Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 3038 Old 01-16-2014, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftytwo View Post

Thanks Kisakuku.
What model do you have?

I have a concern about the Wi-Fi ready on S3100 and S4100 models. Does it work only with Sony wi-fi adapter or does it work with any adaptor, like ASUS wi-fi USB adapter?
Wouldn't be able to spend a hundred US dollars on an exclusive required part as Sony Wi-Fi adapter, but would get the S5100 instead.

Mine is S5100. No idea about WiFi adapters. The price difference between S5100 and S4100 should be at most $0 to $20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 3038 Old 01-16-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftytwo View Post

Thanks Kisakuku.
What model do you have?

I have a concern about the Wi-Fi ready on S3100 and S4100 models. Does it work only with Sony wi-fi adapter or does it work with any adaptor, like ASUS wi-fi USB adapter?
Wouldn't be able to spend a hundred US dollars on an exclusive required part as Sony Wi-Fi adapter, but would get the S5100 instead.
In the US, the 3100 is wi-fi just like the 5100, no adapter required. If you got the 1100 or 4100, then you'd need a proprietary Sony adapter or ethernet bridge or gaming adapter. A USB adapter won't work. The price difference between an 1100 and 3100 is about $20 US.
post #2253 of 3038 Old 01-16-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 173
The Hulu plus app suppose to have being updated. If anyone uses perhaps they can share their experience
post #2254 of 3038 Old 01-17-2014, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I had originally purchased a 5100 for my upgrade, then decided since i don't plan on 3D in the near future, and the other things it offers over the 3100 were not mandatory requirements, to exchange it for the 3100, and save the difference.

Having had the 3100 for oh, probably about 6 months, or so now, I find I haven't missed anything. In fact I find other devices such as my roku to have more up to date interfaces for certain things, even with the latest sony model. As I said in an earlier post, my 570 finally died, so my only two BD players are the:

BDP-S590
BDP-S3100

Both work very well for 99 percent of the stuff. On the 590 I find netflix is the biggest issue now, while it still works I find more and more superHD content has more and more trouble going above 480 SD, when it does it goes to 720p HD, while the two other devices in the living room do 1080p.

Even there though, roku seems to be the more reliable netflix experience, that I've seen though.

As far as the audio issues I was having with the smurfs 2 blu-ray, I found being connected to a TV turning on BD Mix solved the issue. The issue was only on the 590 and older players.
post #2255 of 3038 Old 01-17-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just picked up the 3100. I also have a PS3 and a 5 year old cheap Sony DVD player. Both of those have a fastplay feature to watch video @ 1.5 speed. I just assumed this player would have it, but am I missing something? The local BB employee said that I had to activate it in the options menu, but haven't found anything. Does this player have this feature? It's great for getting through slow parts of the movie.
post #2256 of 3038 Old 01-18-2014, 05:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

what is this 24p streaming I heard about? does Netflix and other services now stream content in 24p? if the BDP doesn't do it, does the roku since it has newer interfaces then the BDP?

Yes. Apparently NF is streaming in 24p as it gets engaged on my friend's Samsung F5900.
post #2257 of 3038 Old 01-18-2014, 03:01 PM

Just one question:

Do these players support FLAC 24bit 96kHz playback with no issues?

Thanks!

post #2258 of 3038 Old 01-18-2014, 06:12 PM

Yes
post #2259 of 3038 Old 01-18-2014, 06:24 PM

This is my receiver http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/home-audio-systems/NS-R5101HD.html and before with my PS3 hooked up I could play Dolby True HD and DTS MA HD, but now that I have the sony bdp s5100 I can only get 2.0 PCM through HDMI. What gives? Shouldn't this receiver be able to decode the audio?
post #2260 of 3038 Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar1819 View Post

This is my receiver http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/home-audio-systems/NS-R5101HD.html and before with my PS3 hooked up I could play Dolby True HD and DTS MA HD, but now that I have the sony bdp s5100 I can only get 2.0 PCM through HDMI. What gives? Shouldn't this receiver be able to decode the audio?

The S5100 decodes DTS-HD MA into multi-channel pcm but with Dolby True HD it will only send out stereo PCM. Apparently Sony did not want to pay for a license to decode Dolby True HD to multi-channel pcm. It's the same deal with the 2014 models.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #2261 of 3038 Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 194
It's not your receiver's problem. Every BD player defaults PCM audio output. Unfortunately, 2013 Sony players can't fully decode Dolby audios (hence PCM 2.0). You will have to configure it to bitstream audio. The instructions have been posted multiple times here already.
post #2262 of 3038 Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 PM

I'm aware of the bitstream, but following the instructions posted and I still only get stereo PCM through HDMI no matter what setting, or if I'm playing DD 5.1 of DTS 5.1, I use with the player. Unless I'm missing something, I have the BD Mix set to off and the downmix set to surround. If I'm missing something maybe someone could point me in the right direction.
post #2263 of 3038 Old 01-18-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Are you saying when you set the player to output bitstream and play an encoded multichannel source, the player decodes the track anyway and downmixes it to stereo? It should not do that. Can you get multichannel bitstreams from other devices?
post #2264 of 3038 Old 01-19-2014, 02:54 AM

Quote:

jmar,

I was having the exact same problem when watching BR's using my Pioneer Elite SC-61 AVR, I have the Sony S5100 directly into the AVR using HDMI, which can decode most anything, i thought, but the only 2 sound options any BR's played in, without using sound enhancers was either Stereo or PCM, and that wasn`t cutting it.........just tonight I watched Prometheus, and that has DTS-HD Master 7.1 Audio, but it came up as PCM, (or stereo).......so i sat down and read about about 30 pages of this thread, and set the S5100 up just like people have suggested for bitstream playback, thinkin that would work, but not so much, still rockin the PCM......back to the drawing board....

Until.....

And I dont know maybe this was mentioned in the last 30 pages but I just couldnt read anymore..lol

Now I have gone through on screen options lots of times ,and the main menu options lots as well, but tonight, I clicked options on the S5100 remote, and clicked AVR SYNC, (on top of the options list),  I had assumed this was for correcting out of sync audio during playback, and since that wasnt my issue, Ive never bothered with it, but tonight thought why not nothing else is working... I didnt change any settings just clicked it at the default setting 0/ms i believe it was, and all of a sudden DTS-HD master popped up on my AVR, I was stoked....

Obviously now, Ive figured, it not only fixes out of sync audio, but Id have to say it completes the (Handshake) communication with the BR Player, and like I say maybe this is common knowledge, but thought Id share it anyway

And I realize that you have a different AVR, just thinking your AVR may need to confirm communication like my Pioneer...

Hopefully this will solve your PCM issues as well...!

XBL GamerTag - Hali Hoodlum
post #2265 of 3038 Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by HfxHiFi View Post

Now I have gone through on screen options lots of times ,and the main menu options lots as well, but tonight, I clicked options on the remote, and clicked AVR SYNC, (on top of the options list),  I had assumed this was for correcting out of sync audio during playback, and since that wasnt my issue, Ive never bothered with it, but tonight thought why not nothing else is working... I didnt change any settings just clicked it at the default setting 0/ms i believe it was, and all of a sudden DTS-HD master popped up on my AVR, I was stoked....

Obviously now, Ive figured, it not only fixes out of sync audio, but Id have to say it completes the (Handshake) communication with the BR Player, and like I say maybe this is common knowledge, but thought Id share it anyway

And I realize that you have a different AVR, just thinking your AVR may offer a similiar option to this, which might work for you..

Interesting. I may have missed it, but what kind of TV do you have connected? Your results may indicate that your TV actually supports the optional Automatic A/V Synchronization feature of HDMI 1.3. From what I've seen that is rather uncommon.
post #2266 of 3038 Old 01-19-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:

jmar,

I was having the exact same problem when watching BR's using my Pioneer Elite SC-61 AVR, I have the Sony S5100 directly into the AVR using HDMI, which can decode most anything, i thought, but the only 2 sound options any BR's played in, without using sound enhancers was either Stereo or PCM, and that wasn`t cutting it.........just tonight I watched Prometheus, and that has DTS-HD Master 7.1 Audio, but it came up as PCM, (or stereo).......so i sat down and read about about 30 pages of this thread, and set the S5100 up just like people have suggested for bitstream playback, thinkin that would work, but not so much, still rockin the PCM......back to the drawing board....

Until.....

And I dont know maybe this was mentioned in the last 30 pages but I just couldnt read anymore..lol

Now I have gone through on screen options lots of times ,and the main menu options lots as well, but tonight, I clicked options on the remote, and clicked AVR SYNC, (on top of the options list),  I had assumed this was for correcting out of sync audio during playback, and since that wasnt my issue, Ive never bothered with it, but tonight thought why not nothing else is working... I didnt change any settings just clicked it at the default setting 0/ms i believe it was, and all of a sudden DTS-HD master popped up on my AVR, I was stoked....

And I realize that you have a different AVR, just thinking your AVR may offer a similiar option to this, which might work for you..

I'm not home this weekend, and it's gonna eat me up until I can get home and try it out. I'm not gonna get my hopes up though. I'll let you know if this works.
post #2267 of 3038 Old 01-19-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm aware of the bitstream, but following the instructions posted and I still only get stereo PCM through HDMI no matter what setting, or if I'm playing DD 5.1 of DTS 5.1, I use with the player. Unless I'm missing something, I have the BD Mix set to off and the downmix set to surround. If I'm missing something maybe someone could point me in the right direction.
Digital audio need to set to auto. Down mix setting have no effect on bitstream. Also make sure you connect HDMI from player directly to AVR, not through TV. Make sure your AVR is set to the correct output mode where no sound is sent to TV. The term varies from brand to brand. On my pioneer, it is called AMP vs pass through.

If it still doesn't work, try the proper power up sequence: TV->AVR->BD player to ensure the proper handshake.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #2268 of 3038 Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Are you saying when you set the player to output bitstream and play an encoded multichannel source, the player decodes the track anyway and downmixes it to stereo? It should not do that. Can you get multichannel bitstreams from other devices?
Yes it downmixes to PCM when connected to HDMI, however when I had my PS3 connected I had no issues and could play HD audio and compressed audio. Now if I use the coaxial connection I can at least get lossy DD5.1 and DTS, which is how it's connected. My components are the s5100 to the mentioned receiver to an Optoma HD20 all through HDMI.
post #2269 of 3038 Old 01-20-2014, 07:24 AM

I can't seem to get to the A/V sync option by pressing 'options' on the remote control in any screen - setup or video - can you tell me how to access that option??
Thanks!
post #2270 of 3038 Old 01-20-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

Interesting. I may have missed it, but what kind of TV do you have connected? Your results may indicate that your TV actually supports the optional Automatic A/V Synchronization feature of HDMI 1.3. From what I've seen that is rather uncommon.

I have the new Sony 55" W802 LED

post #2271 of 3038 Old 01-20-2014, 09:30 AM

I have owned S5100 for over 2 months. It runs great and I love it. The only problem I am experiencing is the extremely slow loading speed on Netflix 3D movies. It will play 3D blu-ray disk perfectly. I know it's not caused by network speed. I got 25 mbps Comcast plan and S5100 is wired to one of Ethernet ports of my router. When I watched the 2D version of SuperHD movie "Legends of Flight" from Netflix, my router shows the internet download speed can go up 23 mbps during initial loading. It was around 2-3 mbps during playing and went up to 15 mbps occasionally. However, when I watched the 3D version of same movie, the initial loading took long time and the internet download speed hardly went over 6 mbps. After initial loading finished, the movie was played for 1-2 minute and paused for another around of loading. My router shows the max download speed never went over 6 mbps during 3D playing.

I would like to know if anybody here has the same issue when watching Netflix 3D movie.

Thanks.
post #2272 of 3038 Old 01-20-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iang153 View Post

I can't seem to get to the A/V sync option by pressing 'options' on the remote control in any screen - setup or video - can you tell me how to access that option??
Thanks!

Iang,

When playing a BR, I hit the options button on the S5100 remote, which brings up an overlay menu on the right side of the screen, then scroll to the top of that menu and there should be A/V SYNC

My overlay looks just like this....

A/V Sync

Video Settings

Repeat Settings >

3d Menu

Play From Beginning

Pause

Video Search

Top Menu

Popup Menu

Stop

Title Search

Chapter Search

Audio

Subtitle

Angle

post #2273 of 3038 Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey all, got a quick question:

I've been comparing the output of my sony LCD and panasonic plasma TV, both 1080p.

LCD is a 2010 model
panasonic is 2009 model but purchased in 2010.

what I seem to be noticing is while both have correct tint contrast brightness and color saturation settings, I notice when watching the same video content on both, the plasma seems to be showing more color detail then the LCD, as in shades of color. Are plasma sets still able to display more color detail then LCDs ?

E.G the plasma has an overall more saturated look and colors pop more, but they aren't over saturated. There is also the fact that if source materal has defects with color the plasma seems to show them more in detail then the LCD.

I was wondering if this is a typical difference between technologies, or if i need to check calbration again ? I'm used to CRTs so that's why i opted for plasma as my main set. I never liked LCDs because of the issues above, however they have gotten better, so i'm more likely to not make as big a deal out of things since many things i use, i'm stuck with LCD as the display.
post #2274 of 3038 Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey all, got a quick question:

I've been comparing the output of my sony LCD and panasonic plasma TV, both 1080p.

LCD is a 2010 model
panasonic is 2009 model but purchased in 2010.

what I seem to be noticing is while both have correct tint contrast brightness and color saturation settings, I notice when watching the same video content on both, the plasma seems to be showing more color detail then the LCD, as in shades of color. Are plasma sets still able to display more color detail then LCDs ?

E.G the plasma has an overall more saturated look and colors pop more, but they aren't over saturated. There is also the fact that if source materal has defects with color the plasma seems to show them more in detail then the LCD.

I was wondering if this is a typical difference between technologies, or if i need to check calbration again ? I'm used to CRTs so that's why i opted for plasma as my main set. I never liked LCDs because of the issues above, however they have gotten better, so i'm more likely to not make as big a deal out of things since many things i use, i'm stuck with LCD as the display.

You should post it to display devices forum. This is the wrong forum to discuss such matters.
post #2275 of 3038 Old 01-20-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

You should post it to display devices forum. This is the wrong forum to discuss such matters.

Considering the fact the devices used to display the content are a sony 3100, and a 590, and the threads for my respective TVs are dead, then I'm not completely off topic asking that question here. That's how it's always been for me, i have always gotten answers from threads that have at least one product I'm asking about even if it's not the exact thread topic.
post #2276 of 3038 Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 PM

Liked: 90
Quote:

Considering the fact the devices used to display the content are a sony 3100, and a 590, and the threads for my respective TVs are dead, then I'm not completely off topic asking that question here. That's how it's always been for me, i have always gotten answers from threads that have at least one product I'm asking about even if it's not the exact thread topic.

The people with the most knowledge of (and interest in) particular display devices spend time in the Display Devices Forum. And it is easy to start a new thread.

The Plasma/LCD thing does get mentioned in other places. The term: "Plasma Pop" is sometimes used to describe what people want in the projector Threads I look in on.
post #2277 of 3038 Old 01-20-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

The people with the most knowledge of (and interest in) particular display devices spend time in the Display Devices Forum. And it is easy to start a new thread.

The Plasma/LCD thing does get mentioned in other places. The term: "Plasma Pop" is sometimes used to describe what people want in the projector Threads I look in on.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I found what was deceiving my eyes, the LCD backlight messes with dark detail to some degree, while it's not too bad, the plasma doesn't have a backlight so dark is dark, so color shading from light to dark on the plasma, plus greys and black are more natural without lighting interfering like the LCD.

I already knew this, but I just realized that's why the two displays were giving slightly different results when it came to darks and shading.
post #2278 of 3038 Old 01-20-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

LCD vs Plasma is a hot topic. You don't need to get to your TV's owner thread for discussion. It is like HD DVD vs BD debate back when it was relevant. The debate will soon be over as well when Panasonic existed Plasma TV business this year.

IMHO, unless both of your TVs are professionally calibrated, you are very well be compare apples to oranges. Each TV has different factory tuning.
post #2279 of 3038 Old 01-20-2014, 02:38 PM

great, thanks - tried unsuccessfully to access that option without playing a disc - I'll try it with a disc.

thanks again
Ian
post #2280 of 3038 Old 01-20-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:

jmar,

Until.....

Now I have gone through on screen options lots of times ,and the main menu options lots as well, but tonight, I clicked options on the S5100 remote, and clicked AVR SYNC, (on top of the options list),  I had assumed this was for correcting out of sync audio during playback, and since that wasnt my issue, Ive never bothered with it, but tonight thought why not nothing else is working... I didnt change any settings just clicked it at the default setting 0/ms i believe it was, and all of a sudden DTS-HD master popped up on my AVR, I was stoked....

And I realize that you have a different AVR, just thinking your AVR may need to confirm communication like my Pioneer...

So I got home and I tried it out, but without success. I thought maybe the projector is the issue so I turned it off and suddenly the receiver begins to display DTS HD MA. I turned the projector back on and the receiver instantly switches back to PCM. So I try switching inputs on the projector, doesn't work. Then I try switching inputs on the receiver, doesn't work. I try the re-sync button on my projector, doesn't work. I tried switching the receiver from HDMI Amp to HDMI Thru, doesn't work. I tried using different HDMI cables, didn't work. If I switch sources the receiver again shows the DTS HD MA logo. So the projector seems to be the issue. Any ideas? Anyone?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page