Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 1734 Old 03-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,875
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalidvd View Post

You're assuming the Oppo 105 can actually interface correctly with a cable box through its HDMI inputs.
Sadly, I have found this not to be the case. The Oppo 105 HDMI interface seems completely broken.
I have a brand new player that was manufactured less than 2 weeks ago. It produces a blank screen
from any HDMI source that I have sent into it (and I have tried 4 sources, all of which work perfectly
into my TV directly or into my Integra AV processor).

Sadly, I feel Oppo has failed to do its homework in testing the 105.

Give OPPO Tech Support a call and they'll walk you through diagnosing this. For example, when you select the Front or Rear HDMI Input (whichever one you are using), and press the Info button on the OPPO remote (upper right of the Arrow keys), what does it display on your TV regarding the format of the audio/video input coming in on that HDMI Input?

The single most common reason for HDMI problems is cabling. Note that with HDMI a cable which is too short can cause problems just like a long cable. (The sweet spot for HDMI cable length between any two devices is 6 feet, 2 meters.) You can check if cabling is the problem by temporarily setting your source device to output 480p (not 480i). 480p is the "simplest" HDMI signal. If that works, then try 1080i from the source. Then try 1080p if your source can output that. If the lower resolution (lower bandwidth) signals work but the higher bandwidth signals do not work, then that is evidence of cabling problems. Keep in mind that HDMI is an end to end protocol so the HDMI run from the source all the way through to the AVR and TV must be considered. Any daisy-chained cables, adapters, wall plates, HDMI switches or other gizmos anywhere in the length of the HDMI path can be the cause.

Obviously if the HDMI Inputs are bad on your unit, OPPO will take care of you under Warranty.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 1734 Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 PM
NW.
Member
 
NW.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just curious: Why might a *short* cable cause problems?
NW. is online now  
post #303 of 1734 Old 03-05-2013, 01:20 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,645
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW. View Post

Just curious: Why might a *short* cable cause problems?

Timing is everything!

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #304 of 1734 Old 03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,875
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW. View Post

Just curious: Why might a *short* cable cause problems?

The HDMI chips at each end do signal re-equalization in an attempt to make the twisted pair HDMI design more robust for longer distances. (Keep in mind that HDMI's genesis is from DVI which was a cabling system for connecting monitors to computers and pretty much went POOF! for anything over 10 foot cable lengths.) The re-equalization has to make some assumptions about what the cable is doing to the signal. For shorter lengths those assumptions are wrong.

I should add that different generations of HDMI chips handle this differently, which compounds the problem because you often have different chips at each end of the cable. A particularly bizarre example is that HDMI V1.3 chips came in two flavors with the earlier version lacking "dynamic" re-equalization.

Frankly, I remain amazed that HDMI works at all.... biggrin.gif
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #305 of 1734 Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
NW.
Member
 
NW.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you and a rimshot for the timing.

Another HDMI-related question: I interpreted something I read in the other BDP-105 thread to mean that there *might* be a difference in the stereo analog output quality depending on if the HDMI audio is on or off. My assumption is that it shouldn't matter if I leave HDMI audio on when I have the TV off or muted (HDMI1 is connected directly to my TV; HDMI2 is not in use) and whether or not the OPPO HDMI input is selected on my TV. My question is whether is does/might matter. That is, should I set HDMI audio to "Off" prior to listening to output via the analog stereo output (attached via RCA to a Marantz SR-4023 stereo receiver)?
NW. is online now  
post #306 of 1734 Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,875
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 947
^ You can leave the HDMI Audio enabled. It is designed to not matter.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #307 of 1734 Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
filmbuff2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver , B.C., Canada
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone here care to give their thoughts on whether I should replace my Nuforce AVP 16 if I buy the 105? I was looking at the Emotiva UMC 200 as I use the analog out but with the exceptional dacs in the 105 would it really be worth it? Video will be going straight to the display. There will be two SVS powered subs if that is any consideration. I have the BDP 93 at the moment and certainly find it quite acceptable for movies and concerts on blu ray.. Also, I will be using a separate integrated amplifier for two channel - which reminds me, I imagine there would be no problem using the analog 2 channel in the 105 to the integrated and the 7.1 to the pre pro? I keep wondering if an upgrade is worth it on the audio side given that I will not be spending more than 1000.00 or so on something new or used, such as a NAD T175 as an example or some of the now affordable older high end processors without hdmi.
filmbuff2 is offline  
post #308 of 1734 Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Member
 
GHafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Well, here we go, buiding a new system for a smallish 5.1 theater/music room, should be fun.

