Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 3060 Old 07-01-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Kerbie View Post
I guess I have a model higher than the 1100 because I do have wifi. But for the password screen, yes, I do see "*******", when I first enter the page, but if I hit enter (the center button), it takes me to the keyboard screen and the password is showing. I guess I'm out of luck.
One thing you could do is run an ethernet cable to the player and not use wifi. Then the password wouldn't be used and you could leave it blank or enter a bogus one.

On some routers you can block certain devices by MAC address or set time limits. I've done that before with pretty good success. But my kids also managed to get the neighbors wifi password. I had to take away all electronics at that point. Ultimately, consistent time limits plus having the one PC they can access in a high traffic area worked best for us. That way, the rules are enforced by the computer and they have to abide.

Last edited by mdavej; 07-01-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3060 Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
One thing you could do is run an ethernet cable to the player and not use wifi. Then the password wouldn't be used and you could leave it blank or enter a bogus one.

On some routers you can block certain devices by MAC address or set time limits. I've done that before with pretty good success. But my kids also managed to get the neighbors wifi password. I had to take away all electronics at that point. Ultimately, consistent time limits plus having the one PC they can access in a high traffic area worked best for us. That way, the rules are enforced by the computer and they have to abide.
Thanks mdavej,
I like the ethernet cable idea. That way my other kids can keep their Netfix stuff and keep enjoying the HT.

We thought we had all the electronics controlled, but if her boyfriend gives her his old ipod, and she knows how to get the password, what can you do besides cancel everything?
Tough times ahead, but we'll get through it. Thanks again.
post #3033 of 3060 Old 07-01-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Kerbie View Post
Thanks mdavej,
I like the ethernet cable idea. That way my other kids can keep their Netfix stuff and keep enjoying the HT.

We thought we had all the electronics controlled, but if her boyfriend gives her his old ipod, and she knows how to get the password, what can you do besides cancel everything?
Tough times ahead, but we'll get through it. Thanks again.
I hear you. Just get in the habit of checking the router. If you see a new device you don't recognize, just block it. If your router can't do that, it's worth $40-$50 to get one that can.

This is a really tough issue. You want to be able to trust your kids and give them some independence, while at the same time protecting them from the all the crap on the internet, inappropriate communication with others, and keeping them from spending their entire lives in front of a screen. And just when you get it under control in your house, they go to a friend's house and the door is wide open again.
mhobart likes this.
post #3034 of 3060 Old 07-07-2014, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

Any one managed to use XBMC to play-to (context menu-play using) the Sony BDP-S5100?
If you have, appreciate if to share the setting/configuration.

Thanks!
post #3035 of 3060 Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
BD live issue

Hi,

I'm trying to use the BD-live feature, and I'm getting a message that my bluray (S5100) does not have enough memory...I have a 64GB stick connected (almost 40gb free, and the player can read files from it). I have no problems accessing any other web features...

Any ideas why it happens?
post #3036 of 3060 Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Is there a size limit for the BD live USB flash drive? I only use an 8GB and 4GB with mine. But my flash drives are dedicated to BD-Live and use the back USB port.

EDIT: I just looked at the manual. It says that you need to use the back USB port for BD-Live storage.

Quote:
Enjoying BONUSVIEW/
BD-LIVE

Some BD-ROMs with the “BD-LIVE”
logo* have bonus contents and other
data that can be downloaded for your
enjoyment.
1 Connect a USB memory to the
USB jack on the rear of the player
(page 11).
Use a 1 GB or larger USB memory
as your local storage...............

https://docs.sony.com/release/BDP-BX510_S5100.pdf

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-07-2014 at 09:39 AM.
post #3037 of 3060 Old 07-19-2014, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to know if it is possible to have displayed album art off from ID3 Tags or any kind of music file like MP3, AAC or FLAC, embedded or image file in the root album directoy? Is it possible? I'd be surprised if Sony did something better concerning this kind of album art support, apart from LG being totally useless in that Department.
post #3038 of 3060 Old 07-29-2014, 08:50 AM

I finally connected my BDP-S4100 to my main system and get perfect 5.1 sound from MKV files. However, from Netflix I only get stereo, even when I select the 5.1 track. What am I doing wrong?
post #3039 of 3060 Old 08-03-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted, my setup and usage of media has changed in the last several months.

