Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 64 - AVS Forum
First ... 62  63  64 65  66  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100
ZAZ210's Avatar ZAZ210 03:00 PM 11-29-2013
I just purchased a BDP-S3100 and wanted to be able to control it from my Onkyo receiver remote. I tried using the Sony Blu-Ray codes provided by Onkyo but they do not work. Has anyone had this issue and has a solution?

aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 03:12 PM 11-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Not that it matters, but I believe the player decodes TrueHD, but downmixes the output to stereo. Seems like a rather odd limitation for a modern BD player.

Only because they probably did not want to pay for the extra license to output in multi-channel from the TrueHD decoding.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 03:15 PM 11-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post

You are right, it does output to stereo and it does not matter. Need multi-channel. Serves me right. I did not read all posts on this thread. Seems you can't buy any piece of electronics these days without doing hours on research. I did some research before I bought, and read parts of this thread but missed this. Very frustrating given my last 3 Disney purchases. My Denon receiver seems to "overload" on the Disney DTS-MA tracks on Oz and Mermaid. So I got the player to decode those and it fixed that problem. Wanted the same kind of updated software for Dolby True. My latest Disney disc, Monsters Univ, has the dropouts and sync issues that have been reported. Not sure that would be true with the latest SW. I know the player did not have dropouts or sync issues when downmixing to 2 channels...but bitstreaming to my Denon it did. And by the way, I only have these types of problems with Disney BDs.

I am thinking of returning. Does someone have a recommendation for a player than will fully decode all formats? Paid $95...not looking to spend $500 on an Oppo player.

What kind of Denon are you using? I use an old Denon 3808 with one of my 5100 players and it has no issues bitstreaming the audio. Although I am only using the 3808 for audio decoding since it can't handle 3D I have to bypass it. I have my DVDO DUO send the audio over HDMi to the Denon and the DUO with another HDMI output also sends the video to my Darblet which then goes to my DLP set.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 03:18 PM 11-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post

Can anyone with a Denon 1911 and a 2013 Sony bdp player confirm whether the Denon can handle the new Disney discs' new TrueHD compression?

I know my old 2007 Denon 3808 has no problem with TrueHD from the new Disney Discs. What is different about the TrueHD compression?
dave1216's Avatar dave1216 07:23 PM 11-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What kind of Denon are you using? I use an old Denon 3808 with one of my 5100 players and it has no issues bitstreaming the audio. Although I am only using the 3808 for audio decoding since it can't handle 3D I have to bypass it. I have my DVDO DUO send the audio over HDMi to the Denon and the DUO with another HDMI output also sends the video to my Darblet which then goes to my DLP set.

I have a Denon AVR-2809CI for my receiver. It had troubles processing the new Oz movie and LIttle Mermaid in DTS-MA (sync was getting off) and had troubles with Monsters Univ in Dolby True HD. So I got the 5100 to do the processing job and just provide PCM to the receiver. But since the 5100 will only pass 2 channels when doing the decoding of Dolby True HD, I decided to buy the BDP-S790 today. Bad news is a $100 more. But it internally decodes Dolby True HD to 5.1 channels. Not 7.1 but I will only need it when my Denon has trouble processing bitsteam...and then I can revert back to the 790 doing the decoding in multichannel...at least that is better than 2.0 PCM.
osu fan's Avatar osu fan 09:00 AM 11-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I know my old 2007 Denon 3808 has no problem with TrueHD from the new Disney Discs. What is different about the TrueHD compression?

