Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 88 - AVS Forum
First ... 86  87  88 89  90  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 11:52 AM 02-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohills View Post

HI Guys, Just picked up the 5100. One quick question. Should I use the built in wireless on the player or hardwire to a wireless bridge?

It depends on the quality of the wireless signal at the location of your 5100. If there's a poor quality signal and/or lots of interference, a hardwired connection is better. One that runs directly to your router is best.

mdavej's Avatar mdavej 12:42 PM 02-20-2014
^^^
It also depends on what you intend to watch. Streaming Netflix works perfectly well over a decent wifi connection, as aaronwt said. But start streaming high bitrate BD rips or wtv files, and wifi won't cut it.
ohills's Avatar ohills 04:01 PM 02-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

It depends on the quality of the wireless signal at the location of your 5100. If there's a poor quality signal and/or lots of interference, a hardwired connection is better. One that runs directly to your router is best.

What I meant is can a connection to a wireless bridge be better than the built in wireless on the 5100
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 04:07 PM 02-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohills View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

What I meant is can a connection to a wireless bridge be better than the built in wireless on the 5100

Probably. The 5100's antenna is hidden inside it, where the signal will be attenuated by its case, and the antenna is unlikely to be aligned with the antenna of your access point. With an external bridge, you can make sure that its antenna(s) are aligned (vertically or horizontally) with those of the access point to get the best signal. But any wireless transmission can be flaky and often cannot handle 1080p.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 05:49 PM 02-20-2014
Doesn't a bridge cost more than the player? I think I'd try wifi first. The case is plastic after all, so shouldn't attenuate much.
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 06:04 PM 02-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Doesn't a bridge cost more than the player? I think I'd try wifi first. The case is plastic after all, so shouldn't attenuate much.

In principle, the cost of a bridge could be justified if it's being used for more than just the player. E.g. for a receiver and TV, and any other nearby network-attached devices.
Foxbat121's Avatar Foxbat121 06:11 PM 02-20-2014
A bridge will not necessary give you better streaming results. WiFi is prone to interference and packet losses regardless how much you spent on the devices. If you want reliability, nothing beats hard wire. Even a pair of Powerline adapters is often cheaper and more reliable than wifi bridge.

That being said, there really is not need for that on these players unless all you want is stream full bitrate BD rips. For most internet streaming, the wifi is more than adequate.
apw2607's Avatar apw2607 09:06 PM 02-20-2014
^ well it might if the bridge uses 5GHz (and you have a similar 5GHz router).
Foxbat121's Avatar Foxbat121 05:19 AM 02-21-2014
I have 5ghz at home and it is not much better besides the shorter range. I personally prefer powering adapter for all fixed location devices.
JP12's Avatar JP12 10:47 PM 02-21-2014

I am having trouble getting HD streams with all my Sony BD Players. Every other device on same network (all wired just like the Sonys) pulls HD no problem. I don't suppose someone could recommend a player of comparable BD playback performance and quality with Netflix streaming that actually works properly? 

mdavej's Avatar mdavej 09:10 AM 02-22-2014
My 3 Sony players start at 5800k 1080p and stay there. Are you sure something else is causing the problem?
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 09:15 AM 02-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP12 View Post

I am having trouble getting HD streams with all my Sony BD Players. Every other device on same network (all wired just like the Sonys) pulls HD no problem. I don't suppose someone could recommend a player of comparable BD playback performance and quality with Netflix streaming that actually works properly? 

A SOny S5100 or a Sony S6200. I have a couple of the S5100's and I recently got an S6200. They both work properly with Netflix. Although the S6200 has the newest Netflix interface.
73ChargerFan's Avatar 73ChargerFan 10:06 AM 02-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

A SOny S5100 or a Sony S6200. I have a couple of the S5100's and I recently got an S6200. They both work properly with Netflix. Although the S6200 has the newest Netflix interface.
I hope this doesn't mean that Sony isn't updating the 5100s now that new models are out.
JP12's Avatar JP12 10:34 AM 02-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I have a 5100, it doesn't work right either. They are obviously being run through a proxy on Sony's end. There is no other reasonable explanation why every other streaming device works fine under the same exact conditions. It is the same interface and performance on my 590 and 5100 (at least as far as Netflix is concerned). If there isn't a comparable player outside the Sony brand I guess I'll need to get a separate streaming box. Thank you for trying to help though...I guess it depends on your location in relation to where Sony is routing you.

JP12's Avatar JP12 10:39 AM 02-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

My 3 Sony players start at 5800k 1080p and stay there. Are you sure something else is causing the problem?

Positive of it. Xbox 360, HTPC, even an old Roku all have better performance on the same ethernet switch connected to the same router. I tried switching the cable, even using openDNS and google DNS in the player settings all with no results. It is the same on my 590 and my 5100. They will from time to time pull the HD signal but during prime hours it is a definite no go usually staying in the low SD (not even 480). During the same hours I still get 1080 on my Xbox...I can't think of any other reason but the "authentication" process Sony is using. 

Thank you for the response, I'm not insinuating that your players don't function as you say. Perhaps I'm in a bad region for Sony servers because PSN performance on my PS3 is terrible as well.

apw2607's Avatar apw2607 07:23 PM 02-22-2014
Quote:

I have a 5100, it doesn't work right either. They are obviously being run through a proxy on Sony's end. There is no other reasonable explanation why every other streaming device works fine under the same exact conditions. It is the same interface and performance on my 590 and 5100 (at least as far as Netflix is concerned). If there isn't a comparable player outside the Sony brand I guess I'll need to get a separate streaming box. Thank you for trying to help though...I guess it depends on your location in relation to where Sony is routing you.

