Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 3037 Old 05-22-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 20,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

3D adds nothing to the movie story line but headache for me. The limited viewing angle and the weird looking glasses just not my cup of tea. ..........,

This is one of the reasons I like my active glasses over the passive ones. With my DLP set I can get ultra close to the TV or look at it from a wide angle and there are no issues with the 3D. Unlike with the Passive 3D set I also have. Without 3D I would not have purchased most of the BD titles I did this year. WHich the S5100 also does a great job with.
LFM2 likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 3037 Old 05-23-2013, 05:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark_Venture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Romansville (Thorndale), PA, USA
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I don't see any AVR's listed at Costco. I even typed in Pioneer SC-1522. Nothing. Unless they are not available on-line.
See -> http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464476/pioneer-sc-1522k-for-599-99-at-costco
Mark_Venture is offline  
post #633 of 3037 Old 05-23-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 9,737
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

This is one of the reasons I like my active glasses over the passive ones. With my DLP set I can get ultra close to the TV or look at it from a wide angle and there are no issues with the 3D. Unlike with the Passive 3D set I also have. Without 3D I would not have purchased most of the BD titles I did this year. WHich the S5100 also does a great job with.

I have a 3D plasma TV and active glass as well. It should have the best viewing angle than LCD/LED or DLP but hornestly, it's just OK. I certainly won't pay extra for 3D.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #634 of 3037 Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Member
 
codeihk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I want to buy a Blu-Ray player which has to have wifi connectivity, 3D capable and has to play SACD s. One of my friend suggested Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-Ray but i dont trust that noob :P So need your advice. If there is any at same price range that you can suggest over this one please share your ideas, all ideas will be appreciated.
codeihk is offline  
post #635 of 3037 Old 05-24-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeihk View Post

Hi Guys,

I want to buy a Blu-Ray player which has to have wifi connectivity, 3D capable and has to play SACD s. One of my friend suggested Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-Ray but i dont trust that noob :P So need your advice. If there is any at same price range that you can suggest over this one please share your ideas, all ideas will be appreciated.

The S5100 will be fine for your needs. SACD limits your choices at the $120 price barrier.
apw2607 is offline  
post #636 of 3037 Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Senior Member
 
edgeh2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fresno, Ca
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a Sony BX1 (Costco model of BDP-S350).

Besides 3D and Smart features, would there be any other reasons to upgrade to the 5100, such as differences in PQ?

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
edgeh2o is offline  
post #637 of 3037 Old 05-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
sawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

I have a Sony BX1 (Costco model of BDP-S350).

Besides 3D and Smart features, would there be any other reasons to upgrade to the 5100, such as differences in PQ?

I had a BX1 and recently bought an S5100 (actually BX510, the Sams version), and there are improvements to PQ visible in certain patterns on Spears and Munsil 2nd at least. (Sorry, I don't remember the details, and in practice, they're probably pretty minor.) The big reason to upgrade is the hugely faster speed of all disc operations, from the tray to loading content to chapter skipping and so forth. I basically stopped using my BX1 because it was so ridiculously slow at everything. It was painful to use it. The BX510 actually makes Bluray sort of viable. On the downside, the fanless BX510 is much noisier than the BX1 with both its drive and fan going, and it's a much more annoying noise, a high-pitched whine at just about all rotational speeds. The construction of the BX510 is cheap plastic junk compared to the metally BX1, and some units vibrate throughout the whole case. I went through four samples, two from Amazon and two from Sams, hoping to find a quiet one, but I had no luck. They were all about the same. Ditto for Samsung's cheap plastic junk equivalents like the F5900. The Samsung also enhances its video output, such that one needs to change it from its "Standard" Picture Mode to "Movie" to get output consistent with the Sony and other devices, and even then it's a little juiced. The one advantage the Samsung had was a usable subtitles feature. The stupid, stupid Sony can only cycle through subtitles making the feature useless as many discs have a dozen different subtitle languages, and you can't just turn the one language you need on and off. I can't believe Sony hasn't addressed this.

Keep your BX1 remote. The sawn-off S5100/BX510 remote doesn't come with Skip Forward/Back buttons, but the ones on the BX1 remote work. If you use that feature, you could just use the BX1 remote or teach it to a universal remote.
sawfish is offline  
post #638 of 3037 Old 05-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Senior Member
 
edgeh2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fresno, Ca
Posts: 446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

I had a BX1 and recently bought an S5100 (actually BX510, the Sams version), and there are improvements to PQ visible in certain patterns on Spears and Munsil 2nd at least. (Sorry, I don't remember the details, and in practice, they're probably pretty minor.) The big reason to upgrade is the hugely faster speed of all disc operations, from the tray to loading content to chapter skipping and so forth. I basically stopped using my BX1 because it was so ridiculously slow at everything. It was painful to use it. The BX510 actually makes Bluray sort of viable. On the downside, the fanless BX510 is much noisier than the BX1 with both its drive and fan going, and it's a much more annoying noise, a high-pitched whine at just about all rotational speeds. The construction of the BX510 is cheap plastic junk compared to the metally BX1, and some units vibrate throughout the whole case. I went through four samples, two from Amazon and two from Sams, hoping to find a quiet one, but I had no luck. They were all about the same. Ditto for Samsung's cheap plastic junk equivalents like the F5900. The Samsung also enhances its video output, such that one needs to change it from its "Standard" Picture Mode to "Movie" to get output consistent with the Sony and other devices, and even then it's a little juiced. The one advantage the Samsung had was a usable subtitles feature. The stupid, stupid Sony can only cycle through subtitles making the feature useless as many discs have a dozen different subtitle languages, and you can't just turn the one language you need on and off. I can't believe Sony hasn't addressed this.

Keep your BX1 remote. The sawn-off S5100/BX510 remote doesn't come with Skip Forward/Back buttons, but the ones on the BX1 remote work. If you use that feature, you could just use the BX1 remote or teach it to a universal remote.

That is crazy about the subtitles. Anyway thanks for addressing my question! I only wish I had gotten a BDP-S590 when they were super cheap and have great reviews. Hopefully the 5100 will be just as good in time.

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
edgeh2o is offline  
post #639 of 3037 Old 05-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Kisakuku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

I just noticed that SACD iso's burnt to DVD-R that played fine in S590 are not recognized by S5100. Can anybody verify this?

Re-checked the same DVD-Rs in S590, where they had worked before, and they are no longer recognized either. I guess this is some issue with the media, can't blame S5100 any longer.
Kisakuku is offline  
post #640 of 3037 Old 05-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Kisakuku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Got a BX510 and for some bizarre reason cannot perform a network update. Instead I get the "Connection status cannot be confirmed" error message. Every single other network service works fine: Pandora, Netflix, YouTube, DLNA, etc. The BDP is connected through a Powerline bridge, no WiFi. No errors in network diagnostics, IP is assigned through a DHCP reservation. My BX58 and BX59 were connected at the same location and never had this issue.
I guess I could just burn the firmware update CD, but that would be admitting defeat...

Even more bizarrely, this turned out to be an as-yet-unidentified router issue. Although placing S5100 in DMZ still results in "Connection status cannot be confirmed" error message, plugging the BDP directly into my IP-DSLAM modem allows it to perform a firmware update. I guess this is easier to do than burning firmware update discs.
Kisakuku is offline  
post #641 of 3037 Old 05-27-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,697
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I noticed today at Target when I looked at the back of the S5100 display unit they had that it didnt have a Digital port only Coaxial. I guess Sony has done away with that option on their 2013 Blu ray players? It seems everything is going HDMI only. I like the look of the player and might have to replace my S590 with it.
steve1971 is offline  
post #642 of 3037 Old 05-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
sawfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I noticed today at Target when I looked at the back of the S5100 display unit they had that it didnt have a Digital port only Coaxial. I guess Sony has done away with that option on their 2013 Blu ray players? It seems everything is going HDMI only. I like the look of the player and might have to replace my S590 with it.

Both coax and optical carry the same S/PDIF signal. This year, Sony lacks optical, while Samsung lacks coax on the comparable model. For someone who has to use one of these ports, and with TVs almost exclusively providing only optical out for use with AVRs, one could argue that Sony made the better choice. Those who find it the wrong choice can buy a converter, $10 or so at Monoprice.
sawfish is offline  
post #643 of 3037 Old 05-27-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 20,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Those old legacy connections will probably be history soon.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

aaronwt is offline  
post #644 of 3037 Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Kisakuku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Even more bizarrely, this turned out to be an as-yet-unidentified router issue. Although placing S5100 in DMZ still results in "Connection status cannot be confirmed" error message, plugging the BDP directly into my IP-DSLAM modem allows it to perform a firmware update. I guess this is easier to do than burning firmware update discs.

And as what I can only assume is an unintended side effect of the latest firmware, my S5100 no longer plays SRT subtitles embedded into MKVs either from USB or DLNA. If no subtitles are present, I still get the usual error popup, but if subtitles are embedded, no "on" or "off" overlay comes on and no subtitles are displayed. S590 plays the same MKVs with subtitles without any issues.
Kisakuku is offline  
post #645 of 3037 Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Newbie
 
Shawn Park's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering if this can be manually changed? Anyone that can provide assistance, it would be much appreciated.
Shawn Park is offline  
post #646 of 3037 Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 4,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Welcome to AVS. Mods ask that all posts go in the official player thread. Please reask there.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is online now  
post #647 of 3037 Old 05-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Kisakuku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

And as what I can only assume is an unintended side effect of the latest firmware, my S5100 no longer plays SRT subtitles embedded into MKVs either from USB or DLNA. If no subtitles are present, I still get the usual error popup, but if subtitles are embedded, no "on" or "off" overlay comes on and no subtitles are displayed. S590 plays the same MKVs with subtitles without any issues.

