Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 3070 Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the Sony BDP-S1100, and an analog TV with RF and composit inputs.
I mistakenly thought that the Coaxial Digital output on this unit was for connecting to a DTV, but should have known better since the connectors did not match.
Still, I purchased a Digital to Analog TV converter. When I connected it up, it obviously did not work.
Besides using the HDMI output and connecting to the appropriate TV, is there any method I could use to connect this player to the analog TV?

Also: Is the Digital Coaxial output on this player for audio only, or does it also carry video signals?

Thanks

CP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3070 Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I am pretty sure digital coax is only for audio. I've never used it personally, but that is my understanding.

When you say analog TV, you must be talking about a very old set? I've never used any of those converters, but they can get weird on a guy.
Ph8te likes this.
post #3063 of 3070 Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
You should dump that analog TV long time ago. New BD players are going the way of remove any analog A/V output. Sony is among the first to do so. Besides, what's the point to connect a HD BD player to an analog video to a TV that can only display SD resolution

The coax output is for outputting digital audio only. Digital to analog converter is probably for connecting OTA broadcasting signals you receive from the antenna. Converting HDMI to analog will probably cost you more than that TV is worth.
Ph8te likes this.
post #3064 of 3070 Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp2014 View Post
Also: Is the Digital Coaxial output on this player for audio only, or does it also carry video signals?
The only digital coax output I have seen on Blu-ray players are digital audio output, and apparently the model you have is no different. So, no, there aren't any video signals on that port.

Quote:
I have the Sony BDP-S1100, and an analog TV with RF and composite inputs.

Besides using the HDMI output and connecting to the appropriate TV, is there any method I could use to connect this player to the analog TV?
As Foxbat121 said, the easiest way would be to get a more recent TV that has a HDMI port (preferably at least 2 HDMI ports). A HDTV (or HD projector) is the only good way to enjoy a Blu-ray disc, and I found it to be the only good way to enjoy a movie shot with an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 or 2.35:1 in its original aspect ratio. The old 1.33:1 TVs made it hard to enjoy 1.78:1 or 2.35:1 movies framed the way the Producer had intended them to be viewed, ending up compromising by a shorter picture with letterbox bars or by throwing away the sides of the picture. It wasn't until I got my first HDTV and Blu-ray player to feed it that I became a fan of viewing movies at home in their original aspect ratio and when I rewatched several titles in their original aspect ratio instead of pan-and-scan (throwing away the sides), I realized I had missed part of the story the Director intended me to see.

A HDMI-to-composite converter costs a good chunk of cash, and most won't handle HDCP and would probably be useless for playing Blu-ray discs from most studios. I think you will find that most such converters get mixed reviews, so if you are going to try that route, be sure that you can return it if it doesn't perform as you expect.

Buying a DVD player with a composite video output would be the cleanest way to feed a standard-definition TV with a composite input and would avoid the search for and the price of a HDMI-to-composite converter that handles HDCP. But then of course the down side would be that it won't play Blu-ray discs, but just DVDs and selected CDs.

My bottom-line recommendation: Either (best viewing enjoyment) get a modern HDTV that takes HDMI from the Blu-ray player or (inexpensive) get a DVD player with a composite output that you can connect to the TV.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #3065 of 3070 Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100

Audio only. It is actually SPDIF format over electrical connection. The other option is via optical connection.

RX-A3030 | Usher MD2 + Klipsch RB51 | Sony BDP-S5100 | HTPC
Zone 2 | Heco Victa 702
Zone 3 | Audiolab 8000A | Rogers LS6a
post #3066 of 3070 Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Guys - Thanks for your replies;
After I posted here, I got an e-mail from my brother informing me that he had purchased a new TV for my dad.
Now all I need to do is buy the HDMI cables.

CP
post #3067 of 3070 Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
After I posted here, I got an e-mail from my brother informing me that he had purchased a new TV for my dad.

Great! Now just don't overspend for HDMI cables.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #3068 of 3070 Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

CP
One word. Monoprice
post #3069 of 3070 Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Newegg has some 10' and 15' ones on sale for $3-$3.50 shipped. There's a thread on slickdeals. I just bought several.
post #3070 of 3070 Old Today, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
If you buy your player from Costcoor Sam's Club, it comes with free HDMI cable inside.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page