Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this is a silly question since I have already made the purchase I have a about my S5100 coming from Woot.

Will I be able to play non-app shows through this player? Specifically CBS.com. I know when it comes to my other devices, the only one that seems to be able to play any shows off of CBS.com is a regular laptop. If this player can do that it would make this puchase even better. If this player cannot do this, does anyone know of a player that can?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Do you guys know why the heck I can't put the Pixel Flipper and run it for more than 10 minutes before the 5100 shuts it off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

3D TV is dead. That being said, you typically don't pay much extra for a TV with 3D features then not (typically they are mid to high end TVs with features not available in low end 2D only TVs). So, pick which ever TV you like. You might just get 3D for free.

Maybe, but I'm so glad I have it! I think 3D at home is about 500% better than 3D in the theater.
post #1443 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndagolfer View Post

Will I be able to play non-app shows through this player? Specifically CBS.com. I know when it comes to my other devices, the only one that seems to be able to play any shows off of CBS.com is a regular laptop. If this player can do that it would make this puchase even better. If this player cannot do this, does anyone know of a player that can?

Nope. No CBS.com on any BD players to my knowledge. Not even Roku has it. I personally use iPad to access CBS.com.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1444 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuer View Post

I wonder if the player plays sacd-r? thank you very much.

S590 supported SACD-R initially, but lost this feature in some firmware update. S5100 definitely doesn't support it in the latest firmware and I don't think it ever did.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1445 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mproduz View Post

Can you please confirm those (before I exchange my DMP-BDT 230 with the S5100) :
1-MKVs are playable through DLNA and it support MKV subtitles and srt external files
2-the s5100 doesn't support Network Share Drive (please say it does)
3-it support idx/sub subtitles, .ssa? .ass? .sup?
4 and the most important: Via USB or DLNA, you ALWAYS can navigate through the lenght of the movie anytime you want ( you just can't do that on the BDT230!!! unbelievable...)

Thanks

1 - MKV playback with subtitles is supported only for subs remuxed into the container. External srt files aren't supported.
3 - I think I've checked .ssa and .ass support at some point and didn't encounter any issues.
4 - If by navigate you mean fast forward / rewind and chapter search, then it's a conditional yes. It has to be an MKV container (chapter skipping during M2TS playback wasn't supported last time I checked, but FF/REW was) and it can't have certain cue elements. (If it does, a simple remux with specific command line options will delete them and restore FF/REW support.)
marctronixx likes this.
post #1446 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reki1978 View Post

As another guy asked regarding newest firmware 0160.
Would anybody care to play an H.264 MKV with embedded or seperate subtitle after 0160 firmware update and let us know the result?

I thought I reported back after updating to 0160. Embedded subs work fine, separate subs were never supported.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1447 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I tested mkv with subtitle tracks in the file but not burnt in. It will not display them.

Not sure why you're having issues, but embedded subs that are not burnt in are supported. Could be some issue with authoring, a remux might clear that up.

Quote:

1. Yes but no subtitles unless it is burnt in.
2. No one supports network share drive anymore due to security concerns. DLNA server is all you need.
3. See #1.
4. Yes, if you have chapter point in the file.

1 and 3 - Incorrect, see above.

4. Last time I checked M2TS playback didn't support chapter breaks, has to be an MKV container.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1448 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 01:36 PM

Strangely enough, I had the DRC setting already on Auto. You mentioned there being a tv setting and the only thing I hadn't tried was volume equalizer. On my older Plasma, it literally made a world of difference. The volume went up dramatically. I only need set it to +4 and +3 would have been fine too.

So, I thought this was solved and went to the newer plasma (Panny s60 series) to do the same thing. However, the same setting had only minimal changes to the sound. Yes, it got louder, but not by a whole lot and the change wasn't nearly as dramatic as it was with the other, older Panasonic. It's like the newer Panny, despite great reviews, isn't as good as my 4 year old one. It's just bigger.

I just don't get it. I thought I had a breakthrough and now I'm exhausted because it didn't work the same on both units. It makes me wonder again if there is some setting that I'm missing, because I can't figure out why the very same setting had such very different results between 2 different Panasonics.

Sony makes their BD audio settings so difficult. I have 3 models and the setting screen is different for all 3. Ugh.