Here's my system:
Marantz AV8801 Pre-amp/Processor
Parasound A51 amp
Monitor Audio GS-Series speakers (GS-60 fronts, GS-LCR center, GS-FX rears)
JL Audio F110 subwoofer
Oppo BDP-105 universal player
Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player
Furman Elite PF-15 conditioner
Pioneer Elite PDP-4280 Kuro 42in plasma TV
(looking for decent priced 3D projector and retractable screen)




With the AV8801 being limited to one pair of XLR INP's I'm a little perplexed in regards to which disc player favor's better for 2ch analog OUT? The Oppo BDP-105 or the Sony SCD-XA5400ES? I own a large collection of redbook CD's, SACD's and DVD'A's.

This will be difficult to determine in my situation as, due to physical constraints, it will be nearly impossible to swap connections back-and-forth. Once things are configured my large rack will be moved into place.

One knowledgeable source explained that I should not even waist my time connecting the BDP-105 analog OUT's (XLR or RCA), but to bypass them and use only a digital coax connection, he thought the Marantz yielded better DAC's? hmmmm........? I may just connect, both, 2ch XLR OUT's and digital coax.


Have you had any problems playing DTS-HD through your new system--Oppo and Marantz? I have the same two units and could not play the DTS-MA soundtrack via HDMI 1 when playing SKYFALL. All other (lossy) codecs play fine.

Gary
GHafer is offline  
post #309 of 1734 Old 03-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Member
 
Eleanor D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Review of EVS Modded Oppo 105

Ten weeks ago my Marantz UD9004 universal disc player began acting up so I sent it in for warranteed repairs. In the interim I auditioned an Oppo 105. I instantly liked what I heard. Despite the substantial cost differential (the discontinued UD9004 listed for $5900) the Oppo was almost as good sonically and was superior ergonomically. I kept the 105 and sent it to Ric Schultz at EVS Audio for modding. Ric kept me informed throughout the process and offered great advice about my options. Ric performed the full basic mod including XLR outs (which I use for FL and FR playback) and also installed a 100 meg clock for the DACs. The total cost for the mods was about $850. This is my review.

Some preliminaries. I have a “high end” multichannel audio system that also doubles as a home theater. My room is very well treated acoustically and measures very well without further room correction. My accompanying components are all very good – Rockport speakers, Parasound JC-1 monoblocks, and a Theta CBIII/Six Shooter preamp. My wife and I listen critically to classical SACDs and Blu Ray operas and I also blast music ranging from old Genesis and Joy Division to Arcade Fire and the Decemberists. (And let me give a shout out to the recently remastered Big Star SACD.)

In this review, I will avoid terms like “air” and “blacker blacks.” Also, I must acknowledge that I have not performed any A/B tests; I am relying entirely on my and my wife’s acoustic memories. My wife's opinion is of some importance -- she has "golden ears" and easily tell when I have swapped out components without being told or noticing the new equipment. (Both of her parents were professional conductors.) The bottom line: we love the modded 105! When we first listened to the stock 105, we thought it had sounded very close to the UD9004, but was somehow slightly less engaging. Perhaps I found myself fidgeting in my chair a bit too much, instead of being riveted to the music. My wife was, if anything, more positive about it. Having established a strong baseline for the 105, I sent it to EVS for the mods.

In the interim, my UD9004 was still out for repairs, so I set up my old Oppo 83SE, itself a solid performer in its day. My wife and I immediately noticed the degradation of the sound. There was a subtle but noticeable edginess. Most obviously, and the bane of any system, tutti orchestral passages became more congested.

Last week I received the modded 105 and my wife and I have been in sonic Valhalla ever since. I mean this figurative and literally, as one of the first things we heard was the new Metropolitan Opera Blu Ray production of Siegfried. But everything we have listened to has sounded superb. If you have read this far into the review, then you must occasionally listen to your system and think about the ways that it could sound better. Well we have done this in the past week and are hard pressed to believe that our system could sound better; we have never felt this way before. The best indicator is that we have not stopped listening to music. Getting down to specifics, we notice that low strings have a warmth that one normally only hears in a live performance. We hear each percussion instrument as a unique entity with its own sonic character. Brass is brassy, reeds are reedy, vocals sound just right – you get the idea. Imaging is great and everything fits together as ensemble music should. We can play forte orchestral passages as the composers meant for them to be played and our system holds up under the acoustic pressure. (I have also enjoyed cranking up the volume on my collection of rock CDs.) At the same time, chamber music and jazz combos sound eerily like the musicians are in the room.

So here is how I sum it up. Let’s say that the first row, lower balcony of Orchestra Hall in Chicago scores 100 points. (I have no idea what the world’s best audio system would score.) I think I was at 87 points listening to SACD with the UD9004, 85 points with the stock 105, 75 with the 83SE, and 90 points with the modded 105. In other words, the modded 105 moved us a large fraction of the way towards sonic bliss. We are hard pressed to imagine how a home audio system could sound better. (But as a lifelong hobbyist, I know that I will soon be seeking ways to squeeze out another point or two!)

Eleanor D is offline  
post #310 of 1734 Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor D View Post

Review of EVS Modded Oppo 105

Ten weeks ago my Marantz UD9004 universal disc player began acting up so I sent it in for warranteed repairs. In the interim I auditioned an Oppo 105. I instantly liked what I heard. Despite the substantial cost differential (the discontinued UD9004 listed for $5900) the Oppo was almost as good sonically and was superior ergonomically. I kept the 105 and sent it to Ric Schultz at EVS Audio for modding. Ric kept me informed throughout the process and offered great advice about my options. Ric performed the full basic mod including XLR outs (which I use for FL and FR playback) and also installed a 100 meg clock for the DACs. The total cost for the mods was about $850. This is my review.

Some preliminaries. I have a “high end” multichannel audio system that also doubles as a home theater. My room is very well treated acoustically and measures very well without further room correction. My accompanying components are all very good – Rockport speakers, Parasound JC-1 monoblocks, and a Theta CBIII/Six Shooter preamp. My wife and I listen critically to classical SACDs and Blu Ray operas and I also blast music ranging from old Genesis and Joy Division to Arcade Fire and the Decemberists. (And let me give a shout out to the recently remastered Big Star SACD.)

In this review, I will avoid terms like “air” and “blacker blacks.” Also, I must acknowledge that I have not performed any A/B tests; I am relying entirely on my and my wife’s acoustic memories. My wife's opinion is of some importance -- she has "golden ears" and easily tell when I have swapped out components without being told or noticing the new equipment. (Both of her parents were professional conductors.) The bottom line: we love the modded 105! When we first listened to the stock 105, we thought it had sounded very close to the UD9004, but was somehow slightly less engaging. Perhaps I found myself fidgeting in my chair a bit too much, instead of being riveted to the music. My wife was, if anything, more positive about it. Having established a strong baseline for the 105, I sent it to EVS for the mods.

In the interim, my UD9004 was still out for repairs, so I set up my old Oppo 83SE, itself a solid performer in its day. My wife and I immediately noticed the degradation of the sound. There was a subtle but noticeable edginess. Most obviously, and the bane of any system, tutti orchestral passages became more congested.

Last week I received the modded 105 and my wife and I have been in sonic Valhalla ever since. I mean this figurative and literally, as one of the first things we heard was the new Metropolitan Opera Blu Ray production of Siegfried. But everything we have listened to has sounded superb. If you have read this far into the review, then you must occasionally listen to your system and think about the ways that it could sound better. Well we have done this in the past week and are hard pressed to believe that our system could sound better; we have never felt this way before. The best indicator is that we have not stopped listening to music. Getting down to specifics, we notice that low strings have a warmth that one normally only hears in a live performance. We hear each percussion instrument as a unique entity with its own sonic character. Brass is brassy, reeds are reedy, vocals sound just right – you get the idea. Imaging is great and everything fits together as ensemble music should. We can play forte orchestral passages as the composers meant for them to be played and our system holds up under the acoustic pressure. (I have also enjoyed cranking up the volume on my collection of rock CDs.) At the same time, chamber music and jazz combos sound eerily like the musicians are in the room.

So here is how I sum it up. Let’s say that the first row, lower balcony of Orchestra Hall in Chicago scores 100 points. (I have no idea what the world’s best audio system would score.) I think I was at 87 points listening to SACD with the UD9004, 85 points with the stock 105, 75 with the 83SE, and 90 points with the modded 105. In other words, the modded 105 moved us a large fraction of the way towards sonic bliss. We are hard pressed to imagine how a home audio system could sound better. (But as a lifelong hobbyist, I know that I will soon be seeking ways to squeeze out another point or two!)

Nice review! how long did you let the stock 105 burn in? I've found that well over 500 hours of playback to yield the same sounding results on the tonality of lower Brass and strings and clear placement of Tympani strikes with a very layered sound stage which indeed bettered the Oppo 95 it replaced , but nice to hear your in Valhalla wink.gif
audiofan1 is online now  
post #311 of 1734 Old 03-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Senior Member
 
mdanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Garland,Tx.
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff2 View Post

Anyone here care to give their thoughts on whether I should replace my Nuforce AVP 16 if I buy the 105? I was looking at the Emotiva UMC 200 as I use the analog out but with the exceptional dacs in the 105 would it really be worth it? Video will be going straight to the display. There will be two SVS powered subs if that is any consideration. I have the BDP 93 at the moment and certainly find it quite acceptable for movies and concerts on blu ray.. Also, I will be using a separate integrated amplifier for two channel - which reminds me, I imagine there would be no problem using the analog 2 channel in the 105 to the integrated and the 7.1 to the pre pro? I keep wondering if an upgrade is worth it on the audio side given that I will not be spending more than 1000.00 or so on something new or used, such as a NAD T175 as an example or some of the now affordable older high end processors without hdmi.

I have the Emotiva umc-200 and it sounds great with my oppo 105. I am using the 7.1 analog ins of the umc-200 in direct mode and the sound is wonderful.
MC music and bluray movies are excellent to me with this setup.

Matt
mdanderson is offline  
post #312 of 1734 Old 03-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Member
 
RouslanB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor D View Post

Review of EVS Modded Oppo 105

Ten weeks ago my Marantz UD9004 universal disc player began acting up so I sent it in for warranteed repairs. In the interim I auditioned an Oppo 105. I instantly liked what I heard. Despite the substantial cost differential (the discontinued UD9004 listed for $5900) the Oppo was almost as good sonically and was superior ergonomically. I kept the 105 and sent it to Ric Schultz at EVS Audio for modding. Ric kept me informed throughout the process and offered great advice about my options. Ric performed the full basic mod including XLR outs (which I use for FL and FR playback) and also installed a 100 meg clock for the DACs. The total cost for the mods was about $850. This is my review.

Some preliminaries. I have a “high end” multichannel audio system that also doubles as a home theater. My room is very well treated acoustically and measures very well without further room correction. My accompanying components are all very good – Rockport speakers, Parasound JC-1 monoblocks, and a Theta CBIII/Six Shooter preamp. My wife and I listen critically to classical SACDs and Blu Ray operas and I also blast music ranging from old Genesis and Joy Division to Arcade Fire and the Decemberists. (And let me give a shout out to the recently remastered Big Star SACD.)

In this review, I will avoid terms like “air” and “blacker blacks.” Also, I must acknowledge that I have not performed any A/B tests; I am relying entirely on my and my wife’s acoustic memories. My wife's opinion is of some importance -- she has "golden ears" and easily tell when I have swapped out components without being told or noticing the new equipment. (Both of her parents were professional conductors.) The bottom line: we love the modded 105! When we first listened to the stock 105, we thought it had sounded very close to the UD9004, but was somehow slightly less engaging. Perhaps I found myself fidgeting in my chair a bit too much, instead of being riveted to the music. My wife was, if anything, more positive about it. Having established a strong baseline for the 105, I sent it to EVS for the mods.

In the interim, my UD9004 was still out for repairs, so I set up my old Oppo 83SE, itself a solid performer in its day. My wife and I immediately noticed the degradation of the sound. There was a subtle but noticeable edginess. Most obviously, and the bane of any system, tutti orchestral passages became more congested.

Last week I received the modded 105 and my wife and I have been in sonic Valhalla ever since. I mean this figurative and literally, as one of the first things we heard was the new Metropolitan Opera Blu Ray production of Siegfried. But everything we have listened to has sounded superb. If you have read this far into the review, then you must occasionally listen to your system and think about the ways that it could sound better. Well we have done this in the past week and are hard pressed to believe that our system could sound better; we have never felt this way before. The best indicator is that we have not stopped listening to music. Getting down to specifics, we notice that low strings have a warmth that one normally only hears in a live performance. We hear each percussion instrument as a unique entity with its own sonic character. Brass is brassy, reeds are reedy, vocals sound just right – you get the idea. Imaging is great and everything fits together as ensemble music should. We can play forte orchestral passages as the composers meant for them to be played and our system holds up under the acoustic pressure. (I have also enjoyed cranking up the volume on my collection of rock CDs.) At the same time, chamber music and jazz combos sound eerily like the musicians are in the room.

So here is how I sum it up. Let’s say that the first row, lower balcony of Orchestra Hall in Chicago scores 100 points. (I have no idea what the world’s best audio system would score.) I think I was at 87 points listening to SACD with the UD9004, 85 points with the stock 105, 75 with the 83SE, and 90 points with the modded 105. In other words, the modded 105 moved us a large fraction of the way towards sonic bliss. We are hard pressed to imagine how a home audio system could sound better. (But as a lifelong hobbyist, I know that I will soon be seeking ways to squeeze out another point or two!)
Did you just ordered basic mod + 100Hz clock? Any other advanced options?
RouslanB is offline  
post #313 of 1734 Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 AM
MLM
Senior Member
 
MLM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York City Area
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Nice review! how long did you let the stock 105 burn in? I've found that well over 500 hours of playback to yield the same sounding results on the tonality of lower Brass and strings and clear placement of Tympani strikes with a very layered sound stage which indeed bettered the Oppo 95 it replaced , but nice to hear your in Valhalla wink.gif

I would second this observation. I've had my 105 for about three months. For a lot of that time it's been playing 24/7 with a repeated snippet of music on a thumb drive.

When I first got the Oppo I played some very familiar disks, RBCD and SACD. Then I put them away and recently replayed them. While long term memory for that sort of thing is suspect, there is no doubt that time and playing has made a huge impact for the better. What used to grate now shines. Plus the bottom end is really awesome.

I'm quite happy with the Oppo as is, but like so many others, if there are improvements to be made I'm listening.

Len
MLM is offline  
post #314 of 1734 Old 03-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Eleanor D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Nice review! how long did you let the stock 105 burn in? I've found that well over 500 hours of playback to yield the same sounding results on the tonality of lower Brass and strings and clear placement of Tympani strikes with a very layered sound stage which indeed bettered the Oppo 95 it replaced , but nice to hear your in Valhalla wink.gif

After I initially received the 105 I played it 24/7 for a week before doing any critical listening. I probably played it for another 100 hours before sending it off to EVS. I burned it in for another 50 hours after receiving it back from EVS. And yes, I got just the basic mod plus the clock. If things only improve further with additional time, then I am in for a treat!

