Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 3223 Old 02-23-2015, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Angry 3D rentals removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5ING View Post
Anyone else get a software update yesterday on their BDP S3100? Any way to find out what was changed?
[edited to add model]

I am no longer able to rent 3D movies on my BDP-S5100 from Sony's Video Unlimited with the latest firmware that was released in December (M15.R.0197).

Renting 3D movies was the primary reason I selected this Bluray player, but Sony has decided to remove it. I phoned SEN and ask them, they have no answer. Sony product technical support doesn't know either. Nobody knows who would know and how to address the issue.

This was the first and last time I buy a Sony product.

Last edited by burn0gas; 02-23-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3223 Old 02-23-2015, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5ING
Anyone else get a software update yesterday on their BDP S3100? Any way to find out what was changed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by burn0gas View Post
I am not longer able to rent 3D movies from Sony's Video Unlimited with the latest firmware that was released in December (M15.R.0197).

Renting 3D movies was the primary reason I selected this Bluray player, but Sony has decided to remove it. I phoned SEN and ask them, they have no answer. Sony product technical support doesn't know either. Nobody knows who would know and how to address the issue.

This was the first and last time I buy a Sony product.

I don't believe the BDP S3100 ever did 3D movies.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

post #3153 of 3223 Old 02-23-2015, 11:09 AM

I have BDP-S5100. Yes, I was able to rent 3D prior to the firmware update.
post #3154 of 3223 Old 02-23-2015, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
BDP-S3100 Twonky Book (my book live) Video Sorting?

Hello Folks... New to this and don't know if I'm doing this right but I have a question about the BDP-S3100 Twonky Book (my book live) Video Sorting?

So here is my issue: I have a lot of movies stored on my WD My Book Live streaming unit that uses a program called Twonky. I go to the Twonky selection on my BD player menu and I see all movie folder options. When I choose to folders by year, only the chapter files show up with no names so that does not work for me.

Only one folder in the menu shows the actual movie names and I would like to be able to sort by date instead of alpha. Is this possible? I have them sorted on the WD My Live Book by most recent but it only shows up on the BD menu in alphabetically order.
post #3155 of 3223 Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 PM

Hi i'm having same issues with this equipment here in Brazil since today no connection with internet it's possible even the internet testing shows everithing it's ok a warning message appears telling about internet verification and nothing happens i tried to reset the unit and the same issue now i have a factory reset unit with no app and no streaming wonder if sony it's shutting down this service without telling anything. My internet connection it's ok other devices as smartv are running ok with no problem just my sony blu-ray started to have this connection problems does anybody heard or know something from sony about this problem.
post #3156 of 3223 Old 02-24-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Have you tried a reset back to the defaults?
Already tried that today, with no success now a i have a factory reset unit with no apps and without the ability to connect to the internet or to download anything something happened with this server sony should noticed this issued it seems to be worldwide issue
post #3157 of 3223 Old 02-24-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myronjax View Post
Hello. I am a newbie to this site, so if i step on any toes, or don't follow protocol, i apologize up front. I have a Sony Blu Ray player-BDP-S1100, that has worked fine for the 6-8 months i have had it. It is hard-wired via Ethernet cable. Then yesterday, out of the clear blue, i was no longer able to access Netflix, or anything else online for that matter. Accessing Netflix via the button on the remote does not work either. Selecting this will eventually give me this: "connection status cannot be confirmed" and something about the "server cannot be accessed. the network might not be setup correctly". But when i go through EVERY step under the network settings, it says that the Internet connection is working fine, that it's connection is good. All of my firmware has been updated, so it's not that. So my settings say i have a good Network/Internet setup, but the Internet Video says differently. Nothing else is having any issues with my Netgear router. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Hi i'm having same issues with this equipment here in Brazil since today no connection with internet it's possible even the internet testing shows everithing it's ok a warning message appears telling about internet verification and nothing happens i tried to reset the unit and the same issue now i have a factory reset unit with no apps and no streaming, wonder if sony it's shutting down this service without telling anything. My internet connection it's ok other devices as smartv are running ok with no problem just my sony blu-ray started to have this connection problems does anybody heard or know something from sony about this problem.
post #3158 of 3223 Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 PM

Sony's servers are down currently. As you may or may not know, all of the apps on your Sony BD player go through Sony servers, not directly to the apps (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, Hulu, etc.) themselves. Here's a link to Sony's community forum board about the issue. It's a nationwide, maybe worldwide outage. They are coming back online apparently, but slowly.

