Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 3037 Old 07-01-2014, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
The 1100 doesn't have wifi at all, so password couldn't have come from there. If you really have a 3100 or above with wifi, then there is no way to hide that screen. Have you see it yourself? I don't recall the password showing.
I guess I have a model higher than the 1100 because I do have wifi. But for the password screen, yes, I do see "*******", when I first enter the page, but if I hit enter (the center button), it takes me to the keyboard screen and the password is showing. I guess I'm out of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3037 Old 07-01-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Kerbie View Post
I guess I have a model higher than the 1100 because I do have wifi. But for the password screen, yes, I do see "*******", when I first enter the page, but if I hit enter (the center button), it takes me to the keyboard screen and the password is showing. I guess I'm out of luck.
One thing you could do is run an ethernet cable to the player and not use wifi. Then the password wouldn't be used and you could leave it blank or enter a bogus one.

On some routers you can block certain devices by MAC address or set time limits. I've done that before with pretty good success. But my kids also managed to get the neighbors wifi password. I had to take away all electronics at that point. Ultimately, consistent time limits plus having the one PC they can access in a high traffic area worked best for us. That way, the rules are enforced by the computer and they have to abide.

Last edited by mdavej; 07-01-2014 at 05:37 AM.
post #3033 of 3037 Old 07-01-2014, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
One thing you could do is run an ethernet cable to the player and not use wifi. Then the password wouldn't be used and you could leave it blank or enter a bogus one.

On some routers you can block certain devices by MAC address or set time limits. I've done that before with pretty good success. But my kids also managed to get the neighbors wifi password. I had to take away all electronics at that point. Ultimately, consistent time limits plus having the one PC they can access in a high traffic area worked best for us. That way, the rules are enforced by the computer and they have to abide.
Thanks mdavej,
I like the ethernet cable idea. That way my other kids can keep their Netfix stuff and keep enjoying the HT.

We thought we had all the electronics controlled, but if her boyfriend gives her his old ipod, and she knows how to get the password, what can you do besides cancel everything?
Tough times ahead, but we'll get through it. Thanks again.
post #3034 of 3037 Old 07-01-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Kerbie View Post
Thanks mdavej,
I like the ethernet cable idea. That way my other kids can keep their Netfix stuff and keep enjoying the HT.

We thought we had all the electronics controlled, but if her boyfriend gives her his old ipod, and she knows how to get the password, what can you do besides cancel everything?
Tough times ahead, but we'll get through it. Thanks again.
I hear you. Just get in the habit of checking the router. If you see a new device you don't recognize, just block it. If your router can't do that, it's worth $40-$50 to get one that can.

This is a really tough issue. You want to be able to trust your kids and give them some independence, while at the same time protecting them from the all the crap on the internet, inappropriate communication with others, and keeping them from spending their entire lives in front of a screen. And just when you get it under control in your house, they go to a friend's house and the door is wide open again.
post #3035 of 3037 Old 07-07-2014, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,

Any one managed to use XBMC to play-to (context menu-play using) the Sony BDP-S5100?
If you have, appreciate if to share the setting/configuration.

Thanks!
post #3036 of 3037 Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BD live issue

Hi,

I'm trying to use the BD-live feature, and I'm getting a message that my bluray (S5100) does not have enough memory...I have a 64GB stick connected (almost 40gb free, and the player can read files from it). I have no problems accessing any other web features...

Any ideas why it happens?
post #3037 of 3037 Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Is there a size limit for the BD live USB flash drive? I only use an 8GB and 4GB with mine. But my flash drives are dedicated to BD-Live and use the back USB port.

EDIT: I just looked at the manual. It says that you need to use the back USB port for BD-Live storage.

Quote:
Enjoying BONUSVIEW/
BD-LIVE

Some BD-ROMs with the “BD-LIVE”
logo* have bonus contents and other
data that can be downloaded for your
enjoyment.
1 Connect a USB memory to the
USB jack on the rear of the player
(page 11).
Use a 1 GB or larger USB memory
as your local storage...............

https://docs.sony.com/release/BDP-BX510_S5100.pdf

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-07-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page