Eleanor D is offline  
post #315 of 1734 Old 03-09-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor D View Post

After I initially received the 105 I played it 24/7 for a week before doing any critical listening. I probably played it for another 100 hours before sending it off to EVS. I burned it in for another 50 hours after receiving it back from EVS. And yes, I got just the basic mod plus the clock. If things only improve further with additional time, then I am in for a treat!

Indeed wink.gif
audiofan1 is online now  
post #316 of 1734 Old 03-09-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I'm glad you updated us on the mods from Ric.
I am very tempted to do the same mod level as you did.
Just in case someone gets the names crossed up, Ric Schultz is not the same person\company as Dave Schulte of The Upgrade Company.

Several years ago, my brother heavily modded a Marantz SA-8260(?) CD\SACD player.
Personally, I was very skeptical that replacing parts, bypassing some of the circuit paths etc., would make any audible difference but I was proven wrong.
Audio memory is very fickle and extremely short-lived but he had his modded and an unmodded player side-by-side and the difference was definitely there.
They are hard to describe as the differences are subtle but they really do make a big difference to me.

And BTW, you got a nice system there Eleanor, guy. wink.gif

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #317 of 1734 Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor D View Post After I initially received the 105 I played it 24/7 for a week before doing any critical listening. I probably played it for another 100 hours before sending it off to EVS. I burned it in for another 50 hours after receiving it back from EVS. And yes, I got just the basic mod plus the clock. If things only improve further with additional time, then I am in for a treat!

What is EVS?

wse is offline  
post #318 of 1734 Old 03-10-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Torqdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

What is EVS?
A quick google search turned up this and this

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
Torqdog is offline  
post #319 of 1734 Old 03-10-2013, 02:18 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

A quick google search turned up this and this
Thanks

So it doubles the price does double the sound! I doubt it!
wse is offline  
post #320 of 1734 Old 03-10-2013, 03:23 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 369

Can some one create a poll with the three following questions for the Oppo BDP-105

 

- Satisfied

- Unsatisfied

- Undecided

wse is offline  
post #321 of 1734 Old 03-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Member
 
Eleanor D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Thanks

So it doubles the price does double the sound! I doubt it!

Wading through your grammatically challenged sentence I take it that you believe I have wasted my money on the mods. There is a simple way for me to figure out if I have wasted my money -- if I end up wishing that I had spent the $850 on something else, or that I had left the money in the bank, then you will be correct. But even if we go with your idea of comparing percentage spending with percentage improvement, your analysis is still a bit wobbly. For argument sake suppose that I have invested $40k on my audio system. Then the mods represent additional spending of 2%. Will the mods improve the sound by more than 2%? Thus far the answer seems to be yes.

Of course, your mileage may vary. smile.gif

Eleanor D is offline  
post #322 of 1734 Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor D View PostWading through your grammatically challenged sentence I take it that you believe I have wasted my money on the mods. There is a simple way for me to figure out if I have wasted my money -- if I end up wishing that I had spent the $850 on something else, or that I had left the money in the bank, then you will be correct. But even if we go with your idea of comparing percentage spending with percentage improvement, your analysis is still a bit wobbly. For argument sake suppose that I have invested $40k on my audio system. Then the mods represent additional spending of 2%. Will the mods improve the sound by more than 2%? Thus far the answer seems to be yes. Of course, your mileage may vary. smile.gif

So sorry Senior or Senorita, Me inglés is not up to par!  If you are happy I am happy wink.gif

wse is offline  
post #323 of 1734 Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,608
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Can some one create a poll with the three following questions for the Oppo BDP-105

- Satisfied
- Unsatisfied
- Undecided
I really don't see the point of such a poll as it's pretty obvious reading this and the other 105 thread that most people are happy with their 105's. But if you really must have a poll, anyone can start a post with a poll in it, so I nominate you since you suggested it. Of course the moderators might decide that 2 105 threads are plenty and lock or delete your thread.
gsr is offline  
post #324 of 1734 Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Troll
 
ufokillerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 1,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
really wish that someone could put a modwright oppo against a evs to see how they compare
http://www.modwright.com/modifications/oppo-bdp83-and-bdp83se-mod.php

i'm scheduled to have my modwright modded oppo sometime next week, if anyone with a evs is in the nyc area, would certainly love to do some a/b.
ufokillerz is online now  
post #325 of 1734 Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Member
 
j.t.k.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the 105's functionality as a digital media renderer? I mean I know it should work fine technically, but in practice are there any quirks? How responsive is it?

