Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2701 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up a S5100 a couple days ago. Been reading thru this topic for while, but I'm confused about DTS support. I'm referring to standard DTS, not the newer DTS-HD. The equipment the S5100 is connected to is an old Sony STR-DB930 receiver via coax and a Samsung LN46B750 TV via HDMI. DVDs with DTS audio play just fine, the DB930 shows DTS as the audio type. If I play any type of file (mkv, mpg, vob, etc) that has a DTS track from a USB drive the DB930 will only show PCM as the audio type. Same goes for any file played via DLNA. I tried changing the audio settings in the S5100, but haven't been able to figure out why DTS is not being sent to the receiver when played from a file (USB or DLNA).

Update: I borrowed a Sony BDP-S470. Connected it exactly the same as I had the S5100. DTS 5.1 audio plays fine from DVDs. Used a VOB file off of a concert DVD that has a DTS 5.1 track. USB and DLNA both played the DTS track just fine.

So, what is causing the S5100 to send the DTS track as PCM to my receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Badger View Post

Just picked up a S5100 a couple days ago. Been reading thru this topic for while, but I'm confused about DTS support. I'm referring to standard DTS, not the newer DTS-HD. The equipment the S5100 is connected to is an old Sony STR-DB930 receiver via coax and a Samsung LN46B750 TV via HDMI. DVDs with DTS audio play just fine, the DB930 shows DTS as the audio type. If I play any type of file (mkv, mpg, vob, etc) that has a DTS track from a USB drive the DB930 will only show PCM as the audio type. Same goes for any file played via DLNA. I tried changing the audio settings in the S5100, but haven't been able to figure out why DTS is not being sent to the receiver when played from a file (USB or DLNA).

Update: I borrowed a Sony BDP-S470. Connected it exactly the same as I had the S5100. DTS 5.1 audio plays fine from DVDs. Used a VOB file off of a concert DVD that has a DTS 5.1 track. USB and DLNA both played the DTS track just fine.

I'm seeing the exact same thing and don't see any way to fix (no way to force bitstreaming since the only options are "Auto" and "PCM"). Only option would be to try HDMI audio, which I've yet to do.

post #2703 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the 5100 and I can stream video from my Android devices using a player like Bubble UpNp. However I would like to access files on my wired PC in my office to play through the 5100 and I can't figure out how to do this. Can anyone shed any insight? Thank you. Although the PC is wired, it does go through the wifi router so I would think DLNA would still be possible, I just don't know how...
post #2704 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

I have the 5100 and I can stream video from my Android devices using a player like Bubble UpNp. However I would like to access files on my wired PC in my office to play through the 5100 and I can't figure out how to do this. Can anyone shed any insight? Thank you. Although the PC is wired, it does go through the wifi router so I would think DLNA would still be possible, I just don't know how...

I use Serviio to do this. I can stream just about anything from my PC, which is on a wired connection to my router. My S5100 is also on a wired connection to the router.

Check here to get started with Serviio...

http://serviio.org/component/content/article/10-uncategorised/5-getting-started
post #2705 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post

I'm seeing the exact same thing and don't see any way to fix (no way to force bitstreaming since the only options are "Auto" and "PCM"). Only option would be to try HDMI audio, which I've yet to do.

I don't really want to have to buy a new "modern" receiver that accepts HDMI to see if it fixes this. My Sony DB930 has been a great receiver even though it's gettin' pretty old!
post #2706 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't really want to have to buy a new "modern" receiver that accepts HDMI to see if it fixes this. My Sony DB930 has been a great receiver even though it's gettin' pretty old!

Yep, it's pretty frustrating that there always seems to be something these ~$100 Blu-ray players fall short on. If this wasn't for my parents (who really don't care about DTS), I'd throw it out the window in disgust. This was to replace an LG BD670, and the only reason I strayed from LG is because they no longer support Amazon Prime instant video (that and the reliability issues). The other players I was considering were the Panasonic DMP-BDT230 and Samsung BD-F5900, but I couldn't resist the $80 price tag of the Sony. Perhaps I chose poorly.

post #2707 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I use Serviio to do this. I can stream just about anything from my PC, which is on a wired connection to my router. My S5100 is also on a wired connection to the router.

Check here to get started with Serviio...

http://serviio.org/component/content/article/10-uncategorised/5-getting-started

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try. However, my 5100 is connected to the same router via wifi and isn't wired like yours, but hopefully that won't be an issue.
post #2708 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try. However, my 5100 is connected to the same router via wifi and isn't wired like yours, but hopefully that won't be an issue.

