General question from a newbie - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't have the Sony model designated for this section (mine is a BDP-S185) but I didn't see a section for that. Since my question is not technically specific to this model, I hope you don't mind me throwing it out here.

As mentioned I have a Sony BDP-S185 Blu-Ray player. It is hooked up per the instructions with HDMI cables through a Sony HT-CT150 sound bar/sub and then on to a 60" Sharp Aquos LC-60LE600U. It's my first venture into the world of HD TV and so far have been thrilled. Love the picture and the sound.

My question relates to Blu-Ray discs/players. I don't know if I simply held too high of expectations having never owned a Blu-Ray player and HD TV before. When I play a Blu-Ray movie the picture is equivalent to a HD channel on cable, MAYBE slightly better. I had throught, perhaps incorrectly, that Blu-Ray images were like the ultimate for clarity and sharpness, etc. Don't get me wrong, I still feel the picture is great (from my limited experience perspective) - but is this typical? Is the picture quality of Blu-Ray movies generally equivalent to the HD channel feed from my cable provider?

Secondly, is there a significant variance in picture quality from movie to movie on Blu-Ray? For example, there's a big difference between one music album and another depending on the producer, recording engineer, etc even though they may all be released on mp3. Is there a similar dynamic with movies?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Yes and yes. Yes, PQ will be similar to slightly better than movies on HD channels, depending on how much compression that channel adds. And yes, some movies are mastered better than others, just like music CDs.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-12-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Here's a thread dedicated to discussion of PQ for blu ray titles:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/858316/the-new-pq-tier-thread-for-blu-ray-discussion/19800#post_22658354

Just as not all dvd's are of the same picture quality, neither are blu rays.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #4 of 4 Old 01-13-2013, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
This old thread (from searching) covers the salient points very nicely as starter (you have a lot more reading to do about PQ if you are so inclined):
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1219738/bd-vs-cable-hd

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S185 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S185 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page