Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 79 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100

Blu-ray Players

Foxbat121's Avatar Foxbat121
11:15 AM Liked: 256
post #2341 of 3112
01-25-2014 | Posts: 10,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller View Post

For audio, BD-ROM players are required to support Dolby Digital (AC-3), DTS, and linear PCM. Players may optionally support Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio as well as lossless formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.[128] BD-ROM titles must use one of the mandatory schemes for the primary soundtrack. A secondary audiotrack, if present, may use any of the mandatory or optional codecs.

Of course, this is unless they change the spec again....wasn't Sony a BR advocate? go figure.....they bring it to market with marketing hype and then take away all the features that are available....

-Troy

Bitstreaming is counted as supporting. Nothings says that a player MUST fully decode them. 2013 Sony x100 players can't decode any Dolby tracks into multi-channel PCM, just 2CH. So the 2014 models will do the same to DTS.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
11:25 AM Liked: 851
post #2342 of 3112
01-25-2014 | Posts: 22,157
Quote:

I'm rather annoyed at the fact that:

1) Sony didn't pay the extra $$$ to decode TrueHD to MPCM
2) Sony doesn't seem to want to address the issue of bit streaming disc that have newer audio encoding (read: Disney) that affect this player, just like it affects older players in combination with some receivers.

Sony needs to stand behind their product, get a backbone and fix the problems that these players are having with recent Disney discs.

For those that are tired of excuses, go to Amazon and search for DMP-BDT500. Maybe not as nice of an interface, but if you want to play Disney discs without issue (with the updated FW), its the player to get.

At best, my 5100 player will become a player for a TV without a proper audio system for the kids to watch movies on otherwise.

-troy

I've had no problems with both of my S5100s bitstreaming from Disney titles.
Both are bitstreaming the advanced audio codecs. One to a 2007/2008 model Denon 3808 receiver and the other bitstreams to a 2012 model Sony 2.1 speaker bar.
dgmorland's Avatar dgmorland
12:37 PM Liked: 10
post #2343 of 3112
01-25-2014 | Posts: 2

I have a BDP-S5100 and am trying to work out what might be causing this problem.  When watching a movie streaming from a DLNA server via wireless connection, it stops playing after half an hour or so.  It is as if someone has pressed the Stop button on the remote.  There is no error shown on the screen.  I can start playback again immediately but it is from the start of the movie.  The timing of it stopping isn't exact each time.

I have tried both Windows Media on Windows as the server and also Plex Media Server on Linux.  The same thing occurs on both.

The player is within 5 meters of the wireless router.  

Checking the logs of the Plex server I dont see any error.

Any suggestions on how to determine why it stops playback?

aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
12:44 PM Liked: 851
post #2344 of 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmorland View Post

I have a BDP-S5100 and am trying to work out what might be causing this problem.  When watching a movie streaming from a DLNA server via wireless connection, it stops playing after half an hour or so.  It is as if someone has pressed the Stop button on the remote.  There is no error shown on the screen.  I can start playback again immediately but it is from the start of the movie.  The timing of it stopping isn't exact each time.

I have tried both Windows Media on Windows as the server and also Plex Media Server on Linux.  The same thing occurs on both.

The player is within 5 meters of the wireless router.  

Checking the logs of the Plex server I dont see any error.

Any suggestions on how to determine why it stops playback?

To rule out wireless, connect it to a wired connection and see if you have the same issue.
powertoburn's Avatar powertoburn
01:31 PM Liked: 19
post #2345 of 3112
01-25-2014 | Posts: 214
Quote:

What receiver do you have? The BDT500 played it fine with my Onkyo...

Pioneer VSX-33
Cyrano's Avatar Cyrano
01:49 PM Liked: 90
post #2346 of 3112
01-25-2014 | Posts: 5,738
I just purchased the BX510. I am sorry to read it is lacking needed capabilities. Can anyone tell me what I will notice is missing? I am apparently quite a novice with some of the jargon. MPCM not being derived from TrueHD will hurt me in what way? And what else should I be aware is lacking and should look for in another player?

Thanks for any help (and edification).
02:08 PM Liked: 256
post #2347 of 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

I just purchased the BX510. I am sorry to read it is lacking needed capabilities. Can anyone tell me what I will notice is missing? I am apparently quite a novice with some of the jargon. MPCM not being derived from TrueHD will hurt me in what way? And what else should I be aware is lacking and should look for in another player?

Thanks for any help (and edification).

If you connect to a late model AVR that can correctly decode TrueHD and DTS HD, nothing is lacking from this player. Just make sure player bitstreaming the audio. If you don't have an AVR and connect directly to TV, nothing you will notice lacking either as the player will decode 2-ch stereo to your TV without problem.

The problem only arises when you have an somewhat older HDMI AVR that either can't decode HD audio or have flaws in decoding TrueHD on some discs (mostly in Disney titles), you are SOL because you can't depend on player to decode those TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 tracks.
jmar1819's Avatar jmar1819
06:58 PM Liked: 10
post #2348 of 3112
01-25-2014 | Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

You're comparing it to the wrong device. It's an alternative to replacing the projector with one which returns a valid EDID.

However, it also would be appropriate to go through the projector's own settings to make sure that it isn't configured as if it had its own internal speakers.
I switched out the HDMI cable that was running from the receiver to the projector, it's 15 feet long, because the original cord had given me issues in the past. I thought I'd spend 20 bucks on a monoprice redmere cable, but I got the same results. Still no HD audio when the projector is on. This is really annoying. It seems the receiver is being really picky with the HDMI handshake. Are there other devices that can correct HDMI EDID? Over a $100 seems expensive.
07:01 PM Liked: 19
post #2349 of 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

The problem only arises when you have an somewhat older HDMI AVR that either can't decode HD audio or have flaws in decoding TrueHD on some discs (mostly in Disney titles), you are SOL because you can't depend on player to decode those TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 tracks.

I think the problem with decoding problematic discs (DISNEY) encoded with Dolby True HD has more to do with the player itself then receiver.

Monsters University 2D defaults to 5.1 unless you pick 7.1 in menu.

The odd thing with playing back "Monsters University" 2D disc is if I let it play from the beginning audio drop outs will occur at the 40 minute mark in chapter 16 the toxicity challenge - however if I skip directly to chapter 16 there is no audio dropout. hopefully panasonic / sony releases firmware to correct this. It does this on the Panasonic BDT330 and Sony BX510 - will be trying the Panasonic BDT500 later in the week
73ChargerFan's Avatar 73ChargerFan
07:52 PM Liked: 18
post #2350 of 3112
01-25-2014 | Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmar1819 View Post

I switched out the HDMI cable that was running from the receiver to the projector, it's 15 feet long, because the original cord had given me issues in the past. I thought I'd spend 20 bucks on a monoprice redmere cable, but I got the same results. Still no HD audio when the projector is on. This is really annoying. It seems the receiver is being really picky with the HDMI handshake. Are there other devices that can correct HDMI EDID? Over a $100 seems expensive.
Have you tried asking in the receivers forum? Start a thread if you can't find one for your receiver.
08:24 PM Liked: 256
post #2351 of 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post

I think the problem with decoding problematic discs (DISNEY) encoded with Dolby True HD has more to do with the player itself then receiver.

The odd thing with playing back "Monsters University" 2D disc is if I let it play from the beginning audio drop outs will occur at the 40 minute mark in chapter 16 the toxicity challenge - however if I skip directly to chapter 16 there is no audio dropout. hopefully panasonic / sony releases firmware to correct this. It does this on the Panasonic BDT330 and Sony BX510 - will be trying the Panasonic BDT500 later in the week

It's not 5.1 vs 7.1 problem. There are audio drop outs and other artifacts when bitstreaming to some AVRs. Dolby Labs made some changes to the new TrueHD encoder that causes the problem. The common work around (including what Disney itseld told customers) is to use player to decode the trueHD and output LPCM 7.1 which works fine for most part until Sony 2013 players that can't decode any Dobly formats to anything more than 2.0 PCM. The problem at AVR side is real and recently there is another thread about DD+ decoding on some AVR from Netflix streaming is the same story.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
08:56 PM Liked: 851
post #2352 of 3112
Quote:

It's not 5.1 vs 7.1 problem. There are audio drop outs and other artifacts when bitstreaming to some AVRs. Dolby Labs made some changes to the new TrueHD encoder that causes the problem. The common work around (including what Disney itseld told customers) is to use player to decode the trueHD and output LPCM 7.1 which works fine for most part until Sony 2013 players that can't decode any Dobly formats to anything more than 2.0 PCM. The problem at AVR side is real and recently there is another thread about DD+ decoding on some AVR from Netflix streaming is the same story.

I have issues with both my receivers from some of the Netflix DD+ tracks. But I've not had any issues bitstreaming 7.1 TrueHD from the Disney BDs.
09:25 PM Liked: 19
post #2353 of 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I have issues with both my receivers from some of the Netflix DD+ tracks. But I've not had any issues bitstreaming 7.1 TrueHD from the Disney BDs.

I have not had any issue with the DD+ from Netflix - however sometimes with certain SUPER HD content that is not listed as having 5.1 when I play those titles my receiver will show it is playing PCM with 5.1 channels when I use the Sony BX510 but when playing the same title with the Panasonic BDT330 the receiver will show it is receiving PCM with 2 channels. The title is the series "DTLA"

I did not have any issues with Disney titles such as "Brave", "Finding Nemo" the two problematic titles for me are "Total Recall" 2012 and "Monsters University"

Too bad my AVR Pioneer VSX-33 only had one firmware update
tmuller's Avatar tmuller
09:44 PM Liked: 13
post #2354 of 3112
01-25-2014 | Posts: 43
Quote:

I think your statement is off. Drop outs and artifacts when bit streaming to some AVRs? I just changed to a Panny BDT500 BR player and my AVR can decode the signal just fine. Prior to that, my older BR player would have these dropouts and artifacts (and even the mighty 5100 did the same thing with my receiver), but I can't say that the AVR was at fault unless someone can tell me what the Panny does that my old player doesn't that allows my AVR to decode TrueHD just fine from my BDT500.

-troy
tmuller's Avatar tmuller
09:46 PM Liked: 13
post #2355 of 3112
Quote:

I've had no problems with both of my S5100s bitstreaming from Disney titles.
Both are bitstreaming the advanced audio codecs. One to a 2007/2008 model Denon 3808 receiver and the other bitstreams to a 2012 model Sony 2.1 speaker bar.

Well, I guess you find a winning combination like I did, unfortunately, my combination doesn't work with the 5100. My combination works fine with the Panny BDT500 BR player.

-troy
tmuller's Avatar tmuller
09:49 PM Liked: 13
post #2356 of 3112
Quote:

Bitstreaming is counted as supporting. Nothings says that a player MUST fully decode them. 2013 Sony x100 players can't decode any Dolby tracks into multi-channel PCM, just 2CH. So the 2014 models will do the same to DTS.

I think my point is that any player that provides the audio track to a receiver should:

1) Work as expected (ie. no drop outs)
2) Or decode said signal to be able to not have these issues.

I don't know why Sony decided to not include decoders, I can't believe that they add THAT much to the cost of the receiver. Most of it is done in SW anyways, so again, I'm not sure why this wasn't done. I just got tired of excuses and found a player that works for me and my AVR!

-troy
apw2607's Avatar apw2607
09:52 PM Liked: 206
post #2357 of 3112
01-25-2014 | Posts: 2,316
Quote:

What kind of issues are your experiencing. It's interesting you bring this up as I've noticed lately on all my netflix clients that are able to pass DD+ bitstream to my denon avr-4311 the sounds isn't very good. Its hard to describe but it's not that the audio cuts out its just not very good quality. It sounds scratchy and hissy. If I use my ATV3 on the same netflix title it sounds fine but ATV3 is only able to pass dolby digital of course,

To complicate things further vudu dolby digital + titles are all fine ....
S_G7's Avatar S_G7
11:50 PM Liked: 19
post #2358 of 3112
01-25-2014 | Posts: 53
I haven't seen this mentioned, so in case it's not general knowledge, the Amazon app for the BX510 (5100) now supports subtitles.
andyross63's Avatar andyross63
06:53 AM Liked: 36
post #2359 of 3112
01-26-2014 | Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post

The copy of "Monsters University" I had, via Netflix, did NOT have a 5.1 track. It showed in the menus, but when I tried to use it, it would play the 7.1. I don't know if it was a 'rental' version or not. It wasn't obvious on the disk.
07:38 AM Liked: 256
post #2360 of 3112
01-26-2014 | Posts: 10,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

What kind of issues are your experiencing. It's interesting you bring this up as I've noticed lately on all my netflix clients that are able to pass DD+ bitstream to my denon avr-4311 the sounds isn't very good. Its hard to describe but it's not that the audio cuts out its just not very good quality. It sounds scratchy and hissy. If I use my ATV3 on the same netflix title it sounds fine but ATV3 is only able to pass dolby digital of course,

See discussion here : http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492916/dolby-digital-plus-and-netflix-on-various-avrs
07:41 AM Liked: 256
post #2361 of 3112
Quote:

I don't know why Sony decided to not include decoders, I can't believe that they add THAT much to the cost of the receiver. Most of it is done in SW anyways, so again, I'm not sure why this wasn't done. I just got tired of excuses and found a player that works for me and my AVR!

License fees can be a cost killer. Do you know in the plain old DVD player, almost $20 of each player goes to DVD license? That's why Microsoft didn't include DVD playback in its Windows OS until Windows 7 (and got rid of it in Windows 8). In order to support multi-channel Dolby decoding, Sony needs to pay Dolby Labs license fee per player. DTS license is a little cheaper but Sony gets rid of it anyway in 2014 model years. These are in addition to BD license fees.
07:46 AM Liked: 256
post #2362 of 3112
Quote:

I think your statement is off. Drop outs and artifacts when bit streaming to some AVRs? I just changed to a Panny BDT500 BR player and my AVR can decode the signal just fine. Prior to that, my older BR player would have these dropouts and artifacts (and even the mighty 5100 did the same thing with my receiver), but I can't say that the AVR was at fault unless someone can tell me what the Panny does that my old player doesn't that allows my AVR to decode TrueHD just fine from my BDT500.

-troy

It's not my statements. There are multiple threads in BD software forum about it.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt
10:11 AM Liked: 851
post #2363 of 3112
01-26-2014 | Posts: 22,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Yes there is an entire thread on this. The issues started when Netflix started encoding their content at a much lower bitrate and I think they cut the audio track bitrate in half. Prior to this happening I had no issues.

Here is the AVS thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1492916/dolby-digital-plus-and-netflix-on-various-avrs
apw2607's Avatar apw2607
04:13 PM Liked: 206
post #2364 of 3112
01-26-2014 | Posts: 2,316
^ thanks for the link. Looks like I'm not alone !!
krismate's Avatar krismate
07:06 PM Liked: 16
post #2365 of 3112
01-26-2014 | Posts: 25

Hey everyone,

Not sure if anyone can help me here:

I just bought an S5100 to replace a Panasonic BDT-230 (had video issues going through my receiver while trying to play any Sony "Mastered in 4K" blu ray) but have noticed a problem/audio difference.

During Tron: Legacy, there's a little section where the horn sound effects from the soundtrack are much louder when playing the disc on the S5100, compared to the Panasonic. Also, it sounds like it's the surround speakers in my 7.1 setup that are too loud, while the front speakers still sound fine, I believe. I need to do more testing on this.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to later try the S5100 straight to the TV and see if that makes any difference and I'll also reset the receiver.

