Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 104 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 3107 Old 10-26-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 848
I had no problem last night with Amazon around that time. I watched the last three episodes of Season 2 of Alpha House on one of my S6200s.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3107 Old 11-02-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I had the S1100, and long suspected the player was adding a slight amount of artificial EE even when sending native 1080p/24fps in 'Normal' mode (i.e. no enhancements). Converting everything to 1080p/60fps was even more noticeable. I've just confirmed this by trying a Panasonic BD91, which does not add any EE and provides a smoother, more natural looking picture. This is the case whether sending 1080p/24fps natively or converting everything and sending as 1080p/60fps.

I had the same issue with the Sony S790 -- even running in so-called 'Direct' mode, though the EE was even worse than the S1100, especially when converting to 1080p/60fps. I don't know whether the new Sx200 series exhibits this or not, but it's something that -- IMO at least -- should not be there.

Many people seemed to insist that it wasn't there and that I was somehow imagining it, but I do feel I have confirmed it. For those on the fence, I would suggest avoiding the Sony players for this reason, and this is coming from someone who is biased toward Sony players, as I think their user interface, remote control, and various features and functionality are better than Panasonic's. Though I will say the build quality of the Panasonic seems quite a bit better, as it weighs nearly twice as much as the Sony.

Last edited by RWetmore; 11-02-2014 at 08:00 AM.
post #3093 of 3107 Old 11-03-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My apologies if someone already asked this, but there are over 3,000 posts!

I own the Sony BDP-S3100. I love it... But. For some reason if I hit pause on the movie and go away for a bit and the movie's screen saver comes up (ie Universal bouncing about as a normal DVD would do), it will not play! If you hit stop and try to go back to the movie- you can't either! Just that stupid logo bouncing about. It is driving me insane. What ends up happening is I have to go back to the Home screen, re-select the movie, have to skip through about 10 ads (seriously) and then try to remember where I left off. Am I so dumb I am missing how to get into the movie again? I mean I could be I guess.

It is also annoying that you can't re-order the list of apps on the home page. I only use a few things and would prefer them at the top.

It took me about 3 hours to get through a 2 hour movie the other day because I kept pausing and then trying to get back into the movie over and over and then having to go back home and re-select the movie. And yeah, I can't sit through a two hour movie. I have no attention span and things happen.

If this is the wrong place for these troubleshooting questions, let me know.
post #3094 of 3107 Old 11-03-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Don't hit stop. I would think 'select' or 'play' would kill the screen saver without losing your place in the movie. Not that I have that much experience with the screen saver...
post #3095 of 3107 Old 11-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 134
If it is a Paramount movie screen saver, hit one of the color buttons to kill the screen saver and resume playing the movie. (I had to email Paramount to learn this.)

If it is the Blu-ray player, I usually hit Play and it takes a couple of seconds to start playing. (Or I might be thinking of another player. If so, then it is Power On, then hit Play. But try "Play" first, even if the power light is out. But if the TV had powered off, power that back on first before trying to get the Blu-ray player to resume.)

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S3100), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (29Mbps/6Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #3096 of 3107 Old 11-20-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Exclamation Sony BDP-BX510 - Different Firmware with Different File Playback Results

This may sound long winded but I'm afraid it's something I've been seeking from a media player for quite some time - flawless playback of Blu-ray M2TS files directly from the BDMV folder whether they have DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD audio. Media players produce unreliable results as my AIOS Media Center and KDLINKS HD720 irritatingly lost the HD Audio if I either fast forwarded, rewound or paused the movie.

I thought I'd found the perfect media player when I picked up a refurbished Sony BDP-BX510 on Ebay as I remember specifically testing the Cinavia-infected movie Battlefield: Los Angeles which played directly from the BDMV folder for over an hour with not a single hiccup! This was even before I chose to connect it to the internet. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to take note of what firmware it originally shipped with that produced these magical, unicorn-like results, so please forgive me. However, I realized after I updated to firmware M15.R.0179, that same movie would only play for 20 min and then freeze!

Now, I realize that usually the short 20 min duration is said to be due to header compression in the original files and I can remedy this problem by creating an MKV from Handbrake as long as the original movie is DTS-HD MA, because Dolby TrueHD yields a "Audio format not supported" error message. But the interesting discovery I made is when I play that same M2TS file (Akira) directly from the BDMV folder, it will play that same Dolby TrueHD track PERFECTLY, but only for 20 min and then freeze. So this leads me to believe that it is possible to play all of these files with no problems; it's just not easy figuring out what firmware version allows it.

I am in the process of returning my Sony BDP-BX510 to the seller so they can send me a replacement with older factory firmware so I can test this further. Had I never got that M2TS file to play, I'd probably be looking for that perfect, unicorn media player, but this is the closest I have ever come to my ideal movie setup. As you can see, I don't feel a need to set anything up for networking or streaming, just playing local movie files from external HDDs.

If any of you have had experience with playing M2TS files format directly from a blu-ray ripped folder with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, please share your experiences... and firmware version!

Last edited by SuperFist; 11-20-2014 at 07:49 PM.
post #3097 of 3107 Old 11-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 31
/\ . . I do not believe you are experiencing something that is related to cinavia because cinavia does not freeze playback after 20 minutes - it throws a message at you and mutes the audio. I also do not believe a firmware update activated cinavia in the Sony BDP-BX510, as it appears to have cinavia corrupted firmware right out of the box.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #3098 of 3107 Old 11-21-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the response, Rich!