I find that i stream more using a computer / roku, and i have only the 3100 left as a dedicated blu-ray player. I was curious since i have dedicated the streaming to the roku 3, as long as the 3100 continues to work and play discs, is there a reason at this point to update? I'm in a place where i need to save money, so if i can get by on what I have for another year or two would be great!

To be honest, i haven't been following this side of technology for a while, just because what I have works, and really haven't had a reason to concern myself with updates right now. I just happened to be thinking about it this morning as i used the player a bit, and checked here, and thought i'd ask
post #3040 of 3060 Old 08-03-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Macinman, when you put a disc in and it won't play, then it's time to update.
post #3041 of 3060 Old 08-03-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave, I had the same Idea It seems like the blu-ray spec is set so it doesn't look like i'll have any unexpected changes as far as that goes. So sounds like i can use what I have until it dies basically. Good to know, and thanks.
post #3042 of 3060 Old 08-03-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Thanks Dave, I had the same Idea It seems like the blu-ray spec is set so it doesn't look like i'll have any unexpected changes as far as that goes. So sounds like i can use what I have until it dies basically. Good to know, and thanks.

It has nothing to do with the blu-Ray spec btw. It's the "security" and or Java implementation used by the studios that would cause a disc not to play. You can still run into discs that may not play in the future. If that happens check here to see if an update has been issued to fix it.
post #3043 of 3060 Old 08-03-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It has nothing to do with the blu-Ray spec btw. It's the "security" and or Java implementation used by the studios that would cause a disc not to play. You can still run into discs that may not play in the future. If that happens check here to see if an update has been issued to fix it.
That's a good point, I do always check when turning on the player for auto updates. So far, i'm good and am up to date. I know this is a bit off topic, but i do have an alternative if need be, I have a blu-ray drive for the mac, and software that will play just the m2ts files so it bypasses java, so if worse comes to worse I should be able to still view the movie Anyway, i don't buy discs like i used to unless I want to keep the movie. So we'll see!

So far so good. I did have one minor issue though I had put a DVD in and then ejected it. The player still thought the disc was in the drive even though it wasn't. I had to unplug the player to reset the memory, and it seems fine now. What was funny is, discs still played, even though the player still had a generic dvd icon present until i unplugged it. I'll also have the occasional problem where turning on the player with a disc in it, makes it eject for some strange reason. Other then the two minor issues mentioned above, the player still seems to be rock solid.
mhobart likes this.
post #3044 of 3060 Old 08-03-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yronnen View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to use the BD-live feature, and I'm getting a message that my bluray (S5100) does not have enough memory...I have a 64GB stick connected (almost 40gb free, and the player can read files from it). I have no problems accessing any other web features...

Any ideas why it happens?
I'll speak for LG. It reads from NTFS filesystem, but for that kind of thing, the filesystem needs to be FAT32.
Since I last remember, it was the same with some Sony models.
post #3045 of 3060 Old 08-06-2014, 08:53 PM

Sony BX510 - keeps forgetting Netflix login

Every few months my Blu Ray player forget the Netflix login. Just happened today. I left it while browsing episodes of a show and by the time I came back it had switched itself off. Switched it back on and now I need to enter email and password again.

Any ideas on why this happens and how to prevent it?
post #3046 of 3060 Old 08-10-2014, 11:49 PM

Liked: 0
Hi all, sorry if this might have been discussed in this lengthy thread, but I have this bluray player, and have had no issues till last week. What is happening is that blurays are playing as normal, but dvds won't play now (when they did earlier). If I insert a dvd now (tried numerous), the player display just registers 'empty', before it goes back to 'home'.

I get the UI strip, but I don't see any way to play the dvd in the player. If I insert a bluray, it brings up the disc menu as normal.

Has anyone experienced this? Not sure what is going on, since literally last week this player was playing dvds w/o an issue. It began doing this before I did any updates whatsoever, but I did do the latest update just to see if that was a problem. Same thing. Just seems to not be recognizing a dvd.

Thanks for any help.
post #3047 of 3060 Old 08-11-2014, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I encountered intermittent hang when playing media off DLNA server. Hang to the point the BDP is non responsive and needs a power cycle reset. S5100. Anyone encountered this issue before?

I have just factory reset the unit and reconfigured from scratch. Hope the fault goes away.
post #3048 of 3060 Old 08-11-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

hey all,

wanted to find out if anyone here had a device with the latest netflix interface whether it be a newer sony player or roku etc, I'm having issues with netflix updating my recent watch list, the only way i can get it to work is going into the netflix settings and choosing exit netflix, the direct exit doesn't work, or unplugging the roku and putting it back in.

