Sony BDP-S390 won't play downloaded avi files - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's a European model (I live in Europe) and it says on the box that it plays Xvid .avi, but none of the movies I've downloaded with the .avi extension play, instead giving a 'file is corrupt or incompatible' error.

Using VLC software on Windows, I converted one of the avi files to H.264 + mp3 (mp4), since the box also says it plays MPEG-4 AVC with mkv, mp4, m4v, m2ts and mts extensions

I only need something to play downloaded avi, DVDs and the occasional photo slideshow. The wifi and all that other rubbish (Sony Entertainment Network and the garbage free internet streams) wasn't important.

The fact that the unit doesn't play downloaded avi is a deal-breaker.
Before I take it back, can anyone help?

· Can I do something to the .avi files to make them play?
· If I buy a cheaper LG player, is it likely play downloaded avi files without issue, or will I probably still have the same problem as the Sony unit? EDIT: Is this something to do with the Sony not playing 'DivX' files, but instead only playing 'Xvid'? Does that mean I should look for a player that specifies 'DivX' on the box?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Welcome to AVS. Mods ask that you post questions in the Sony thread. We have discussed streaming there, including using .avi files.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396469/official-sony-bdp-s590-and-bdp-390-thread/2520

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Player , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S390 , Sony Blu Ray Player Bx 39 Bdp S390 , Sony Bdp S390 Blu Ray Disc Player With Built In Wi Fi
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page