Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1651 Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I see where a few of you have come from the Ayre cx-7e cdp to the 105 with no regrets.
I'm wondering if any of you had your Ayre's upgraded with the 'MP' filter??

Unfortunatly at the same time I got my Oppo 105, my Anthem D2 died. Because of finances I sold my Ayre cx-7eMP to help afford an Integra 80.3 to replace the D2, so I was not able to do a fair comparison in my system.
I had used the cx7-e with my system for a year or so before I upgraded to the MP, and was pleasantly impressed with the improvement that the MP filter made.

I guess I'm wondering if the Oppo 105 has incorporated a similar filter to Ayre's MP ( I think meridian had a similar filter in their cdp's) that Charles Hanson developed for Ayre?? Or if it is even able with its hardware to do it. There is a white paper on the Ayre website that explains the MP filter and how it removes pre- and post-ringing of the digital signal much better than I can, and I really don't know how it works so I don't know if its even possible to upgrade the 105 with an 'MP' type filter, but if it could I would be interested in getting it.

Has anyone here done a head to head with the 105 vs an Ayre with the MP upgrade??

Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1651 Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
^^^^^
Have you compared the DACs in the 80.3 to the 105 for 2 channel? I have the DHC 80.3 and was told by Oppo and others to just get the 103 unless using a computer to feed music via USB. Part of that is wondering how good the analog section is on the 80.3 and I am guessing the Anthem was pretty good in that regard. If I use HDMI2 to feed the DHC 80.3 no difference between 103 or 105. But if XLR or RCA on stereo then how does the 105 do with the 80.3?

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #273 of 1651 Old 02-24-2013, 10:49 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post Crossover frequency? I was crossing over at 60HZ but bumped it up to 80HZ. Frequency sweep disc revealed no crossover gaps or humps. How about you?

Front Channels: three B&W 800 Diamonds powered by monoblock Classé CA-M600 crossover at 40HZ 

Surround Channels: Four B&W802D powered by Classé CA-5200 crossover at 80HZ

That way the subs takes the load off from the surround channels

If I can sell the BDP-95 I will make the move to the 105.

post #274 of 1651 Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

I see where a few of you have come from the Ayre cx-7e cdp to the 105 with no regrets.
I'm wondering if any of you had your Ayre's upgraded with the 'MP' filter??

Unfortunatly at the same time I got my Oppo 105, my Anthem D2 died. Because of finances I sold my Ayre cx-7eMP to help afford an Integra 80.3 to replace the D2, so I was not able to do a fair comparison in my system.
I had used the cx7-e with my system for a year or so before I upgraded to the MP, and was pleasantly impressed with the improvement that the MP filter made.

I guess I'm wondering if the Oppo 105 has incorporated a similar filter to Ayre's MP ( I think meridian had a similar filter in their cdp's) that Charles Hanson developed for Ayre?? Or if it is even able with its hardware to do it. There is a white paper on the Ayre website that explains the MP filter and how it removes pre- and post-ringing of the digital signal much better than I can, and I really don't know how it works so I don't know if its even possible to upgrade the 105 with an 'MP' type filter, but if it could I would be interested in getting it.

Has anyone here done a head to head with the 105 vs an Ayre with the MP upgrade??

Tom

My Ayre is just the basic CX-7 most people who got the upgrades reckoned like yourself that the improvements were obvious.

I think you could guess on that basis they would be close in performance-I think you've got to give credit for Oppo for what their machine is doing for the money. It is bringing a lot of other features to the table. I would doubt it has the same filter.

I think there may be some aspects of the Oppo's tone and presentation that won't be to everybody' s taste but it is certainly is a vey good standard stereo player-some people are hearing some problems in their system for sure but you surely must have some idea of the differences in what you are hearing? Sure two components have changed now so how does it sound?
post #275 of 1651 Old 02-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by diononiz View Post

In comparsion:

Soundstage is much larger with the NAD
Voice sound more realistic and are sharply in the center of the speakers
Hear more detail and subtle nuances in the music

The oppo is good for a universal player but personally I found the sound a bit flat.

Please don't be offended, but the first thing that comes to mind reading a report like this is that there's some sort of simple setup error.