My 3808 does. I had audio dropouts with Finding Nemo, Brave, and I assume I will with Monsters University. I use a Sony BDP-S470 player.
Foxbat121's Avatar Foxbat121 09:58 AM 11-30-2013
There are quite a few discs that have this problem. My old Pioneer Elite 92 AVR had the same audio drop out problem. But the new Pioneer 1522 doesn't. I suspect only the AVRs released in last two years can handle this TrueHD issue.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 12:29 PM 11-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

There are quite a few discs that have this problem. My old Pioneer Elite 92 AVR had the same audio drop out problem. But the new Pioneer 1522 doesn't. I suspect only the AVRs released in last two years can handle this TrueHD issue.
I have not run across any issues with my old Demon 3808. The only difference might be because I only send audio through my 3808, no video. I just know there have been zero HD audio issues with any new titles and I've watched all of the newer Disney titles using my S5100 without any issues.
Foxbat121's Avatar Foxbat121 01:51 PM 11-30-2013
I doubt that was the difference . It is only with select few titles. Obviously, the other poster did have this problem with his 3808.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
KC-Technerd's Avatar KC-Technerd 01:35 AM 12-01-2013
I'm using a coaxial digital audio connection to a pre-HDMI AVR from the BDP-S5100. The audio is significantly ahead of the video. The A/V SYNC setting seems to only effect the HDMI audio leaving it impossible to sync the audio from the coaxial. Any ideas?
andyross63's Avatar andyross63 09:22 AM 12-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

I'm using a coaxial digital audio connection to a pre-HDMI AVR from the BDP-S5100. The audio is significantly ahead of the video. The A/V SYNC setting seems to only effect the HDMI audio leaving it impossible to sync the audio from the coaxial. Any ideas?
Does the receiver have any form of audio sync option? If not, there is probably nothing you can do.
InterTubes's Avatar InterTubes 10:43 AM 12-01-2013

Japan, Taiwan, and pretty much the entire Western Hemisphere uses 110V, except Argentina and a few other parts of South America.

It's not just a USA thing.

dchiass's Avatar dchiass 12:46 PM 12-01-2013

I just purchased this from my older, tech challenged brother as a christmas present so I thought I would test it out to see what files work & which don't.

He also does 99.99% of this watching off a USB stick.

Here are a few if the files I tested

1.AVI / MP4 & MKV all work fine

2.subtitle formats.  these are files on the USB flash:

SRT work fine

SUB / IDX do not show

I hope that helps.

dewayne

jdaghir's Avatar jdaghir 07:05 PM 12-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achee View Post

Any movie (.mkv) hangs when playing with DTS-HD MA, and at the same scene everytime.

The BDP-Sx100 series seems to not like DTS-MA in MKV files. There are two options that I'm aware of.

1. Remux the MKVs into M2TS files using tsMuxeR. The M2TS should be playable with DTS-MA but you will lose chapter skipping. Fast forward/seeking should still work however.

2. Extract the core DTS (non HD) audio using eac3to and then remux it back into a new MKV while leaving out the original DTS-MA track using MKVmerge. The resultant MKV should be playable and you will retain chapter skipping, but you will only have the core DTS audio track, not the DTS-MA track.

Here are my original posts about this issue:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100/1680#post_23878338

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100/540#post_23291116

Hope that helps.

-
Jeff
IONIZED's Avatar IONIZED 09:02 PM 12-01-2013
I just got a 40" sony TV and BDPs 5100 from costco. I am trying to use this combo as a smart tv. How do i use the webbrowser functionality? I was looking to buy the samsung smart TV but the Sony salesman at costco mentioned that i could get this combo and use it as a smart tv. What would you guys recommend? I dont have a use for a blu ray player, but please let me know which one would be better for a smart tv? (like i could go to google and serach for some old movies etc and watch?? Please advise.
KC-Technerd's Avatar KC-Technerd 09:09 PM 12-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Does the receiver have any form of audio sync option? If not, there is probably nothing you can do.

