gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by eganz1 View Post

Yes, thank you. I'm sure that you are right.
I realized last night that one really needs to combine the two signals (Probably the signal is differential straight out of the DACs).
Does it make sense to add a transformer on the amplifier side, or should I just stick with the unbalanced connection? Are people satisfied with the unbalanced RCA output?
If you don't have balanced connections on both ends, just use the unbalanced outputs. If you think about it, introducing extra stuff (such as a transformer) in the signal path is getting away from the whole point of connecting direct to the amp to keep the signal as clean as possible, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1724 Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Yes, thank you. I'm sure that you are right.
I realized last night that one really needs to combine the two signals (Probably the signal is differential straight out of the DACs).
Does it make sense to add a transformer on the amplifier side, or should I just stick with the unbalanced connection? Are people satisfied with the unbalanced RCA output?

Eric
Curiosity got the best of me recently and I tried an A/B comparison between balanced and RCA cables coming out of the Oppo to my pre-pro. If there was any difference, I couldn't hear it. Balanced cables are mainly used for either long runs or if there is RF noise being picked up by the RCAs. If none of these factor into your situation, just go with the RCAs.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #453 of 1724 Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 AM
jfz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post

Finally got my Oppo 105 in yesterday. Might get a chance to set the rest of my gear up tomorrow.

It looks great. I love those tubes. What are they? I am using the Electro-Harmonix that Modwright provided. Do you like those better?

In any case, my modded 105 sounds amazing!!
lanping09 likes this.
post #454 of 1724 Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 AM
jfz

Quote:

Finally got my Oppo 105 in yesterday. Might get a chance to set the rest of my gear up tomorrow.

p.s. I see a video screen behind the Oppo. Will you be using the Oppo to do the D/A conversion from your cable box? I am VERY curious to know if it's a big improvement.

My modifed, tube-output 105 is being used only for my main audio system. And I have an Oppo 95 I use for video. I'm thinking about getting a stock 105, and running the cable sound through it.

Thanks!
post #455 of 1724 Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfz View Post

p.s. I see a video screen behind the Oppo. Will you be using the Oppo to do the D/A conversion from your cable box? I am VERY curious to know if it's a big improvement.

My modifed, tube-output 105 is being used only for my main audio system. And I have an Oppo 95 I use for video. I'm thinking about getting a stock 105, and running the cable sound through it.

Thanks!

using the oppo 105 with the analog outs for my 2 channel setup

but it will also be used with my ht system as a bluray/media player via hdmi, it is connected to a marantz av8801 which my cable box is also connected to.

i am hoping to get things setup today, i have to upgrade some crossover parts in my 2 channel setup, and get my new amps that i got this saturday setup.

i have psvane tubes, i have not gotten the chance to listen to much yet, i am hoping they sound decent, will swap between these and the stock tubes to see if they are worth keeping.
post #456 of 1724 Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:

Many people have concluded that the balanced outputs are superior to the unbalanced outputs.

For those of us with unbalanced amplifiers, it seems that a XLR balanced to RCA unbalanced cable would extract much of the benefit.

I see that the balanced circuit uses one op amp for each left and right channel, and separated circuitry, while the unbalanced circuit uses dual op amp.
This could explain a large part of the improvement.

I sent an e-mail to OPPO asking the exact same question. They told me that using an XLR balanced to RCA unbalanced cable would sound the same as a RCA to RCA cable.

OPPO bdp95; Aragon Stage One pre/pro; Aye V5xe main amp; Acurus 125x5 surround amp; Marantz VP 12s1 projector; Canare cables;Custom speakers designed by Dennis Murphy (MBOW1/3-3-way speaker and MBOW1-2 way speaker)
post #457 of 1724 Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post

Quote:

Many people have concluded that the balanced outputs are superior to the unbalanced outputs.

For those of us with unbalanced amplifiers, it seems that a XLR balanced to RCA unbalanced cable would extract much of the benefit.

I see that the balanced circuit uses one op amp for each left and right channel, and separated circuitry, while the unbalanced circuit uses dual op amp.
This could explain a large part of the improvement.

