Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3098 Old 05-04-2013, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by echeng View Post

I just got the S3100. I have two questions and I hope someone know the answers to this

1) The wifi on S3100 seems very weak. The streaming from amazon is about 0.5 Mbs to 2.5 Mbs whereas my roku is super fast. Do you think I have a defective one or are they all like this?

2) The question is not addressing a problem. I am just curious. It says he machine does not have internal memory yet it has a browser and can show webpages. This does not make sense to me.

Thanks.

Ed

What does the quality look like ? I wouldn't pay any attention to the bit rate shown on the screen. In the opera browser there is a app called network test. You can do a speed check with that.

The player does have internal RAM ... It has to in order for apps and local data to be stored. However that RAM can not be used for BD Live content and therefore a external USB stick is required for bd live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3098 Old 05-05-2013, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Originally Posted by echeng

I just got the S3100. I have two questions and I hope someone know the answers to this

1) The wifi on S3100 seems very weak. The streaming from amazon is about 0.5 Mbs to 2.5 Mbs whereas my roku is super fast. Do you think I have a defective one or are they all like this?

2) The question is not addressing a problem. I am just curious. It says he machine does not have internal memory yet it has a browser and can show webpages. This does not make sense to me.

Thanks.

Ed

I experience a lot of drop out myself with the amazon app. Especially when the teenager is on his online video games. VUDU has a drop out here and there when the boy is on his games, netflix is PERFECT. Never drops out even with Super HD titles, nor does my Apple TV.

To be clear it is not a network issue with us. We have Broadband 100 and speed tests regularly hit 65-70 mps even when both teenagers are home and on the Internet.

I think it's a Sony/ Amazon thing.

post #543 of 3098 Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

What does the quality look like ? I wouldn't pay any attention to the bit rate shown on the screen. In the opera browser there is a app called network test. You can do a speed check with that.

The player does have internal RAM ... It has to in order for apps and local data to be stored. However that RAM can not be used for BD Live content and therefore a external USB stick is required for bd live.

Thanks apw2607. Two more questions.

1) I used the network test app as suggested and I got about 2.5Mbs. However when I plugged the player to a trendnet "wireless bridge" to access the network, the test gave 7.9Mbs. So do you think I got a lemon or they are all bad?

2) If I do decided to return this machine and get a different brand, is there anything I need to do to clear the internal RAM other than reset to factory condition?

Thanks.

Ed.
post #544 of 3098 Old 05-05-2013, 01:34 PM

Alright, so I'm a bit confused by the file format/containers thing.

My question now is, will it play DV video (.AVI) that I imported directly from my Sony MiniDV camera?

If not, what format could I convert to with minimal or no loss of quality? What software to use for the conversion? I know that mpeg2 would work, but I'd prefer to keep them in the original format.

My intention is to get this player since A) I don't have a blu ray player now and B) I would like it to play all of my home videos that I will be putting on a large harddrive. My old laptop has a firewire plug and an old copy of Pinnacle 9 on it. I've used both pinnacle and windows live photo gallery to import the movies. So far I'm liking windows better since it can split the files by date and time and name them automatically.

Thanks.
post #545 of 3098 Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM

Wow! This is a lot of discussion for some dvd players. I just want to know if I should spend twice as much and go with the 3100, or will the 1100 suffice? (It's only 60 bucks at Sam's Club). I just want to play dvds, but all this chatter makes me wonder if I will want to do more! I have an Apple TV, so should I care about extra features? Thanks!
post #546 of 3098 Old 05-06-2013, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khackett View Post

Wow! This is a lot of discussion for some dvd players. I just want to know if I should spend twice as much and go with the 3100, or will the 1100 suffice? (It's only 60 bucks at Sam's Club). I just want to play dvds, but all this chatter makes me wonder if I will want to do more! I have an Apple TV, so should I care about extra features? Thanks!

Their really disk, local and cloud based media players. They do a lot more than simply play a DVD.