Thanks. No it does not. It is a Sony STR-DB930 which was built well before HDMI and does not have any audio delay options. I found the work-around of using the digital out from the TV which is controllable by the A/V sync since it is sourced from the HDMI input from the S5100. Since the AVR is only being used with 2 speakers this seems to be an entirely adequate work around. It would still be nice for the 5100 to have the ability to apply it's A/V sync audio delay to the co-axial output as well as HDMI.
KC-Technerd's Avatar KC-Technerd 09:21 PM 12-01-2013
In calibrating a Vizio M501d-A2R television with the BDP-S5100, I found that switching between YCbCr output and RGB output seems to alter the amount of green output. Red and blue output remained identical. The seems to vary a bit from the measurements taken by Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity in their review, which show slight errors in R, G, and B. Has anyone else experimented with this?
tyro13's Avatar tyro13 09:39 PM 12-01-2013

Hi All,

Need some inputs from expert here...I just ordered a new Samsung F7100 and will be receiving it tomorrow.

Next thing I am planning is to buy 3D movie source for it..I see there is a deal for Sony BDP 5100 for approx. $80 going on right now. Is this a good option or shall I better be looking to invest in PS4 and use that as gaming as well as 3D movie source in the long run?

Is there any other 3D source available? I see Netflix is not streaming 3D content for Samsung yet.

Thanks

Alpine725's Avatar Alpine725 08:01 AM 12-02-2013
Goo day all...
I recently "upgraded" from a BDP-S185 to a BDP-S3100. So far I think I like the change, however, when playing video files from a USB jump drive, the 185 played the perfectly with no problems or extra setting changes out of the box. On the 3100, however, when I try to play mp4 files, the audio cuts out every few seconds and the video playback freezes.

Anyone out there have any suggestions on how I can "fix" the 3100?

When I first fired it up, it wouldn't let me setup a network connection without performing a firmware update - so I did. Now, when I check for updates, it says there aren't any.

Thanks in advance...
JT
gnk1's Avatar gnk1 08:47 AM 12-02-2013
Just got a BPDBX510 from Sam's Club yesterday (a 5100 with an HDMI cable, I think), to replace a PS3 that was starting to have trouble ejecting disks and whose fan has gotten very loud. It is not long for this world, so I demoted it to the basement setup.

So, I pretty much read or scanned this entire thread and saw some mentions of problems streaming Amazon Instant video, but not much in the last couple of weeks. I have Comcast with a connection in the 20-50 Mbps range, and the 510 player is wired to the router. Steaming an Amazon HD video starts out fine, briefly showing speeds starting at like 20 Mbps, then reducing to ~ 2.0 - 2.5 Mbps, then around 1.5 Mbps or lower. The app then goes into "loading" for 30-60 seconds or so, plays fine for a minute or two, then "loading" again.

I didn't see any settings that looked like they would make a difference on the 510 menu, but I am not an expert by any means. Are there settings I should try on the router to prioritize/QOS this stream? Or does this app just suck in general on this device? I didn't use it much on the PS3 but we didn't have this problem, and HD also works fine on my Vaio i3 laptop.

I appreciate any help.
BIslander's Avatar BIslander 08:57 AM 12-02-2013
Amazon video works fine on my 5100 using Comcast and a WiFi connection. It takes about :30 to get started, but runs smoothly after that. I didn't need to make any adjustments on the player or router.
gnk1's Avatar gnk1 09:40 AM 12-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Amazon video works fine on my 5100 using Comcast and a WiFi connection. It takes about :30 to get started, but runs smoothly after that. I didn't need to make any adjustments on the player or router.

Thanks for the fast reply!

On my laptop, the progress bar shows a certain amount of how the content has been downloaded ahead of where I am playing it. Does the Sony do the same? I cannot tell since, if it is supposed to be "getting ahead," it isn't.
sojodave's Avatar sojodave 09:59 AM 12-02-2013
On Thanksgiving day, my Samsung C5500 kept skipping and making the dialog out of sync with the lips. My Sammy took forever to loud, unload the disk, and even skip to the next chapter.

I went to BB on their Black Friday and they had the S5100 on sale. I cashed in my BB credit, threw in a gift card, and only paid $20. I got it hooked up, pushed the tray button and bam, it popped out like it's supposed to. My Sammy took over 60 seconds for it to pop out. I threw in Oblivion and to my eyes, it looked even better than my Sammy. Netflix was better than my PS3. SACD sounded better than my Oppo for some strange reason.