I sent an e-mail to OPPO asking the exact same question. They told me that using an XLR balanced to RCA unbalanced cable would sound the same as a RCA to RCA cable.

No suprise since i believe the RCA output is a tap off the +leg of the differential amplifier output...

lanping09 likes this.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #458 of 1724 Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View PostCuriosity got the best of me recently and I tried an A/B comparison between balanced and RCA cables coming out of the Oppo to my pre-pro. If there was any difference, I couldn't hear it. Balanced cables are mainly used for either long runs or if there is RF noise being picked up by the RCAs. If none of these factor into your situation, just go with the RCAs.

Good point mine are 25 feet long so it makes a difference or so I choose to believe :) I don't want to spend the money for both it gets expensive!

post #459 of 1724 Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK View PostI sent an e-mail to OPPO asking the exact same question. They told me that using an XLR balanced to RCA unbalanced cable would sound the same as a RCA to RCA cable.

Yes, it just happen to be RCA

post #460 of 1724 Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 PM

Liked: 10
Great thread. I'm using the 105 just for two channel....XLR to my prepro. Using my 93 via Hdmi for movies. I noticed a really nice change in sound quality today listening to Lindsey Buckingham.......have had it for about 8 weeks. Very happy with the 105's sound quality.
post #461 of 1724 Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 PM

Just to add to my last post. I hear a lot more out of my music from the 105 that didn't hear from the 93.
post #462 of 1724 Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by luketo View Post

Just to add to my last post. I hear a lot more out of my music from the 105 that didn't hear from the 93.

Did you test the 105 multichannel vs the 93 HDMI?
post #463 of 1724 Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

I have not tested the 105 multichannel because I didn't have enough rca cables at the time. when I first got it.... my friend and I tested the 105's two channel xlr vs 93 hdmi listening to a bunch of his sacd's and multichannel disc. We both agreed the 105 imaging, clarity and presences sounded a lot better than the 93 via hdmi in my system. Now that the 105 had time to break in ( I do believe there is such a thing) I will test it soon.

Luke
post #464 of 1724 Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Troll

Quote:

sounds like unfair competition, considering the multichannel comes out of the ess sabre32 reference dacs
i have a 105 and a 93 i would not think about comparing them.
post #465 of 1724 Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:

sounds like unfair competition, considering the multichannel comes out of the ess sabre32 reference dacs
i have a 105 and a 93 i would not think about comparing them.

You're right. Very unfair. We only did it to make sure I wasn't spending my money in vain.
post #466 of 1724 Old 03-27-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I should clarify, you mentioned you use the 93 on HDMI. I was really more interested in what kind of content you are playing with each type of connection (i.e. analog for music, multichannel for movies, etc).
post #467 of 1724 Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:

I should clarify, you mentioned you use the 93 on HDMI. I was really more interested in what kind of content you are playing with each type of connection (i.e. analog for music, multichannel for movies, etc).

105's 2 channel analog for music.

93 hdmi for movies.

currently not using the muitichannel output on both.
post #468 of 1724 Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I agree I love the Prometheus movie last time I watched it shook the walls.

I think first I might listen to this Audio Bliss smile.gif

Album

http://www.2l.no/pages/album/090.html

- DTS HD MA 192kHz/24 bit 5.1

- DTS HD MA 96kHz/24 bit 7.1

- Auro-3D 96kHz/24 bit 9.1 

- LPCM 192kHz/24 bit STEREO

Audio Bliss I am very familiar with the recording and it is superb, highly recommended.

Just got the BDP-105 smile.gif

I ended up buying this disc after reading your link to it. I am very impressed. This disc played thru the BDP-105 and SSP-800 brought my system to a different level listening to surround. The DTS HD MA and way it was recorded with the musicians in their marked locations which change on several pieces give you a true enveloped sensation. It draws you into it. What I love is with the 24/192 capability it seems to bring out the sweetness and natural sounding strings without being harsh. It's obvious a lot of thought and planning went into recording this performance correctly.
lanping09 likes this.
post #469 of 1724 Old 03-29-2013, 10:42 AM

Hi All

I'm an audiophile (there I've admitted it). I've heard about OPPO but never had a reason to purchase one as my CD/Digital File playing needs were satisfied using superb equipment. Unfortunately my Leema Antilla II CD player suddenly stopped working. I have a superb little USB DAC but also enjoy playing discs directly.