Some things to check:

1) Confirm that DTS Neo:6 Mode is OFF. Turning it on rate limits the digital portion of the audio path, so you should only turn it on when you really want to use it.

2) Go to the Stereo Signal setting and toggle it to the alternate setting and back to make sure you've not been bitten by the bug which causes the opposite choice to be used to what you thought you had selected.

3) If the problem arises during SACD listening, check both SACD Output DSD and SACD Output PCM. If the problem only happens with the DSD choice then you may be relying on Speaker Configuration settings that can not function during DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion. (*NO* Audio processing is possible in the player while doing that.)

4) If using the XLR outputs, check that you don't have the wrong choice for the XLR Terminal Polarity setting.

5) For multi-channel listening, check your speaker and subwoofer volume trims using a calibration disc -- i.e., the LPCM test tracks from AIX Calibration, Blu-ray. Pay particular attention to the Subwoofer level as the correct setting for the Sub's own volume knob may very well be different from what worked best with your other player.

6) While you are at it, use the AIX disc to double-check speaker wiring polarity for pairs of speakers and run the Crossover test sweep to see if your bass management is producing a clean transition from mains to Sub for the lower frequencies. Since things are working well with your other player, there are UNLIKELY to be problems here unless you have a miss-wired cable you are using with the OPPO or haven't adjusted the Crossover yet.

Again, this is not to discount your report, but when I see a report of subjective quality problems, the first thing that comes to MY mind is to make sure there isn't something silly going on confusing what you are hearing.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #276 of 1651 Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM

Liked: 10
I've been putting the oppo 105 through its paces for a couple of weeks now. My system, prior to the oppo, consisted of a Rega DAC, Rega Apollo R, Rega Brio R, a panasonic blu-ray player, PSB T2 speakers, and (yes) a Rega RP3 turntable. I tend to favor DH Silver speaker wire and interconnects. I handle music streaming through a Sonos connect connected to the integrated, although I also ran it through the DAC.

My experience is that the the Oppo was in many ways equal or superior to the Apollo R, and that for integrating with the Sonos, its DAC did a better job than the Rega DAC...which is an oustanding DAC but more focused on high sample rate computer files than lower sample rate internet radio.

In all cases, I found the imaging, base, and smoothness of the Oppo to be quite delightful for both redbook CD and streamed music. I have since sold the apollo R and rega DAC. The Rega integrated is a piece I may never get rid of though....an oustanding integrated if you are interested in two channel audio.

The only nits I have to pick with the oppo are that it is a bit cumbersome to switch digital inputs on its DAC if one does not have a TV on, and the display is annoying when playing music...it starts to flash about a screen saver. Weird. In terms sound quality and simplifying my life, however, its great....
post #277 of 1651 Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

I believe that would depend on a number of things......... which unit (105 or the processor) has better DACs and the corresponding topology in the audio circuitry. Also, if you go analog out from the oppo and then run your ARC in the pre-pro, you are adding more steps to the audio path than what are deemed "good". In essence, you would be running the signal through the DACs in the 105 only to again have the signal converted back to digital in the pre-pro for the ARC function and then have the pre-pro re-convert the signal back to analog. Too many steps in the chain and if ARC is something that is really important to you, you should just run HDMI to your pre-pro avoiding that extra DAC conversion.

Just my 2 centavos amigo

Wouldn't you be using the Pre-Pro DAC, or maybe I'm not acquainted with your equipment. I haven't found any prepro that has a better DAC within reason. I 'm not liking going through another DAC either.
Oppo needs to put an ARC in their system, to make us happy. Does anyone know if ARC comes before or after DAC or is it combined?
post #278 of 1651 Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbort View Post

. . . .

The only nits I have to pick with the oppo are that it is a bit cumbersome to switch digital inputs on its DAC if one does not have a TV on, and the display is annoying when playing music...it starts to flash about a screen saver. Weird. In terms sound quality and simplifying my life, however, its great....

The OPPO Screen Saver can be disabled in Setup if you prefer.

A shortcut for changing Inputs is to press the Input button followed by a digit. Such as Input-3. That will immediately select that line from the Input list pop-up.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #279 of 1651 Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

^^^^^
Have you compared the DACs in the 80.3 to the 105 for 2 channel? I have the DHC 80.3 and was told by Oppo and others to just get the 103 unless using a computer to feed music via USB. Part of that is wondering how good the analog section is on the 80.3 and I am guessing the Anthem was pretty good in that regard. If I use HDMI2 to feed the DHC 80.3 no difference between 103 or 105. But if XLR or RCA on stereo then how does the 105 do with the 80.3?

Interesting, I just asked Oppo a similar question regarding the Denon 4520. I am getting ready to upgrade to either a 103 or 105, with most playback being used for home theater with Audyssey (so the Sabre DAC would be bypassed anyway). I believe the Integra and Denon both have the same 32-bit Burr Brown PCM1795 DACs. My main concern would be SACD/music playback bitstreamed to the Denon vs the 105 Sabre DAC quality. Here was their response:

I imagine that the Burr Brown DAC in your Denon is pretty comparable to the Sabre DAC that we use, but it's nearly impossible to discern the sound quality of any given DAC based on its paper specifications.

Choosing between the BDP-103 and BDP-105 basically boils down to this: if you want to connect our players to the rest of your equipment using analog RCA cables, I would go with the BDP-105 to take advantage of its higher-quality DAC; if you are primarily going to connect via HDMI, then I would just get the BDP-103.

Given that 95% of your use of the player will be home theater viewing, I think the BDP-103 is probably the better choice.

Thanks,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
post #280 of 1651 Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post Interesting, I just asked Oppo a similar question regarding the Denon 4520. I am getting ready to upgrade to either a 103 or 105, with most playback being used for home theater with Audyssey (so the Sabre DAC would be bypassed anyway). I believe the Integra and Denon both have the same 32-bit Burr Brown PCM1795 DACs. My main concern would be SACD/music playback bitstreamed to the Denon vs the 105 Sabre DAC quality. Here was their response:

I imagine that the Burr Brown DAC in your Denon is pretty comparable to the Sabre DAC that we use, but it's nearly impossible to discern the sound quality of any given DAC based on its paper specifications.

Choosing between the BDP-103 and BDP-105 basically boils down to this: if you want to connect our players to the rest of your equipment using analog RCA cables, I would go with the BDP-105 to take advantage of its higher-quality DAC; if you are primarily going to connect via HDMI, then I would just get the BDP-103.

Given that 95% of your use of the player will be home theater viewing, I think the BDP-103 is probably the better choice.

Thanks,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043

This is a truly honest company, when do you see a firm telling you that for your needs the cheaper product is best!

Oppo rules :)

post #281 of 1651 Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM

Would anyone give up their prepro if the BDP-105 had ARC? I was trying to find out what else I would need apart from ARC on the BDP-105.
post #282 of 1651 Old 02-25-2013, 11:55 AM

Liked: 11
Though it may seem counter-productive to many, suggest those of you with the 8801 and the Oppo-105 and other quality dacs, try outputting from these dacs to the Marantz on analog input and utilizing Audyssey for correction via stereo and via one of the MC features like DTS. I have resisted additional A-D conversion in the past. However, I did some playing around with my Modwright Transporter via Stereo, Direct, and Pure Direct from the Optical output of the Transporter to the Marantz AV-8801 and then tried via analog out from the Modwright Transporter to the 8801. To me, selecting the analog input with Audyssey was the superior presentation, seemingly retaining that richer, fuller flavor of the tube output from the MW Transporter, but with excellent detail and very balanced speaker sound, especially the bass. My perception was digital signal in had more possible detail, but not as enjoyable. Direct and Pure Direct really showed the advantage of the Audyssey correction, most particularly the bass. I then tried the DTS matrixing on the analog 2-channel input from the MW Transporter. I liked it a great deal as well. I tried this in both Cinema and Music settings. I altered both with a bit less center emphasis via the Surround settings. I ran Audyssey with Flat setting, EQ off, and Dynamic Volume Off. I also use some Kaplan after market power cords both on the Marantz and the MW Transporter.