UPDATE: As of around 11:20pm, mine is back up in North Texas. It had been down all evening.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

Last edited by K5ING; 02-24-2015 at 09:37 PM.
post #3159 of 3223 Old 03-02-2015, 07:35 PM

RE: Default settings

Aaronwt...yes, I have tried the "reset to default settings", with no luck. I have tried unplugging the ethernet cable and plugging it back in. still no luck. Pressing the Netflix button on the remote will get me a message saying that it cannot connect to the server. But all of the internet connections in the settings are being reported as good. And I can watch Netflix on other devices in my home. Appreciate any and all help
post #3160 of 3223 Old 03-11-2015, 08:23 PM

So I just got a new receiver, a Yamaha RXV3077 and hooked it up to my BDP-S4100.

No matter what I try I cant get the Sony to bitstream to the receiver. No Master HD. no DTS audio.

Ive gone through the whole of this forum and nothing works.

HDMI audio to auto. (wt they cant have bitstream as an option is a joke)
Audio Mix Off
Audio DRC off.

I update to latest firmware for both receiver and player.

Nothing, nada.

All I want is for the little Master HD audio light to be lit.
post #3161 of 3223 Old 03-12-2015, 03:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Your settings on the player is correct. You need check your receiver setting. Specifically, make sure your receiver does not send audio to TV. Or make sure your hemi connected correctly, player-> receiver->tv.
post #3162 of 3223 Old 03-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Anybody else having trouble with the apps (Netflix, Pandora, etc.) on their Sony BDP today? Just checking to see if it's a Sony problem, or if something is wrong with my s5100. Thanks.

UNAVol
------------------------------------
There's nothing to see here.
post #3163 of 3223 Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Nobody else having trouble? I haven't tried today, but I had the problem all weekend. I know the internet connection was good and Netflix worked on my non-Sony devices. My Sony s5100 and my old s570 both gave an error when trying to connect, but both passed the network connection test. Is there a way to see if there's a problem with Sony's servers?

UNAVol
post #3164 of 3223 Old 03-16-2015, 11:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 657
All good on my end (east coast US). I did have to re-run my network setup though, which is unusual.
post #3165 of 3223 Old 03-16-2015, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
All good on my end (east coast US). I did have to re-run my network setup though, which is unusual.
I had no problems yesterday (Sunday) in US Mountain states, no need to do anything with the network setup. These sort of irregular reports of problems suggests to me that Sony may have changed some servers and there were issues with DNS servers getting updated at different times, so not everyone saw the issues or the same issues.

Vizio M501D-A2r hdtv, Sony STR-DN1050 AVR, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray, Samsung BD-UP5000 HD-DVD/Blu-ray combo, Roku 3, Apple TV
other older items of various types and vintages
post #3166 of 3223 Old 03-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the updates. I don't know why mine still isn't working. I've gone through the network setup multiple times and still get a "can't verify connection" error when I try to use any of the apps. If I check the network it says everything is fine. I get the same error on my s5100 and s570. My internet connection is fine. I'm using the wireless option. Wired is not an option. Any ideas on what I should do next?

UNAVol
post #3167 of 3223 Old 03-18-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Maybe a DNS issue. Can you set the players or your router to use different DNS servers, like Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)? Have you rebooted your router and modem?
mhobart likes this.
post #3168 of 3223 Old 03-18-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Sony uses your internet connection IP address to verify where you live so that it can offer video apps that are only licensed for that region (basically US vs rest of the world). It has been quite problematic in the past for Sony to correctly identify your location if you are on some small ISPs and the ISP made some changes that Sony can no longer identify your location. When this happens, all your video app will be gone. The only solution is to get Sony support to submit tickets and tell them who is your ISP.
post #3169 of 3223 Old 03-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Maybe a DNS issue. Can you set the players or your router to use different DNS servers, like Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)? Have you rebooted your router and modem?
I rebooted the modem and router. Same result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Sony uses your internet connection IP address to verify where you live so that it can offer video apps that are only licensed for that region (basically US vs rest of the world). It has been quite problematic in the past for Sony to correctly identify your location if you are on some small ISPs and the ISP made some changes that Sony can no longer identify your location. When this happens, all your video app will be gone. The only solution is to get Sony support to submit tickets and tell them who is your ISP.
Ugh! I hate having to do support tickets with any large company, but I may have no choice. My ISP is Comcast/xfinity. Sony should be aware of them.

Oh well, I really appreciate all of your replies.

UNAVol
post #3170 of 3223 Old 03-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

I still don't know for sure what the problem was, but a firmware update solved my 5100's issue. I haven't done the 570 yet, but I suspect the same thing is needed there.

UNAVol
post #3171 of 3223 Old 03-22-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The recent firmware updates were mainly for SSL security fixes. It's possible that Sony's site is requiring the update for security reasons.
unavol likes this.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #3172 of 3223 Old 04-03-2015, 05:43 AM

Sony s5100, freezes when playing files?

Suddenly it just freezes a few seconds into any mkv movie from an external hard drive. It first a long takes time to load then plays a bit then freezes, have to pull the plug for it to work again. Used to work, now it doesnt, no recent updates or anything. wonder what made it this way?

Last edited by dioxholster; 04-03-2015 at 06:01 AM.
post #3173 of 3223 Old 04-07-2015, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavol View Post
Thanks for the updates. I don't know why mine still isn't working. I've gone through the network setup multiple times and still get a "can't verify connection" error when I try to use any of the apps. If I check the network it says everything is fine. I get the same error on my s5100 and s570. My internet connection is fine. I'm using the wireless option. Wired is not an option. Any ideas on what I should do next?
Mine has done this several times over the past year or so. The solution was always to just restore the system to defaults or whatever, erasing the information on the player. Then I could sign in again to apps and use them as normal. Not sure why this happens.

I also frequently get freezes if I go too fast from one app to another, especially when loading files from my laptop to stream. Really annoying as usually it requires me to unplug the player and then plug it back in. Not the best player for anything outside of playing BDs in my experience.
post #3174 of 3223 Old 04-13-2015, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a 5100 and it too cannot connect to the internet as it used too
Will try the Reset to defaults soon to see if this fixes the issue
post #3175 of 3223 Old 04-13-2015, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbajner View Post
I have a 5100 and it too cannot connect to the internet as it used too
Will try the Reset to defaults soon to see if this fixes the issue
Same here. Sometimes I've gotten a connection after re-booting the router. Weird
post #3176 of 3223 Old 04-14-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Same here. Sometimes I've gotten a connection after re-booting the router. Weird
Just glanced at the recent replies of the thread. I wonder if the connection issues are geographical or ISP specific? I have the 3100 and i've been using it all along with no network issues. In fact, the Revision3 app is working again, the last time I tried it. The rest of the functionality still seems solid too.
post #3177 of 3223 Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Just glanced at the recent replies of the thread. I wonder if the connection issues are geographical or ISP specific? I have the 3100 and i've been using it all along with no network issues. In fact, the Revision3 app is working again, the last time I tried it. The rest of the functionality still seems solid too.
My 3100 is working fine too. I have the occasional freeze up when playing 1080p stuff sometimes, but not very often and I think that has more to do with my router or the external hd and the computer it's feeding through. As far as connecting to the internet, however, it's been flawless.

73, K5ING (Jeff)

post #3178 of 3223 Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have an s5100 model
None of the apps are working due to no internet connection ad others have this issue as well
Did the Reset All thing
Had to do Agree with license
Now no apps at all under each category since the Reset All cleared them out, just one choice under each to connect
Click on this and same as before, it tries but then fails
Did the Network setup which says all connected when done
So now have just a Bluray player with no Apps at all
What a junk unit this is turning out to be
I have this hard wired not wifi for connection
Need advice on how to continue
post #3179 of 3223 Old 04-16-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbajner View Post
Have an s5100 model
None of the apps are working due to no internet connection ad others have this issue as well
Did the Reset All thing
Had to do Agree with license
Now no apps at all under each category since the Reset All cleared them out, just one choice under each to connect
Click on this and same as before, it tries but then fails
Did the Network setup which says all connected when done
So now have just a Bluray player with no Apps at all
What a junk unit this is turning out to be
I have this hard wired not wifi for connection
Need advice on how to continue
I think we have different causes for our "no internet" problem. My problem was consistent across the board of different devices, not just the 5100. The Sony has been a good performer for me, but I rarely use the apps as I have them duplicated on other devices that I use frequently. I do notice that the 5100 Netflix app is different than my Roku, and the up-rez on PQ seems sharper.

Last night, I got my internet to the 5100 and all my other devices by doing several things in order. First, I re-booted (again) my ATT Netgear Router, then I unplugged my Panny 60ST60 for a few minutes before re-plugging it back in. After that, I went into the Network Settings on the ST60 and went the entire process of selecting the wireless network, re-entering my password, etc. Voila! The damn thing worked again including the Sony 5100, the Roku, the Amazon Fire Stick, and all the apps on the TV. Not sure what exactly knocked me off my home network, so it's still a work in progress.
post #3180 of 3223 Old 04-16-2015, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there any chance an S5100 would recognize and play a "region free" 50i Blu-Ray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60ST60
Sony BDP-S3100
Denon X2000
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bx510 , dolby , m2ts , Sony , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , truehd
Gear in this thread - bx510 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page