Now, I have no home theatre, just a nice Sony 28 inch CRT TV (no HDMI) and a cheap Sony DVD player, so I thought: Why not buy an OPPO to cover my HiFi needs while the CD player is out for repair, when it comes back, I can have it replace my aging DVD player (I know without HDMI I'll need to buy a new TV... ). I'm in Canada and figured I'd order the OPPO online and wait for weeks until it cleared customs. But much to my surprise the OPPO BDP 105 I ordered arrived at my doorstep just two days after the order was made, leaving me without a CD player for just 1 day (the Leema CD player is now out for repair).

I also have a Leema USB/SPDIF DAC so I thought at the very least I could use the OPPO as as a transport. I unpacked everything, hauled out a little 17 inch TV with HDMI input, set up the OPPO, detached the TV and started playing discs.

First of all, for a green player, it sounded very very nice, I'm comparing this with a CD player (from memory though) that costs 5 times as much. I can compare digital out and analogue out, where the digital out is going through the Leema DAC which is essentially identical to the DAC in the Leema CD player and found there were small differences, but nothing spectacular. Keep in mind that the OPPO has only a few hours on it and the Leema DAC has a slightly better set of interconnects.

I also played a number of DVD-Audio discs I purchased to covert to AIFF files, I'm amazed at how good it sounded. I'll head to a local second hand CD shop and see if there are some hybrid SACD disks available, I've never been able to play them... until now.

The amazing thing is that the OPPO costs about half as much as the interconnects I'm using to connect it to my preamp, and is nearly the same price as the isolation feet it's resting on or the aftermarket power cord I'm using to give it AC.

I'm burning in the OPPO now and will compare it this evening to my DAC fed by my Macbook (using Amarra) and get back to the group.
Ultimately I plan to compare it's Asynchronous DAC to my Leema USB DAC.

You get so much for your money with OPPO, and I'm only using Audio out!! I've just hooked it up to my network and using my phone as a remote, how cool is that.

What will be fun will be to compare it to the Leema CD player when it returns, I can use identical interconnects and do a fairly accurate comparison. So far this product just keeps on amazing me.

Barry in Calgary
post #470 of 1724 Old 03-30-2013, 01:37 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffo View Post

Hi AllI'm an audiophile (there I've admitted it). I've heard about OPPO but never had a reason to purchase one as my CD/Digital File playing needs were satisfied using superb equipment. Unfortunately my Leema Antilla II CD player suddenly stopped working. I have a superb little USB DAC but also enjoy playing discs.......The amazing thing is that the OPPO costs about half as much as the interconnects I'm using to connect it to my preamp, and is nearly the same price as the isolation feet it's resting on or the aftermarket power cord I'm using to give it AC.

I'm burning in the OPPO now and will compare it this evening to my DAC fed by my Macbook (using Amarra) and get back to the group.
Ultimately I plan to compare it's Asynchronous DAC to my Leema USB DAC.

You get so much for your money with OPPO, Barry in Calgary

Welcome, i am sorry to hear about your CD player. Yes Oppo is very good, I also never understand why people spend so much on cables?

http://bryston.com/PDF/newsletters/Bryston_Newsletter_V5_3.pdf
post #471 of 1724 Old 03-30-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Welcome, i am sorry to hear about your CD player. Yes Oppo is very good, I also never understand why people spend so much on cables?

http://bryston.com/PDF/newsletters/Bryston_Newsletter_V5_3.pdf
Interesting article and thanks for posting. I found the bit about high end power cables quite telling and pretty much follows what has been thrown around here and elsewhere

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #472 of 1724 Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I just bought the BDP-105 couple of days ago and looking for tips on how best to connect it to my existing system properly

My equipment is as follows:

