Official Sony BDP-S1100, BDP-S3100, BDP-S4100 and BDP-S5100 - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 3083 Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm running a Synology NAS and on it I have Plex Media Server and Serviio running. I can access them both from the S5100. I have better results with the Serviio as I haven't quite figured out how to properly configure PMS so that it can 'serve' the correct format to the S5100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post

I purchased the 5100 player over Christmas for our bedroom and have it connected to a Wired Ethernet connection. We also have a Synology NAS in another room that is also connected to the same network.

All of our Panasonic TV's and Oppo Blu-ray player can detect the following DLNA clients: Synology Media Server, Synology Logitech Squeezebox, Bell Connection Hub. However, the Sony 5100 only shows the Logitech Squeezebox & Bell Connection icons under Photo, Media, Video in the XBAR. For some reason, the Synology Media Server doesn't show up for me which means we can't access any of our video and pictures files on the Synology Server.

Has anyone experienced this issue or is anyone successfully accessing the Synology Media Server client from their Sony player?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 3083 Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 PM

I just bought a Sony BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Player, and I'm just curious about something.

The thing when playing DVD's so far makes my TV's input info (in this case, HDMI2) pop up every time it plays like a new trailer or goes into the menu, but not during changing scenes. Also when doing so a second of the clip is skipped (it's covered by the black screen when it shows the input).

I'm trying to figure out why that is. If anyone knows how to fix that, let me know.

My TV is the Philips 32PFL3506.

Edit: FIXED!!!

Turns out it was the DVD 24p option, I turned it off and it stopped doing that. Guess it was checking for compatibility each time.

post #2883 of 3083 Old 04-11-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalano View Post

I'm running a Synology NAS and on it I have Plex Media Server and Serviio running. I can access them both from the S5100. I have better results with the Serviio as I haven't quite figured out how to properly configure PMS so that it can 'serve' the correct format to the S5100.

Hi Catalano,

Have you ever tried to use the Synology Media Server from your Blu-ray? This is the DLNA server that isn't showing up for me.
post #2884 of 3083 Old 04-12-2014, 10:14 AM

Has anyone had any issues with the Sony 5100 introducing a lot of hum and noise to the system? Noticed on the beginning of Frozen (when the singing starts before the movie) that there is an audible hum that starts immediately when the soundtrack kicks in. Its not present from any other scenes or anything, so maybe its just on that part. But is this BD particularly 'noisy'? Im not talking about the massive amount of vibration the unit creates and vibrates through the whole cabinet....im talking specifically noise generated through the speaker system. Anyone had issues?
post #2885 of 3083 Old 04-13-2014, 07:48 PM

I have not tried using the Synology Media Server. I had asked a while back if anyone had done any type of feature comparison between that and Plex and Serviio. I didn't get any feedback. If I have some spare time one day I may configure it and give it a try. But right now I'm mostly using Serviio because it's been able to serve everything to the S5100 that I've tried.
Quote:

Hi Catalano,

Have you ever tried to use the Synology Media Server from your Blu-ray? This is the DLNA server that isn't showing up for me.
post #2886 of 3083 Old 04-14-2014, 07:21 AM

Just picked up the Costco version of the S5100 (BX510) a few days ago (it was only $80 some bucks and comes wtih an HDMI cable) and have been really disappointed so far.  Compared to the Samsung H5900 the build quality is scarey bad (although I'm one of the few who loves the design) and the controller seems extra cheap, feels creeky and looks silly (but the layout of the buttons is fine).    Comparably priced Samsung units have really solid, heavy, and nice looking remotes.  The way it was packaged really bothered me too because once you open the seal and start pulling out the player the power cord is packed behind another cardboard divider (no way to see this).  The power cord of my unit got tugged quite hard and moved away from the back of the unit a little bit.  