I apologize for the confusion but I didn't mean to infer that Cinavia was causing the issue. I know that's not the case because many other M2TS files I played that don't have Cinavia ingrained within them yielded the same results. I merely meant the movie Battlefield: Los Angeles is a Cinavia-infected title and it's the one I chose first to test before updating to see if in fact the player would block the audio. And even with the latest update, I can still play Cinavia-infected movies via MKV just fine without any issues as long as the header compression is removed by processing them first in Handbrake.

Last edited by SuperFist; 11-22-2014 at 02:26 AM.
post #3099 of 3107 Old 11-27-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
hey all, It's been a while since i've posted. However I have a unique issue from time to time, that I can't fully seem to remedy.

When I use the remote to turn on the unit, either by power button or hitting home, the disc try opens with or without a disc in it. Can't figure out why this happens but wondered if someone knew a fix.

Model BDP 3100 connected to a panasonic 42pU1 42" plasma TV. All other functions work correctly.

Thanks

In addition to the above problems, this thread no longer shows up in my subsciptions, did something happen to the thread?

Last edited by MacinMan; 11-28-2014 at 10:22 AM.
post #3100 of 3107 Old 12-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Have a S5100 and using it as a DLNA device playing music and video. Works well, but I have lots of music and the UI is very clunky. Tedious to page through long lists of albums to find an artist or song. I've also got a Denon AVR. The Denon Android app has a great UI that can access the S5100. Very easy to scroll quickly through or jump to a letter then select an album and song. Problem is the Denon app is extremely flaky. Frequently selected songs just won't play even though they play fine when I use the Sony remote. Sony does have a Android app, but it's even more cumbersome to use than the physical remote and the on screen UI.

So, question is are there any other Android apps that work well with the Sony S5100 and DLNA? I don't want just a IR remote replacement that uses the UI on the screen, but a replacement UI that runs on the phone and makes navigating as easy as the Denon app but that actually works with the Sony. Probably a false hope, but I can dream...

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by abalone; 12-03-2014 at 07:25 PM.
post #3101 of 3107 Old 12-04-2014, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This probably doesn't help you, and I don't know how you store your music or what platform your phone is on, but I'll throw it out there anyhow. I have all my music on Google Play Music (synched with my home PC). I bought a Chromecast for $35 and plugged it into an HDMI port on my A/V receiver. I use my Android tablet/phone with the Play Music app to play the music through the Chromecast/receiver. Works great. I don't bother trying to make it work through the Blu-Ray player. There is an app called Plex that will let you stream music and works with the Sony, but I wasn't crazy about the UI.

post #3102 of 3107 Old 12-04-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMN View Post
This probably doesn't help you, and I don't know how you store your music or what platform your phone is on, but I'll throw it out there anyhow. I have all my music on Google Play Music (synched with my home PC). I bought a Chromecast for $35 and plugged it into an HDMI port on my A/V receiver. I use my Android tablet/phone with the Play Music app to play the music through the Chromecast/receiver. Works great. I don't bother trying to make it work through the Blu-Ray player. There is an app called Plex that will let you stream music and works with the Sony, but I wasn't crazy about the UI.
Thanks for responding. Yeah, I know there are at least a 100 ways to skin the media server cat. I'm currently using Serviio on a desktop PC as the server. I've tried Plex and Windows Media Player as the DLNA server SW, but both have some issue that made me prefer Serviio for now. I have several available options for the player side, the S5100, the Denon AVR, my Samsung TV, or a laptop I have attached to the AVR. Each one has pluses and minuses. Buying yet another gizmo might be the best answer, but just exploring my options with what I have. The Denon phone app is so close to being very good, but as often happens has a fatal flaw. So, my question about a better app to access the S5100.
post #3103 of 3107 Old 12-04-2014, 02:46 PM

Ok, just in case anyone else is interested I'll answer my own question. Found the 2Player app which seems like it will work ok. Lots of nice features and works well with the S5100.

Last edited by abalone; 12-14-2014 at 06:46 PM.
post #3104 of 3107 Old Yesterday, 02:20 AM

Liked: 13
Anyone else get a software update yesterday on their BDP S3100? Any way to find out what was changed?

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

post #3105 of 3107 Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5ING View Post
Anyone else get a software update yesterday on their BDP S3100? Any way to find out what was changed?
I got the update and I found a change. I have an s1100 and an s2100. The s1100 officially has no browser. A few months ago HTML5 aps were added to the XMB menu. Those aps enabled browser access on the s1100. "Options" brought up the browser menu. I could enter URLs and save bookmarks. With the new firmware the only choice under "Options" is EXIT. This is true for the s2100, also, when the browser is entered from the XMB or the Opera Store.

I think the notice about the new firmware said it was needed for continued internet access.
post #3106 of 3107 Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Dear Valued Customer,

We are improving your internet experience by deleting the web browser. You will most assuredly sleep better at night having not read our dirty laundry on reddit. We welcome and value your comments, accolades and unquestioning support. Our email is currently out of order, but you can air mail hand written letters to our high tech customer service center in Haati.

With Greatest Respect,

Sony
post #3107 of 3107 Old Today, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5ING View Post
Yes, I got it - M14.R.0197 - and Google returns nothing. I didn't find anything on esupport.sony.com about it either. Hopefully someone can find us a link.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bx510 , dolby , m2ts , Sony , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , truehd
Gear in this thread - bx510 by PriceGrabber.com