Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3070 Old 04-13-2013, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
So i'm torn between the new Sony 510 model at Costco and the mew Panasonic BDT 230 model. I'll be 80% of the time Netflix streaming on a 5.1 system using HDMI and optical or digital cable to yamaha reciever and Blu Ray the rest. I have no interest in 3D as my old Sony 720p DLP can't do it and hate the look of it anyway and will be using gigabit ethernet to connect either one, I don't use Wireless in my home other then for my friends tablets and smartphones.

Sony has left a very bitter taste in my mouth after the crap they pulled on consumers years ago, namely the LCD panel price gauging and lying about the DRM infested music CD's people were buying, so hence why Im still leaning towards the Panasonic BDT 230. However, when I tried the BDT 220 model at Costco a few months ago. I really hated how slow it was to buffer Netflix even on my 30meg cable connection and the built menu system is really slow, laggy and not real user friendly. Blue rays loaded up in decent time from my perception but the remote was frustrating to use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3070 Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I think you'll find most people here seem very happy with netflix on the s5100.
post #363 of 3070 Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ceTr0n View Post

So i'm torn between the new Sony 510 model at Costco and the mew Panasonic BDT 230 model. I'll be 80% of the time Netflix streaming on a 5.1 system using HDMI and optical or digital cable to yamaha reciever and Blu Ray the rest. I have no interest in 3D as my old Sony 720p DLP can't do it and hate the look of it anyway and will be using gigabit ethernet to connect either one, I don't use Wireless in my home other then for my friends tablets and smartphones.

Sony has left a very bitter taste in my mouth after the crap they pulled on consumers years ago, namely the LCD panel price gauging and lying about the DRM infested music CD's people were buying, so hence why Im still leaning towards the Panasonic BDT 230. However, when I tried the BDT 220 model at Costco a few months ago. I really hated how slow it was to buffer Netflix even on my 30meg cable connection and the built menu system is really slow, laggy and not real user friendly. Blue rays loaded up in decent time from my perception but the remote was frustrating to use

I used to use Sony Products all the time in the 90's and early 2000's. But over the last eight or nine years the only Sony Product I've owned has been a PS3 Fat and then a PS3 slim. Until a few weeks ago when I got my first Sony S5100. For me I prefer using it over my BDT220. The apps start faster with the S5100 as well. But for me I also like it because of the access to the Netflix 3D content. Plus the Sony S5100 has not had any problems playing back BD-Live like my BDT220 has.

Worst case, try the players out and return the one you don't like. For me, the only reason I am keeping the BDT220 and not getting a 3rd S5100 is because the BDT220 can output the checkerboard pattern that my bedroom LED DLP set needs to play 3D content since it does not have a built in converter.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #364 of 3070 Old 04-13-2013, 05:21 PM

Decent upconversion for DVD's would be nice also as thats basically all I have until I buy more Blu Rays that are worth buying
post #365 of 3070 Old 04-14-2013, 02:48 PM

Liked: 13
Anybody else notice a distinct difference between PCM vs bitstream? The PCM is a degree better in pulling out little sounds and imaging for me which is puzzling. Almost as if it is only bitstreaming the DTS core even though the receiver confirms DTS HD MA.

edit - This is S5100 I'm talking about. By the way, it has the best quality Netflix and Youtube I have seen. Even when the internet connection is slow and it plays at standard definition, the 480p looks wonderful. Upconverts better than any PS3 or Blu player I have used so far.
post #366 of 3070 Old 04-14-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLight View Post

Anybody else notice a distinct difference between PCM vs bitstream? The PCM is a degree better in pulling out little sounds and imaging for me which is puzzling. Almost as if it is only bitstreaming the DTS core even though the receiver confirms DTS HD MA.

edit - This is S5100 I'm talking about. By the way, it has the best quality Netflix and Youtube I have seen. Even when the internet connection is slow and it plays at standard definition, the 480p looks wonderful. Upconverts better than any PS3 or Blu player I have used so far.

Sounds like the issue is with your receiver and its ability to take the bitstream audio and convert rather than the player doing its own conversion from bitstream (on the disk) to PCM.

I've noticed no difference.
post #367 of 3070 Old 04-14-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Sounds like the issue is with your receiver and its ability to take the bitstream audio and convert rather than the player doing its own conversion from bitstream (on the disk) to PCM.

I've noticed no difference.