PS-This issue is the same when I stream. I understood that bds and dvds need this DRC setting, but why would streaming from Netflix or Vudu? Thx.
post #1449 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:

Can you please confirm those (before I exchange my DMP-BDT 230 with the S5100) :
1-MKVs are playable through DLNA and it support MKV subtitles and srt external files
2-the s5100 doesn't support Network Share Drive (please say it does)
3-it support idx/sub subtitles, .ssa? .ass? .sup?
4 and the most important: Via USB or DLNA, you ALWAYS can navigate through the lenght of the movie anytime you want ( you just can't do that on the BDT230!!! unbelievable...)

Thanks
2 - It does not. Sorry
marctronixx likes this.
post #1450 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM

Actually I meant through the browser and not through an app. Are there any BD players that have good enough browsers to go to CBS.com and play shows from their site?
post #1451 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndagolfer View Post

Actually I meant through the browser and not through an app. Are there any BD players that have good enough browsers to go to CBS.com and play shows from their site?

I don't think you're approaching this from the right direction. Have you tried Serviio with CBS.com plugin?
marctronixx likes this.
post #1452 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronicaMars View Post

Strangely enough, I had the DRC setting already on Auto. You mentioned there being a tv setting and the only thing I hadn't tried was volume equalizer. On my older Plasma, it literally made a world of difference. The volume went up dramatically. I only need set it to +4 and +3 would have been fine too.

So, I thought this was solved and went to the newer plasma (Panny s60 series) to do the same thing. However, the same setting had only minimal changes to the sound. Yes, it got louder, but not by a whole lot and the change wasn't nearly as dramatic as it was with the other, older Panasonic. It's like the newer Panny, despite great reviews, isn't as good as my 4 year old one. It's just bigger.

I just don't get it. I thought I had a breakthrough and now I'm exhausted because it didn't work the same on both units. It makes me wonder again if there is some setting that I'm missing, because I can't figure out why the very same setting had such very different results between 2 different Panasonics.

Sony makes their BD audio settings so difficult. I have 3 models and the setting screen is different for all 3. Ugh.

PS-This issue is the same when I stream. I understood that bds and dvds need this DRC setting, but why would streaming from Netflix or Vudu? Thx.

You should look at different sound options on the tv to compensate for the movies dynamic range. Most tvs have some options to deal with that. There's very little the player can do .... Hook up any player with the same film and it will sound the same
marctronixx likes this.
post #1453 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronicaMars View Post

Strangely enough, I had the DRC setting already on Auto.

Auto is not good enough. You need to set it to ON. So the dynamic range is always compressed.
Quote:

Compressed dynamic range = crappy sound.

Just because you don't have a decent surround setup doesn't mean everyone who streams Netflix or Vudu should listen to the same crappy compressed sound.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1454 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisakuku View Post

Not sure why you're having issues, but embedded subs that are not burnt in are supported. Could be some issue with authoring, a remux might clear that up.

I use the default subtitle from MakeMKV generated files and it doesn't work.
post #1455 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:

I use the default subtitle from MakeMKV generated files and it doesn't work.

I use MKVMerge and haven't had any issues with displaying muxed in subs on S590 and S5100 except for that one S5100 firmware version that broke MKV subtitle support. (AFAIR S580 still supported .srt files.)
marctronixx likes this.
post #1456 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:

1 - MKV playback with subtitles is supported only for subs remuxed into the container. External srt files aren't supported.
3 - I think I've checked .ssa and .ass support at some point and didn't encounter any issues.
4 - If by navigate you mean fast forward / rewind and chapter search, then it's a conditional yes. It has to be an MKV container (chapter skipping during M2TS playback wasn't supported last time I checked, but FF/REW was) and it can't have certain cue elements. (If it does, a simple remux with specific command line options will delete them and restore FF/REW support.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

2 - It does not. Sorry

Thanks for the infos
When I talk about navigating through the movie I think more like jumping forward to lets say 1hour of the film for example. Like in VLC when you click on the timebar to jump forward somewhere in the movie.
My Panasonic 230 can't handle that and I thought this kind of feature was more prevalent. Seems like I'm wrong.
Maybe I'll stick to the panasonic then.
post #1457 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use MKVMerge and haven't had any issues with displaying muxed in subs on S590 and S5100 except for that one S5100 firmware version that broke MKV subtitle support. (AFAIR S580 still supported .srt files.)

