Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 3058 Old 03-19-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
DLNA server is on your PC side, not the player. Either install the Sony Serviio server or if you have a Windows PC, install a codec pack like Shark 007 in order for mkv files show up for streaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3058 Old 03-20-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Anna,

To expand on this a little, what you see today is the DLNA server built into widows. That one is extremely limited and not very compatible with Sony. Serviio is far better and is optimized to work with many specific models, including Sony.

And while you can improve the windows server by adding codec packs, I still think Serviio will give you the broadest file support and the least transcoding (meaning better picture quality and less processing burden on your PC). If you want to try the codec pack approach, I'd be a little more conservative and install LAV filters. Shark is great, but you really have to know what you're doing. I didn't know what I was doing, and it completely broke most of my media capabilities, requiring that I wipe my computer and re-install Windows before I got everything back to normal. Granted, this was quite a while ago, and it doesn't happen to everyone, but is a possibility if you have limit experience with those kinds of things like I do.
post #2793 of 3058 Old 03-20-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Neither are cake walk. Serviio requires Java Runtime which is considered a significant security risk these days on workstations. Last time I tried when I had S590, it also requires you to manually configure a different profile for the player in order to avoid transcoding.

Shark007 codec pack did cause problems from time to time in the past but the new versions are much stable now. But still, you need to pay attention to and properly configure it.
post #2794 of 3058 Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Neither are cake walk. Serviio requires Java Runtime which is considered a significant security risk these days on workstations. Last time I tried when I had S590, it also requires you to manually configure a different profile for the player in order to avoid transcoding.

Shark007 codec pack did cause problems from time to time in the past but the new versions are much stable now. But still, you need to pay attention to and properly configure it.

That's just nonsense
post #2795 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

That's just nonsense

What do you mean? I can only speak about Serviio but it's not a simple plug-and-play with Serviio. There is a learning curve and I did have to learn how to tweak it, i.e., modify the profiles, to make Serviio work right. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable PC user and it took more than several tries before I got it just right with Serviio.
post #2796 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having a problem with my brand new HD system, this is the first I ever set up, my info is as follows:

TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Receiver: Sony STR-DN1040
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S5100
Cables: Monoprice HDMI w/ Redmere
Monoprice 8 Outlet Home Theatre Power Center for the surge protector

I get a crystal clear picture via all the SmartTV functions and use that for Netflix, Hulu, etc. Right now when I play DVDs via the Blu-Ray player and the 1040 I get a "snowy" picture filled with artifacts after exactly 4:30 minutes. This continues for about 60 seconds after I press stop and then does not continue again- I can continue to watch whatever without the snow. I've gotten this same thing to happen multiple times and not just via Blu-Ray and regular DVDs, but also via the Netflix app on the DVD player. 4:30 after starting the Netflix app I get the snow for several minutes and then it goes away. Has anyone heard of this happening before?

At first I thought something on the receiver was overheating, but as I tested it just now I'm not sure about that.
post #2797 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 07:54 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

What do you mean? I can only speak about Serviio but it's not a simple plug-and-play with Serviio. There is a learning curve and I did have to learn how to tweak it, i.e., modify the profiles, to make Serviio work right. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable PC user and it took more than several tries before I got it just right with Serviio.

Serviio took me about 10 or 15 minutes from the time I downloaded it until I was streaming movies and TV shows. No extra codecs needed or anything. I just downloaded it, installed it, told it what directories I wanted it to monitor and stream (and which ones I didn't), and that was pretty much it. Granted, I already had all of my media set up and organized on my computer in a simple directory called "video", which then had separate directories for movies, TV shows, documentaries, music, etc., but anyone wanting to stream or view media should already have done this.

Serviio is very easy to set up, really.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

post #2798 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontgd View Post

I'm having a problem with my brand new HD system, this is the first I ever set up, my info is as follows:

TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Receiver: Sony STR-DN1040
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S5100
Cables: Monoprice HDMI w/ Redmere
Monoprice 8 Outlet Home Theatre Power Center for the surge protector

I get a crystal clear picture via all the SmartTV functions and use that for Netflix, Hulu, etc. Right now when I play DVDs via the Blu-Ray player and the 1040 I get a "snowy" picture filled with artifacts after exactly 4:30 minutes. This continues for about 60 seconds after I press stop and then does not continue again- I can continue to watch whatever without the snow. I've gotten this same thing to happen multiple times and not just via Blu-Ray and regular DVDs, but also via the Netflix app on the DVD player. 4:30 after starting the Netflix app I get the snow for several minutes and then it goes away. Has anyone heard of this happening before?

