Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 101 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3001 of 3083 Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNZi View Post

For connecting my Sony BDP-S4100 to my Yamaha RX-V675, I setup on the weekend, I made these changes.

BD Audio MIX Setting to OFF
DTS Neo:6 to OFF
Audio DRC to OFF
Downmix to Surround

That should output the best sound I can get to my Yamaha, right?

I have the same settings, with the only exception being Downmix which I left at default. You're good to go.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3083 Old 06-09-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

I have the same settings, with the only exception being Downmix which I left at default. You're good to go.

Interesting, you left Downmix on Stereo?

Anyone confirm if it makes any difference Stereo or Surround? Maybe the AV Receiver decodes whatever is chosen?

post #3003 of 3083 Old 06-09-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

Anyone confirm if it makes any difference Stereo or Surround? Maybe the AV Receiver decodes whatever is chosen?

Correct. I want my AVR to do any and all processing.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #3004 of 3083 Old 06-09-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

As for Netflix, I use Roku. tongue.gif
Aaack! That's why I'm here shopping for a BDP. wink.gif
post #3005 of 3083 Old 06-09-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:

I agree with D Bone. Let the RX do all the audio work. That's what it does.
post #3006 of 3083 Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:

You are bitstreaming anyway. When would it ever downmix? I've never seen it on mine. Only if the player did the decoding.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3007 of 3083 Old 06-10-2014, 09:55 AM

All my movies and content I watch is in MKV format with DTS sound. So when going through the settings and manual it seemed the right thing to set it to Surround. Why make it Stereo then afterwards Surround.

Anyway as per instructions I'll set it to Stereo and let my Yamaha do the decoding, hopefully it sounds as good if not better with this change.
post #3008 of 3083 Old 06-10-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey all, I have made some changes to my home theater set up. I no longer use the BDP-S590 player I have. For set top boxes I strictly use the Roku3, or the BDP-S3100, all my media has been placed on a Media Server running Linux Mint with Serviio, XBMC, Plex and going to be playing with MythTV to see if it will be a suitable source for some ideas i have for media. My real question though, is the 590 worth keeping around at this point? It's still working, but it's old and doesn't have some of the current interfaces i can get via roku3 or one of the computers, even the 3100 at this point seems to be a more solid player. As far as the mythTV questions since they're basic questions anyone who can answer them can feel free to send them to me in a private message as not to tie up with too much off topic chat here, but 1, is it possible to get a usb or firewire device to get over the air digital channels, I don't have cable tv, and is it possible to use mythtv to pull content from a mini DV camcorder via firewire, the server has both firewire 400, and usb connections as options for input for devices. If someone has a resource they can popint me to, or an answer It would be appreciated, thanks!
post #3009 of 3083 Old 06-10-2014, 05:57 PM

Liked: 18
Can you not hook up a rudimentary antenna and use your TV tuner to get over-the-air reception. That's generally the easiest thing to do.

I remember going into a Best Buy a couple of years ago looking for a cheap replacement TV. The "salesperson" insisted that the TV would only get HD pictures from a Blu-ray player or cable or satellite, and had the idea that over-the-air reception of HD signals was somehow illegally stealing!

Harry
post #3010 of 3083 Old 06-10-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I think Macin probably wants to use Myth's recording capabilities rather than just watch live TV, in which case an HD Homerun fits the bill. There are more ways than I care to list to pull in content from a camera.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3011 of 3083 Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Ok, is anyone else finding the new forum layout confusing? I no longer get the number of unread messages any longer when logging in on the top of the page. Also AVS used to detect i was signed into facebook and automatically signed me in using that login, it that doesn't seem to work and I have to use my forum password and username. Anyone else having the same or simular issues ? Is this normal and part of the new setup ?
post #3012 of 3083 Old 06-12-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Forum was switched back to Vb, please see here:

What Was Old is New Again at AVS Forum

There will be many changes seen since the "previous" interface was Huddler proprietary.....
post #3013 of 3083 Old 06-15-2014, 03:35 PM

What is the best alternative to Serviio for my Sony BDP-S5100?

I need to be able to stream video files in various formats (avi, mp4, mkv, flv, mov, wmv, vob, mt2s, etc.) from my PC to the S5100. I have used Serviio and it did everything I wanted it to, except I got constant Blue Screens (BSOD) whenever the Serviio service was running, whether I was playing anything back or not. Only after removing Serviio have all the BSODs stopped and my PC is back to normal (i7 quad-core, Win 7 64). So I am looking for an alternative DLNA server that works well with this Sony player. Any ideas?
post #3014 of 3083 Old 06-15-2014, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Forum was switched back to Vb, please see here:

What Was Old is New Again at AVS Forum

There will be many changes seen since the "previous" interface was Huddler proprietary.....
I'm seeing changes from day-to-day as comments are being interpreted by the forum staff. There is a dedicated thread for the forum so these discussions should go there rather than in the individual product threads.
post #3015 of 3083 Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaJune View Post
What is the best alternative to Serviio for my Sony BDP-S5100?