The question I have is why does it look better and sound better than my Sammy?
Foxbat121's Avatar Foxbat121 11:06 AM 12-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnk1 View Post

Thanks for the fast reply!

On my laptop, the progress bar shows a certain amount of how the content has been downloaded ahead of where I am playing it. Does the Sony do the same? I cannot tell since, if it is supposed to be "getting ahead," it isn't.

A cheap player like the Sony here have very limited hardware resource for caching streaming video (either flash storage or RAM) compared to a PC ($100 player vs $500 PC). So if your internet connection isn't up to task (clearly not), you will not get enough buffer to play the video smoothly. Netflix dealt with this issue by switch you to lower quality stream on the fly. It sounds like Amazon doesn't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

On Thanksgiving day, my Samsung C5500 kept skipping and making the dialog out of sync with the lips. My Sammy took forever to loud, unload the disk, and even skip to the next chapter.

I went to BB on their Black Friday and they had the S5100 on sale. I cashed in my BB credit, threw in a gift card, and only paid $20. I got it hooked up, pushed the tray button and bam, it popped out like it's supposed to. My Sammy took over 60 seconds for it to pop out. I threw in Oblivion and to my eyes, it looked even better than my Sammy. Netflix was better than my PS3. SACD sounded better than my Oppo for some strange reason.

The question I have is why does it look better and sound better than my Sammy?

They should sound and look the exact same.
Achee's Avatar Achee 11:26 AM 12-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaghir View Post

The BDP-Sx100 series seems to not like DTS-MA in MKV files. There are two options that I'm aware of.

1. Remux the MKVs into M2TS files using tsMuxeR. The M2TS should be playable with DTS-MA but you will lose chapter skipping. Fast forward/seeking should still work however.

Thanks Jeff, the first option did the trick. I did lose chapters but fast forward/seeking is enough :)

I'm as well unable to determine the difference between DTS and DTS-HD MA except for the big size of file.

Anyways, really thanks man (Y)

Achee

guitardavept's Avatar guitardavept 11:58 AM 12-02-2013
Hi everyone,

I've got the Sony BDP-S1100 connected up to my Sony STR DH-540 via HDMI, and for the life of me I can't get it to output 5.1 sound. The amp is showing everything as LPCM 2.0. I have the blu ray audio output set to auto and bd audio mix set to off. Any idea's? Apologies if this has been answered before.
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 12:05 PM 12-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardavept View Post

Hi everyone,

I've got the Sony BDP-S1100 connected up to my Sony STR DH-540 via HDMI, and for the life of me I can't get it to output 5.1 sound. The amp is showing everything as LPCM 2.0. I have the blu ray audio output set to auto and bd audio mix set to off. Any idea's? Apologies if this has been answered before.
Have you disabled the TV's speaker output? If the player is seeing the TV's stereo EDID, that might explain the limitation.
guitardavept's Avatar guitardavept 12:21 PM 12-02-2013
I have the sound turned down on it - I didn't know you could completely disable it. I'll have a look through the menu's and see if I can find how to do it.
BIslander's Avatar BIslander 12:31 PM 12-02-2013
Many receivers have an HDMI audio output setting that can disable the audio feed to the TV. That's the usual solution for situations where the HDMI audio handshake forces a stereo output, overriding the player bitstream setting. It's a setting on the AVR, not the player.
guitardavept's Avatar guitardavept 12:36 PM 12-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Have you disabled the TV's speaker output? If the player is seeing the TV's stereo EDID, that might explain the limitation.

You, Sir, are a genius! I never would have even thought of looking at the tv menu's, but I found the relevant setting, changed it, and the amp now proudly displays "DTS-HD HR" :-)

Thank you :-)
Tags: bx510 , dolby , m2ts , Sony , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , truehd
First ... 62  63  64 65  66  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop