AVS Forum banner
507K views 3K replies 565 participants last post by  AVfile 
#1 ·
New players for 2013 will be BDP-S5100, BDP-S3100 and BDP-S1100. In the UK there is also a BDP-S4100.

USA pricing info:

BDP-S5100 $139

BDP-S3100 $119

BDP-S1100 $89

S790 continues into 2013.

Amazon page for the BDP-S5100.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S5100-Blu-ray-Player-Wi-Fi/dp/B00AWKC0JM

and for the BDP-S3100
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S3100-Blu-ray-Player-Wi-Fi/dp/B00AWKC0EC

and for the BDP-S1100
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S1100-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/dp/B00AWX6EYQ

Specs (info sourced from Sony direct with end user input).

BDP-S5100:

3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi

Highlights:

Support:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS5100&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab

BDP-S3100:

Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi

Highlights

Support:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS3100&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

BDP-S1100

Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi

Highlights

Support:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS1100&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab

Differences between the 3 players (Courtesy of Sony)

A few things to note with this "base player", BDP-S1100

No WI-FI. Wired Ethernet only.

Does NOT support DLNA.

There is NO internet browser

Does NOT support Super Audio CD

There is NO analog video or audio outputs whatsoever.

There is only one USB input (on the front of the player)

There is only one digital audio output which is COAXIAL.

The 3100 adds:

WI-FI support (2.4GHz)

Internet Browser with Opera TV store

DLNA support

Gracenote "lookup" support

TV Sideview Android and iPhone App support

The 5100 adds:

3D support.

Extra USB port in rear

SACD Support

File support (DLNA)

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD123  /t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100#post_22802382

Decisions, decisions. Should I but the S790 now or wait? LOL Ive been sitting on Sony gift cards ready to purchase and then they throw new players in the mix. I'm not a big fan of that funny top design...Any one else like it?

The s790 is a great player (see owners thread). If you're only interested in BDs and DVDs the 790 should satisfy your needs just fine.

However if you're interested in streaming and IPTV services then its possible Sony have overhauled some of these services with these new players. The amazon and Hulu plus user interfaces on the older players needs overhauling. The new 2nd screen tablet app looks interesting too but quite honestly since the 390, 590 and 790 were a significant improvement over previous years ... Therefore these new players are going to need to pull something out the hat to provide a compelling reason to purchase or upgrade ... And right now nothing is springing out.

#5 ·
Interesting information, I am also on the fence about buying an S790. The dual core CPU on the S790 supposedly provides much more responsive internet apps like Netflix and Hulu, etc.

#6 ·
#7 ·
did anyone ever compare the user interface responsiveness in the main UI and the apps of the S590 to the S790 ?

I just bought a panasonic BDT220 and the UI is so sluggish Im gonna take it back. Im super surprised none of the rave reviews for the 220 mention this.

Second question: will the S3100 and S5100 have updated CPUs that are still faster than the S790 ?

cheers

meike

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meike Herget  /t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100#post_22920342

did anyone ever compare the user interface responsiveness in the main UI and the apps of the S590 to the S790 ?

I just bought a panasonic BDT220 and the UI is so sluggish Im gonna take it back. Im super surprised none of the rave reviews for the 220 mention this.

Second question: will the S3100 and S5100 have updated CPUs that are still faster than the S790 ?

cheers

meike

I have both the 590 and 790 and I can't notice any difference in UI responsiveness. Disk loading times maybe slightly improved on the 790.

Sony hasn't released specifics on the 3100 and 5100 CPUs. It's possible the new players may get a new UI anyway as rumors are swirling Sony are finally saying goodbye to the XMB. The new 2013 Bravia TVs are using a new UI for 2013.

#11 ·
#12 ·
tried the panasonic bdt220 and the sony 590. the panasonic user interface is such a sluggish lagging disaster! I have no idea how it got all those good reviews. I returned it the same day.

the sony S590 interface is super fast and functional. the way you would expect it.

so I cant wait for the bdp-s5100. I hope it will blow us away!!

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbahotep  /t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100#post_22929079

tried the panasonic bdt220 and the sony 590. the panasonic user interface is such a sluggish lagging disaster! I have no idea how it got all those good reviews. I returned it the same day.

the sony S590 interface is super fast and functional. the way you would expect it.

so I cant wait for the bdp-s5100. I hope it will blow us away!!

Talk about exaggeration and hyperbole. Yes, there is a slight delay, since the UI is so pretty, but it's in the order of a couple of a tenths of a second. It may take you a second to a second and a half longer to get to the second layer of a menu for streaming options, but to call it a 'lagging disaster' is more a reflection of a lazy troll than a reflection of reality.

You couldn't even time the "lag" properly since it is so slight.

Anyway, I'm here to report that I am using my panasonic blu ray player almost exclusively as opposed to the sony. If you want to talk about "serious" lag, then you will be interested to note the panasonic is MUCH faster to load blu rays, twice as fast on average, than the sony. Therefore, it's more accurate to call the sony a "lagging, sluggish disaster" than the panasonic, although the label is equally inappropriate in both cases.

#14 ·

Quote:
You couldn't even time the "lag" properly since it is so slight.

Well, Im not out to styart a flame war here. On the BDT220 it took me 5-6 seconds to load the app menu (which is a usability disaster) and 30 - 45 seconds to start Netflix or Amazon via LAN (mine is really fast) not wifi. BD loading took 30 seconds, which I guess is standard with BluRay.

So I don't think that's acceptable in 2013...

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbahotep  /t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100#post_22932027

Well, Im not out to styart a flame war here. On the BDT220 it took me 5-6 seconds to load the app menu (which is a usability disaster) and 30 - 45 seconds to start Netflix or Amazon via LAN (mine is really fast) not wifi. BD loading took 30 seconds, which I guess is standard with BluRay.

So I don't think that's acceptable in 2013...

facepalm.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607  /t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100#post_22929057

It will ... But if its anything like last year expect to see it on the Sony USA store very soon.

Sony created a page for the BDP-S1100 today. Tick tock, the others will be following soon. I notice in the specs it says XMB: Yes.
Figured we would get a overhaul this year ... but maybe not.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666519655#features

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt  /t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100#post_22931996

Talk about exaggeration and hyperbole. Yes, there is a slight delay, since the UI is so pretty,

You know what they say ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

There is a big architecture difference between Sony players and Panasonic's. Panasonic require you to load the Viera connect application in order to get to apps, unless you use the shortcuts on the remote control. Sony allow app access directly from the XMB, and dont require loading a platform to get to the apps.

#19 ·
To early adopt the S-5100 or not????

I'm in the market for an advanced player and was leaning towards Oppo, but the price is...well, I'm sure you know. Panny BDT 320 or 500, maybe? Somebody pointed me to the BDP-S790 - NICE!...but, not available in Canada
So, started looking at the S590. Pretty decent features, prices coming down, seems like it could work.

Then, this morning, I checked up on my credit card rewards points and saw that one of the rewards I can get is the S5100 - FREE GRATIS! So, being thrifty, I am really leaning towards this now, but considering it is brand new, I worry that I will be plagued with problems of the early adopter.

But FREE??? How can I pass that up on a unit like this??

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011  /t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100#post_22934496

To early adopt the S-5100 or not????

I'm in the market for an advanced player and was leaning towards Oppo, but the price is...well, I'm sure you know. Panny BDT 320 or 500, maybe? Somebody pointed me to the BDP-S790 - NICE!...but, not available in Canada
So, started looking at the S590. Pretty decent features, prices coming down, seems like it could work.

Then, this morning, I checked up on my credit card rewards points and saw that one of the rewards I can get is the S5100 - FREE GRATIS! So, being thrifty, I am really leaning towards this now, but considering it is brand new, I worry that I will be plagued with problems of the early adopter.

But FREE??? How can I pass that up on a unit like this??

I wouldn't be too bothered about early adopter with these players. These are just iterations over last years model, rather than a complete redesign. The more info that comes out, its looking more and more likely that there isn't much changed over last years 590.

Where are you able to purchase the 5100 ?

#21 ·
The BDP-S1100 is now available to pre-order for $89 from Sony online. Ships out on the 17th Feb. A competitive price for the entry level player.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666519655

We should see the S3100 later this month, with the S5100 in early March.

Its interesting to see the Sony are finally admitting that VC-1 encoded video can be played in a M2TS container (over DLNA and USB) ... well be knew that Sony .... you have that on the 2012 players ;-)

VC1 (.m2ts, .mts) : Yes (BD, DVD, CD, USB)

A few things to note with this "base player", BDP-S1100

No WI-FI. Wired Ethernet only.

Does NOT support DLNA.

There is NO internet browser

Does NOT support Super Audio CD

There is NO analog video or audio outputs whatsoever.

There is only one USB input (on the front of the player)

There is only one digital audio output which is COAXIAL.

The 3100 adds:

WI-FI support (2.4GHz)

Internet Browser with Opera TV store

DLNA support

Gracenote "lookup" support

TV Sideview Android and iPhone App support

The 5100 adds:

3D support.

Extra USB port in rear

SACD Support

#24 ·
slap me twice and hand me to me mama!

I gotta get one of these I just got the S1000ES (used obviously) recently upgrade from s360 and the picture quality on some movies when enhancer is on full +3 is amazing for example bugs life looks like its in 3D! I'm not exaggerating of course you have to have a mid to high end display to pair with it I was surprised to see not many people on this website were interested in the S1000ES judging by the thread

before I got S1000ES I bought the OPPO 103 to see what all the fuss is about I was disappointed the picture quality didn't seem that much different then my s360 so I returned it looks like a cable/sat box but to some that's well built

I couldn't care less about online apps I got my laptop connected to my tv for that who wants to type with a remote control ha...

#26 ·