A different blu ray player shouldn't change anything right? The info on the disc is sent to the receiver in exactly the same manner? So, possibly it's the receiver messing something up? Still, I'm a little confused why changing blu ray players would have this kind of effect.

--Thanks

09:03 PM Liked: 19
post #2366 of 3112
01-26-2014 | Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismate View Post

Hey everyone,

I just bought an S5100 to replace a Panasonic BDT-230 (had video issues going through my receiver while trying to play any Sony "Mastered in 4K" blu ray) but have noticed a problem/audio difference.

During Tron: Legacy, there's a little section where the horn sound effects from the soundtrack are much louder when playing the disc on the S5100, compared to the Panasonic. Also, it sounds like it's the surround speakers in my 7.1 setup that are too loud, while the front speakers still sound fine, I believe. I need to do more testing on this.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to later try the S5100 straight to the TV and see if that makes any difference and I'll also reset the receiver.

A different blu ray player shouldn't change anything right? The info on the disc is sent to the receiver in exactly the same manner? So, possibly it's the receiver messing something up? Still, I'm a little confused why changing blu ray players would have this kind of effect.

--Thanks

The Sony Mastered in 4k discs such as "Elysium" and "Captain Philips" also has issues with the Panasonic BDT-330 they play fine on PS3, Sony BX510, Panasonic BDT-220

I was able to find a Panasonic BDT-220 today for a great price hoping it would solve the bit stream difficulties with "Monsters University" and I am still having issues after upgrading the firmware to 1.63 it seems if I let the movie play from the beginning when it gets to "Toxicity Challenge" the player totally freezes up it shows an image like I am trying to change the chapter - however if I skip directly to the chapter it plays fine which should rule out a problem with the disc itself
04:47 AM Liked: 256
post #2367 of 3112
01-27-2014 | Posts: 10,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismate View Post

Hey everyone,

--Thanks

Make sure both players are set to bitstream and audio dynamic range control is turned off on the player. Then, they will be identical.
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball
10:03 AM Liked: 527
post #2368 of 3112
01-27-2014 | Posts: 7,774
If your receiver has Audyssey room correction and you enable its Dynamic EQ (which is the default), then the surround speaker channels will get proportionally louder as you turn down the volume below Reference. This is a known design defect and has been discussed ad-nauseam in the Audyssey thread.

A workaround is to set the receiver's "Reference Level Offset" to a higher value so that DynEQ's effects are centered around a lower master volume level.
kkirsche's Avatar kkirsche
04:46 PM Liked: 23
post #2369 of 3112
01-27-2014 | Posts: 76
Hey Guys,

Sorry if this has been answered, I searched but couldn't find it. My BDP-S5100 seems to not always output the HD audio track selected. Today, I got the Panorum Blu Ray from Netflix which has a 5.1 Dolby TrueHD track. Yet my receiver, a Sony STR-DN1040 says its outputting Dolby Digital. Any idea why it's outputting this instead of the Dolby TrueHD track?

It's connected via HDMI using a mediabridge HDMI cable from amazon.

Thanks!
04:57 PM Liked: 256
post #2370 of 3112
01-27-2014 | Posts: 10,095
A few things to check:
1. Make sure your player is set to bitstream all audio (there are two settings need to be changed. Search for bitstream in this thread). The player defaults not bitstream.
2. Make sure you actually selected the HD audio track. Early BDs often defaults to DD track for compatibility. Use the Audio button on remote to cycle through different audio tacks until you see the track you want.
3. Some Netflix rentals don't contain any HD audio track at all. There is nothing you can do about it. It's studio's decision to deliberately withhold features from rental disc to force you to buy the retail version instead.
Tags: bx510 , dolby , m2ts , Sony , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , truehd

Gear in this thread - bx510 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread