Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1649 Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like some advice. I own the bdp-95 and I am thinking about adding a dedicated cd player (Onkyo C-7000R). If only considering two channel sound on cds and sacds, would I get better performance from the Onkyo or the bdp-105? I dont mind having another Oppo but im primarily looking looking for the best two channel performance for a max budget of $1500. If the bdp-105 is a better choice, I could always move the bdp-95 to the bedroom. I will be connecting to a onkyo A9070 integrated amp. I would like the music to sound neutral/slightly warm and not harsh, bright, or thin. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1649 Old 04-09-2013, 05:28 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxstiguy View Post

I would like some advice. I own the bdp-95 and I am thinking about adding a dedicated cd player (Onkyo C-7000R). If only considering two channel sound on cds and sacds, would I get better performance from the Onkyo or the bdp-105? I dont mind having another Oppo but im primarily looking looking for the best two channel performance for a max budget of $1500. If the bdp-105 is a better choice, I could always move the bdp-95 to the bedroom. I will be connecting to a onkyo A9070 integrated amp. I would like the music to sound neutral/slightly warm and not harsh, bright, or thin. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
First off, the Onkyo C-7000R is only a CD player - it will NOT play SACD's.

Even if the Onkyo is a better CD player than the BDP-95, it's highly unlikely that it's going to be enough better to justify both the expense and the extra space it will take in your rack. If you purchase the Onkyo, make sure you purchase it from a place with a good return policy so you can send it back if you find it's no an upgrade. If you can find a local dealer who will lend you one to audition before purchase, that would be even better.

A BDP-105 would be a slight improvement over your BDP-95 for CD playback, but if that's the only reason you're looking to upgrade, I'm not sure it's enough of an upgrade to bother with. If you purchase direct from Oppo, you've got 30 days to evaluate it and decide. There are 1 or 2 reviewers who prefer the sound from Cambridge Audio's new player, so that's also an option to consider.

You don't say what the rest of your system consists of, but IMHO your money would likely be better spent upgrading to better speakers, adding room treatments to improve the acoustics, a better integrated amp, or even consider switching to an amp and using your Oppo as the preamp, depending on what other source devices you have in your system.
post #543 of 1649 Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

First off, the Onkyo C-7000R is only a CD player - it will NOT play SACD's.

Even if the Onkyo is a better CD player than the BDP-95, it's highly unlikely that it's going to be enough better to justify both the expense and the extra space it will take in your rack. If you purchase the Onkyo, make sure you purchase it from a place with a good return policy so you can send it back if you find it's no an upgrade. If you can find a local dealer who will lend you one to audition before purchase, that would be even better.

A BDP-105 would be a slight improvement over your BDP-95 for CD playback, but if that's the only reason you're looking to upgrade, I'm not sure it's enough of an upgrade to bother with. If you purchase direct from Oppo, you've got 30 days to evaluate it and decide. There are 1 or 2 reviewers who prefer the sound from Cambridge Audio's new player, so that's also an option to consider.

You don't say what the rest of your system consists of, but IMHO your money would likely be better spent upgrading to better speakers, adding room treatments to improve the acoustics, a better integrated amp, or even consider switching to an amp and using your Oppo as the preamp, depending on what other source devices you have in your system.
+1
There is also an option of modding your Oppo. EleonorD has done it and was extremely happy with the results - look several pages back in this thread
post #544 of 1649 Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How would you audiophiles rate the quality of the BDP-105s headphone amp? I mean compared to a certain price class for external headphone amps or maybe a specific amp product???
post #545 of 1649 Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Liked: 16
I'd like some advice on how to hook up the following for best Audio and Video:
Display LG 9600 55
Marantz SR7005
Squeezebox touch Currently hooked into AVR via RCA
Apple TV currently hooked into AVR via HDMI
Verizon Fios hooked into AVR vis HDMI.

I like to know what way is best to utilize the Oppo 105 for best Audio and Video.

Thanks.
post #546 of 1649 Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM

Has anyone had any issues with DolbyDigital-HD with OPPO BDP 105? I recently borrowed The Dark Knight from a friend and it sounded really bad, as if you had to really turn up the volume to get what you expected for an action movie of that caliber. So today I watched Ironman, which I`ve seen a ton of times through my speakers and got the same sound, not as dynamic as it should be. Both are DD-HD and I`m not real familiar with Dark Knight but I know Ironman and it sounded a lot better with my BDP-93. I recently added a new processor and neither have a problem with DTS-HD, only with DD-HD. Anyone have the same issues?
post #547 of 1649 Old 04-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post

Has anyone had any issues with DolbyDigital-HD with OPPO BDP 105? I recently borrowed The Dark Knight from a friend and it sounded really bad, as if you had to really turn up the volume to get what you expected for an action movie of that caliber. So today I watched Ironman, which I`ve seen a ton of times through my speakers and got the same sound, not as dynamic as it should be. Both are DD-HD and I`m not real familiar with Dark Knight but I know Ironman and it sounded a lot better with my BDP-93. I recently added a new processor and neither have a problem with DTS-HD, only with DD-HD. Anyone have the same issues?

It works fine for me. I posted some settings for you to check in the Anthem thread.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #548 of 1649 Old 04-09-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

My experience has been that DD-HD has allot of variance in how loud a soundtrack is mastered and recorded to disc. Not so much with DTS-HDMA.

Since this subject has come up, I've always been curious to know whether the studio logo (MGM, Fox, Paramount, Columbia etc) that plays at the beginning of a movie is an indication of how loud or soft the movie was recorded. I'm always at a loss to know just how high or low to set the volume on my pre-pro when I throw in an unfamiliar movie.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #549 of 1649 Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM

Guys, I've also got recently EVS modded Oppo - here is the story:

I used to own lots of different streamers: Linn Akurate DS, Olive, Yamaha NS-2000, Modwright Transporter.

Recently due to space/money limitations decided to consolidate audio/video system around Oppo BDP-105 (as there is
little of other options) + 5 active Spendor SA speakers.
I've tried BDP-95 prior to that to make sure it has all flexibility and it was just OK for me in terms of sound
but started to look for aftermarket mods.

For many years I was following EVS website as it's the oldest in modding business and Ric Schultz is sharing
lots of free tweaking info. Dan Wright is also a good modder and I liked tube Transporter from him however
without preamp/processor I didn't want stereo channels to be any different from the rest.

A few months ago decided to send Oppo to Ric. While it was uncomfortable to wait since he was just developing
these mods but when everything was finished finally party came to my house.
Turning on system for the first time just to play a few tunes ended up with an extended listening session way past midnight.
The sound is really interesting: absolutely relaxed with no sign of any sort of coloration.
There is a space between the sounds and can easily tell where musicians are during the performance.
Sure thing that with so high resolution poor recordings become more apparent.
In terms of dynamics it's only area I'm not sure as it's not slow but rather very relaxed.
One major thing that I'm really happy about is that it plays music well accross all genres, most of equipment I had before
favored certain type of music but in here it's an awesome all-rouder.
Video quality cannot comment on as I'm using small 42 inch TV.
Very glad to get rid of numerous components and to own such a system, thanks Ric!
post #550 of 1649 Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:

Simple fix! set the HDMI audio in the Oppo to "Bitstream" and not LPCM wink.gif
post #551 of 1649 Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Actually he's just posted in another thread that this "problem" is no longer happening. I suspect a simple case of user confusion with the new gear and options on the discs.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #552 of 1649 Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Actually he's just posted in another thread that this "problem" is no longer happening. I suspect a simple case of user confusion with the new gear and options on the discs.
--Bob

Hmm! anyway!

