Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 3114 Old 05-21-2014, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The two usb ports, with one being on the back was the reaosn I got a couple of the S5100s. It was also the reason I did not get the S5200 because that only had one USB port and it was on the front. I got the S6200 because it had one on the back and front like the S5100. With the two USB ports I can put a USB flash drive in the back USB port for BD-Live content and you can't see it. I can't see ever using the front USB port though. But at leats it's there if i I ever needed to connect something. But I have my real media players to play that content over my network. I don't use my Sony players for that because they are very limited in what they can play back.

That's ok, I think the only format I'll be playing off it is MKV's. Can you confirm that it supports .srt subtitles and chapters inside the MKV container?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3114 Old 05-21-2014, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNZi View Post

That's ok, I think the only format I'll be playing off it is MKV's. Can you confirm that it supports .srt subtitles and chapters inside the MKV container?

Chapters are supported; .srt subs have to be muxed into the container.
post #2973 of 3114 Old 05-26-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Anyone got either the S4100/S5100 connected via Yamaha AVR, audio/video all working ok? DTS decoding, all alright? I want my AVR to say DTS rather than PCM when I get it, just hoping this decodes just fine and works well with my Yamaha.

I have my 5100 connected to a Yamaha RX-V675 and couldn't be happier. Everything works great.
post #2974 of 3114 Old 05-27-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Sorry if this has been asked and answered already in this thread, but the search terms I was using didn't turn up anything relevant.

I have a 3100 connected via optical digital to a 2002 model Panasonic AVR. For the past few months, whenever I stream Netflix, films that have 5.1 audio give an occasional audio pop or chirp, mainly in the rear surrounds. It seems to happen about a dozen times during a two-hour movie, so since it's a bedroom set up I don't use often, I just dealt with it.

But the other night while I was trying to watch Don Jon, the near constant audio distortion (to all speakers) made it unwatchable, so I switched to running the audio through my 2008 model Samsung LCD TV (3100>HDMI>TV>optical>AVR). The distortion stopped, but at the expense of receiving 5.1 audio. I then tested some purchased 5.1 content I have on Amazon VoD, running audio directly from the blu-ray player to the AVR again, and got no audio pop/distortion. Same thing when I watched the Iron Man blu-ray disc.

Has anyone else encountered this or know if there are any settings I can tweak to fix this? Netflix was the primary reason I bought this player last year for the bedroom, so it would be nice if I could start watching it again in 5.1.
post #2975 of 3114 Old 05-27-2014, 03:01 PM

I just got the s1100 and it won't play my region 2 Inside Llewyn Davis. I updated it but when i press enter on the BD-ROM icon, it comes back to the menu in a few seconds. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

post #2976 of 3114 Old 05-27-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Is the s1100 a region free player? Thought these were region locked to A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2977 of 3114 Old 05-27-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Is the s1100 a region free player? Thought these were region locked to A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the region code on the back. it says A. I thought I did my research online and found this was multi-region. Oh well.

post #2978 of 3114 Old 05-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Liked: 14
Sony will be the last company to produce a region-free player smile.gif
post #2979 of 3114 Old 05-28-2014, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Plenty of outlets sell region free versions of these players.
old corps likes this.
post #2980 of 3114 Old 05-29-2014, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Plenty of outlets sell region free versions of these players.
They are significantly more expensive than the region locked versions. You can readily find the vendors via an internet search. Check the fine print on whether or not these versions can receive manufacturer's firmware upgrades w/o losing the region free options. Some can do that, some require obtaining the updated firmware from the vendors to preserve region-free.

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #2981 of 3114 Old 05-31-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone tell me why this player won't upscale 4:3 content to 16:9 (I don't care about 'fat faces' as they are mostly kid shows)? I'm worried about my plasma and black bars. In options I have the it set to Full for non 16:9 content and I think it does scale up DVDs (if I remember correctly), but I have almost all my content ripped to a USB hard drive that's plugged into it to keep my kids out of the discs.

Thanks.
post #2982 of 3114 Old 05-31-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreshour View Post

Can someone tell me why this player won't upscale 4:3 content to 16:9 (I don't care about 'fat faces' as they are mostly kid shows)? I'm worried about my plasma and black bars. In options I have the it set to Full for non 16:9 content and I think it does scale up DVDs (if I remember correctly), but I have almost all my content ripped to a USB hard drive that's plugged into it to keep my kids out of the discs.

Thanks.

I had an exactly opposite problem. I wanted 4:3 content to display correctly, not stretched out to 16:9. It has been a while but, IIRC, the setting that controls what you want done is under Video Setting --> Screen Format. Changing that to "Original" stretched out 4:3 to 16:9 or was it other way around? Anyway, play around with it and we can thank Sony for very intuitive labeling. rolleyes.gif
post #2983 of 3114 Old 06-01-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What's the quickest way for me to get some sweet high-def audio from my 5100? Is there something downloadable that would play? I'd like to have a few SACD's in my collection but the availability is pretty limited and, I'll be honest, I want that **** right now. I don't mind buying tracks either; not looking to copy music...

