Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 73 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2161 of 3037 Old 12-31-2013, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

I have a 5100. It worked for the first 2 days, but now I can't get a picture out of it. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, get the blu ray splash screen then nothing.. i've tried holding the stop button for 10 seconds after plugging got nothing, held while powering on & got nothing. I just get "Home" on the front of the bluray player.

This thing bricked?

still nothing. I get the sony bluray splashscreen when I plug it in but nothing else. Strange this is that also my Denon 4520 receiver HDMI out is also not working. wondering if the HDMI's got fried somehow. I was trying to get a redmere cable to work but alas gave up on that and put in a balun.

Either way, I guess the sony is bricked. maybe this is a sign to get the oppo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 3037 Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Try setting to a specific supported resolution instead of auto. And connect direct to the TV to rule out the Denon.
marctronixx likes this.
post #2163 of 3037 Old 01-01-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Sorry if this is the wrong site, but I bought a Sony BDP-BX510, which is the Costco version? Anywho, boy this player is slow to load Netflix and Youtube! Or is there a setting not set right? It's replacing a Sony 590.

Jeff
post #2164 of 3037 Old 01-01-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^
Should load faster than a 590. Are you wired or wireless?
marctronixx likes this.
post #2165 of 3037 Old 01-01-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 576
If the wireless Network is setup properly it will be zero difference between the wired and wireless connection. All the streaming services use very low bandwidth.
marctronixx likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #2166 of 3037 Old 01-01-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I disagree. Even if wireless is set up properly, a poor signal can have a huge impact on performance. In a remote room of my house I get about 10% signal strength, and streaming is absolutely terrible. So I use a wired connection in that case. There are limits to wireless, which is why I asked.
post #2167 of 3037 Old 01-01-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I disagree. Even if wireless is set up properly, a poor signal can have a huge impact on performance. In a remote room of my house I get about 10% signal strength, and streaming is absolutely terrible. So I use a wired connection in that case. There are limits to wireless, which is why I asked.

Which means your wireless is not setup properly. A properly setup wireless network needs multiple APs for proper coverage so there are no signal strength issues, no interference issues, and no congestion issues. Unfortunately, most residential WiFi networks are not setup properly.

I live in a single level condo. I use several APs to get the proper coverage. Since it's setup properly my WifI network is rock solid. My signal strength for devices is typically 90% to 100%.

Most residential homes only have one AP when they should have four or more APs to have a hope of getting the proper coverage. But, again, they are typically not setup properly. Which is why so many people have wireless issues.

I know at work, if we setup our wireless networks for our clients the way most people do for their homes, we would not be in business very long.
marctronixx likes this.

LED DLP

post #2168 of 3037 Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

It is wireless. The router is just behind my setup with a standard wall (2x4 + sheetrock) between them. The signal strength is the same as the 590 I replaced. And it is a single family residence.

Jeff
post #2169 of 3037 Old 01-02-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Which means your wireless is not setup properly. A properly setup wireless network needs multiple APs for proper coverage so there are no signal strength issues, no interference issues, and no congestion issues. Unfortunately, most residential WiFi networks are not setup properly.

I live in a single level condo. I use several APs to get the proper coverage. Since it's setup properly my WifI network is rock solid. My signal strength for devices is typically 90% to 100%.

Most residential homes only have one AP when they should have four or more APs to have a hope of getting the proper coverage. But, again, they are typically not setup properly. Which is why so many people have wireless issues.

I know at work, if we setup our wireless networks for our clients the way most people do for their homes, we would not be in business very long.
I disagree with this as well. A proper wireless setup works the way you want it to work. 100% coverage in my house would cost a fortune, plus I don't even want 100% coverage. I don't live in a hotel, and the people who live in my house aren't paying rent. So wireless works fine where I need it, and doesn't work where I don't. I'm not buying half a dozen APs so somebody can stream Netflix in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

It is wireless. The router is just behind my setup with a standard wall (2x4 + sheetrock) between them. The signal strength is the same as the 590 I replaced. And it is a single family residence.

Jeff
Obviously, your wifi isn't set up properly. But seriously, the 5100 should work better than the 590. Something is wrong, but I don't know what. Can you test a wired connection to at least rule out a wifi problem?
post #2170 of 3037 Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

We did everything like the 590. But I will recheck the setup again. Thanks for the replies!

Jeff
post #2171 of 3037 Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 PM

Liked: 10
I was thinking on getting an S3100. I currently have an S580 and my 4 yr old somehow broke the disc tray (tray wont stay closed most of the time). The S580 has the old Netflix interface which drives my wife crazy. She wants the Netflix UI to be like my PS3 in our living room. Can anyone let me know if the Netflix UI has been updated yet? Also, is the Netflix UI on the S3100 currently like the S580 or is somewhere in between the S580 and the PS3?

Thanks!
post #2172 of 3037 Old 01-03-2014, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

still nothing. I get the sony bluray splashscreen when I plug it in but nothing else. Strange this is that also my Denon 4520 receiver HDMI out is also not working. wondering if the HDMI's got fried somehow. I was trying to get a redmere cable to work but alas gave up on that and put in a balun.