I like the familiar menu design from the PS3 and the app options, but I'm having trouble with Hulu, Crackle, Vudu, and sometimes Netflix looking grainy.  All the network logos on Hulu are grainy as well as a lot of the edges on peoples faces.  When watching Rudy on Vudu everything looks SD (even though on my Samsung H5900 Rudy looked HD).  I constantly have a 87% to 100% signal on the player and get a pretty constant 25 Mbps from my service provider.  When playing Blu-rays the picture also looks darker than any of my other players.  I've played around with settings and can't seem to find a fix.  I don't have a fancy setup just have the player plugged directly into my Samsung plasma. Could it possibly be the JAE HDMI cable included in the box?  Or a bad wi-fi chip?  Or is this just how the player looks? 

Since I got it at Costco I have a lot of time to find a fix before I'd have to return it.  Or else I'll probably just get Costco's version of the Samsung H5900 and hope Samsung updates the minimal app selection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post

Has anyone had any issues with the Sony 5100 introducing a lot of hum and noise to the system? Noticed on the beginning of Frozen (when the singing starts before the movie) that there is an audible hum that starts immediately when the soundtrack kicks in. Its not present from any other scenes or anything, so maybe its just on that part. But is this BD particularly 'noisy'? Im not talking about the massive amount of vibration the unit creates and vibrates through the whole cabinet....im talking specifically noise generated through the speaker system. Anyone had issues?

I have the same issue with the buzzing from my tv.  I wonder if it's the HDMI cable not having enough insulation?  Not a tech expert so don't know if that matters but I had a lot thicker HDMI cable on my other player without this problem.

post #2887 of 3083 Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I purchased the 5100 player over Christmas for our bedroom and have it connected to a Wired Ethernet connection. We also have a Synology NAS in another room that is also connected to the same network.

All of our Panasonic TV's and Oppo Blu-ray player can detect the following DLNA clients: Synology Media Server, Synology Logitech Squeezebox, Bell Connection Hub. However, the Sony 5100 only shows the Logitech Squeezebox & Bell Connection icons under Photo, Media, Video in the XBAR. For some reason, the Synology Media Server doesn't show up for me which means we can't access any of our video and pictures files on the Synology Server.

Has anyone experienced this issue or is anyone successfully accessing the Synology Media Server client from their Sony player?

Media Server > DMA Compatibility > Device List > Change 'Sony Corporation Blu-ray Disc Player' Device's Profile to "Generic DLNA"

post #2888 of 3083 Old 04-14-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's kind of funny, but my experience with Sony versus Samsung is completely reversed. I have owned 3 Samsung Blu-ray players and all three were trash. I am not exaggerating either. None of them streamed worth a damn, and none of them consistently played discs without crashing or freezing. On the other hand, I have bought two of these Sony's without a glitch. I should add that I have never used the enclosed cable on my Costco one as I use hi speed Monoprice hdmi cables.
mhobart likes this.
post #2889 of 3083 Old 04-14-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseven View Post

It's kind of funny, but my experience with Sony versus Samsung is completely reversed. I have owned 3 Samsung Blu-ray players and all three were trash. I am not exaggerating either. None of them streamed worth a damn, and none of them consistently played discs without crashing or freezing. On the other hand, I have bought two of these Sony's without a glitch. I should add that I have never used the enclosed cable on my Costco one as I use hi speed Monoprice hdmi cables.

I hear you on the Samsung streaming part.  Our older 2010 Samsung player can hardly load the apps to stream, but we can sometimes squeeze some programs out of it.  The bad performance of that unit is what caused me to get the S5100 (and the Samsung H5900 which I just returned because the Hulu app is suddenly unusable -- most likely Hulu's fault since it's not working well on a bunch of our devices including the S5100).  Costco advertises the included hdmi cable as high speed Sony brand but it's JAE brand.  I wonder if it's different from store to store?  I'll just try a different hdmi cable tonight and hope that helps the grainy/darkness issues.  I was using a highspeed Rocketfish hdmi on the Samsung and everything looked amazing (but I had to return that with the Samsung player to get a full refund).  Hopefully the hdmi cable fixes my issues being I can live with the low-end build quality.  I just expect more from Sony in that department.

post #2890 of 3083 Old 04-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Liked: 16
I can understand your expectations about Sony, but sadly, I think the idea of build quality has become an oxymoron. I think you have a decent shot with a new cable. Digital connectors can be a crap shoot. Good luck with it.
Muckle Dabuckle likes this.
post #2891 of 3083 Old 04-14-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 224
If you have a bad HDMI cable, you will get snowy picture (white pixels all over the screen), blank or no picture. It will not make subtle PQ changes,

As for streaming PQ, this player is very sensitive to internet connection quality. Any variation in connection speed will cause streaming app to jump to lower bandwidth stream. Even though you may have 25mbps speed connection sold by your ISP, the actual speed is never guarantee, especially when you goes out to the internet. For example, until Netflix setup peering with Comcast recently, a lot Comcast customers can barely get SD streams.
Muckle Dabuckle likes this.
post #2892 of 3083 Old 04-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

If you have a bad HDMI cable, you will get snowy picture (white pixels all over the screen), blank or no picture. It will not make subtle PQ changes,

As for streaming PQ, this player is very sensitive to internet connection quality. Any variation in connection speed will cause streaming app to jump to lower bandwidth stream. Even though you may have 25mbps speed connection sold by your ISP, the actual speed is never guarantee, especially when you goes out to the internet. For example, until Netflix setup peering with Comcast recently, a lot Comcast customers can barely get SD streams.

Hmmm....this is not good news if it's nothing I can fix.  I've actually never had trouble with Hulu or Vudu picture quality (just loading problems with Hulu) before on any other device, but was having the widespread problems with Netflix until their deal with Comcast.  So it sounds like it is the sensitivity of the S5100 connectivity (Hulu was so grainy last night on the player that we switched to our Wii U which streamed pefectly in HD).  I have only returned one electronic device in my life before two weeks ago when I bought the Samsung H5900.  If I return the Sony player that would be two Blu-ray players returned in two weeks.  Discouraging.

Edit: I tried a different hdmi cable for giggles and it didn't help anything.  The one that came with the player was a little corroded on the metal connectors and had some glue on them too...apparently that doesn't matter.  I changed my tv output options in the settings menu to 1080p instead of auto, didn't help.  My router has the latest firmware too and everything is still pretty grainy while streaming (not horrible, but definitely not HD).  So, yeah. It must be the sensitivity of the wi-fi.  I'm not sure how that works but if I go from 25 Mbps to 21 Mbps does the player "panic" and produce a grainy SD picture?  Sad to say I'm going to have to return the unit.  The only other options at my Costco are the Samsung H5900 and Panasonic T230 equivalents. 

post #2893 of 3083 Old 04-15-2014, 10:52 AM

Liked: 11
One of the best things I did that increased the P/Q and made streaming work better is to set a static ip on your blueray and then go to your router and set that address up on DMZ so there is no filtering on it. After doing this I have a quicker connection to Netflix and it streams at a steady 16meg rate with no dropouts..

Rotting my brain one movie at a time!

Sony 55A3000

Sony 5100 BD

Mitsu 73837

post #2894 of 3083 Old 04-15-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedklz View Post

One of the best things I did that increased the P/Q and made streaming work better is to set a static ip on your blueray and then go to your router and set that address up on DMZ so there is no filtering on it. After doing this I have a quicker connection to Netflix and it streams at a steady 16meg rate with no dropouts..

I'd love a technical explanation of why this could work. Everything I know about networking says this should make no difference at all.
post #2895 of 3083 Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Not if you have a really crappy router that is slow to do its routing and packet filtering.
post #2896 of 3083 Old 04-15-2014, 03:08 PM

I have a brand new Netgear Nighthawk router with QOS and new Motorola Surfboard modem that seem to work exceptionally well on every device but my new Sony BX510.  My firmware is updated on the player and router.  I've reset the player and tried different hdmi cables.  Not sure what else I can try.  I wouldn't know how to change the more advanced options on my router without reading up on it.  The sad thing is I never lose connection to the Internet it is just really poor picture quality on every streaming app (but Netflix and Vudu  and Berliner Philharmoniker look better than the others).  While watching the Sony Videos Unlimited app I never dipped below 21 Mbps and it still didn't look that great.  Even my crappy 4 year old Samsung blu-ray player has great picture quality while streaming after the app menus decide to load.  Maybe I just need my eyes checked?  :D

post #2897 of 3083 Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 PM

I still need help with my S4100 when playing stereo (Audio CDs, files, Youtube...) I tried Audio Rush 5.1 decoder and Sony DE-443 receiver - the sound is stuttering, no difference. The cable is Atlona coax 7m.

post #2898 of 3083 Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 AM

Liked: 11
Bdp-s5100 & sony tv side view

Hi,

Does the sony tv side view app on ipad display the file content of the usb drive when connected to thr s5100?

Would like to use as a stand alone music player without the tv display.

Thanks
post #2899 of 3083 Old 04-22-2014, 11:55 AM

Hi,

I have been eyeing a few Blu-Ray players for quite some time and have been leaning towards the BDP-S3100. The others I have been looking at are: BDP-S5100, Panasonic DMP-BDT230, Samsung BD-F5900. The reasons I narrowed it down to these is because I can get them for ~60-70 bucks on ebay and they all have Netflix/Amazon video. I would mainly use it for Blu-ray movies (duh) and USB video playback so I would like it to be able to play all video types (mkv, avi, mp4,etc) with no codec/audio issues. I don't really need things like 3D or streaming media from a PC or features of that nature. I'd prefer a quick-ish interface as my parents have an LG BD670 and it is a pretty clunky interface to navigate. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RS
post #2900 of 3083 Old 04-22-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms09 View Post

Hi,

I have been eyeing a few Blu-Ray players for quite some time and have been leaning towards the BDP-S3100. The others I have been looking at are: BDP-S5100, Panasonic DMP-BDT230, Samsung BD-F5900. The reasons I narrowed it down to these is because I can get them for ~60-70 bucks on ebay and they all have Netflix/Amazon video. I would mainly use it for Blu-ray movies (duh) and USB video playback so I would like it to be able to play all video types (mkv, avi, mp4,etc) with no codec/audio issues. I don't really need things like 3D or streaming media from a PC or features of that nature. I'd prefer a quick-ish interface as my parents have an LG BD670 and it is a pretty clunky interface to navigate. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RS
The main difference between the 3100 and 5100 is the latter does 3D and has a front panel display.

Panasonic plays virtually no video files, so that's out.

Sony won't do divx (common for avi) without you editing the file to make it look like xvid.

Samsung and LG play lots of file formats but can have other issues.

So pick your poison. I personally think Sony has the best feature set and performance for the money at the moment, but it can't do everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2901 of 3083 Old 04-22-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Or get a BD player to play BD titles and get a media player, like from Popcorn Hour and Dune, to play media files.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #2902 of 3083 Old 04-22-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 399
agree with aaronwt BR for BR playback, media player for media file playback.....
post #2903 of 3083 Old 04-22-2014, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the input. I'll look into the media player options as well and get the s3100.

RS
post #2904 of 3083 Old 04-22-2014, 10:45 PM

Purchased a BD S5100 about 3 months ago. It's been working like a champ but today it stop loading BDs and DVDs. it just flashes "loading" and then says it can't load the disc. I can hear it clicking. Anyone else seen this is issue? I've reset the player and updated the firmware.
post #2905 of 3083 Old 04-23-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmccBD View Post

Purchased a BD S5100 about 3 months ago. It's been working like a champ but today it stop loading BDs and DVDs. it just flashes "loading" and then says it can't load the disc. I can hear it clicking. Anyone else seen this is issue? I've reset the player and updated the firmware.

You may want to try cleaning the lens, if the lens is covered with dust somehow, the player cannot read the disc, and causes a hang up.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #2906 of 3083 Old 04-23-2014, 02:26 PM

Liked: 41
I want to attach an external hard drive of my kids' favorite cartoons in MP4 format (Clone Wars, Avengers, Super Hero Squad, etc.) that they can access using the S5100 XMB interface.

*I am doing this because I don't want them handling the physical discs anymore.*

What is the best way to do this after I've ripped to MP4?

a.) Single hard drive attached via USB

b.) JBOD enclosure attached via USB (old 4-bay icydock)

c.) Bypass s5100 and AirPlay from my Mac to ATV2

TIA!

Pioneer PDP-5071HD, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Denon 3311CI, Oppo BDP-93, Emotiva XPA-5, Definitive Mythos ST, Mythos 8, Gem XL, SVS SB-13 Ultra
post #2907 of 3083 Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Hey all I'm posting here to get some feedback. I've taken some time to collect my thoughts and get a good idea of what I want to do for a home media network.

I have gotten some more equipment add to the home server. I have decided not to dedicate my portable as a server. A friend of mine was getting rid of his old hp desktops and I fixed one up as a linux media server. I finished setting up Serviio on it today and have it working with the sony players and roku.. What I would like to know is what are my options? I know i have the sony playlers that can use serviio and that's working well. I also have XBMC working with the sony players as far as streaming and it works as a nice media hub directly on the server itself. I can play blu-ray from iso on XBMC but of course no menus. does sony support streaming BD iso files have i already set up as much as i can to take advantage of the sony players as far as streamers? One of the reasons I decided to go this route was because the bdp s590 acted like it had died then a factory reset brought it back, it wouldn't stream anything and gave network errors while it was still connected as check for firmware updates still worked. the 3100 didn't have this issue.

Anyway the sony seems to be working ok now.

Anyway thanks again i'm trying to do my own research and find other ways to get answers. I don't like jumping all over forums to try to find answers. I like as few sources as possible so its less confusing.

anyway thanks for all the help i've gotten for the last few years. if anyone can help at this point i'd appreciate it, thanks smile.gif
post #2908 of 3083 Old 04-24-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Unfortunately, the studios don't want people to be able to play ISOs (apparently they think that it would make piracy too easy), so that functionality is unavailable in current Blu-ray players. Firmware updates have removed it from many previous-generation players, too. As a result, still running older firmware is a selling point for some previous-generation Oppo players.

Selden
post #2909 of 3083 Old 04-24-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Unfortunately, the studios don't want people to be able to play ISOs (apparently they think that it would make piracy too easy), so that functionality is unavailable in current Blu-ray players. Firmware updates have removed it from many previous-generation players, too. As a result, still running older firmware is a selling point for some previous-generation Oppo players.

I can play the iso directly on the server, however it's not like the disc in a stand alone player, it only plays the video files "m2t" so the actual menus don't activate. I did some research and it seems to be because it requires a java license that people don't want to pay, in fact the only blu-ray software that seems to play the full disc is windows only. mac os x and linux seem to be limited to titles only. so it sounds like for the time being in order to play the full disc i'm stuck with using the physical disc in a stand alone hardware player.

The other reason i was looking forward to a computer is because the set top boxes have so many limitations to the firmware, and in the case of sony they make you buy a new player each year if you want new features which are easily added for free in an os upgrade on a computer.. Anyway thanks. I'll keep digging, i've gotten amazon instant video and netflix working and even netflix with XBMC working. so maybe i'll be able to eventually dig something up and report back.
post #2910 of 3083 Old 04-25-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

I can play the iso directly on the server, however it's not like the disc in a stand alone player, it only plays the video files "m2t" so the actual menus don't activate. I did some research and it seems to be because it requires a java license that people don't want to pay, in fact the only blu-ray software that seems to play the full disc is windows only. mac os x and linux seem to be limited to titles only. so it sounds like for the time being in order to play the full disc i'm stuck with using the physical disc in a stand alone hardware player.

The other reason i was looking forward to a computer is because the set top boxes have so many limitations to the firmware, and in the case of sony they make you buy a new player each year if you want new features which are easily added for free in an os upgrade on a computer.. Anyway thanks. I'll keep digging, i've gotten amazon instant video and netflix working and even netflix with XBMC working. so maybe i'll be able to eventually dig something up and report back.

You can always get one of the older media players that has full BD menu Playback. I still have one from Popcorn hour and one from Netgear. But I typically only use them when I play back my TV show BD ISOs.

The newer media players don't have full BD menu playback because to have that license now means they need to support Cinavia. And if they supported Cinavia then you wouldn't be able to play back many of the ripped BD titles which would defeat the purpose of the media player.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S1100 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page