Oppo BDP-105
Marantz NR-1602 receiver
LG 1080P plasma TV
NHT VT1.4 main speakers
NHT VS2A center channel
Mirage S8 Subwoofer
Sennheiser RS180 wifi headphones

Here is a link to the back panel of the Marantz 1602..
lanping09 likes this.
post #473 of 1724 Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman66 View Post

I just bought the BDP-105 couple of days ago and looking for tips on how best to connect it to my existing system properly

My equipment is as follows:

Oppo BDP-105
Marantz NR-1602 receiver
LG 1080P plasma TV
NHT VT1.4 main speakers
NHT VS2A center channel
Mirage S8 Subwoofer
Sennheiser RS180 wifi headphones

Here is a link to the back panel of the Marantz 1602..
HDMI Out on Oppo to HDMI in on Marantz
post #474 of 1724 Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

HDMI Out on Oppo to HDMI in on Marantz

Or analog audio outs from the Oppo to the Marantz, and HDMI from the Oppo to the plasma (HDMI to the Marantz defeats the purpose of having the Oppo 105).
post #475 of 1724 Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

Or analog audio outs from the Oppo to the Marantz, and HDMI from the Oppo to the plasma (HDMI to the Marantz defeats the purpose of having the Oppo 105).

I don't think there is much to gain connecting the analog outs of the oppo to that specific marantz. granted the dac on the oppo is superior in every way to the marantz.
post #476 of 1724 Old 03-31-2013, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't think there is much to gain connecting the analog outs of the oppo to that specific marantz. granted the dac on the oppo is superior in every way to the marantz.

So connecting the Oppo to Marantz either via HDMI or Analog audio will not be using Oppo's BDP-105 full capability or justify its presence.

The equipment I mentioned above (Marantz 1602 + BDP-105+NHT 3.1 speakers) is in my living room..

I also have the Peach tree audio nova amp in another area of my house (paired with a Sony S570 bluray player+ Epson 8100 projector)

Would the Oppo be better paired with the Peach Tree Nova? My only issue with the Nova is that it doesnt have 3.1 capability although for stereo (2.1) it is outstanding.
I also have a Sonos ZP90 in the slot inside the Peachtree for streaming music

Here is an image of the Peachtree Nova back panel
post #477 of 1724 Old 03-31-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I currently have a Oppo 103 connected via HDMI2 to an Integra DHC80.3. Do you think I will get any gains going to the 105 and feeding it analog, and if so, how much. FWIW I do not use Audyssey for music so no worry about another A to D and D to A conversion, it will stay analog. The 80.3 has Burr Brown 192/32 DACs.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #478 of 1724 Old 03-31-2013, 02:19 PM

Liked: 16
Thinking about getting a 105. How would you suggest I hook up my system? Currently I have my LG 9600 hooked into my Marantz SR7005 via HDMI. I have my Squeezebox touch Hooked into my AVR(streaming from my Mac). via analog. I have my Fios box into my AVR and my Apple TV hooked into my AVR( both HDMI).I also have a Adcom GFA 555 hooked into my zone 2 on my AVR to power my outside, dining room,kitchen and living room( via Adcom speaker selector). Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
post #479 of 1724 Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 PM

I'll use oppo 105 with my music server connected by coaxial cable, I let my EMU1212 do the upsample job, all my software has by EMU the upsample to 192khz/24bit.

To buy OPPO I've to sell MDAC...no money...so...what kind of information the OPPO display let you know during reproduction using the OPPO as external DAC (connected by coaxial?)

You know, the MDAC let us know frequency, levels etc....

what about headphone section?

bye & thanks

Angelo
post #480 of 1724 Old 03-31-2013, 02:53 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Widescreen review gives this player the best sound rating, Cambridge Audio Azur 752BD 3D Blu-ray universal player!

What do you think?

A5 separate Wolfson WM8740 D/A converters, to ensure that every audio channel is decoded in the highest possible quality
Anagram Q5 192 kHz up-sampling technology, to up-sample all audio to 24- bit/192kHz output
2D
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page