I know many will outright reject using an additional A-D conversion or not directly using their dac output. To me it was an experiment that gave me very satisfactory results. I may be misunderstanding what happened or not characterizing correctly, but it appears to me the upstream analog output to the 8801 does have an effect even when run through A-D and D-A again and may retain sound characteristics of the original source. All I am asking is to try it and see how it works for you and if any similar results.

Will
post #283 of 1651 Old 02-25-2013, 01:05 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoray View Post Would anyone give up their prepro if the BDP-105 had ARC? I was trying to find out what else I would need apart from ARC on the BDP-105.

Who knows if Oppo incorporates Audyssey Multi EQ64 :)

Then I will ditch my SSP-800 until then.

post #284 of 1651 Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoray View Post

Would anyone give up their prepro if the BDP-105 had ARC? I was trying to find out what else I would need apart from ARC on the BDP-105.

The way the Oppo seems to be evolving, I would not be surprised if it becomes the all-in-one device to take on a processor. Headphone amp and HDMI inputs were the first ingenious step to this.
post #285 of 1651 Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Gibbons View Post

Though it may seem counter-productive to many, suggest those of you with the 8801 and the Oppo-105 and other quality dacs, try outputting from these dacs to the Marantz on analog input and utilizing Audyssey for correction via stereo and via one of the MC features like DTS. I have resisted additional A-D conversion in the past. However, I did some playing around with my Modwright Transporter via Stereo, Direct, and Pure Direct from the Optical output of the Transporter to the Marantz AV-8801 and then tried via analog out from the Modwright Transporter to the 8801. To me, selecting the analog input with Audyssey was the superior presentation, seemingly retaining that richer, fuller flavor of the tube output from the MW Transporter, but with excellent detail and very balanced speaker sound, especially the bass. My perception was digital signal in had more possible detail, but not as enjoyable. Direct and Pure Direct really showed the advantage of the Audyssey correction, most particularly the bass. I then tried the DTS matrixing on the analog 2-channel input from the MW Transporter. I liked it a great deal as well. I tried this in both Cinema and Music settings. I altered both with a bit less center emphasis via the Surround settings. I ran Audyssey with Flat setting, EQ off, and Dynamic Volume Off. I also use some Kaplan after market power cords both on the Marantz and the MW Transporter.

I know many will outright reject using an additional A-D conversion or not directly using their dac output. To me it was an experiment that gave me very satisfactory results. I may be misunderstanding what happened or not characterizing correctly, but it appears to me the upstream analog output to the 8801 does have an effect even when run through A-D and D-A again and may retain sound characteristics of the original source. All I am asking is to try it and see how it works for you and if any similar results.

Will
I believe Thrang on the 8801 Thread mentions he uses an external DAC to feed analog to the 8801 and goes through an A-D-A cycle in the 8801 and prefers that.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #286 of 1651 Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post The way the Oppo seems to be evolving, I would not be surprised if it becomes the all-in-one device to take on a processor. Headphone amp and HDMI inputs were the first ingenious step to this.

I asked them a few years ago if they would be willing to launch an AV they said NO! 

Who knows maybe in two years the next generation BDP-115 might have Audyssey and other goodies.

There seem to be so many problem with the BDP-105 right now that they are still fixing the bugs!

post #287 of 1651 Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

^^^^^

The analog section in the Anthem is probably better than in the 80.3, and the difference between hdmi and analog out of the 105 are not huge. But to my ears the imaging and clarity are better thru the analog connections. $700 better?? probably not for most people, but it is to me. My choice.
I use hdmi2 for multichannel music, and xlr dedicated stereo for cd's and stereo sacd's. I really like the xlr into the 80.3, but I listen to music/moviies 50/50, and I've spent a while since I got my 80.3 with an Audyssey pro kit dialing in the sound just right. So I'm a tweaker, and willing (perhaps driven is more accurate) to spend the time to get things 'just right'. So the minor improvements with the dedicated analogs form the 105 into trhe 80.3 is worth it for me.

Many (most) people don't take the time to set up their speakers the correct distance from walls and spend hours toeing in them to the optimal angle for imaging, etc. I do.
Most people buying the oppo's don't take the care and time that most of the readers to this thread to get everything 'just right'. And thats alright. Maybe I'm the one who needs psychological help because I spend so much time trying to milk the most out of my system, but thats my cross to bear. I enjoy movies, and especially music, enough to spend the extra time and money to get it right.

Tom

Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #288 of 1651 Old 02-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGodzilla View Post

My Ayre is just the basic CX-7 most people who got the upgrades reckoned like yourself that the improvements were obvious.

I think you could guess on that basis they would be close in performance-I think you've got to give credit for Oppo for what their machine is doing for the money. It is bringing a lot of other features to the table. I would doubt it has the same filter.

I think there may be some aspects of the Oppo's tone and presentation that won't be to everybody' s taste but it is certainly is a vey good standard stereo player-some people are hearing some problems in their system for sure but you surely must have some idea of the differences in what you are hearing? Sure two components have changed now so how does it sound?

After spending some time with the 80.3 and an Audyssey Pro kit, I have finally gotten it dialed in good.biggrin.gif It sounds as good as the D2 did with the cx-7e. And I think I'm pretty discerning and hard to please. Using 2 new components with different room correction systems, it took me a while to get it to where I was happy, but I'm finally there.

I am interested to know if the Oppo could possibly incorporate the "MF" filter that Ayre uses, or could be upgraded or modded to do the same thing. Just wondering.

Tom

post #289 of 1651 Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The analog section in the Anthem is probably better than in the 80.3, and the difference between hdmi and analog out of the 105 are not huge. But to my ears the imaging and clarity are better thru the analog connections. $700 better?? probably not for most people, but it is to me. My choice.
I use hdmi2 for multichannel music, and xlr dedicated stereo for cd's and stereo sacd's. I really like the xlr into the 80.3, but I listen to music/moviies 50/50, and I've spent a while since I got my 80.3 with an Audyssey pro kit dialing in the sound just right. So I'm a tweaker, and willing (perhaps driven is more accurate) to spend the time to get things 'just right'. So the minor improvements with the dedicated analogs form the 105 into trhe 80.3 is worth it for me.

Many (most) people don't take the time to set up their speakers the correct distance from walls and spend hours toeing in them to the optimal angle for imaging, etc. I do.
Most people buying the oppo's don't take the care and time that most of the readers to this thread to get everything 'just right'. And thats alright. Maybe I'm the one who needs psychological help because I spend so much time trying to milk the most out of my system, but thats my cross to bear. I enjoy movies, and especially music, enough to spend the extra time and money to get it right.

Tom

What it really comes down to is if you want Audyssey playback for movies, and the 105 DAC for music playback. What do you prefer with your 80.3 in terms of analog vs HDMI audio for movies?
post #290 of 1651 Old 02-26-2013, 09:52 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post .... Many (most) people don't take the time to set up their speakers the correct distance from walls and spend hours toeing in them to the optimal angle for imaging, etc. I do.
Most people buying the oppo's don't take the care and time that most of the readers to this thread to get everything 'just right'.
"Yes" wes
And that's alright. Maybe I'm the one who needs psychological help because I spend so much time trying to milk the most out of my system, but that's my cross to bear. I enjoy movies, and especially music, enough to spend the extra time and money to get it right.

Tom

I am with you, almost neurotic about it that's what makes it fun :) Its a hobby and relief from stress!

post #291 of 1651 Old 02-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

What it really comes down to is if you want Audyssey playback for movies, and the 105 DAC for music playback. What do you prefer with your 80.3 in terms of analog vs HDMI audio for movies?

I use hdmi for movies so that I can use Audyssey.
I am only using the dedicated stereo xlr's into my Integra 80.3, not the multi channel analog connections, so I have not used analog for movies.
I do use Audyssey for the balanced 2-ch source in the 80.3. Even though it involves an additional a/d>d/a conversion it sounds better than straight analog bypass (and it sounds better than using hdmi for cd's). Partially due to the Audyssey room correction and partially due to bass management, since my fronts are not full range speakers. I know some purists say this shouldn't be done this way, but it works wonderfully for me.

Using this setup both movies and music sound great to me. And since I'm the one listening thats good enough for me.biggrin.gif

Tom

post #292 of 1651 Old 02-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I am with you, almost neurotic about it that's what makes it fun smile.gif Its a hobby and relief from stress!

Especially once you get everything dialed in just right.

Tom

post #293 of 1651 Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I use hdmi for movies so that I can use Audyssey.
I am only using the dedicated stereo xlr's into my Integra 80.3, not the multi channel analog connections, so I have not used analog for movies.
I do use Audyssey for the balanced 2-ch source in the 80.3. Even though it involves an additional a/d>d/a conversion it sounds better than straight analog bypass (and it sounds better than using hdmi for cd's). Partially due to the Audyssey room correction and partially due to bass management, since my fronts are not full range speakers. I know some purists say this shouldn't be done this way, but it works wonderfully for me.

Using this setup both movies and music sound great to me. And since I'm the one listening thats good enough for me.biggrin.gif

Tom

So essentially if you are using the balanced 2 channel with Audyssey, the extra A/D conversion is being handled internally by the Integra dac. If this is the case, that means the Integra dac must be pretty good for you, right?

When I demo'd the Oppo 95 in my system, I noticed that I preferred my Pioneer with MCACC over the Oppo analog for home theater; the bass management was slightly better to me. However, I really did prefer stereo Oppo over the Pioneer in the same setting. This is most likely due to a lower quality dac in my Pioneer though.
post #294 of 1651 Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View PostEspecially once you get everything dialed in just right. Tom

Yes, but then I add something or change seats and I am at it again! :)

post #295 of 1651 Old 02-27-2013, 11:34 AM

Liked: 12
I have the Oppo 83. Has anyone done the upgrade from 83 to 83SE? The upgrade is just $199 on oppo's site. IS this a way to go or should I buy Oppo 105 if I am not interested in 3D, dual HDMI, streaming etc.? Does Oppo 83SE equal Oppo 105 audio or is it a significant upgrade?
post #296 of 1651 Old 02-27-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View Post

I have the Oppo 83. Has anyone done the upgrade from 83 to 83SE? The upgrade is just $199 on oppo's site. IS this a way to go or should I buy Oppo 105 if I am not interested in 3D, dual HDMI, streaming etc.? Does Oppo 83SE equal Oppo 105 audio or is it a significant upgrade?

I've never had the 83 but I own the 83SE. And I just bought the 105 last week. Definite upgrade with the 105. I just added wifi at home and love playing hirez music from HDtracks. How are you outputting the 83? The 105 might not be for you if your staying digital out. The 105's analog out stage is sweet.
post #297 of 1651 Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakenergy View PostI have the Oppo 83. Has anyone done the upgrade from 83 to 83SE? The upgrade is just $199 on oppo's site. IS this a way to go or should I buy Oppo 105 if I am not interested in 3D, dual HDMI, streaming etc.? Does Oppo 83SE equal Oppo 105 audio or is it a significant upgrade?

BDP-105 analogue rocks and so does the BDP-95 have one for sale interested snd me a pm

post #298 of 1651 Old 03-05-2013, 05:20 AM
jfz

Liked: 11
I am wondering if anyone has used the 105 to do the D/A conversion from their cable box to their amplifier. And if that improved the sound significantly.

Thanks very much!
John
post #299 of 1651 Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 AM

You're assuming the Oppo 105 can actually interface correctly with a cable box through its HDMI inputs.
Sadly, I have found this not to be the case. The Oppo 105 HDMI interface seems completely broken.
I have a brand new player that was manufactured less than 2 weeks ago. It produces a blank screen
from any HDMI source that I have sent into it (and I have tried 4 sources, all of which work perfectly
into my TV directly or into my Integra AV processor).

Sadly, I feel Oppo has failed to do its homework in testing the 105.
post #300 of 1651 Old 03-05-2013, 11:12 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalidvd View Post

You're assuming the Oppo 105 can actually interface correctly with a cable box through its HDMI inputs.
Sadly, I have found this not to be the case. The Oppo 105 HDMI interface seems completely broken.
I have a brand new player that was manufactured less than 2 weeks ago. It produces a blank screen
from any HDMI source that I have sent into it (and I have tried 4 sources, all of which work perfectly
into my TV directly or into my Integra AV processor).

Sadly, I feel Oppo has failed to do its homework in testing the 105.
This could be a defective unit.
I am successfully using Oppo with my XBOX360 via HDMI
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page