At first I thought something on the receiver was overheating, but as I tested it just now I'm not sure about that.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I have not noticed this issue, although I have a different TV and I don't use a receiver. I have a Panasonic TC-P65S64 and the club version of the S5100. So far I haven't had the particular problem you've mentioned. Maybe you should do a factory reset on the player and try it with just a few settings changed, like picture size or something? Maybe slowly enable settings until you can rule out what might be causing it? I would do a factory reset on the BD player first, then adjust settings to what is ideal for your TV. Then try again. If it does it again, do a reset and only enable the basic settings. Then delve deeper adjusting slowly until you can determine if it is the player, or possibly a bad setting.
post #2799 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5ING View Post

Serviio took me about 10 or 15 minutes from the time I downloaded it until I was streaming movies and TV shows. No extra codecs needed or anything. I just downloaded it, installed it, told it what directories I wanted it to monitor and stream (and which ones I didn't), and that was pretty much it. Granted, I already had all of my media set up and organized on my computer in a simple directory called "video", which then had separate directories for movies, TV shows, documentaries, music, etc., but anyone wanting to stream or view media should already have done this.

Serviio is very easy to set up, really.

Granted I installed Serviio way back when the profiles weren't as extensive as now. My Sony's wouldn't stream AVI because the the codec was Divx which Sony doesn't handle. So I had to modify the profile to transcode AVIs. That took some reading in Serviio forum. I didn't realize I had 'stop" Serviio service before modifying the profiles so that took time to learn that there was a difference in stopping the service and the program. Had to reinstall Serviio, etc. Start over again, etc.

Then I wanted to be access online content so I had read upon that, how to install plug-in and all that. Figure out what the RSS code, etc. That also took some time to troubleshoot.

All in all, it took good 4-5 hours, if not more, to research, set-up, and troubleshoot Serviio to get it right for me. So for me, I can't say Serviio was very easy to set up, really.
post #2800 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Granted I installed Serviio way back when the profiles weren't as extensive as now. My Sony's wouldn't stream AVI because the the codec was Divx which Sony doesn't handle. So I had to modify the profile to transcode AVIs. That took some reading in Serviio forum. I didn't realize I had 'stop" Serviio service before modifying the profiles so that took time to learn that there was a difference in stopping the service and the program. Had to reinstall Serviio, etc. Start over again, etc.

Then I wanted to be access online content so I had read upon that, how to install plug-in and all that. Figure out what the RSS code, etc. That also took some time to troubleshoot.

All in all, it took good 4-5 hours, if not more, to research, set-up, and troubleshoot Serviio to get it right for me. So for me, I can't say Serviio was very easy to set up, really.

It could be that I already had some codecs installed from some time in the past. I also haven't messed much with the online content stuff. I tried, just for grins, but it looked like too much of a hassle to mess with especially since I didn't need any of them. I can see where the online stuff would take some time and extra research. I've been using Serviio for several years (since v. 1.1 I think) and I've been very happy with it.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

post #2801 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5ING View Post

It could be that I already had some codecs installed from some time in the past. I also haven't messed much with the online content stuff. I tried, just for grins, but it looked like too much of a hassle to mess with especially since I didn't need any of them. I can see where the online stuff would take some time and extra research. I've been using Serviio for several years (since v. 1.1 I think) and I've been very happy with it.

Well, I have had Serviio since version 0.7 something and every time you update the version, the profiles gets over-written. I got wise after first couple of times and started saving my "custom' profiles. Online access is actually easier to set up than modifying the profiles. I am guessing that you never had to fuss with the profiles. Don't get me wrong, I am very happy with it as well. It just took some elbow grease to get there.
post #2802 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

^ to simplify the upgrade process save your config and library folders.
post #2803 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
hey all,

got a couple questions, since many people here have a mac of some model in addition to the sony player, as I do, i wanted to ask how hard it would be to turn a mac into a home theater pc? as you know i have a retina macbook so it has a dedicated HDMI port, and I recently bought a blu-ray burner to go with it I have gotten commercial blu-rays to play with software that is dedicated to blu;-ray playback even though it's limited to the main movie. Is there a way to give this mac full blu-ray support and have something that will do more then the set top boxes?

Thanks
post #2804 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 PM

I got mine in today, can confirm no cinavia when streaming from PLEX DLNA which I had with the PS3. Happy so far. Selling the broken PS# Super Slim for $75 which is only $5 less than I payed for the player.
post #2805 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

hey all,

got a couple questions, since many people here have a mac of some model in addition to the sony player, as I do, i wanted to ask how hard it would be to turn a mac into a home theater pc?
You'll probably get better responses if you ask in the Mac HTPC forum. After all, you're asking about eliminating your Sony player wink.gif http://www.avsforum.com/f/115/htpc-mac-chat
Quote:
as you know i have a retina macbook so it has a dedicated HDMI port, and I recently bought a blu-ray burner to go with it I have gotten commercial blu-rays to play with software that is dedicated to blu;-ray playback even though it's limited to the main movie. Is there a way to give this mac full blu-ray support and have something that will do more then the set top boxes?

Thanks
I don't have a Mac, but I've seen articles about BD player software for them. e.g.
http://www.macworld.com/article/2084815/turn-your-mac-into-the-ultimate-blu-ray-player.html

Selden
post #2806 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 07:07 PM

Thanks all for the replies on Serviio. I installed it a couple of days ago, set up the profile (there is a drop-down menu next to the Sony player's listing in Serviio's console where I chose the "Sony Sx100 (2013)" profile), locked it to my PC's LAN IP, and pointed it to my various media folders. And it worked! I watched a movie in .mkv format without issue -- even subtitles and FF/Rewind worked fine! And so much nicer looking than Netflix, clearly HD.

Problem is that since I've installed Serviio I've been getting the "blue screen" critical errors that freeze my whole computer, requiring me to hit the restart button. A few every day! I haven't seen one of those in a long time (over a year), but now they are regular, if seemingly random. I have watched two programs streamed through Serviio without problems, but I also got a "blue screen" in the middle of playback a few times yesterday. I haven't even turned on the Sony today to watch anything yet I've gotten 4 blue screens today. I am now typing this out in Safe Mode with Networking, since my PC will crash on me after a while when I boot into normal mode (Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64). I am going to try disabling the Serviio service from starting to see if that stops the crashes.

Seeing as how well Serviio works with my files through the S5100, I really want to keep it -- but I obviously cannot if it is the cause of all these hard crashes. (Will report back as I try to get it to work.)
post #2807 of 3058 Old 03-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Found out I needed a new DVD player to get 3D - I was happily surprised by the price when I got on Amazon! The streaming apps are great, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post

What is the best, most compatible, most stable, DLNA server to use with the S5100?

I have PLEX server on my computer previously to use with Roku - the Sony saw it and it works great, so far.

"It's an invention, and it makes Non-Stop Rocking possible!"
post #2808 of 3058 Old 03-22-2014, 02:52 PM

When I play a DVD in it, the AVR says the input is Left and Right, but the output is is PLII Cinema and going to all 5.1 speakers. The BluRay is hooked up to the AVR via HDMI Cable. Digital Audio Output is set to AUTO and Downmix is set to SURROUND. So why is my Monsters University DVD only outputting FR and FL (stereo) only?! Its a Denon X4000 AVR.
post #2809 of 3058 Old 03-22-2014, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaJune View Post

Thanks all for the replies on Serviio. I installed it a couple of days ago, set up the profile (there is a drop-down menu next to the Sony player's listing in Serviio's console where I chose the "Sony Sx100 (2013)" profile), locked it to my PC's LAN IP, and pointed it to my various media folders. And it worked! I watched a movie in .mkv format without issue -- even subtitles and FF/Rewind worked fine! And so much nicer looking than Netflix, clearly HD.

Problem is that since I've installed Serviio I've been getting the "blue screen" critical errors that freeze my whole computer, requiring me to hit the restart button. A few every day! I haven't seen one of those in a long time (over a year), but now they are regular, if seemingly random. I have watched two programs streamed through Serviio without problems, but I also got a "blue screen" in the middle of playback a few times yesterday. I haven't even turned on the Sony today to watch anything yet I've gotten 4 blue screens today. I am now typing this out in Safe Mode with Networking, since my PC will crash on me after a while when I boot into normal mode (Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64). I am going to try disabling the Serviio service from starting to see if that stops the crashes.

Seeing as how well Serviio works with my files through the S5100, I really want to keep it -- but I obviously cannot if it is the cause of all these hard crashes. (Will report back as I try to get it to work.)

Have a read of this

http://mattie47.com/windows-7-blue-screen-caused-by-ntoskrnl-exe-error-0x000000f4/
post #2810 of 3058 Old 03-22-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

You need turn off secondary audio mix. Otherwise it will try to decode into PCM but with Dolby tracks, you will only get 2-ch stereo.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #2811 of 3058 Old 03-23-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaJune View Post

A possibility is that you're encountering hardware problems that just happen to have started at the same time as the serviio installation. Overheating can do this, too. Make sure the computer's fans are all working.