Thanks, will check it out some more later when the wife and kids go to sleep. Will compare to the bitstream audio from a couple other blu-ray players as well. Only compared with The Hobbit so far.
post #368 of 3070 Old 04-14-2013, 05:56 PM

Strange also that it won't decode and send pcm Dolby TrueHD. Sony specs says it does it two channel only which is what my receiver got. Very odd as its usually DTS MA that an older player doesn't decode but basically all for the past few years fully decode TrueHD.
post #369 of 3070 Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Strange also that it won't decode and send pcm Dolby TrueHD. Sony specs says it does it two channel only which is what my receiver got. Very odd as its usually DTS MA that an older player doesn't decode but basically all for the past few years fully decode TrueHD.

This is the only disappointing thing for me.

I keep the BD Audio Mix setting enabled, so the unit will usually do the decoding. When playing a TrueHD title, it automatically bitstreams but for some reason it sends the standard DD track instead of the HD track. It's not like it can mix BD audio with the regular DD track, so I don't understand why it can't simply bitstream the HD track.

Hopefully this will get resolved in a future firmware update.
kkirsche likes this.
post #370 of 3070 Old 04-14-2013, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenegg View Post

This is the only disappointing thing for me.

I keep the BD Audio Mix setting enabled, so the unit will usually do the decoding. When playing a TrueHD title, it automatically bitstreams but for some reason it sends the standard DD track instead of the HD track. It's not like it can mix BD audio with the regular DD track, so I don't understand why it can't simply bitstream the HD track.

Hopefully this will get resolved in a future firmware update.

This is the way all BD players behave.
post #371 of 3070 Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

This is the way all BD players behave.

The PS3 is perfectly capable of decoding TrueHD tracks.
kkirsche likes this.
post #372 of 3070 Old 04-14-2013, 08:55 PM

The spec sheet of blu ray players shows the past Sony models decoding TrueHD...so it seems intentional for this 2013 family. Not sure why they would do it.

If I can figure out how to make the bitstream DTS HD MA sound like the PCM then I will just bitstream everything but if not will have to take it back. With the $70 Magnavox I got at wally world a couple years ago it is all consistent.
post #373 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 AM

Would really appreciate some discussion on the picture quality, reliability, set-up ease and function of the remote for the Sony BDP-S1100.

Just got a new Samsung UN46EH6000 TV (1080p), and now the wife wants to rent/buy Blu-ray movies to play on it.
We are elderly and the 3D stuff gives us headaches so we did not waste money for 3D on the TV & thus do not want or need the 3D capability on a blu-ray DVD player. Our TV broadcast source is OTA via antennas so no WIFI (our dsl is too slow to support a download video stream) and Cable is not available in our rural area.
Since Sony kind of "wrote the book" on Blu-ray, I figured the Sony players would likely be a reasonable first place to look.
Consumer Reports rates Panasonic BD77, BD87 & BDT220/230 well, if some think I should look there also.

BTW, the wisdom found on this forum was instrumental in our choosing our previous TV back in 2007 (Sony 36" CRT HD 1080i).
Thanks to all.
post #374 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

The spec sheet of blu ray players shows the past Sony models decoding TrueHD...so it seems intentional for this 2013 family. Not sure why they would do it.

If I can figure out how to make the bitstream DTS HD MA sound like the PCM then I will just bitstream everything but if not will have to take it back. With the $70 Magnavox I got at wally world a couple years ago it is all consistent.
\

They do it to save money. You have to pay money to have a license to decode to multi-channel audio. The only reason for them to not decode to multi-channel audio is because they decided not to pay for the license.

LED DLP

post #375 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Not from 3D BDs. At least they have not implemented it yet.

LED DLP

post #376 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ps3 is a special case. If you recall the original ps3 wasn't able to even bitstream hd audio at all. Hd audio was converted to PCM
post #377 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Not from 3D BDs. At least they have not implemented it yet.

But it works fine for regular BD disks. It's just silly that their latest and greatest stand-alone player can't.
post #378 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

But it works fine for regular BD disks. It's just silly that their latest and greatest stand-alone player can't.

I guess youll say the same thing if the PS4 cant do it either? it makes business sense to me. The amounf of peole that have AVRs that cant decode the stream is getting smaller and smaller...I guess its silly that last year companies offered analog outputs, but this year they dont?
post #379 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

I guess youll say the same thing if the PS4 cant do it either? it makes business sense to me. The amounf of peole that have AVRs that cant decode the stream is getting smaller and smaller...I guess its silly that last year companies offered analog outputs, but this year they dont?

