Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #3211 of 3223 Old 07-02-2015, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is exactly the same problem I have been having with a S5100, software ver. M15.R.0197 for the last 2 or 3 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3223 Old 07-03-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 2267
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5ING View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has had trouble playing YouTube videos in the last few days. My 3100 has always played them fine until recently. Now, it may play one or two, but will freeze up, usually upon loading. All commands including exit are unresponsive and the only way to get the player to do anything is to unplug it. Sometimes holding down on the power button for about 15 seconds will work, sometimes not. Since it's only affecting YouTube, I figure it may be on their end so I have resisted doing any excessive fiddling or resets on my end. If anyone else is having the same problem, then I'm sure it is them, and not us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRI-MONITOR View Post
That is exactly the same problem I have been having with a S5100, software ver. M15.R.0197 for the last 2 or 3 weeks.
That's why I came here, to see if anyone else....my bedroom unit recently started doing as k5ing says, gotta unplug it (off just flashes forever otherwise). I thought it might be the youtube android phone app I was using to do search/selection. Didn't seem to matter if I was using just the S5100 remote.

I have another one but haven't had youtube on it lately, will see if that one is also affected, will try with remote then app to see if it makes a difference...
post #3213 of 3223 Old 07-07-2015, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
My 5100 is also having major problems freezing with YT videos, while paired and "casting" from my iPhone. As of now the unit has been on with "NET" showing on the display for two solid days. Usually it will go off at least after a few hours but this time not, apparently.

Sunday evening I was able to watch quite a few videos before it froze up. It seems to happen more often when I try to scrub forwards or backwards in a video via the YT app on my phone, or if I try to replay a video that has finished.

So is it due to some sort of recent firmware update? I understand that YT content apparently comes through Sony servers on these players, as I found out a few months ago when there was a problem with Sony servers that left all net functionality inoperative on Sony BDP's and TV's. Could there be some issue there?
post #3214 of 3223 Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, a quick question. Does your player mute the volume whenever an HDMI handshake occurs somewhere in your HDMI chain? I.e., does your volume mute/interrupt if you're listening to music with the player, and then you turn on or off your TV?

Acer Revo RL100 HTPC Win7 64;1.3Hz Athlon II Neo K325 Dual Core;4GB 1,066MHz DDR3;512MB (shared) Nvidia GeForce GT9400 (Ion) OR Oppo 105D>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Oppo 105D>Linn 5125>Aktiv Katans(K400 and Linn silver RCA), OR Optical out from Oppo>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
Synology 215j, Asus N66U router
post #3215 of 3223 Old 07-10-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey guys, after a couple years with the 3100, I decided to upgrade to the 5500, so far I enjoy the changes. While the 3100 still works, I thought it was time for an upgrade as it was already a couple years old, and they don't last forever. Seems like i got a nice set of upgrades 4k compatibility a faster user interface etc. If anyone here follows that thread for the new model could you please give me the link to that thread? thanks
post #3216 of 3223 Old 07-10-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Hey guys, after a couple years with the 3100, I decided to upgrade to the 5500, so far I enjoy the changes. While the 3100 still works, I thought it was time for an upgrade as it was already a couple years old, and they don't last forever. Seems like i got a nice set of upgrades 4k compatibility a faster user interface etc. If anyone here follows that thread for the new model could you please give me the link to that thread? thanks

4K compatible? Where did you see that? The S5500 is only 1080P according to the Sony site.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #3217 of 3223 Old 07-10-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
well based on the 4k Settings i saw in settings, i got the impression it was compatible with 4k content. Maybe it down samples it to 1080p. By the way, didn't buy it on the hopes of watching 4k content, I mainly bought it for a software and UI update, I just happened to see 4k options in the system settings. Also I had issues with Gracenote working, i have it enabled the unit is connected as all online stuff works, even updated to the latest firmware . But when I tried to get recommendations, or get Gracenote information on a blu-ray i watched, it just said it couldn't retrieve the information. I know in the past these sony units are hit and miss at times with web services.

Last edited by MacinMan; 07-10-2015 at 02:39 PM.
post #3218 of 3223 Old 07-10-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

@slimoli I apologize for my miss information in the above post. I thought I had purchased the BDP-S5500, based on the fact walmart had three sony models in stock, when I read the box again at home it is in fact the BDP-S6500, so maybe that's why i saw 4k related stuff. I must have gotten the very top of the line unit this time around without realizing it.
post #3219 of 3223 Old 07-10-2015, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
@slimoli I apologize for my miss information in the above post. I thought I had purchased the BDP-S5500, based on the fact walmart had three sony models in stock, when I read the box again at home it is in fact the BDP-S6500, so maybe that's why i saw 4k related stuff. I must have gotten the very top of the line unit this time around without realizing it.

No need to apologize, that's fine. The S6500 is a nice piece of hardware, congrats.

I was so happy without HDR...
post #3220 of 3223 Old Yesterday, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just remember that the x500 series can only decode DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD as 2.0 if you receiver cannot decode them, or has issues with some TrueHD encodings (Disney disks like "Monster's University").

• Audio Features Decodability

• dts : DTS decoding (2ch)
    • Sound Bar Mode : Yes
    • AV Sync : Yes
    • DRC : Yes
    • Digital Music Enhancer : Yes
    • Dolby® : Dolby True HD decoding (2Ch)

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #3221 of 3223 Old Yesterday, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Just remember that the x500 series can only decode DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD as 2.0 if you receiver cannot decode them, or has issues with some TrueHD encodings (Disney disks like "Monster's University").

• Audio Features Decodability

• dts : DTS decoding (2ch)
    • Sound Bar Mode : Yes
    • AV Sync : Yes
    • DRC : Yes
    • Digital Music Enhancer : Yes
    • Dolby® : Dolby True HD decoding (2Ch)
Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't considered that, but since I am only using built in TV speakers right now, and i'm limited to stereo anyway for all devices currently. It probably doesn't make a difference for the time being.
post #3222 of 3223 Old Today, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
ughhh pretty much every day this stupid S5100 freezes up while playing YT content. Sucks!
post #3223 of 3223 Old Today, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 2267
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
ughhh pretty much every day this stupid S5100 freezes up while playing YT content. Sucks!
Reminds me to check the other 5100....not watching lots of YT but would be nice to rely on a major app like that...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bx510 , dolby , m2ts , Sony , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , truehd
Gear in this thread - bx510 by PriceGrabber.com