MakeMKV is a BD/DVD ripping tool that generates HMDV/PGS subtitles that works fine in VLC player but never worked on 5100. So, that's why I say subtitles not working. It may work with other formats of subtitle tracks in MKV but certainly doesn't work with mine.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1458 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the infos
When I talk about navigating through the movie I think more like jumping forward to lets say 1hour of the film for example. Like in VLC when you click on the timebar to jump forward somewhere in the movie.
My Panasonic 230 can't handle that and I thought this kind of feature was more prevalent. Seems like I'm wrong.
Maybe I'll stick to the panasonic then.

When you have mkv files with chapter points, it jumps from chapter to chapter without problem. You can also FF or REW.

The timebar UX only works on a PC where you can have a mouse to pick the spot. On a player with remote only, it doesn't make sense. Chapter points is the best in this case.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1459 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Auto is not good enough. You need to set it to ON. So the dynamic range is always compressed.
Compressed dynamic range = crappy sound.

Just because you don't have a decent surround setup doesn't mean everyone who streams Netflix or Vudu should listen to the same crappy compressed sound.

You totally lost me.

You want me to compress the sound, which is supposedly what cable already does, and then you call it crappy.

I just want to be able to hear sound at a normal volume. I didn't really think my kids needed a home theater in their bedrooms to watch a blu ray with turning the tv audio to 90.

The solution is to adjust the DRC to on, but then you call that crappy.

Also, my point was if BD need this DRC setting on because of how the discs are authored, then why would it still be low volume when I'm streaming from Netflix or Vudu?

Finally, it seemed like the tv's volume equalizer setting made the most difference BUT it really only worked well on one tv. That one sounds perfect now when playing blus and I don't care if my guests for a night or week decide to watch a movie and happen to think it's ****** sound because I don't install a home theater in every room. Still, while the volume equalizer worked amazingly on one Panny, it only changed things some on the other. I thought this problem was licked and now I've got one solved and can't figure out why the other one isn't giving me the same results.
post #1460 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Compressed sound maybe louder but it generally crappy. A good movie sound track typically have soft (quite) dialogs and explosive sound effects when needed. That's called dynamic range. That's how they played it in movie theaters. But when you only have crappy speakers of a TV, you really have no choice but compress it so that you can hear it properly. But a compressed sound track with everything on the same volume with no ups and downs are very boring and considered subpar and crappy.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1461 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:

MakeMKV is a BD/DVD ripping tool that generates HMDV/PGS subtitles that works fine in VLC player but never worked on 5100. So, that's why I say subtitles not working. It may work with other formats of subtitle tracks in MKV but certainly doesn't work with mine.

I didn't realize you were talking about graphics-based PGS subs in MKV. AFAIK, there are very few set-top boxes that support those (WDTV does, OPPO doesn't), so your test isn't very illuminating. You'd have to demux the PGS subs with mkvextract into a SUP file, put them through suprip, OCR them into a plain text SRT file, then remux them back in with mkvmerge in order to make this work. Another alternative is Subextractor.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1462 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Compressed sound maybe louder but it generally crappy. A good movie sound track typically have soft (quite) dialogs and explosive sound effects when needed. That's called dynamic range. That's how they played it in movie theaters. But when you only have crappy speakers of a TV, you really have no choice but compress it so that you can hear it properly. But a compressed sound track with everything on the same volume with no ups and downs are very boring and considered subpar and crappy.

Well, I've gone over this many times now and I see nothing different (I'm sure it does something, but you can't REALLY tell) with the DRC off or on. The volume equalizer setting on the plasma seems to be the thing that caused the most difference in the volume increasing when playing a blu-ray with only the tv speakers.

I've also tested more blus on the plasmas in the kid's room and the guest room and it seems to really vary quite a bit on the disc, which I also found odd. You've Got Mail was really low and it was the one I could turn up to 100 with almost no change. Then I tried The Fugitive, Midnight in Paris and Pitch Perfect and all were much louder and none of them could be turned up really high without making the sound way too loud and sound terribly distorted. Midnight in Paris actually seemed a tad lower than either Pitch Perfect and The Fugitive, but much better than You've Got Mail.