I need to be able to stream video files in various formats (avi, mp4, mkv, flv, mov, wmv, vob, mt2s, etc.) from my PC to the S5100. I have used Serviio and it did everything I wanted it to, except I got constant Blue Screens (BSOD) whenever the Serviio service was running, whether I was playing anything back or not. Only after removing Serviio have all the BSODs stopped and my PC is back to normal (i7 quad-core, Win 7 64). So I am looking for an alternative DLNA server that works well with this Sony player. Any ideas?
I've tried various DLNA servers, including Flex, and none have worked as well as Serviio. I'm running a BDP-S3100 player (similar to the 5100 only not 3D) with a quad core Win7 64 SSD laptop with my media on a dedicated 3TB external drive (formally on the D drive of the laptop until it got too full). I've had no issues at all with either setup. You might try making sure you have the latest version of Serviio also (I'm on 1.4.1.2). Delete the old program totally, including the libraries, and reinstall it while maybe changing what directory it, and your media, is in if you changed it from the default settings.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

Last edited by K5ING; 06-19-2014 at 12:06 AM.
post #3016 of 3083 Old 06-18-2014, 11:35 AM

I've tried every trick in the book to get Serviio running on my PC without BSODs. I've been at this unsuccessfully for two weeks. And Yes, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest versions of everything, including A/V codecs, graphics drivers, and the Java platform it runs on top of. I'll spare the details since this is not the Serviio forum. I was hoping that Sony Blu-Ray players would work well with other DLNA streamers and not just one specific program (that isn't even made by Sony... go figure!)
post #3017 of 3083 Old 06-18-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaJune View Post
I've tried every trick in the book to get Serviio running on my PC without BSODs. I've been at this unsuccessfully for two weeks. And Yes, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest versions of everything, including A/V codecs, graphics drivers, and the Java platform it runs on top of. I'll spare the details since this is not the Serviio forum. I was hoping that Sony Blu-Ray players would work well with other DLNA streamers and not just one specific program (that isn't even made by Sony... go figure!)
Plex is pretty universal. You'll get a lot more transcoding, but it beats constant BSODs. PS3 Media server also works ok. When you set them up, pick the most generic profile for best results.

One thing you can do to greatly improve performance on Serviio is turn off thumbnails. That's very CPU and time intensive and could be the source of your problem.

post #3018 of 3083 Old 06-20-2014, 01:26 PM

Mkv dts hd

Question for you guys. I have a BDP-S5100 connected to a RX-V675 via hdmi that's going to a Sony KDL-70R550A. When I try to play MKV files from either a USB or Hard drive that has a DTS-HD audio the blu-ray player locks up after couple seconds of playing and only way to turn it off is buy removing plug from wall.
Is there another blu ray player that is capable of playing MKV DTS HD via USB/Hard drive or do I have to look at getting a media player/HTPC?

Thanks
post #3019 of 3083 Old 06-20-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 393
I don't think any BR player will play MKV DTS-HD files. The Oppo may, as it plays ISO files, but not 100% sure. Usually it's best to play those types of files via a dedicated media player. Usually BR players and TVs only handle the basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3020 of 3083 Old 06-26-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheemaj View Post
Question for you guys. I have a BDP-S5100 connected to a RX-V675 via hdmi that's going to a Sony KDL-70R550A. When I try to play MKV files from either a USB or Hard drive that has a DTS-HD audio the blu-ray player locks up after couple seconds of playing and only way to turn it off is buy removing plug from wall.
Is there another blu ray player that is capable of playing MKV DTS HD via USB/Hard drive or do I have to look at getting a media player/HTPC?

Thanks
TSMuxer the MKV to a M2TS. Should resolve the issue
post #3021 of 3083 Old 06-26-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheemaj View Post

Thanks
Same thing with my S580. If you want to watch the movie, passthrough M2ts keeping all HD audio and HD video.

post #3022 of 3083 Old 06-26-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
TSMuxer the MKV to a M2TS. Should resolve the issue

+1, The 2014 players are better in this regard, The only problem I have is when you forward and then press play it will sometimes stop playing, seems to be a tad better if you forward at 1x but it can still stop, chapters are supported so that does help, other than that I have no issue's.