The interface on the sony 3100 and below and the web or iOS don't seem to have this issue and was wondering if someone could shed some light on this. This has only seemed to happen recently.
post #3049 of 3060 Old 08-11-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
That's good advice, but also watch for firmware updates. I don't know one way or the other how often Sony updates it's firmware, which with most manufacturers is often in response to media providers fiddling with their encoding and producing disks which the player cannot properly decode. So I would only modify mdavej's advice would be to add (and the manufacturer has stopped issuing new firmware updates).
post #3050 of 3060 Old 08-12-2014, 08:01 AM

Question

Hi,

I tried to find a solution but I couldn't find one in this Thread or anywhere else...and to be honest I didn't read 102 pages

Is there any way to get DTS (core) Sound with a MKV Video (from a USB Drive)? On the information screen it shows me DTS but my AV Receiver doesn't get the DTS signal. MKV and Dolby Digital 5.1 just works fine.
I also tried to remux the MKV with tsMuxer to a m2ts but still no DTS, just Stereo Sound.
post #3051 of 3060 Old 08-19-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

today when i check the player there was a new firmware update. Model: BDP-S3100, i'm sure the whole line was updated, it usually is. Since no one else mentioned the update I thought i would have a great day!
post #3052 of 3060 Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
today when i check the player there was a new firmware update. Model: BDP-S3100, i'm sure the whole line was updated, it usually is. Since no one else mentioned the update I thought i would have a great day!
Thanks! I just updated mine. I wonder if there is any way to find out what was updated?

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

post #3053 of 3060 Old 08-19-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I just LOVE firmware updates

/sarcasm
post #3054 of 3060 Old 08-20-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I just LOVE firmware updates

/sarcasm
So do I it's been a while
mhobart likes this.
post #3055 of 3060 Old 08-20-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armoky View Post
Hi,

I tried to find a solution but I couldn't find one in this Thread or anywhere else...and to be honest I didn't read 102 pages

Is there any way to get DTS (core) Sound with a MKV Video (from a USB Drive)? On the information screen it shows me DTS but my AV Receiver doesn't get the DTS signal. MKV and Dolby Digital 5.1 just works fine.
I also tried to remux the MKV with tsMuxer to a m2ts but still no DTS, just Stereo Sound.
I have this problem and never found a solution. You can see the details of my issue here...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...=#post24433276
post #3056 of 3060 Old 08-20-2014, 09:14 PM

I've had the S5100 for a few months now and had no issues, until a couple days ago. When I turn on the player I hear it starting up and the TV displays "1080p 60hz" like it detects a video signal...then nothing. The player reads "Home" on the built-in screen but I see nothing. I tried unplugging it, switching sources on the TV, and restarting the TV. Anyone else seen this?
post #3057 of 3060 Old 08-21-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware Upgrade Release Date 8/21/2014 Version M15.R.0179 File Size 101.10 MB
This utility updates the Blu-ray Disc™ player firmware to version M15.R.0179 and provides the following benefits:
Improvements over firmware version M15.R.0175:
Improves BRAVIA® Internet Video connectivity
Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M15.R.0179:
Improves Opera™ browser app connectivity for the Sony Entertainment Network service
Improves BD-ROM playability
Improves YouTube® Leanback playability for the BRAVIA® Internet Video service
Resolves an issue where some network contents are not able to playback after updating to version M14.R.0136 released on June 04, 2013
post #3058 of 3060 Old 08-22-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I updated mine last night. Must have been a smaller one, as it didn't take real long to download.
post #3059 of 3060 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Badger View Post
I have this problem and never found a solution. You can see the details of my issue here...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...=#post24433276
Thx for the Info. That really sucks
post #3060 of 3060 Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armoky View Post
Thx for the Info. That really sucks
On the other hand, these players can output/bitstream DTS-HD MA audio with mkv files just fine through HDMI (with the exception of lock ups) to a capable receiver. If you don't have a modern receiver that can handle all HD audios, I don't think this (and newer 2014 players) is a good choice for you.

Sony probably didn't bother to implement a DTS core extraction logic here but Sony also didn't bother to fix the DTS-HD MA track lock up issues either for couple generations of the player (from 2012 to 2013. 2014 is slightly better that doesn't lockup but still not perfect).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page