Should work okay even on Wi-Fi. I had mine connected that way in the beginning. The only issues I had with Wi-Fi was high bit-rate BluRay rips stuttering, which I assumed was caused by being wireless. I haven't had any streaming problems since I changed to a wired connection.
post #2709 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

Try turn secondary audio mix off.

Quote:

If your PC runs Windows 7 or later, it is extremely easy. In Windows Media Player or Windows File Explorer, simply select your media, right click and choose 'Play To'. Find your 5100 in the list and that's it. Your media must be Windows Media Player supported format. That means out of box, mkv files are not supported. However, you can install Shark007 codec pack to add the support.

Further, you can enable media sharing on the PC, and you can use your android phone app to select media from your PC (as one of the media servers) and play to the 5100.
post #2710 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post

Yep, it's pretty frustrating that there always seems to be something these ~$100 Blu-ray players fall short on. If this wasn't for my parents (who really don't care about DTS), I'd throw it out the window in disgust. This was to replace an LG BD670, and the only reason I strayed from LG is because they no longer support Amazon Prime instant video (that and the reliability issues). The other players I was considering were the Panasonic DMP-BDT230 and Samsung BD-F5900, but I couldn't resist the $80 price tag of the Sony. Perhaps I chose poorly.

I'm pretty happy with the S5100. I have been ripping all of my DVDs with MakeMKV and the MKVs all play great from my PC to the S5100 using Serviio. But for some odd reason it really bugged me that the DTS tracks were being sent to my receiver as PCM via the coax. Actually, I don't really care about DTS audio all that much because the majority of my DVD viewing is concerts, and I am not a fan of multi-channel audio for music.
post #2711 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Foxbat, but I had already tried that and it didn't change anything.

The firmware on my unit is M15.R.0163, if that matters at all.

My audio setting are...

Digital Audio Output = Auto
DSD Output Mode = Off
BD Audio Mix Settings = Off
DTS Neo 6 = Off
Audio DRC = Off
Downmix = Stereo

I have tinkered with all of these settings.
post #2712 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
My BDP3100 no longer works with Serviio server, and it used to work great. The dead Serviio icon in the XMB no longer sees the Server as being ON, and when clicked it tries to start the server to no avail, yet the Serviio console clearly indicates connection to the Sony. The 3100 still works fine with PS3 Media Server. I don't recall making any changes that would cause this issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #2713 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovy View Post

My BDP3100 no longer works with Serviio server, and it used to work great. The dead Serviio icon in the XMB no longer sees the Server as being ON, and when clicked it tries to start the server to no avail, yet the Serviio console clearly indicates connection to the Sony. The 3100 still works fine with PS3 Media Server. I don't recall making any changes that would cause this issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

Double check your IP addresses on both your PC and your BD player. I set both my PC and the BD player to static IP's. In the Serviio console on the status tab there is also a setting for your IP address. I set that to the actual IP of my PC instead of "automatically detected".

See if that helps.
post #2714 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion, Foxbat, but I had already tried that and it didn't change anything.

The firmware on my unit is M15.R.0163, if that matters at all.

My audio setting are...

Digital Audio Output = Auto
DSD Output Mode = Off
BD Audio Mix Settings = Off
DTS Neo 6 = Off
Audio DRC = Off
Downmix = Stereo

I have tinkered with all of these settings.

That's what both of my S5100's are set for and with those settings they will bitstream the audio formats from the disc over HDMI.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #2715 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Double check your IP addresses on both your PC and your BD player. I set both my PC and the BD player to static IP's. In the Serviio console on the status tab there is also a setting for your IP address. I set that to the actual IP of my PC instead of "automatically detected".

See if that helps.

Thanks for the input, Jim.
On the Sony 3100 the IP add was fixed and MAC add was unchanged since day one. In serviio console IP add was changed from 'Auto' to the PC's IP address...but this did not help.
Then I tried, in the BDP3100 'Conn Serv Settings'_Options_Remove the duplicate instance of Serviio, then 'Update Server List', and now it all seems to work good again.

all is good....LNT4671 1005/1001 SQ01 w/old PS3 80G,Oppo 83 & 2400ES into Mirage OS3FS
post #2716 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

That's what both of my S5100's are set for and with those settings they will bitstream the audio formats from the disc over HDMI.

What about from a USB drive or DLNA? Does the audio get bit-streamed over HDMI with those too?
post #2717 of 3063 Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

What about from a USB drive or DLNA? Does the audio get bit-streamed over HDMI with those too?

I'm not sure if I've ever checked. I have several media players I use to play those types of files.