Cheaper option would be to just use TSMuxer as APW suggested.
post #3023 of 3083 Old 06-27-2014, 05:22 AM

With this series of players, has anyone noticed a fairly loud "queueing" sound whenever the player is moments from reaching the next chapter on a disc? I've noticed this regularly, at least with DVDs; not so sure it's always present with BDs. Any way to defeat this through particular set-up options? Thanks.
post #3024 of 3083 Old 06-27-2014, 10:21 AM

Liked: 0
Hello all

I've done some googling and looked through the forum to try to find an answer to this question but with no results....not sure if it's a common occurrence or not?

Basically, I have a Sony BDP-3100 player (which I made MR using a logitech remote) bought in the UK where I am currently. I am moving to Canada in the coming months and have started to think about what I will and won't be taking with me. Suppose there are two questions;

1) Would the 3100 work over in Canada (obviously with a plug adaptor )? Is there a more 'permanent' way to change the power cord on the unit to a canadian outlet?

2) Would I have to do something with the software for it to be able to use canadian netflix services?

Sorry if those are both dumb questions but just got me thinking. I know it isn't the most expensive of units to buy again over there but any money I can save I want to try to.
post #3025 of 3083 Old 06-27-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I just wonder about video format differences, disc zone differences, etc.. Unless the player is a US/Canada player, but used in UK.

For the power, you can check the voltage info on the player and see if it's multi-voltage or not. You may need nothing more than a plug adapter if it can handle 100-220.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook:
post #3026 of 3083 Old 06-28-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The instruction manual for the UK version, BDPS3100B.CEK, says it is 220-240VAC 50/60Hz only. Canada uses the same power system as the US, 110VAC 60Hz. Therefor you will need a transformer to step the voltage up from 110 to 220. Amazon UK has them for £6 and up ... just search for a "stepup voltage converter". The S3100 is only 10W so the basic 45W converter should do.

Allen
post #3027 of 3083 Old 06-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Subpar audio experience using VUDU HDX: Is this normal compared to Blu Ray disks?

So I'm trying to figure out if my experience with VUDU HDX was atypical or the norm when all of my movie watching thus far has been Blu Ray. I am using the Sony S5100.

We had some friends over last night and wanted to watch Lone Survivor. I typically run up to Redbox and rent a Blu Ray, but Redbox has yet to release this movie. I decided to try out Vudu for the first time since I could rent the movie on there from my Blu Ray player. My internet speed is around 35 mpbs so I was able to stream in the highest quality (HDX, or 1080p). The picture quality seemed pretty on par with a Blu Ray, but what frustrated my was the sound...

I noticed immediately that the dialogue needed to be turned up substantially in order for it to be audible. I usually have my Denon 2112 set to around 58 for volume, but I found myself turning it up to 68-69 in order for the sound to fill the room. It just didn't seem to pack that punch that blu rays have delivered. Surround effects were great, however. Dialogue improved with increasing the volume, but my biggest gripe was low frequency bass...

Now, I don't know if it's the movie itself because I have yet to watch it on Blu Ray, but low frequency just wasn't really there. A few rumbles here and there, but explosions and such didn't seem to make much of an impact. I'm guessing there is some compression going on with the movie due to streaming, and I'm sure it's not lossless sound, but I just want to hear people's thoughts on the matter.

My receiver typically auto detects the Blu Ray and goes to "Multi-Channel In" which from what I've read is detecting PCM and is lossless. The receiver didn't change to anything when streaming from my Blu Ray player and my options were that of "PL II Cinema, Stereo, Multi Channel Stereo, Pro Logic, etc etc...".

So, was my experience normal in that streaming from VUDU, even if streaming the highest quality, delivered a subpar experience than from a Blu Ray? I'm just trying to figure this whole thing out. If anyone can weigh in on information, experience, thoughts, whatever, It'd be appreciated! Thanks!
post #3028 of 3083 Old 06-30-2014, 09:18 AM

Hiding the Wifi password?

Does anyone know how to hide the wifi password? I'm trying to restrict my "problem child's" internet use and I discovered that she got the password for our router by using my BDP-S1100 wifi setup screen. All you have to do is hit enter, and the password is revealed. I tried setting the different parental controls, but I can't lock out the wifi access part. Any help would be appreciated.
post #3029 of 3083 Old 06-30-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The 1100 doesn't have wifi at all, so password couldn't have come from there. If you really have a 3100 or above with wifi, then there is no way to hide that screen. Have you see it yourself? I don't recall the password showing.

post #3030 of 3083 Old 07-01-2014, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
The 1100 doesn't have wifi at all, so password couldn't have come from there. If you really have a 3100 or above with wifi, then there is no way to hide that screen. Have you see it yourself? I don't recall the password showing.
I guess I have a model higher than the 1100 because I do have wifi. But for the password screen, yes, I do see "*******", when I first enter the page, but if I hit enter (the center button), it takes me to the keyboard screen and the password is showing. I guess I'm out of luck.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page