You apparently didn't read my issue regarding this missing feature.

It's a requirement to have the BD player decode the audio if you also want to hear the supplemental BD audio (sounds from menus, etc.). Because of this, it's a hit when the player doesn't support decoding of an audio track.

With that said, the way the S5100 handles this situation is a little baffling. If you set the output format to AUTO (instead of forcing PCM) and you enable mixing of BD audio, it will end up bitstreaming the standard DD track when playing TrueHD content. This doesn't make any sense. Since it switched to bitstreaming, it can't output the supplemental audio. When taking that in to consideration, why wouldn't the player simply bitstream the TrueHD track? There's no benefit to defaulting to the non HD track.
post #380 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
In order to bitstream lossless audio, supplemental audio/secondary audio, must be disabled otherwise the lossy track will be bitstreamed. All of my BD players work this way (Sony, Panasonic, Samsung). As to why Sony decided to only do two channel TrueHD decoding this year on all models, whereas last year it was only on the lowest end model, one will never know. It does create a problem when mixing in the secondary audio. I for one, don't use it.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #381 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 01:13 PM

I called Sony support this afternoon and was told that the lack of TrueHD decoding (in the S5100) is due to a licensing issue, which is apparently to be resolved in the near future. A firmware update will bring the functionality to the unit.

I'm not sure how reliable Sony support is for this type of info, so take it with a grain of salt.
post #382 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:

I called Sony support this afternoon and was told that the lack of TrueHD decoding (in the S5100) is due to a licensing issue, which is apparently to be resolved in the near future. A firmware update will bring the functionality to the unit.

I'm not sure how reliable Sony support is for this type of info, so take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for heads up, will be doing some comparisons with new Sammy and Panasonic models in the mean time. Checking how it upconverts Dark Knight Rises DVD right now.
post #383 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 PM

So I just picked up a 510 model at Costco and trying out Netflix with true grit. The Sony interface is a bit smoother the the slow panasonic 220 I tried a few months ago. I don't however see the Netflix interface being any different at all, and I'm not seeing how you can bring up the connection rate info on Netflix.

I also noted right away the player is making a high pitched whining sound and as soon as I power it off it goes away, I might have to take it back for that alone.

I also noted that my Costco had the new dual core Samsung model in. Worth a try or do they still suck?
post #384 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 02:55 PM

Hmm figured out the whine, for some reason the player was still spinning the Blu ray even while I was watching Netflix, that's weird.
post #385 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM

I must apologize to forum members. I now realize that I should have made my post (#373) re: S1100, a new thread.
post #386 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Hmm figured out the whine, for some reason the player was still spinning the Blu ray even while I was watching Netflix, that's weird.

Ya, it doesn't ever spin down the disk. Not sure why that's the case. I've just been diligent at ejecting disks after I'm done with them.
post #387 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All the Sony bd players do this even if you are using net features. The disk will always spin. No idea why.

On netflix, to display the info overlay just hit the display button on the remote.
post #388 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also noted that my Costco had the new dual core Samsung model in. Worth a try or do they still suck?

I recently tried the f7500 samsung. You can read what I thought of it in the dedicated thread but overall I rather liked it for its streaming (local and cloud) features. However there are some issues.
post #389 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 06:26 PM

Maybe the die hard videophiles can answer this, why did sony get rid of the optical out and do only digital coaxiall? Optical cables are smaller, easier to flex and arn't prone to interference, shy why they ditch it? I can't see the info overlay very well because its cut off for some reason on the left side of my Sony DLP 50E2000 TV, almost like the video resolution is wrong like it does with my HTPC. I could swore people said the Netflix inferface was totally new with this model but its the same slow one on the Panasonic 220 I tried.
post #390 of 3070 Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

Maybe the die hard videophiles can answer this, why did sony get rid of the optical out and do only digital coaxiall? Optical cables are smaller, easier to flex and arn't prone to interference, shy why they ditch it? I can't see the info overlay very well because its cut off for some reason on the left side of my Sony DLP 50E2000 TV, almost like the video resolution is wrong like it does with my HTPC. I could swore people said the Netflix inferface was totally new with this model but its the same slow one on the Panasonic 220 I tried.
My sony 60A2000 (same as your 50E2000) had major overscan issues as well that I was never able to correct.

You'd love the new sony netflix interface if you'd ever seen the train wreck the old one was (x70 series).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page