fwiw, here's my current system:

QNAP NAS with AAC, MP3, FLAC files (the AAC files are slowly being re-ripped to FLAC; the QNAP has Twonky installed, which can be set to transcode in the meantime)
Squeezebox Touch
Panasonic BDP-605
Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100
Yamaha stereo receiver
Wharfedale Evo2-8 speakers

The receiver is likely to be replaced with an Emotiva USP-1 and an amp of some kind eventually (I also have a turntable). I'd be looking to replace the Squeezebox, Panasonic, and DAC with the Oppo. And I would control the streaming music with something like BubbleUPnP running on a Kindle Fire.

I also have a lot of Rolling Stones SACDs from when they were first released by Abkco that haven't been played in years... might be nice to play those again. smile.gif

Any comments appreciated!
j.t.k. is offline  
post #326 of 1734 Old 03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Member
 
BenGodzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Glasgow,UK
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.t.k. View Post

I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the 105's functionality as a digital media renderer? I mean I know it should work fine technically, but in practice are there any quirks? How responsive is it?

fwiw, here's my current system:

QNAP NAS with AAC, MP3, FLAC files (the AAC files are slowly being re-ripped to FLAC; the QNAP has Twonky installed, which can be set to transcode in the meantime)
Squeezebox Touch
Panasonic BDP-605
Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100
Yamaha stereo receiver
Wharfedale Evo2-8 speakers

The receiver is likely to be replaced with an Emotiva USP-1 and an amp of some kind eventually (I also have a turntable). I'd be looking to replace the Squeezebox, Panasonic, and DAC with the Oppo. And I would control the streaming music with something like BubbleUPnP running on a Kindle Fire.

I also have a lot of Rolling Stones SACDs from when they were first released by Abkco that haven't been played in years... might be nice to play those again. smile.gif

Any comments appreciated!

I had problems streaming to my Oppo here in the UK but I found Twonky works...I think you might just need to tweak it but it should work great.

Personally don't think the Stone recordings are all that great but as a player your Oppo will deliver on the sound quality front unless you are one of the few who finds otherwise....it is a pretty high standard player I would think with no disrespect your overall system might not get the best out of it-but that is a guess on my part.
BenGodzilla is offline  
post #327 of 1734 Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Member
 
j.t.k.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I agree, my system is not the best... I may go for the 103 instead. But I think the streaming part is the same between the two?

I also agree about the Stones SACDs, but I have them already, so no big loss there.
j.t.k. is offline  
post #328 of 1734 Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Troll
 
ufokillerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 1,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.t.k. View Post

I agree, my system is not the best... I may go for the 103 instead. But I think the streaming part is the same between the two?

I also agree about the Stones SACDs, but I have them already, so no big loss there.

the 105 makes sense only if you plan to use the stereo out or the multichannel out

if you are using hdmi or coaxial/optical, then the 103 is fine.
ufokillerz is online now  
post #329 of 1734 Old 03-11-2013, 06:52 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,029
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Postthe 105 makes sense only if you plan to use the stereo out or the multichannel out if you are using hdmi or coaxial/optical, then the 103 is fine.

Can the 103 be used as a DAC?

wse is offline  
post #330 of 1734 Old 03-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Member
 
j.t.k.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

the 105 makes sense only if you plan to use the stereo out or the multichannel out

if you are using hdmi or coaxial/optical, then the 103 is fine.

OK, that gives me something to think about then. I was planning to use the stereo out.

wse, as far as I can tell, the 103 can't be used as a DAC for external sources.
j.t.k. is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page


    Forum Jump: 

    Posting Rules  
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off