LED DLP

post #2718 of 3063 Old 03-04-2014, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Has anyone had the YouTube app on the 590 or the 3100 randomly crash after you've been watching videos for a while? I'll be watching videos and then all of a sudden when I load the next one, it will give an error iMessage and quit back to the XMB screen.
post #2719 of 3063 Old 03-04-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No problem for me. Everything is bitstreamed, USB or DLNA, over HDMI. I mostly watch DTS-HD MA BD rips. Aside from the known freezing issue of the player on certain DTS-HD MA tracks, it is fine.
post #2720 of 3063 Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

Has anyone had the YouTube app on the 590 or the 3100 randomly crash after you've been watching videos for a while? I'll be watching videos and then all of a sudden when I load the next one, it will give an error iMessage and quit back to the XMB screen.

No, but I am having issues with You Tube videos hanging up at the "loading" stage. Stranges thing, however, is that as of last night, it only affected videos uploaded to YouTube on March 3rd. Earlier ones play fine, but the ones uploaded yesterday won't play. This has happened on all of the channels/subscriptions I have. They play fine on my computers but not on the Sony BD player, even when I try to use my paired device to call them up. Anyone else notice this?

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

post #2721 of 3063 Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 PM

Just like everyone else I spend days trying to figure out this bitstream problem and getting Dolby True HD or Master Audio. I set everything just like everyone said and still could never get the Dolby True HD or Master Audio to light up on my Sony STR-DH740, then I read a post about getting it to light by disconnecting their projector. I tried it and as soon as I pulled the HDMI output cable on my AVR it lit up and PCM 2.0 went off. Got me thinking and messing with other settings. I went into my AVR's HDMI menu and turned off the setting that was set to HDMI Audio Out: TV+ AMP and set it to AMP only and it worked. I left HDMi pass through on but you may also want to mess with that setting as well as turning off Control for HDMI. The only reason I had the TV+AMP setting on was I have my Turtle Beach headphone RF emitter plugged into the audio out of my projector so I could use my headphones with the AMP off. This is something I can switch on if needed or move the emitter to the headphone jack of the AVR when I want to use them with the x-box. I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight.......FINALLY!
post #2722 of 3063 Old 03-04-2014, 10:27 PM

I have been tinkering with this unit for days, but still cannot get the DTS (standard dts5.1) signal to my receiver via the coax connection via USB or DLNA. I'm starting to think it's a firmware issue, because it doesn't make sense to me that discs with DTS work fine but files played from USB or DLNA do not. I'm thinking of getting another S5100 and not upgrading the firmware on it and see what happens.
post #2723 of 3063 Old 03-05-2014, 04:04 AM

new firmware update today when i turned it on
post #2724 of 3063 Old 03-05-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

So what are the changes with this new version? I see it is M15.R.0172

I don't even see the new firmware listed online. It still has the old firmware listed. version M15.R.0163

EDIT: well I see Netflix and Amazon are the same

LED DLP

post #2725 of 3063 Old 03-05-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So what are the changes with this new version? I see it is M15.R.0172

I don't even see the new firmware listed online. It still has the old firmware listed. version M15.R.0163

EDIT: well I see Netflix and Amazon are the same
Be nice if it addresses the after watching 3D Blu-ray/netflix lockup.
post #2726 of 3063 Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST60Chambers View Post

Be nice if it addresses the after watching 3D Blu-ray/netflix lockup.

Wow, didn't realize this was a known issue as it happened to me just last night! I watched AL: Vampire Hunter on 3D blu-ray disc then went to Netflix and it had completely reset and made me reenter my login credentials. Tried to stream a Netflix 3D title and it locked up forcing me to do a hard reset (holding power button down). Nice, I guess, to know it isn't just me experiencing this. rolleyes.gif
post #2727 of 3063 Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

Wow, didn't realize this was a known issue as it happened to me just last night! I watched AL: Vampire Hunter on 3D blu-ray disc then went to Netflix and it had completely reset and made me reenter my login credentials. Tried to stream a Netflix 3D title and it locked up forcing me to do a hard reset (holding power button down). Nice, I guess, to know it isn't just me experiencing this. rolleyes.gif
I read it on this thread awhile ago. Basically after watching a 3D Blu-ray you have to take out the disc, recycle power on player THEN load up Netflix. Definitely a pain in the butt if you jump back and forth from 3D disc and Netflix.
post #2728 of 3063 Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Maybe the update today fixed it?

LED DLP

post #2729 of 3063 Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is there a way to force a firmware update on the BDP-S5100?
post #2730 of 3063 Old 03-05-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a Network Update menu item to check and update firmware.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page