Sony servers are used to ensure your device gets access to certain apps based on where you are located in the world but they have nothing to do with serving Netflix video to you.
MacinMan's Avatar MacinMan 07:47 PM 02-22-2014
It wasn't that long ago when I had streaming issues with all my devices and Netflix. For me, it seems like that particular time of day was bad. None of my devices ever reach the max speed and they Jumping up-and-down.

Usually my 3100 and the Roku reliably hit Netflix top speed. While the 590 usually hits the next to top. Lately, I have noticed in comparison to everything that I use Netflix seems to be the one that tends to be the most unreliable when it comes to streaming quality and being consistent.
JP12's Avatar JP12 09:03 PM 02-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Sony servers are used to ensure your device gets access to certain apps based on where you are located in the world but they have nothing to do with serving Netflix video to you.

Sorry, but how can you know this? Do you have insider info on the subject? That's an honest question, not a snide remark. I find it hard to believe based on the discrepancies in performance under the exact conditions as other devices. Why should Sony servers be used at all, other than authenticating Crackle or some other Sony service? One thing is for certain, same dsl, same time of day, same ethernet, same router, different device = HD 1080p stream while Sony bluray regardless of model gives 480p or less. I pulled out my old s270 for even more reference and my son's 185 has similar results (although I can't claim the 185 to be conclusive as it is on a wireless bridge). Now, I'm not trying to be argumentative here but you can't tell me that 3 different models of Sony BD player all suffer from bad playback due to netflix or network congestion or something while 4 other devices chug right along at full HD quality every time. Something has to do with the Sony framework, perhaps not where everyone lives but certainly where I do...Maybe since I need to ping Sony server for authentication it then routes me to further or busier CDN than my direct connection devices are naturally routed to. 

In any case I've exhausted all problem shooting...right down to switching ethernet cables, I would really like a quality player that can handle netflix properly with the same Bluray speed and quality as the Sony player. If nobody can suggest one or one just doesn't exist I guess I will be forced to add a Roku 3 or something in the mix. My setup is becoming so segmented I would like to have one device that multitasks with some degree of competence. 

mdavej's Avatar mdavej 09:58 PM 02-22-2014
Quote:

Positive of it. Xbox 360, HTPC, even an old Roku all have better performance on the same ethernet switch connected to the same router. I tried switching the cable, even using openDNS and google DNS in the player settings all with no results. It is the same on my 590 and my 5100. They will from time to time pull the HD signal but during prime hours it is a definite no go usually staying in the low SD (not even 480). During the same hours I still get 1080 on my Xbox...I can't think of any other reason but the "authentication" process Sony is using. 

Thank you for the response, I'm not insinuating that your players don't function as you say. Perhaps I'm in a bad region for Sony servers because PSN performance on my PS3 is terrible as well.
Well, I take it all back. I just tried Netflix for the first time in about a month, and my bitrate is now total crap. Nothing has changed on my end, so it must be an issue with Sony or Netflix, like you said. I'll have to try my PC and see if it's any better.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 11:07 PM 02-22-2014
I was watching some Netflix earlier tonight. Both my S5100 and S6200 were playing 1080P streams
andyross63's Avatar andyross63 06:51 AM 02-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post

I hope this doesn't mean that Sony isn't updating the 5100s now that new models are out.
They will probably have firmware updates for awhile. My BDP-S380 just had a firmware update. It's mainly BD and Internet video improvements, no interface changes.
Selden Ball's Avatar Selden Ball 09:47 AM 02-23-2014
Don't forget that if you try to watch during peak-demand times (e.g. weekday evenings) then you're unlikely to be able to get maximum performance. There are just too many other people trying to do the same things, overloading network routers and remote servers. If you're unlucky enough to have a lot of routers between you and the service, fluctuations in service speed are just that much worse.
MacinMan's Avatar MacinMan 10:02 AM 02-23-2014
Hey guys, is Netflix ever going to offer an option to download content? Such as VUDU or Amazon video? They still required to be tied to your account but they let you watch it off-line. Or is Netflix only off-line option the disks?
KC-Technerd's Avatar KC-Technerd 10:05 AM 02-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ChargerFan View Post

Sony provided firmware updates for its first Blu-ray player, the BDP-S1, for over 5 years.
K5ING's Avatar K5ING 10:31 AM 02-23-2014
I think this is why Netflix quality has gone down in recent months. It has to do with them offering Super HD using their "Open Connect" tech, but only to ISP providers who want to play ball with them.
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 11:32 AM 02-23-2014
But I normally get Super HD and don't have Open Connect. My last session eventually got up to Super, but much more slowly than usual.
Gandu's Avatar Gandu 11:33 AM 02-23-2014
teachsac's Avatar teachsac 11:38 AM 02-23-2014
I could not get my S790 to go above 384 SD last night, either. Amazon worked perfectly. Either the Sony server or on NF end. Didn't try my other players.

S~
MacinMan's Avatar MacinMan 11:44 AM 02-23-2014
When I went to Walmart earlier today I looked to see what blu-ray players were available.
There were absolutely no Sony models. The only Sony player was a traditional DVD player. Is Walmart going to discontinue Sony Blu-ray players?
73ChargerFan's Avatar 73ChargerFan 11:48 AM 02-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

Sony provided firmware updates for its first Blu-ray player, the BDP-S1, for over 5 years.
That's good to hear.
Tags: bx510 , dolby , m2ts , Sony , Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , truehd
First ... 86  87  88 89  90  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop