Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 107 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3181 of 3195 Old 04-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbajner View Post
Have an s5100 model
None of the apps are working due to no internet connection ad others have this issue as well
Did the Reset All thing
Had to do Agree with license
Now no apps at all under each category since the Reset All cleared them out, just one choice under each to connect
Click on this and same as before, it tries but then fails
Did the Network setup which says all connected when done
So now have just a Bluray player with no Apps at all
What a junk unit this is turning out to be
I have this hard wired not wifi for connection
Need advice on how to continue
Sounds similar to the problem I was having with my 5100. Have you tried updating the firmware? That's what finally solved my problem.

UNAVol
------------------------------------
There's nothing to see here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3195 Old 04-17-2015, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Standby or Screen Saver during disc menu

Will any of these Sony players go to standby or screen saver if a disc menu is playing for too long.

All Samsung players only go to standby or screen saver if left on the player menu for too long not a disc menu
post #3183 of 3195 Old 04-17-2015, 10:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_col View Post
Will any of these Sony players go to standby or screen saver if a disc menu is playing for too long.

All Samsung players only go to standby or screen saver if left on the player menu for too long not a disc menu
In my S5100 manual it says

Quote:
The player automatically returns to
standby mode
If any button on the player or remote is
not pressed for more than 30 minutes,
the player automatically returns to
standby mode.
I know whenever I come back to a room after leaving the player on a while it will be in standby.

EDIT: I guess they changed it to 20 minutes for my S6200's.

And it looks like the S5500 is 20 minutes also

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-17-2015 at 10:05 PM.
post #3184 of 3195 Old 04-17-2015, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxholster View Post
Suddenly it just freezes a few seconds into any mkv movie from an external hard drive. It first a long takes time to load then plays a bit then freezes, have to pull the plug for it to work again. Used to work, now it doesnt, no recent updates or anything. wonder what made it this way?
It happens the same to me. You don't have to do anything, it will resume playing by itself in a few minutes.
post #3185 of 3195 Old 04-18-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
In my S5100 manual it says

I know whenever I come back to a room after leaving the player on a while it will be in standby.

EDIT: I guess they changed it to 20 minutes for my S6200's.

And it looks like the S5500 is 20 minutes also

Will it go on standby then if you are in the middle of a movie?
post #3186 of 3195 Old 04-18-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1388 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
I know it has when I've paused it and not come back to it for awhile.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #3187 of 3195 Old 04-18-2015, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
NTSC or PAL? Which is better for upscaling?

1080p has exactly 6 times more pixels than an NTSC image and exactly 5 times more pixels than a PAL image. This suggests that NTSC and PAL require different upscaling algorithms and might yield different results in terms of picture quality.

A few weeks ago, I watched the movie Alien Apocalypse on DVD and the picture quality was terrible. Then I noticed that the movie was in the NTSC format despite being an Australian DVD. Does NTSC always result in a poorer image than PAL when upscaled? Or is my Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player just bad at upscaling NTSC images because it's an Australian player that's designed to upscale PAL images? Or did the Alien Apocalypse DVD simply have a bad transfer?
post #3188 of 3195 Old 04-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
My S3100 will play the movie through. However, if during the playing I hit pause and wait long enough, the screen saver will kick in. If I don't respond in another ... I think it is 5 or 10 minutes ... it will step down to Standby (the pilot light goes out and disc stops spinning, and since at that point there is no signal on the HDMI port, in a few minutes the TV also shuts off). But when I hit the Play button the S3100 will wake up (and I would want to also hit Power on the TV remote to wake up the TV if it had dropped to OFF), and hitting Play again the disc will start playing from where it left off.

I may have set some settings that affect some of the timing, such as how long before the screen saver kicks in.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #3189 of 3195 Old 04-18-2015, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why was my new thread "NTSC or PAL? Which is better for upscaling?" merged with this thread? My question is about upscaling and video formats. It is not about any specific player model. I only put my player's model number in as an afterthought. If there is some kind of rule on this forum that any thread which mentions a model number has to be merged, I'll be happy to remove the model number from my question.

To the moderator who moved it, please return my thread to its original place.
post #3190 of 3195 Old 04-19-2015, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSpiker View Post
Why was my new thread "NTSC or PAL? Which is better for upscaling?" merged with this thread? My question is about upscaling and video formats. It is not about any specific player model. I only put my player's model number in as an afterthought. If there is some kind of rule on this forum that any thread which mentions a model number has to be merged, I'll be happy to remove the model number from my question.

To the moderator who moved it, please return my thread to its original place.
If it helps you I have a region free s5100 and import PAL Doctor Who DVDs and they look pretty much identical to the US versions. PAL does have slightly higher resolution but on DVD and upscaled to 1080p I don't think it ends up making much of a difference.
post #3191 of 3195 Old 04-19-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
My S3100 will play the movie through. However, if during the playing I hit pause and wait long enough, the screen saver will kick in. If I don't respond in another ... I think it is 5 or 10 minutes ... it will step down to Standby (the pilot light goes out and disc stops spinning, and since at that point there is no signal on the HDMI port, in a few minutes the TV also shuts off). But when I hit the Play button the S3100 will wake up (and I would want to also hit Power on the TV remote to wake up the TV if it had dropped to OFF), and hitting Play again the disc will start playing from where it left off.

I may have set some settings that affect some of the timing, such as how long before the screen saver kicks in.
thanks for the advice.. I guess I'll go try and see what happens
post #3192 of 3195 Old 04-19-2015, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Did the firmware update to my s5100
Now the connection to internet issue is resolved
Now on ver 195 was on 178
Had to download the files from my computer and place on a cd-r disc to do the update
post #3193 of 3195 Old 04-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
1080p has exactly 6 times more pixels than an NTSC image and exactly 5 times more pixels than a PAL image. This suggests that NTSC and PAL require different upscaling algorithms and might yield different results in terms of picture quality.
I would think the scaling algorithms would be very similar. There may be differences in judder since NTSC countries use 30 frames per second and PAL countries use 25 frames per second, but I wouldn't expect that much difference in picture resolution (PAL: 576 visible lines, NTSC: 480 visible lines, typically), maybe with PAL getting just a bit more detail than NTSC.

Quote:
A few weeks ago, I watched the movie Alien Apocalypse on DVD and the picture quality was terrible. Then I noticed that the movie was in the NTSC format despite being an Australian DVD. Does NTSC always result in a poorer image than PAL when upscaled? Or is my Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player just bad at upscaling NTSC images because it's an Australian player that's designed to upscale PAL images? Or did the Alien Apocalypse DVD simply have a bad transfer?
Alien Apocalypse (2005) was filmed in Bulgaria and a film lab in Bulgaria was used. It was a made-for-TV movie (Sci Fi Pictures listed first in the list of production companies and they are known more for low-budget monster-of-the-week productions than for anything of substance) and one reviewer on IMDB commented on the aliens being a combination of awkward animatronics and cheap-looking CGI. At that time (2005) CRT TV sales (150 million units sold in 2005) were vastly outnumbering all other TV types combined (maybe about 30 million units sold in 2005), and the average CRT TV size was 27 inches. But it was known way back in 1990 that the future of TV would probably include the 16:9 (approx. 1.78:1) aspect ratio (part of "Rec. 709").

So, between being a made-for-TV movie, TVs averaging about 27 inches in those days, and HDTV still being off in the future, my guess would be that Alien Apocalypse was designed to look good on 27 inches or somewhat larger screen, but without the effort to make it look good on a much larger screen like the 50-in HDTVs we have today.

So, if I had to guess, the reason why the DVD didn't scale that well was because (my guess) the image on the DVD had issues that were easily overlooked at 27 inches but became in-your-face obnoxious when magnified to 50 inches.

A better test for NTSC DVD being upscaled is to take a DVD that has a good transfer from a movie, a made-for-the-silver-screen movie, and see how that looks.

I play a lot of DVDs in my Sony BDP-S3100, which is connected to my 50-in HDTV via HDMI, and most of the DVDs look good (not as good as Blu-ray), but a few really do look bad, exhibiting artifacts that the DVD had accurately copied from their source materials (such as "ringing" artifacts from video tapes, or worse), and the scaler in the Blu-ray player (or, if played by a DVD player, the scaler in the TV) faithfully scales those artifacts. It's like the old computer term: GIGO (Garbage In = Garbage Out).

The idea that something suitable for a small screen would look bad on a big screen isn't anything new. A lot of special effects for the small screen don't look so special when shown on a larger screen where overlooked clues on how the effects were done are suddenly in your face, such as the hint of supporting wires for what was suppose to be flying craft, or shift in the sand making it obvious that the approaching monster is being pulled forward by a buried string, hints that wouldn't show up on a 12-in or 27-in screen but are now in-your-face on a 50-in screen. And going to HD just made it worse, requiring that production houses be more careful with their special effects and post production or the audience would be seeing how the effects were done.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #3194 of 3195 Old 04-21-2015, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Are the x100 series affected by Google's deprecation of some YouTube interfaces that have blocked it from being used on older players, like the x70 and x80 series?

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #3195 of 3195 Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 601
No. They all use the newer app.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bx510 , dolby , m2ts , Sony , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , truehd
Gear in this thread - bx510 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page