need to press remote control buttons in a certain sequence? Please share the details.

Thanks in advance,
Joel Dickman

See the above posted procedure.
post #26 of 58 Old 05-25-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I originally posted this in the "OFFICIAL 'HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER' THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE" thread but got no real suggestions/recommendations ...

I am looking for a region-free BR and DVD player. I found the following models on amazon - can anyone recommend one over another, or a different make/model altogether?

Orei BDP-M2 $140

Toshiba Bdx1250rf $140

Sharp BD-AMS20 $260

Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD $340

Please note: This is for work purposes so the priorities are:
- dependable playback of any region BR & DVD, including those in PAL format
- fair to good picture quality
- 3D a bonus but not needed
- good build quality (will only be used 2 or 4 days every six months, but need it to work when I fire it up!)
post #27 of 58 Old 05-26-2013, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Very unlikely anyone has personal experience of ALL the players you listed.

- dependable playback of any region BR & DVD, including those in PAL format
No player high or low end guarantees playback of every single disc (notwithstanding region restrictions) because of ever evolving authoring, BD-J and encryption keys. My Seiki 660 (same hack as above) does work for region B but I've only needed to play a few.

"PAL" (50i) is not a technical problem if the player supports it, irrespective of region restrictions.

Nobody routinely tests all the different regions' playback here. If you do require ABC and 0-6 playback only the people selling hardware region mods can offer any guarantee.

- fair to good picture quality
They should all do that. The biggest difference is in DVDs. The Pioneer review can be found online.

- 3D a bonus but not needed
The Pioneer is 3D

- good build quality (will only be used 2 or 4 days every six months, but need it to work when I fire it up!)
Build quality isn't directly related to reliability but of the 4 the Pioneer is the best build in relative terms. It's not built like the previous year's Elites (it is actually only a mid-model in previous years). Still it is the best bet of the lot but it needs firmware hack for other regions (success is unproven on region A units).

Very few people buy the Tosh or Sharp here. People tend to buy sub-$100 Orei/Seiki etc for non-region B as a last resort, not as their regular player used daily: these are rarely if ever as full featured as the mainstream brands and supported with firmware updates.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #28 of 58 Old 05-26-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for getting back to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

Very unlikely anyone has personal experience of ALL the players you listed ...
Figured that - just hoping for recommendation re one or two of the players ... from someone who actually has one.
Quote:

... the Pioneer is the best build in relative terms ... but it needs firmware hack for other regions (success is unproven on region A units).
Where would I find the hack? (I'm Mac only so a PC based hack wouldn't work.)
Quote:

... Very few people buy the Tosh or Sharp here. People tend to buy sub-$100 Orei/Seiki etc for non-region B as a last resort, not as their regular player used daily: these are rarely if ever as full featured as the mainstream brands and supported with firmware updates.
This wouldn't be my regular player, just used occasionally for work purposes.

Maybe the Orei BDP-M2 fits my needs the best. Any known issues? Know they're region free, will they play a PAL disc on my NTSC TV?
post #29 of 58 Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The Pioneer firmware hacks are discussed in the Pioneer threads.

To play PAL on NTSC TV depends on whether the TV supports 50Hz video. If not the player must be able to frame convert. I don't have the Orei but I have the Seiki 660 (same hack as the Orei) which can convert. Last year's Pioneer BDP-140 (which I have too) can also frame convert and can be hacked also (I've not done it). Basically last year's and this year's Pioneer BDPs can be hacked and since there are more users you would have better feedback.

post #30 of 58 Old 05-27-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ Thanks!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg 55lw5600 55 Inch Class 3d Led Tv Full Hd 1080p Resolution Includes 10 Pairs Of Lg 3d Glasses , Lg Bd630 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd640 Network Wireless Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Bdx1200 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd630 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page