Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello again. Sorry to be re-posting, but I have a new wrinkle in my YouTube app conundrum on the S3100. After being unable to fix the problem (when streaming youtube videos from my tablet to the S3100 the player would freeze up and become unresponsive to inputs, including a hard re-set using the power button) I decided to simply exchange the player at the store for another in the hopes that I got a lemon. I set up the new player, downloaded the firmware update, and loaded up YouTube -- *STILL* doesn't work, but in a COMPLETELY different way than the original player.

Now, the app stammers to load the video, and once it begins playback, it will go about 15 seconds before hiccuping and skipping BACK 10 seconds and repeating what it already played. It does this on every video loaded, and regularly through the playback. This problem seems independent of its interaction with my tablet (I had the same problem when just using the player's YouTube interface directly).

I also noticed that when ejecting a movie disc the player will often freeze on a menu screen from the disc - even though it wasn't on the menu when ejected.

Is there possibly something wrong with my wifi network (running a new FiOS wireless router)? I've never had any problems with it other than sometimes noticing that my tablet downloads slower than you'd expect. It seems odd that two players would both have huge problems with the same app but in completely different ways. Or is the software/firmware on the S3100 really THAT glitchy? At this point I am getting fed up and will probably just return it for good and look into another player unless I can find a fix. Sony customer service has been, unsurprisingly, completely unresponsive to my numerous inquiries despite assurances that they will "get back to me within 6 hours".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywould View Post

In response to my two other comments above regarding the HD audio, I am aware that optical and or Coax does not have the BW to output True HD (or lossless audio) but HD audio is often referred to as DD5.1 as well. This is where I was confused for a minute, I guess the two people that jumped on my question were talking about the lossless HD... I guess Ill just have to "settle" with DD5.1 with my configuration.

You are the only one refer HD Audio as DD 5.1. Maybe back in VHS/Laser Disc days.

Typically, HD Audio refers to these new Audio formats introduced by HD DVD and BD:
Dolby Digital Plus (lossy)
Dolby TrueHD (lossless)
DTS-HD HR (lossy)
DTS-HD MA (lossless)
5.1 or 7.1 LPCM (lossless)

None of these can be passed through coax or optical.

Nothing personal. It seems to me you are a little bit immature with attitude. Pointing out your error does not mean attack you. And I found ppl who proclaim the phrase 'for a fact' typically doesn't know the fact at all.
post #723 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:

Funny, I just upgraded from a samsung as well, I got the 5100 becasue the samsung was having trouble with the WOW disk picel flipper (And wasnt 3D) I got the Panasonic 60ST60 a bit ago and am in the same boat as you.. Im done upgrading for a while (I hope) I could use a highend AVR but I have a very good Sony (as good as it can be) the STR DN1000, it got great reviews for sound when it came out and I can attest to that.. as long as you dont let it try to upscale and video its a great receiver.(For my needs)

Nice receiver. I have the sony str-dn1030 and really like it. I think Sony is making a bit of a comeback with avr's. I have had no trouble at all. Runs pretty cool and handles everthing I throw at it. Not xt32 or anything in the calibration but does a nice job.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #724 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante1138 View Post

Hello again. Sorry to be re-posting, but I have a new wrinkle in my YouTube app conundrum on the S3100. After being unable to fix the problem (when streaming youtube videos from my tablet to the S3100 the player would freeze up and become unresponsive to inputs, including a hard re-set using the power button) I decided to simply exchange the player at the store for another in the hopes that I got a lemon. I set up the new player, downloaded the firmware update, and loaded up YouTube -- *STILL* doesn't work, but in a COMPLETELY different way than the original player.

Now, the app stammers to load the video, and once it begins playback, it will go about 15 seconds before hiccuping and skipping BACK 10 seconds and repeating what it already played. It does this on every video loaded, and regularly through the playback. This problem seems independent of its interaction with my tablet (I had the same problem when just using the player's YouTube interface directly).

I also noticed that when ejecting a movie disc the player will often freeze on a menu screen from the disc - even though it wasn't on the menu when ejected.

Is there possibly something wrong with my wifi network (running a new FiOS wireless router)? I've never had any problems with it other than sometimes noticing that my tablet downloads slower than you'd expect. It seems odd that two players would both have huge problems with the same app but in completely different ways. Or is the software/firmware on the S3100 really THAT glitchy? At this point I am getting fed up and will probably just return it for good and look into another player unless I can find a fix. Sony customer service has been, unsurprisingly, completely unresponsive to my numerous inquiries despite assurances that they will "get back to me within 6 hours".