The 1100 doesn't have any DLNA capability so no network local playback.
post #547 of 3098 Old 05-06-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by khackett View Post

DVDs or Blu-rays? buy the model that will fit your needs, the apple TV will take care of msot of the streaming content. If you are not ready for a more expensive player or will not sue its features then dont spend the money. I dont spend other peoples money and the final decision will be up to you if the proce difference is justified.
marctronixx likes this.
post #548 of 3098 Old 05-07-2013, 06:19 AM

Bought this and pleased with performance so far. I have a wired network connection at my TV location, so connection is no issue.

Question i have is the DLNA server. I can stream no problem, but as I add new content I am not certain how it updates. e.g. I added and changed folders and the player must have stored the previous configuration...and then suddenly it shows up. I cannot find anywhere in the manual how to tell the player to update.

Jim
post #549 of 3098 Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonga View Post

Bought this and pleased with performance so far. I have a wired network connection at my TV location, so connection is no issue.

Question i have is the DLNA server. I can stream no problem, but as I add new content I am not certain how it updates. e.g. I added and changed folders and the player must have stored the previous configuration...and then suddenly it shows up. I cannot find anywhere in the manual how to tell the player to update.

Library refresh is the function of your DLNA server, not the client.
post #550 of 3098 Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonga View Post

As stated above library refresh is a function of the server. Some can be set up to automatically refresh, and some can be set up to refresh manually. Eitherway, if you think its up to date but the player is still showing old data, the easiest way to double check is to delete the server on the player, and then add it back.
marctronixx likes this.
post #551 of 3098 Old 05-08-2013, 03:07 AM

Quote:

First things first. Did you try playing the files directly on the player by moving the files onto a temporary disk and connecting to the player ? Do they playback without interruption and with good quality?

Here's the results of further investigation:

The MKVs that locked up the 5100 when streamed via DNLA also locked up the player at the same scenes when played from a locally attached USB hard drive. Apparently there is something wrong with some of my blu-ray rips, although I'm not sure what. I created all my rips the same way using MakeMKV. Remuxing the MKV with MKVmerge did not solve the problem. Remuxing them into M2TS with tsMuxeR DID make them playable. I'm going to re-rip some of the blu-rays and see if the problem goes away.

Low video quality when streaming from Plex was resolved by changing the Local Video Quality from "Default" to "1080p @ 20mbps". This setting is located on the s5100 at Plex | Video | Preferences. I don't know why it was necessary for me to change this setting. Using the default Sony BDP profile supplied with Plex, it appears that Plex is remuxing the MKVs on the fly into M2TS streams. This allows the problematic MKVs to play, but at the expense of loss of chapter skipping. Attempting to skip chapters when streaming from Plex as M2TS causes the stream to skip to the next movie or restart the current movie from the beginning. Fast Forwarding/Rewinding either restarts the movie or locks up the player. Audio is streamed as Dolby Digital on most of my MKVs. 480p MKVs made by ripping a DVD using MakeMKV are playable in Plex, presumably becuase Plex is remuxing them into M2TS .

With Transcoding enabled and using the Sony BDP-Sx90 (2012) profile, Serviio appears to be streaming the MKVs natively. Chapter skipping works but some of my 1080p MKV blu-ray rips cause the 5100 to lock up when streamed as MKVs from Serviio. Fast forwarding appears to work until you hit play to stop the fast foward, it then skips to the next movie. Audio is streamed as DTS in most of my MKVs. 480p MKVs riped from DVD using MakeMKV are reported as corrupt or unsupported formats. Not sure what's up with that.

It appears that as someone said earlier, the 5100 is very picky about MKVs and less so about M2TS. My preference would be to keep everything as MKVs as they are slightly smaller than M2TS files and I really like being able to skip chapters. But I will have to see if I can figure out why some MKVs cause the player to lock up while others don't. If I can't, then I will either remux the MKVs into M2TS using tsMuxerR and stream from Serviio although I will lose chapter skipping, or use Plex and remux on the fly, but then I lose the ability to skip and fast forward. Bummer.

- Jeff
post #552 of 3098 Old 05-08-2013, 06:21 AM

Liked: 13
jdaghir,

In your latest post, you mention "some" of your bluray rips. For your MKV's that give you problems. Were they encoded more recently?

IF the 5100 is playing the MKV's natively, then it sounds similar to something I ran into with my LG Bluray players streaming MKV files... I make my MKV's with BD-Rebuilder, when it got an update, I started having problems. It turns out a new version of MKVmerge was included which added a new option as default that wasn't compatible with my players. See the last section of -> https://trac.bunkus.org/wiki/FAQ%3AImprovingPlaybackCompatibilityWithPlayers ... in particular, the last paragraph fixed mine. I ran all my "broken" rips through MKVMerge GUI with those command line options added, and they work.

So before you spend the time trying to re-rip, try running though MKVMerge with those options.
post #553 of 3098 Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Does the 5100 netflix app allow for super HD? Also, is the amazon app any better than the one on the 790?

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #554 of 3098 Old 05-08-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Does the 5100 netflix app allow for super HD? Also, is the amazon app any better than the one on the 790?

You can get SuperHD and 3D streaming from the Netflix app.
gadgtfreek likes this.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #555 of 3098 Old 05-08-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post

jdaghir,

In your latest post, you mention "some" of your bluray rips. For your MKV's that give you problems. Were they encoded more recently?

IF the 5100 is playing the MKV's natively, then it sounds similar to something I ran into with my LG Bluray players streaming MKV files... I make my MKV's with BD-Rebuilder, when it got an update, I started having problems. It turns out a new version of MKVmerge was included which added a new option as default that wasn't compatible with my players. See the last section of -> https://trac.bunkus.org/wiki/FAQ%3AImprovingPlaybackCompatibilityWithPlayers ... in particular, the last paragraph fixed mine. I ran all my "broken" rips through MKVMerge GUI with those command line options added, and they work.

So before you spend the time trying to re-rip, try running though MKVMerge with those options.

All my rips were done in the last few weeks - I didn't build myself a media server until after I bought the s5100. I tried remuxing one of the problem MKVs with MKVMergue using the options from the page you linked to, but that didn't fix anything. It still froze at exactly the same spot. I'll try re-ripping the disk using the listed compatibility options and see how that goes.

Thanks!

- Jeff
post #556 of 3098 Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaghir View Post

Here's the results of further investigation:

The MKVs that locked up the 5100 when streamed via DNLA also locked up the player at the same scenes when played from a locally attached USB hard drive. Apparently there is something wrong with some of my blu-ray rips, although I'm not sure what. I created all my rips the same way using MakeMKV. Remuxing the MKV with MKVmerge did not solve the problem. Remuxing them into M2TS with tsMuxeR DID make them playable. I'm going to re-rip some of the blu-rays and see if the problem goes away.

Low video quality when streaming from Plex was resolved by changing the Local Video Quality from "Default" to "1080p @ 20mbps". This setting is located on the s5100 at Plex | Video | Preferences. I don't know why it was necessary for me to change this setting. Using the default Sony BDP profile supplied with Plex, it appears that Plex is remuxing the MKVs on the fly into M2TS streams. This allows the problematic MKVs to play, but at the expense of loss of chapter skipping. Attempting to skip chapters when streaming from Plex as M2TS causes the stream to skip to the next movie or restart the current movie from the beginning. Fast Forwarding/Rewinding either restarts the movie or locks up the player. Audio is streamed as Dolby Digital on most of my MKVs. 480p MKVs made by ripping a DVD using MakeMKV are playable in Plex, presumably becuase Plex is remuxing them into M2TS .

With Transcoding enabled and using the Sony BDP-Sx90 (2012) profile, Serviio appears to be streaming the MKVs natively. Chapter skipping works but some of my 1080p MKV blu-ray rips cause the 5100 to lock up when streamed as MKVs from Serviio. Fast forwarding appears to work until you hit play to stop the fast foward, it then skips to the next movie. Audio is streamed as DTS in most of my MKVs. 480p MKVs riped from DVD using MakeMKV are reported as corrupt or unsupported formats. Not sure what's up with that.

It appears that as someone said earlier, the 5100 is very picky about MKVs and less so about M2TS. My preference would be to keep everything as MKVs as they are slightly smaller than M2TS files and I really like being able to skip chapters. But I will have to see if I can figure out why some MKVs cause the player to lock up while others don't. If I can't, then I will either remux the MKVs into M2TS using tsMuxerR and stream from Serviio although I will lose chapter skipping, or use Plex and remux on the fly, but then I lose the ability to skip and fast forward. Bummer.

- Jeff

DVDs must be converted to M2TS. That's because sony BDPs can only play mpeg2 in a m2ts containers and not MKVs

After spending a couple of years with Sony BDPs to play local media I stick with m2ts containers. It's the most realiable and plays the 3 main codecs. FF and REW always works but chapter search does not.
post #557 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:

File support for DLNA:

Hey guys, i'm sorry to come off as a dummy or something, but I would really appreciate if I could get a straight answer on my situation.
I have been reading hundreds of posts, and all that did was confuse me more... There is a lot of conflicting info in this thread!

My situation...
I currently have 2 BDP-S590's in my home, both have 1TB HDD's on them with 100's of MKV, MP4 & AVI files, which ALL play flawlessly from the USB drives.
Yesterday I purchased a WD My Net N900 Central with a 2TB internal HDD. I was all excited to get both 590's on DLNA and 1 central HDD, but those dreams were shattered when I discovered that neither of my 590's would even SHOW the MKV files in the file menu!! The MP4's show in the file menu, but not a single one will play (corrupt or unplayable), all the AVI's all play fine.

Now, I am thinking of changing to the 5100's and this thread gives no absolution on whether that would resolve my problem, some posts say that the DLNA file compatibility is identical between the 590 and the 5100, while others show table images (above) that would suggest the 5100 WILL play MKV files via DLNA!

Will the new BDP-S5100 play my MKV files via DLNA or not???
post #558 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlyest View Post

some posts say that the DLNA file compatibility is identical between the 590 and the 5100, while others show table images (above) that would suggest the 5100 WILL play MKV files via DLNA!

Both of those statements are correct.
post #559 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlyest View Post

Yesterday I purchased a WD My Net N900 Central with a 2TB internal HDD.

That WD is not capable of running a DLNA server. You're probably sharing its HDD contents via Windows Media Player on a networked desktop, which lacks MKV support. Try installing appropriate codecs for WMP and see if that helps. Also, keep in mind that setting up Serviio on that desktop would probably be a lot easier and would give you more control.
post #560 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

That WD is not capable of running a DLNA server. You're probably sharing its HDD contents via Windows Media Player on a networked desktop, which lacks MKV support. Try installing appropriate codecs for WMP and see if that helps. Also, keep in mind that setting up Serviio on that desktop would probably be a lot easier and would give you more control.

The WD N900 is an integrated "standalone" wireless router and DLNA media server, and it serves files from the internal HDD to DLNA devices. It runs independently and does not rely on my PC.
Another thing to note is... I have 2 Toshiba smart TV's that will correctly display AND play all the MKV files from the WD unit, but the Toshiba media player GUI sucks and I want to use my 590's instead.
The 590's wont even show the MKV files that are on the WD unit!

PS. I also have a Logitech Revue (Google TV), it sees and plays all the mkv files too.
post #561 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Sony players typically don't play well with these types of DLNA server.

DLNA device/server compatibility/certification in general is a joke. Just because it says DLNA doesn't mean it will play.
post #562 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Sony players typically don't play well with these types of DLNA server.

DLNA device/server compatibility/certification in general is a joke. Just because it says DLNA doesn't mean it will play.

Well, that's extremely disappointing... and it makes no sense that the 590 will play 98% of what you put on a hard drive, but the same codecs and file handling are not used for DLNA files!
There are dozens of devices with built-in media players, and standalone players out there that handle all this stuff, but the almighty Sony can't produce something that works?!?