Either way, I guess the sony is bricked. maybe this is a sign to get the oppo?

Quote:

Try setting to a specific supported resolution instead of auto. And connect direct to the TV to rule out the Denon.

I hooked it up directly to two other tv's, I just get the splash screen then no picture. I can't change the resolution since I can't get the player to show anything thus enter the menu to change the resolution..

I'm sending it back to amazon (bought 2 weeks ago)

Is the Costco Sony BDPBX510 the same as the 5100? If so, I might just get that since I then at least have a longer warranty if it happens again.
post #2173 of 3037 Old 01-03-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
The Costco Sony BDPBX510 is the 5100 plus an HDMI cable.
marctronixx likes this.

Selden
post #2174 of 3037 Old 01-03-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hooked it up directly to two other tv's, I just get the splash screen then no picture. I can't change the resolution since I can't get the player to show anything thus enter the menu to change the resolution..

I'm sending it back to amazon (bought 2 weeks ago)

Is the Costco Sony BDPBX510 the same as the 5100? If so, I might just get that since I then at least have a longer warranty if it happens again.
Before you give up, you can try setting it to the lowest resolution by holding the stop button (the square one on the player itself) for 10 seconds.
post #2175 of 3037 Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonzo Roman View Post

Just got a BDP-S5100.

I have a PS3 and M4V movies play flawlessly on it. Wanted another DLNA box for a different room and liked that for about same cost there is a blu ray player included instead of picking up an Apple TV or Roku, and the user interface, while not perfect, is the same as PS3 so no need to learn something new.

Problem is, M4V files do not play on the S5100 as far as I can see. I am not going to re-encode all my movies to make this work... easier to get a Roku and return this thing although there goes the blu ray.

Anybody know if I have this wrong? Even if I just change the container of the video files I suspect I would lose the ability to play on iPhones and iPads, but gain use on the S5100. Not worth the trade.

I am serving the videos from a Synology NAS running latest firmware but Plex is not available for this model... its too old.

Does it play the .mkv files through the USB input? If you're trying to stream from another computer using Windows Media Player library, WMP won't stream .mkv files. Google "Serviio" and use that instead. Its a great DLNA server and will stream most everything, including .mkv files. Sony themselves even recommend it as an alternative to WMP. It's very easy to set up too.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

post #2176 of 3037 Old 01-03-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storey13 View Post

I was thinking on getting an S3100. I currently have an S580 and my 4 yr old somehow broke the disc tray (tray wont stay closed most of the time). The S580 has the old Netflix interface which drives my wife crazy. She wants the Netflix UI to be like my PS3 in our living room. Can anyone let me know if the Netflix UI has been updated yet? Also, is the Netflix UI on the S3100 currently like the S580 or is somewhere in between the S580 and the PS3?

Thanks!
I haven't seen a PS3 lately, but they were identical a few months ago. It's certainly a lot better than 580.
post #2177 of 3037 Old 01-03-2014, 01:30 PM

I intend to use the BDP-S5100 as a music player only--no screen. I hooked up a monitor to set up the network and to set up TV SideView on an iPhone. That worked, but the only way to play Pandora is to navigate with the remote (or with the iPhone as a remote) using the monitor. Isn't there a way to play music directly using the iPhone? I need a method that doesn't require navigating a tv screen.

The product literature says you can '"Throw" your videos, pictures and music from your mobile device to your TV '. Am I interpreting this incorrectly? Can I somehow play music or pandora on an iphone and have it play on the sony?

I could always buy a airport express or bridge or something to hook to my Denon X1000 but thought I wouldn't have to since the BDP S5100 had wifi.

post #2178 of 3037 Old 01-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams2k View Post

I intend to use the BDP-S5100 as a music player only--no screen. I hooked up a monitor to set up the network and to set up TV SideView on an iPhone. That worked, but the only way to play Pandora is to navigate with the remote (or with the iPhone as a remote) using the monitor. Isn't there a way to play music directly using the iPhone? I need a method that doesn't require navigating a tv screen.

The product literature says you can '"Throw" your videos, pictures and music from your mobile device to your TV '. Am I interpreting this incorrectly? Can I somehow play music or pandora on an iphone and have it play on the sony?

I could always buy a airport express or bridge or something to hook to my Denon X1000 but thought I wouldn't have to since the BDP S5100 had wifi.

Wait, your X1000 has AirPlay, right? It should be all you need.
post #2179 of 3037 Old 01-03-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I intend to use the BDP-S5100 as a music player only--no screen. I hooked up a monitor to set up the network and to set up TV SideView on an iPhone. That worked, but the only way to play Pandora is to navigate with the remote (or with the iPhone as a remote) using the monitor. Isn't there a way to play music directly using the iPhone?
You can do this with some iPhone apps. The only ones I've tried are Netflix and Youtube. I haven't tried Pandora. There's a little triangle symbol you press to send it to your player.
post #2180 of 3037 Old 01-03-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post

Wait, your X1000 has AirPlay, right? It should be all you need.

I think that only works if you connect it via ethernet cable or bridge

post #2181 of 3037 Old 01-03-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:

You can do this with some iPhone apps. The only ones I've tried are Netflix and Youtube. I haven't tried Pandora. There's a little triangle symbol you press to send it to your player.

Interesting, I just opened NetFlix and a new icon appeared that allows me to do that, but I don't see anything like that in Pandora/iTunes, etc. Maybe there's a third party app I can find..

post #2182 of 3037 Old 01-03-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

So I rechecked everything, rescanned the router, checked the connection which was OK according to my screen and the signal strength was bouncing back and forth from 100-94-100. So Netflix loads decently, YouTube is a tad slow but standable. So I think it's ok. Haven't had time to play a Blu Ray yet or SACD. Hiking tomorrow to see Petroglyphs! So after that!

Jeff
post #2183 of 3037 Old 01-04-2014, 12:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I intend to use the BDP-S5100 as a music player only--no screen.

A dedicated internet radio device like a Logitech UE Radio or a Grace Digital Mondo might be better choice for this as they both have an integrated small screen and can be fully controlled by iPhone or Android apps. Neither has digital outputs however, analog only. I have a couple of the older version of the UE Radio, the Logitech Squeezebox Radio. Two of them are connected to amps, the other two I use the built in speaker. They work very well and I can fully control them using my phone to play Pandora, Slacker, streaming radio stations and my mp3 collection.

Oops - looks like the Logitech UE Radio may have been discontinued. It's no longer listed on Logitech's site as an active product.
post #2184 of 3037 Old 01-04-2014, 06:35 AM

What setting do I need to use to watch 4:3 DVDs in 16:9? I usually watch blu-rays but started watching the Lois and Clark series on DVD. The menu is wide screen but each episode is 4:3 I thought this was normal until I watched the series last night on my in-laws DVD player. Even though their TV is HD and 16:9 the episode I watched was full screen instead of 4:9 like my TV. I've tried the zoom function in the past on my Sony but that seems to zoom out some of the pciture. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #2185 of 3037 Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Lois and Clark was recorded and broadcast in the traditional 4:3 (1.33:1) aspect ratio. To watch it full-screen on a 16:9 TV, you'll have to cut off the top and bottom or stretch the image so everything is wider than it should be.

Selden
post #2186 of 3037 Old 01-04-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Lois and Clark was recorded and broadcast in the traditional 4:3 (1.33:1) aspect ratio. To watch it full-screen on a 16:9 TV, you'll have to cut off the top and bottom or stretch the image so everything is wider than it should be.

Why would it play 4:3 on my widescreen TV from my Sony BR but 16:9 widescreen from my in-laws DVD player on a widescreen TV? It didn't look like anything was cut off or stretched. My TV is 50" but the in-laws is 37". Would that make a difference?

post #2187 of 3037 Old 01-04-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

By itself, the size of the TV wouldn't make any difference. Some TVs have special zoom features which minimize the distortions when they expand 4:3 images to 16:9. Many people hate to see all that screen area "go to waste" and are very willing to overlook the resulting distortions.

Is there any chance you could get pictures of their TV and your TV showing exactly the same scene?

Edited to add:

Most 4:3 TV programs were recorded with nothing important near the edges of the scene because the vast majority of CRT TVs would show only the central area of the broadcast image. (Quite often microphones and the like could be seen near the edges.) A zoom which excluded the top and bottom overscan areas but applied a very slight horizontal stretch to the remaining image could be quite effective.

Selden
post #2188 of 3037 Old 01-04-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Is there any chance you could get pictures of their TV and your TV showing exactly the same scene?

I could try. I'll also look at the settings on the DVD player to see if they have it set to stretch or zoom.
post #2189 of 3037 Old 01-04-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post

Why would it play 4:3 on my widescreen TV from my Sony BR but 16:9 widescreen from my in-laws DVD player on a widescreen TV? It didn't look like anything was cut off or stretched. My TV is 50" but the in-laws is 37". Would that make a difference?

It sounds like your setup is correct and theirs is incorrect. Lois and Clark should be in the 4:3 aspect ratio. If it is being viewed in 16:9 then the image is going to be distorted by being stretched out or zoomed in.

I would hate to view Lois and Clark where it filled the entire screen on my HD sets. That would not look right at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AVS mobile.

LED DLP

post #2190 of 3037 Old 01-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaghir View Post

A dedicated internet radio device like a Logitech UE Radio or a Grace Digital Mondo might be better choice for this as they both have an integrated small screen and can be fully controlled by iPhone or Android apps. Neither has digital outputs however, analog only. I have a couple of the older version of the UE Radio, the Logitech Squeezebox Radio. Two of them are connected to amps, the other two I use the built in speaker. They work very well and I can fully control them using my phone to play Pandora, Slacker, streaming radio stations and my mp3 collection.

Oops - looks like the Logitech UE Radio may have been discontinued. It's no longer listed on Logitech's site as an active product.

Except I want the ability to play CDs and SACDs :)

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page