I'd say the firmware on these Sony player is not that stable. I encounter hard freeze all the time when streaming from PC (on both the 2012 S590 and 2013 S5100). When it freezes, press and hold power button for 10 seconds should force it to restart, I don't use tablet to control the player. So, I can't say if I encountered the same problem on YouTube.
post #725 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Good reading about cables and which formats they are capable of:

http://solidlystated.com/hardware/hd-audio-over-optical-cables-for-ps3-or-blu-ray/

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #726 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 07:50 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

You are the only one refer HD Audio as DD 5.1. Maybe back in VHS/Laser Disc days.

Typically, HD Audio refers to these new Audio formats introduced by HD DVD and BD:
Dolby Digital Plus (lossy)
Dolby TrueHD (lossless)
DTS-HD HR (lossy)
DTS-HD MA (lossless)

Nothing personal. It seems to me you are a little bit immature with attitude. Pointing out your error does not mean attack you. And I found ppl who proclaim the phrase 'for a fact' typically doesn't know the fact at all.

Lets start with this:
"If coax or optical can carry HD audio, there is no need for HDMI anymore. You have a lot to learn." This statement is by its nature not helpful in its tone, its writen to imply that the OP is wrong about something and this way of answering is not a correction as much as a (you are so wrong, you little man,.. read my sarcastic comments for enlightenment.)

you are too good for me, I’m not worthy of your wisdom.. I’m sorry you had to come off your throne to correct me..

Saying "nothing personal" and then being very personal does not change the tone, you might as well leave that out..you directly say im being a little bit immature, how is that not personal? (no need to answer, its rhetorical)

And I would like to add, that I said FACT in reference to MY setup and nothing at all regarding your statement. so yeah, I guess I am "immature" immature in that I allowed myself to get sucked in to a discussion with a rude know it all that likes to belittle others that are not sure of what is meant. but hey,, what are you gunna do.. There are all types of people on here.. I just happened to run across a person that likes to be right..
post #727 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

You should stop the attack and start reading the links slimoli posted above. Your contribution so far to this thread has been a few mis-guided 'facts' and bunch of personal attacks.
post #728 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:

You should stop the attack and start reading the links slimoli posted above. Your contribution so far to this thread has been a few mis-guided 'facts' and bunch of personal attacks.

Sure, and your comments are not? come on man, dont try to turn the tables.. Pot and kettle comes to mind..

CAn you help me find where I stated a fact that is misguided? seriously..

I asked a question and got my answer. until you stop "attacking me" I will continue to reply..(or until a Mod smacks me around a little)
post #729 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:

In response to my two other comments above regarding the HD audio, I am aware that optical and or Coax does not have the BW to output True HD (or lossless audio) but HD audio is often referred to as DD5.1 as well. This is where I was confused for a minute, I guess the two people that jumped on my question were talking about the lossless HD... I guess Ill just have to "settle" with DD5.1 with my configuration.

I have never heard HD audio referred to as DD 5.1 in the 23 years I've been using surround setups at home. That refers to Dolby Digital 5.1. Which is a legacy codec. What I started listening to back in the 90's over optical cables

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #730 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Netflix said they require 11 or 12mbps for the 3D streams. The example short has the bitrate in it. But it's not in 3D. If I am not using the unBlock US DNS IP addresses then I will not have SuperHD or 3D show up on the titles on my S5100's.

It's pretty much instant. I can change back to the FiOS DNS Ip addresses and start the Netflix app and there won't be anything listed with SuperHD or 3D. I can then exit out of Netflix, change the DNS IP to unBLock US and when I go back to Netflix the titles will show SuperHD and 3D. It's never needed time to load in my use.

I woke up today and turned it on, and all the titles with 3D and SuperHD showed up, even though many of them didn't show up yesterday. I did the trick where I backed out of Netflix 2-3 times, and finally Art of Flight played in 3D! It was awesome, but the audio track was off just a bit. Anyone notice this before?

So do you guys pay for Unblock-US?
post #731 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have been paying for UNblock US the last few months. Specifically to get access to Netflix 3D and SuperHD streams.

LED DLP

post #732 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:

I have never heard HD audio referred to as DD 5.1 in the 23 years I've been using surround setups at home. That refers to Dolby Digital 5.1. Which is a legacy codec. What I started listening to back in the 90's over optical cables

Okay thank you. I must have been adding the HD audio to include anything over stereo. I can see that the new formats are specifically called HD so that makes sence..
post #733 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:

I have been paying for UNblock US the last few months. Specifically to get access to Netflix 3D and SuperHD streams.

I have been reading a bit on UNblock US and was wondering if this bypassed the need for my ISP to have "open connect". I ask because I see many people using it and was unsure if that was the main reason.