I went ahead and ordered a couple WD TV players from newegg, they should do the trick, but it'll be a surprise what kind of GUI it has, none of these media player manufacturers seem to know what a screenshot is!
post #563 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

To be fair, none of my TVs and multiple BD players can stream anything off the my router's DLNA server (NetGear). It is not about codec handling. Dealing with a video stream (which you can read back and forth like a file) is a lot tougher than dealing with a file. Even for the same player, there are major differences in capabilities playing off a DLNA server than being sent a file to play (Play To feature) as a render. Like I said, DLNA is a joke.

For Sony player, it is currently the only player I know of that can actually stream HD audio. No other DLNA players can do that.
post #564 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 PM

It just seems that these "players" should deal with a DLNA "file" like they deal with an HDD "file". In other words, why can't they deal with a network drive the same way as an attached drive!?
post #565 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

DLNA is not a networked drive. On disc file or network file, a player can read a few bytes here and there for decoding. On a DLNA streaming, it can only request sequential blocks of video data. It can't jump around.
post #566 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:

After spending a couple of years with Sony BDPs to play local media I stick with m2ts containers. It's the most realiable and plays the 3 main codecs. FF and REW always works but chapter search does not.

Okay, I don't want to continue to beat my head against the Sony BDP / MKV wall if others have already been down that road. I can learn to live without chapter skipping as long as seeking (FF / RW) works. I will bite the bullet and convert my MKVs to M2TS.

Any suggestions on recommended settings for tsMuxeR, keeping in mind that in the future I would like to also stream to an Xbox 360, Android tablets and possibly a HTPC running either Plex or XBMC? I don't have a problem with running both Serviio and Plex on my media server to do this if necessary.

Is MakeMKV and tsMuxeR the best practice for lossless ripping of Blu-ray and DVD disks to M2TS files or should I look at some other workflow? I purchased a license for AnyDVD HD but I believe it only makes ISOs of the complete disk and all I'm interested in ripping is the main movie - I don't want the menus or extra content.

Thanks!

- Jeff
post #567 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Any DVD HD will also rip to folder.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #568 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Any DVD HD will also rip to folder.

Is there an advantage or additional benefits to ripping to a folder versus ripping to a MKV/M2TS for DNLA streaming to a Sony BDP or other devices?

Thanks!

- Jeff
post #569 of 3098 Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, I don't want to continue to beat my head against the Sony BDP / MKV wall if others have already been down that road. I can learn to live without chapter skipping as long as seeking (FF / RW) works. I will bite the bullet and convert my MKVs to M2TS.

Any suggestions on recommended settings for tsMuxeR, keeping in mind that in the future I would like to also stream to an Xbox 360, Android tablets and possibly a HTPC running either Plex or XBMC? I don't have a problem with running both Serviio and Plex on my media server to do this if necessary.

Is MakeMKV and tsMuxeR the best practice for lossless ripping of Blu-ray and DVD disks to M2TS files or should I look at some other workflow? I purchased a license for AnyDVD HD but I believe it only makes ISOs of the complete disk and all I'm interested in ripping is the main movie - I don't want the menus or extra content.

Thanks!

- Jeff

You should be aware that make MKV and tsmuxer can't handle dolby true hd. Dolby digital is fine, as is DTS-Ma and DTS. Users have reported DVD fab works for dolby true hd when using m2ts.
post #570 of 3098 Old 05-10-2013, 05:27 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Is there an advantage or additional benefits to ripping to a folder versus ripping to a MKV/M2TS for DNLA streaming to a Sony BDP or other devices?

Thanks!

- Jeff
Ripping to Folder or ISO with AnyDVD HD doesn't make an MKV or a single M2TS file. Ripping to Folder just copies the file/folder structure from the bluray to your hard drive while removing the protections. You'd still need some other tool to convert to MKV or other file for DLNA streaming or the like.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
bx510 , dolby , m2ts , Sony , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , truehd
Gear in this thread - bx510 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page