Also, make sure that your computer's operating system is up to date with all of its patches, and install the most recent graphics driver available from the manufacturer of your computer. If that doesn't help, get the most recent graphics drivers from the manufacturer of your graphics card. (If you're running Windows, Microsoft usually does not provide up-to-date graphics drivers. Often, but not always, the drivers provided by the computer's manufacturer include modifications to make the graphics drivers work better with their hardware than the drivers provided by the manufacturer of the graphics hardware.)

Selden
post #2812 of 3058 Old 03-25-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

there was a new firmware update today when I turned on the 3100 today. not sure what it added/changed. Everything looks the same.
D Bone likes this.
post #2813 of 3058 Old 03-25-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

there was a new firmware update today when I turned on the 3100 today. not sure what it added/changed. Everything looks the same.

Same with my S5100 M15.R.0175 The only info I found online is:

Fixes:
- BRAVIA Internet Video playability

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #2814 of 3058 Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering if HDMI ports are bi-directional ? i was wondering if i could connect the sony player to the HDMI port on my macbook pro? I find the Retina display looks better then the TVs for many things color sharpness etc.
post #2815 of 3058 Old 03-25-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was wondering if HDMI ports are bi-directional ? i was wondering if i could connect the sony player to the HDMI port on my macbook pro? I find the Retina display looks better then the TVs for many things color sharpness etc.

HDMI is bi directional in that audio can be returned. Audio return channel, but that's not what you are asking.

You are asking if you mac book pro can use its HDMI output port as a input. I would say not.

Please move your mac and computer questions to other threads. This thread is for these Sony BDPs. It's not fair to others to continue to clutter this thread up with Mac and other computer discussions.
post #2816 of 3058 Old 03-25-2014, 01:58 PM

Liked: 11

I picked up a Sony BDPBX510 from Costco last night.  Easy hookup and setup and worked right out of the box.  Could be mistaken but the picture quality seems better than my PS3, but that could just be my bias because it's new and I WANT it to look better.

My only issue is about an hour in Star Trek: Into Darkness 3D (the Blu-ray that alerted me to the fact that the PS3 does not output Dolby TrueHD and 3D together), it froze for just a second and the lip sync was off about a half second.  This could just be the disc, but I never noticed it happening before.  Pausing it and unpausing it fixed the issue, and it never popped back up.  Is this a known issue at all, or just possibly a fluke?  

post #2817 of 3058 Old 03-25-2014, 05:17 PM

For the BDP-S5100 (same as BDP-BX510, I have an interesting question. I saw one initial reply saying that it could only find files on the first partition. 

1) If I attach an external usb drive, it plays all the files. 

2) One small usb hard drive (with one partition) it couldnt recognize it at all. OK

3) Attached 1tb western digital usb drive

a) created 8 partitions, couldn't find any playable content.

b) created 1 partition, fat32, it could play the files. 

c) created multiple partitions, made first one fat32 with video, it couldn't find any files on drive. 

It seems that if you create >1 partition, even if 1st partition has the video , it can't find it? 

Confirm? 

Thanks,

post #2818 of 3058 Old 03-25-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Can anyone here confirm that the 5100 has 3d streaming from Netflix? I'm pretty sure I read that it does but now I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Ed
post #2819 of 3058 Old 03-26-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Can anyone here confirm that the 5100 has 3d streaming from Netflix? I'm pretty sure I read that it does but now I'm not sure.

Thanks!

Ed

It sure does! I just watched "Flying Swords of Dragon Gate" (Excellent 3D) on Netflix streaming last week on the 5100 and an LG TV.
post #2820 of 3058 Old 03-26-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekparrot View Post

I picked up a Sony BDPBX510 from Costco last night.  Easy hookup and setup and worked right out of the box.  Could be mistaken but the picture quality seems better than my PS3, but that could just be my bias because it's new and I WANT it to look better.

My only issue is about an hour in Star Trek: Into Darkness 3D (the Blu-ray that alerted me to the fact that the PS3 does not output Dolby TrueHD and 3D together), it froze for just a second and the lip sync was off about a half second.  This could just be the disc, but I never noticed it happening before.  Pausing it and unpausing it fixed the issue, and it never popped back up.  Is this a known issue at all, or just possibly a fluke?  

Weird that the message would pop up about the PS3 while playing it on the BX510. But no advanced dolby codec playback is certainly a limitation of 3D BD playback on the PS3.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page