EDIT: I know that its meant for people in other countries to be able to access their Netflix etc (and have a US DNS server for IP addresses). But since its being used by people IN the US to access Netflix, are they doing it in that case for that reason mainly?
post #734 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have been reading a bit on UNblock US and was wondering if this bypassed the need for my ISP to have "open connect". I ask because I see many people using it and was unsure if that was the main reason.

EDIT: I know that its meant for people in other countries to be able to access their Netflix etc (and have a US DNS server for IP addresses). But since its being used by people IN the US to access Netflix, are they doing it in that case for that reason mainly?

Honestly I have no idea how to change the region for Netflix with Unblock-US, or if it is even worth it. All I have used it for is simply to circumvent the need for Open Connect, and so far (aside from audio lag on 3D content), it seems to work.
post #735 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

Yes, that is the main reason. There are several free options for changing regions, so I can't see a good reason to pay for that other than a little more convenience. TOR works quite well and is free. I use it for BBC. But it can't give you Open Connect, hence the need for UNblock US or something similar.

Seems Open Connect is starting to catch on. My cable provider, Charter, added it a few days ago. I never expected them to do that, so it was a nice surprise.
post #736 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I'm sorry if I missed it in this thread, but is there a way to prevent the 5100 from turning off after 20 or 30 min (forget which it is) I try to run the WOW pixel flipper at night but it wont run for very long. I do understand that the WOW disk uses a java program (not a video) for the pixel flipper.

I have a version of a flipper that I found on the net but the resolution (dot pitch) is much much better on the WOW disk than anything I could find elsewhere.

I've posted this a couple of times in a couple of threads, but this time I linked to the clearly described software. If you can hook up a PC, this will give you a free Pixel Flipper equivalent that will run as long as you want it to.

The problem with the Disney Pixel Flipper is the players. The newer ones like to turn off after a period of inactivity, which includes playing that Java app. For example, the Sony S5100 shuts off after 30 minutes or so. If you can connect a PC, there is Jscreenfix, but the normal version likes to blink 0:00 after 20 minutes in the bottom right corner, and I see no way to disable that behavior. OTOH, the screensaver version doesn't do that, and it's free to boot. But can you believe it, neither one of them hides the mouse while running! Fortunately, that can be fixed in various ways. The simplest is to move the cursor to the bottom left corner, but that still leaves the tip visible. To actually hide it, I use Autohotkey. If you have that program, search its Help file for "SystemCursor". You will find some sample script that binds a mouse visibility toggle to Win+C. It works perfectly. So, after installing Jscreenfix screensaver version, adding the mouse toggler to my main Autohotkey startup script, setting the screensaver timer to 1 minute when I want flip pixels, and using Win+C to hide the mouse, I have a free Pixel Flipper equivalent I can leave running overnight. When I don't want to use it, I use Win+C again to show the mouse, and I turn the screensaver back off.
post #737 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

I've posted this a couple of times in a couple of threads, but this time I linked to the clearly described software. If you can hook up a PC, this will give you a free Pixel Flipper equivalent that will run as long as you want it to.

The problem with the Disney Pixel Flipper is the players. The newer ones like to turn off after a period of inactivity, which includes playing that Java app. For example, the Sony S5100 shuts off after 30 minutes or so. If you can connect a PC, there is Jscreenfix, but the normal version likes to blink 0:00 after 20 minutes in the bottom right corner, and I see no way to disable that behavior. OTOH, the screensaver version doesn't do that, and it's free to boot. But can you believe it, neither one of them hides the mouse while running! Fortunately, that can be fixed in various ways. The simplest is to move the cursor to the bottom left corner, but that still leaves the tip visible. To actually hide it, I use Autohotkey. If you have that program, search its Help file for "SystemCursor". You will find some sample script that binds a mouse visibility toggle to Win+C. It works perfectly. So, after installing Jscreenfix screensaver version, adding the mouse toggler to my main Autohotkey startup script, setting the screensaver timer to 1 minute when I want flip pixels, and using Win+C to hide the mouse, I have a free Pixel Flipper equivalent I can leave running overnight. When I don't want to use it, I use Win+C again to show the mouse, and I turn the screensaver back off.

Thank you Sawfish,

I have seen your posts on this, and you and I actually have talked about it as well.. I was mainly asking if there is a way to get the version on the WOW disk to work with this player so I dont have to go through the computer. I do have a version that plays with WMP and is ok but its resolution is about 20pixels per block or something (3 or 4mm square) The WOW version looks much finer and I thought it would be better than the version I have.

Oh, another reason I didnt try the screensaver version is that my computer wakes up from the screen saver every few minutes, I think its the PLEX media server pinging but I'm not sure, I havent looked into it but I didnt care enough to at this point.