Double checked everything, can't figure it out. The only thing that's different is the firmware upgrade from M15.R.0095 to M15.R.0121. Could somebody who had flashed .121 please try playing an MKV with embedded SRT subs and report back?
Kisakuku is offline  
post #648 of 3037 Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Newbie
 
doctorSpoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't know if you figured this out yet, but the muxing of the BD audio with the other audio necessitates conversion to PCM so it needs to be turned off if you want to pass the DTS encoded audio

Settings > Audio Settings > BD Audio MIX Settings > OFF

Settings > Audio Settings > Digital Audio Output > Auto
doctorSpoc is offline  
post #649 of 3037 Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Kisakuku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorSpoc View Post

Don't know if you figured this out yet, but the muxing of the BD audio with the other audio necessitates conversion to PCM so it needs to be turned off if you want to pass the DTS encoded audio

Settings > Audio Settings > BD Audio MIX Settings > OFF

Settings > Audio Settings > Digital Audio Output > Auto

Not sure how this relates to my question, or did you mean to quote an earlier post?
Kisakuku is offline  
post #650 of 3037 Old 05-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Kisakuku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Double checked everything, can't figure it out. The only thing that's different is the firmware upgrade from M15.R.0095 to M15.R.0121. Could somebody who had flashed .121 please try playing an MKV with embedded SRT subs and report back?

Well, this certainly seems new:

Subtitle (.srt file format) is not supported by the Digital Living Network Alliance® server (DLNA) hence will not be displayed when streaming videos.

Still doesn't explain why SRT subs stopped working for MKVs on USB storage.
Kisakuku is offline  
post #651 of 3037 Old 05-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Newbie
 
Shawn Park's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seeking to see if anyone can assist with manually changing the DNS Settings on the Sony BDP-S3100 blu ray player?
Shawn Park is offline  
post #652 of 3037 Old 05-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Newbie
 
Shawn Park's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seeking to see if anyone can assist with manually changing the DNS Settings on the Sony BDP-S3100 blu ray player?
Shawn Park is offline  
post #653 of 3037 Old 05-30-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 9,737
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Go to network settings and select custom IP address. There you manually put in all the information (static IP address, gateway and DNS). Or if you have a capable router, simply setup the router to use custom DNS.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #654 of 3037 Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Member
 
abuhafsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering buying the s3100 as I'm not interested in 3D. Is the processor on the 3100 the same as the 5100? I've heard that the 3D models have a more powerful CPU which also results in better performance when viewing 2D material. Can someone please confirm this? If it is the case that the 5100 has a better CPU than the 3100, is it worth getting it just for that reason?

Also, do these players have a 'pass thru' i.e. raw bitstream for audio or is audio always coverted to PCM?
abuhafsa is offline  
post #655 of 3037 Old 05-31-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuhafsa View Post

I'm considering buying the s3100 as I'm not interested in 3D. Is the processor on the 3100 the same as the 5100? I've heard that the 3D models have a more powerful CPU which also results in better performance when viewing 2D material. Can someone please confirm this? If it is the case that the 5100 has a better CPU than the 3100, is it worth getting it just for that reason?

Also, do these players have a 'pass thru' i.e. raw bitstream for audio or is audio always coverted to PCM?

There both the same and you won't notice any performance difference. Both players can output bitstream subject to the receiver be able to decode it.
apw2607 is offline  
post #656 of 3037 Old 05-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Mark_Venture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Romansville (Thorndale), PA, USA
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Well, this certainly seems new:

Subtitle (.srt file format) is not supported by the Digital Living Network Alliance® server (DLNA) hence will not be displayed when streaming videos.

Still doesn't explain why SRT subs stopped working for MKVs on USB storage.
so what formats do subtitles need to be in for streaming via DLNA?
Mark_Venture is offline  
post #657 of 3037 Old 05-31-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 9,737
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Does anyone finding the YouTube app sign in very annoying? I need to re-sign in almost every day.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #658 of 3037 Old 05-31-2013, 08:36 PM
Member
 
abuhafsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. I picked up an open box 3100 for $85 at BB this afternoon. Watched Contact and Hunger Games on amazon instant and was impressed with the streaming video and audio quality. Tested both video and audio with the Disney Wow BD (hooked to a Denon 591 receiver). So far so good. The disc playback is a little noisy when starting up and skipping chapters but quieter during 'normal' playback than the LG BD570 I had previously.

I noticed the parental controls had something about 'scenes getting blocked or replaced'. Has someone tried this? What does it actually do and what do the levels mean?
abuhafsa is offline  
post #659 of 3037 Old 05-31-2013, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Does anyone finding the YouTube app sign in very annoying? I need to re-sign in almost every day.

I never have to re-sign in.
apw2607 is offline  
post #660 of 3037 Old 06-01-2013, 05:32 AM
Member
 
durhambird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was thinking of getting the BDPS5100, to replace my Pioneer BDP 140. I've got a couple of questions for those who have the unit. How does it perform as a cd player? Is there noise from the drive? Does it decode HDCD? Does it display cd or flac album art on the TV screen? Thanks
durhambird is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off