Edit: I mean music; preferable 2-channel...
post #2984 of 3114 Old 06-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Try skimming through the 2 channel audio thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/173/2-channel-audio

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #2985 of 3114 Old 06-02-2014, 01:04 PM

Hi, folks.

Sick of my Roku 2XS and its random reboots, I just ordered a BDP-S5100. Naturally I waited until the price is almost twice what it was last November. rolleyes.gif

Anyway, in the absence of a Plex app, can anyone tell me how/if I can stream a video from my PC to the S5100? Serviio?
post #2986 of 3114 Old 06-02-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweller View Post

Anyway, in the absence of a Plex app, can anyone tell me how/if I can stream a video from my PC to the S5100? Serviio?

Serviio is definitely the way to go.
post #2987 of 3114 Old 06-02-2014, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

I had an exactly opposite problem. I wanted 4:3 content to display correctly, not stretched out to 16:9. It has been a while but, IIRC, the setting that controls what you want done is under Video Setting --> Screen Format. Changing that to "Original" stretched out 4:3 to 16:9 or was it other way around? Anyway, play around with it and we can thank Sony for very intuitive labeling. rolleyes.gif

This setting only is applicable for disc based media and not local streaming. You'll have to use your display device to stretch.
post #2988 of 3114 Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 AM

I've got the Sony BDP-S4100, can anyone suggest some changes I can make to the Audio Settings? I want to get the best possible sound to my Yamaha RX-V675. I'm using HDMI from the BDP-S4100 to my Yamaha.

There are settings like BD Audio Mix, Downmix, Audio DRC ect..

Thanks!

post #2989 of 3114 Old 06-03-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:

I've got the Sony BDP-S4100, can anyone suggest some changes I can make to the Audio Settings? I want to get the best possible sound to my Yamaha RX-V675. I'm using HDMI from the BDP-S4100 to my Yamaha.

There are settings like BD Audio Mix, Downmix, Audio DRC ect..

Thanks!
This kind of question comes up in a lot of different threads, in a lot of different forums. The answers are, IMHO, always subjective. What don't you like about the way it sounds now?

Back when I still had all my hearing (Yes, I'm old.) I considered myself a purist member of the "Golden Eared" crowd. I was bent on hearing what the recording artist intended me to hear. The first thing I discovered is there's a recording engineer standing between me and audio bliss. The second thing I learned is I'd have to *physically* duplicate the environment used to record the original source. Since that never happened for me, and never will, I've moved on to more practical thoughts...

Since the audio source is pure digital (BDP-S4100 -> RX-V675 via HDMI), you can assume it was recorded at the highest possible quality by one of the most competent engineers. So basically what gets read off the disc is what gets fed to the receiver. If you haven't made any adjustments to the receiver, it's probably doing a good (neutral) job of reproducing the sound without any undue coloration. The next factor is your speakers. Time was you were supposed to audition your driver candidates before committing to purchase because everyone's acoustic environments are different. Which takes me back to my point about physically duplicating the environment in which the recording took place.

If you're still reading, how does it sound to you? I have a Yamaha system, too (HTR-4064). They give you a lot of flexibility to tweak to your own individual taste. Everyone is different. Everyone's environments are different. Everyone has different tastes and budgets. It's your equipment. Tweak and enjoy.

P.S. The only thing your receiver lacks that you might find useful is YPAO. It's an automatic set up feature that uses a microphone to automatically adjust your system to your acoustics. It's nice to have, but it's not worth replacing a perfectly good receiver for since you won't use it very often. A better investment is a sound level meter. IMHO.
post #2990 of 3114 Old 06-03-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Since the player can't full decode any dolby audio formats, the biggest difference is to enable audio bit streaming in order to get the full surround sound experience. There are many posts here already about how to enable bit stream (there are two settings need to change). Do a search.
post #2991 of 3114 Old 06-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweller View Post

This kind of question comes up in a lot of different threads, in a lot of different forums. The answers are, IMHO, always subjective. What don't you like about the way it sounds now?

Back when I still had all my hearing (Yes, I'm old.) I considered myself a purist member of the "Golden Eared" crowd. I was bent on hearing what the recording artist intended me to hear. The first thing I discovered is there's a recording engineer standing between me and audio bliss. The second thing I learned is I'd have to *physically* duplicate the environment used to record the original source. Since that never happened for me, and never will, I've moved on to more practical thoughts...

Since the audio source is pure digital (BDP-S4100 -> RX-V675 via HDMI), you can assume it was recorded at the highest possible quality by one of the most competent engineers. So basically what gets read off the disc is what gets fed to the receiver. If you haven't made any adjustments to the receiver, it's probably doing a good (neutral) job of reproducing the sound without any undue coloration. The next factor is your speakers. Time was you were supposed to audition your driver candidates before committing to purchase because everyone's acoustic environments are different. Which takes me back to my point about physically duplicating the environment in which the recording took place.