If I didnt have this problem I would likely have already loaded the version you told me about.

its not a big deal. I really was only asking to see if it was something that somone else may have resolved.

EDIT: after loading the version you mention I see that the resolution was just as good.. I will look into fixing my computer so it doesnt wake up and run this. it is a good option.. Thanks again.
post #738 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Yes, that is the main reason. There are several free options for changing regions, so I can't see a good reason to pay for that other than a little more convenience. TOR works quite well and is free. I use it for BBC. But it can't give you Open Connect, hence the need for UNblock US or something similar.

Seems Open Connect is starting to catch on. My cable provider, Charter, added it a few days ago. I never expected them to do that, so it was a nice surprise.

I see, thanks.. it would be nice to have the super HD and 3D but not enough to pay for UNblock US (for me), really only a toy that I wont really care about.. something that is weird about my ISP, I do see Super HD on a lot of the movies when I use my Roku but not on the TV app, I know from talking to (And forums) that my ISP isnt connected to open connect yet. I have not seen any 3D content and I have looked.

I have used TOR for many years (for other reasons) but never thought about using it for something like this. (but as you point out TOR wont give me OC anyway.)
post #739 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

New firmware has been pushed out. Not sure what it does.
post #740 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 173
^thanks Fox for the heads up!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #741 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

New firmware has been pushed out. Not sure what it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Judging by the lack of responses there isn't much interest in this feature, but if you do care about subtitle support for MKVs, either don't upgrade firmware on your S5100 or stay with S590. I was able to swap my player for another BX510 with the old 0097 firmware and can confirm that embedded SRT subtitles started working again (both from USB and DLNA). Removal of this functionality in the latest firmware release is a really bizarre move from Sony.

Well, apparently Sony listened to me. The new 0136 firmware restores playback of embedded SRT subtitles in MKVs.
post #742 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm not seeing a new firmware here. I'm still on the 0121 firmware and it says I'm "already updated" when I check for a firmware update.

LED DLP

post #743 of 3069 Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:

I'm not seeing a new firmware here. I'm still on the 0121 firmware and it says I'm "already updated" when I check for a firmware update.

Must be rolled out in waves. One of my players is on 0136, the other is on 0121 and also says no update available.
post #744 of 3069 Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Must be rolled out in waves. One of my players is on 0136, the other is on 0121 and also says no update available.

Yeah, I got mine about a week ago.
post #745 of 3069 Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Yeah, I got mine about a week ago.

Are you sure you got M15.R.0136 a week ago? Sony E-support says release date is June 5, 2013.
post #746 of 3069 Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsingh View Post

Sometimes when I try to access my laptop videos on 5100, the laptop icon appears greyed out and if I click it, it says "the server is currently starting up.Please wait.Startup may take a few minutes", but it never starts up.. any suggestions..?
ANYONE..?
post #747 of 3069 Old 06-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsingh View Post

ANYONE..?

Not an issue with the Sony player. Install Serviio if you want a reliable DLNA server.
post #748 of 3069 Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Just bought the BX510 froms Sams Club to go with the UN65EH6000..Problem is I have an old pre-HDMI Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v2400_black__u/?mode=model. Will I have any issues running HDMI to tv and Dig Coax to receiver as far as lip sync or otherwise? Thinking of doing the same for my FIOS HD-DVR box (Coax or optical to receiver and HDMI to TV) Will the HDMI override the Coax/Optical and give me nothing to the receiver?
post #749 of 3069 Old 06-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS Dad View Post

Just bought the BX510 froms Sams Club to go with the UN65EH6000..Problem is I have an old pre-HDMI Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v2400_black__u/?mode=model. Will I have any issues running HDMI to tv and Dig Coax to receiver as far as lip sync or otherwise? Thinking of doing the same for my FIOS HD-DVR box (Coax or optical to receiver and HDMI to TV) Will the HDMI override the Coax/Optical and give me nothing to the receiver?

Lip Sync issues: You will have to try it and see.

HDMI knocking out S/PDIF: Nope.

For my Panasonic 50ST60 and Pioneer VSX-21TXH, the answer to both is "no problem". I split my PC as well as the BD player this way, and lip sync issues are very rare and IMO due to the content, not the splitting. I also had good luck with Sony LCDs.
AVS Dad likes this.
post #750 of 3069 Old 06-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Kind of off-topic, but is Netflix SuperHD supposed to be 1080p blu-ray quality? Wondering if people can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p? I can tell a huge difference between a 720p cable signal and a 1080p blu-ray disc, but I can't tell much difference between 720p Art of Flight on Netflix and 1080p SuperHD Art of Flight on Netflix, so I wonder why that is.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page