I guess how the disc was authored has something to do with it as well. I'm sure I'll find a work around and I'm willing to invest in a soundbar for my girl's room, but I'm not putting one in the guest bedroom that doesn't get THAT many guests. The only thing that still stumps me is just why You've Got Mail was so different than the other 4 blus I tried. You could jack that one up to 100 and it didn't seem loud at all. For a DTS-MA track, even a romantic comedy, it still seems odd that it was that low.
post #1463 of 3039 Old 09-11-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

The DRC works best with Dolby Audio tracks IIRC. Unfortunately, most BDs today are DTS-HD MA tracks and the accompany DTS core which may not work very well with the DRC features that rely on information on the track to predict the needed volume levels. Only the high end receivers come with the necessary dynamic volume control hardware and DSP to handle all kinds of different encoding. That certainly is not possible with the cheaper BD player and TVs.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1464 of 3039 Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Hi all:

looking to pick up a like new 3100 for $40 and one question:

will it down convert ALL DTS and Dolby multi channel formats to 2 channel PCM over the coax/optical?

I absolutely have to have this as my Denon will only send 2 channel PCM to my zones...one of them being my outdoor theater.

The manuals a bit unclear...down to PCM? Yes. Whether that's stereo or multichannel is my ?

thanks!
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #1465 of 3039 Old 09-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Hi all:

looking to pick up a like new 3100 for $40 and one question:

will it down convert ALL DTS and Dolby multi channel formats to 2 channel PCM over the coax/optical?

I absolutely have to have this as my Denon will only send 2 channel PCM to my zones...one of them being my outdoor theater.

The manuals a bit unclear...down to PCM? Yes. Whether that's stereo or multichannel is my ?

thanks!
James
That is a requirement of all players. So, yes. Multichannel PCM cannot be output over optical/coax.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #1466 of 3039 Old 09-12-2013, 10:55 AM

Liked: 21
For my setup, I have S5100 connected via HDMI straight to TV and then optical toslink sends sound to Zvox (speaker cabinet) under TV. I have no receiver and the Zvox only decodes Dolby Digital. So, would it benefit me to just send audio straight to Zvox via digital coax and only video signal to TV with HDMI thus eliminating the TV in the audio chain?
post #1467 of 3039 Old 09-12-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

For my setup, I have S5100 connected via HDMI straight to TV and then optical toslink sends sound to Zvox (speaker cabinet) under TV. I have no receiver and the Zvox only decodes Dolby Digital. So, would it benefit me to just send audio straight to Zvox via digital coax and only video signal to TV with HDMI thus eliminating the TV in the audio chain?

Majority of the TVs will only accept PCM 2.0 signal from HDMI. In some rare cases, some TV can accept DD 5.1 but no TV can accept DTS 5.1. So, the way you doing it today just means you will only get 2.0 digital audio from TV optical out. It is probably fine with your current setup if you only need 2.0 anyway.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1468 of 3039 Old 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Majority of the TVs will only accept PCM 2.0 signal from HDMI. In some rare cases, some TV can accept DD 5.1 but no TV can accept DTS 5.1. So, the way you doing it today just means you will only get 2.0 digital audio from TV optical out. It is probably fine with your current setup if you only need 2.0 anyway.

Here is a message confirming a recent Sony LCD (2010 model) passes both DD5.1 and DTS:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1389050/tvs-with-5-1-passthrough-from-hdmi-to-spdif/30#post_21598453

I certainly wouldn't count on this capability, though; it varies from TV to TV and is never documented AFAIK. For example, my older Sony (2008) would pass DD5.1, but it wouldn't do DTS, which foiled my plans to use it as the HDMI switch for my pre-HDMI AVR. Current Panasonic plasmas pass neither from HDMI inputs.
post #1469 of 3039 Old 09-12-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 288
redface.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

Here is a message confirming a recent Sony LCD (2010 model) passes both DD5.1 and DTS:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1389050/tvs-with-5-1-passthrough-from-hdmi-to-spdif/30#post_21598453

I certainly wouldn't count on this capability, though; it varies from TV to TV and is never documented AFAIK. For example, my older Sony (2008) would pass DD5.1, but it wouldn't do DTS, which foiled my plans to use it as the HDMI switch for my pre-HDMI AVR. Current Panasonic plasmas pass neither from HDMI inputs.
redface.gif actually, I have to retract part of that. Turns out I was mistaken. Mine won't pass DTS either, only DD5.1. I just edited that post. Sorry about that.
marctronixx likes this.
post #1470 of 3039 Old 09-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Noted, and thanks for the update.
marctronixx likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page