If you're still reading, how does it sound to you? I have a Yamaha system, too (HTR-4064). They give you a lot of flexibility to tweak to your own individual taste. Everyone is different. Everyone's environments are different. Everyone has different tastes and budgets. It's your equipment. Tweak and enjoy.

P.S. The only thing your receiver lacks that you might find useful is YPAO. It's an automatic set up feature that uses a microphone to automatically adjust your system to your acoustics. It's nice to have, but it's not worth replacing a perfectly good receiver for since you won't use it very often. A better investment is a sound level meter. IMHO.

The Yamaha RX-V675 does have YPAO, I haven't run it yet but I will do soon.

post #2992 of 3114 Old 06-03-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:

The Yamaha RX-V675 does have YPAO, I haven't run it yet but I will do soon.
Awesome. I missed that in a cursory glance at the specs. You'll like it.
post #2993 of 3114 Old 06-03-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Since the player can't full decode any dolby audio formats, the biggest difference is to enable audio bit streaming in order to get the full surround sound experience. There are many posts here already about how to enable bit stream (there are two settings need to change). Do a search.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

There is no such setting called bit stream. But in order to bit stream audio, you need to set audio to auto and turn off secondary audio mix.

In the back of my (feeble) mind, I knew that. Thanks for the reminder.
post #2994 of 3114 Old 06-04-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already in this thread, but the search terms I was using didn't turn up anything relevant.

I have a 3100 connected via optical digital to a 2002 model Panasonic AVR. For the past few months, whenever I stream Netflix, films that have 5.1 audio give an occasional audio pop or chirp, mainly in the rear surrounds. It seems to happen about a dozen times during a two-hour movie, so since it's a bedroom set up I don't use often, I just dealt with it.

But the other night while I was trying to watch Don Jon, the near constant audio distortion (to all speakers) made it unwatchable, so I switched to running the audio through my 2008 model Samsung LCD TV (3100>HDMI>TV>optical>AVR). The distortion stopped, but at the expense of receiving 5.1 audio. I then tested some purchased 5.1 content I have on Amazon VoD, running audio directly from the blu-ray player to the AVR again, and got no audio pop/distortion. Same thing when I watched the Iron Man blu-ray disc.

Has anyone else encountered this or know if there are any settings I can tweak to fix this? Netflix was the primary reason I bought this player last year for the bedroom, so it would be nice if I could start watching it again in 5.1.

i have a 5100 and when streaming netflix it chirps and/or pops too.  scares the s**t out of me.  i have an older receiver so i have an optical from the BR to the AVR but HDMI from BR to TV (55st60)

Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science
post #2995 of 3114 Old 06-04-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemsc View Post

i have a 5100 and when streaming netflix it chirps and/or pops too.  scares the s**t out of me.  i have an older receiver so i have an optical from the BR to the AVR but HDMI from BR to TV (55st60)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492916/dolby-digital-plus-and-netflix-on-various-avrs
post #2996 of 3114 Old 06-05-2014, 08:10 AM

Got my new 5100 yesterday. It took all of 20 minutes to hook it up, update the firmware, add the TED Talks app, IOW - test it 100%. Works for me!

Not for her.

The NETFLIX button is cool. A FAVORITES button would have been perfect. Does she really have to keep going into the Opera TV Store to watch TED Talks? There's no shortcut?

EDIT: I went into chat with Sony. Short answer is no. There's no shortcut method to added apps.

Is there a way to remove items and/or sort the VIDEOS list?

I asked this, too. They sent me a link to the User's Guide. confused.gif
post #2997 of 3114 Old 06-05-2014, 10:48 AM

Liked: 14
I have an old BDP 570 that is terrible for Netflix streaming. I suspect its because it proxys the video via Sony instead of connecting directly. I have a 30mb/s internet connection and everything else internet wise is fast, including DirecTV VOD and Roku Netflix. It also doesn't support 3D or DD from Netflix so I'm thinking of upgrading.

Can anyone comment on how good the latest Sonys are for streaming? Do they still connect via Sony?
post #2998 of 3114 Old 06-05-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 256
570 Netflix player is so rudimental and crappy, anything today can easily beat it.
post #2999 of 3114 Old 06-08-2014, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
You guys better stop talking smack about my beloved 570. mad.gif At one point, it was the fastest, best bang for buck BD player of all. I think it's still better than most current BD players in build and speed.

As for Netflix, I use Roku. tongue.gif
post #3000 of 3114 Old 06-09-2014, 03:29 AM

For connecting my Sony BDP-S4100 to my Yamaha RX-V675, I setup on the weekend, I made these changes.

BD Audio MIX Setting to OFF

DTS Neo:6 to OFF

Audio DRC to OFF

Downmix to Surround

That should output the best sound I can get to my Yamaha, right?

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bx510 , dolby , m2ts , Sony , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , truehd
Gear in this thread - bx510 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page