Hi Bob! whats the deal on the Netflix lockups its like a watch three shows freeze thing going on and requires a shut down and power up, do you know if its on the list of after Beta firmware installations as before the install, it worked just fine.
post #553 of 1649 Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ It's a problem from the Official firmware that was made more likely to happen in the Public Beta. The good news is that means it is easier to find and fix. I think OPPO should have a fix soon.
--Bob

post #554 of 1649 Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:

^ It's a problem from the Official firmware that was made more likely to happen in the Public Beta. The good news is that means it is easier to find and fix. I think OPPO should have a fix soon.
--Bob

When is the new software coming out?
post #555 of 1649 Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Ask Again Later; The Future is Hazy
--Bob

post #556 of 1649 Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View PostAsk Again Later; The Future is Hazy --Bob

Of course the future is unpredictable :(

post #557 of 1649 Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelly View Post

I'd like some advice on how to hook up the following for best Audio and Video:
Display LG 9600 55
Marantz SR7005
Squeezebox touch Currently hooked into AVR via RCA
Apple TV currently hooked into AVR via HDMI
Verizon Fios hooked into AVR vis HDMI.

I like to know what way is best to utilize the Oppo 105 for best Audio and Video.

Thanks.
Ii use the oppo 105 7.1 into the marantz 7.1 inputs and the 2 ch analog out of the oppo into the bd two channel analog in. I also used the two channel balanced out directly into an emotiva amp.
post #558 of 1649 Old 04-11-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:

--Bob

Turns out I got a faulty BDP 105. Their sending me a new one.
post #559 of 1649 Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone notice Oppo 105 dsd dff multi channel playback via analogue is wrong? Left and right channel appears on left and right surround as well. When u play dsd dff 2 ch the sound appears in surround as well. When I stream the dsd to my onkyo 5509 the mch playback is correct.
post #560 of 1649 Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 AM
jfz

I posted this over at the general Oppo 105 owners' site, but thought I might be more likely to get help here.

I need help with regard to programming my 105 to play songs (on CDs) in a specific personally chosen order. I have read the manual and still don't have a clue. I see "Random" and "Shuffle," but that's it. This is such a simple feature; that has been around for so long. It's hard for me to believe this can't be done. My 105 is not connected to a video screen, so I can't easily use a video screen to figure this out. It certainly does seem that a video screen should be needed, though. This is a very basic, standard feature on CD players!

Thanks...
post #561 of 1649 Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfz View Post

I posted this over at the general Oppo 105 owners' site, but thought I might be more likely to get help here.

I need help with regard to programming my 105 to play songs (on CDs) in a specific personally chosen order. I have read the manual and still don't have a clue. I see "Random" and "Shuffle," but that's it. This is such a simple feature; that has been around for so long. It's hard for me to believe this can't be done. My 105 is not connected to a video screen, so I can't easily use a video screen to figure this out. It certainly does seem that a video screen should be needed, though. This is a very basic, standard feature on CD players!

Thanks...
You already got answers to your question in the 105 owner's thread. Asking again here isn't going to get you any different answers: playlists can be created for music that's on attached USB drives, not on physical CD media, and you need a display attached in order to create the playlists.
post #562 of 1649 Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 AM
jfz

Quote:

You already got answers to your question in the 105 owner's thread. Asking again here isn't going to get you any different answers: playlists can be created for music that's on attached USB drives, not on physical CD media, and you need a display attached in order to create the playlists.

I got one answer, from one person. And I couldn't tell from his answer if he had actually tried it or not. This has been a feature almost from the beginning of CD players in the 1980s. My universal player prior to the 105 had it. Do you really think I'm being unreasonable to ask the question on this forum, the one that is devoted to people who are interested particularly in listening and sound (and therefore maybe this feature)? I just thought someone here might have figured out a way to do it. Again, because I'm incredulous that it would get dropped.
post #563 of 1649 Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

You posted your question in the other thread and got the first answer all of 10 minutes later. Nevertheless, 10 minutes after that you duplicate posted your question in this thread.

Patience is a virtue. Duplicate posting is not.
--Bob

post #564 of 1649 Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

I got one answer, from one person. And I couldn't tell from his answer if he had actually tried it or not. This has been a feature almost from the beginning of CD players in the 1980s. My universal player prior to the 105 had it. Do you really think I'm being unreasonable to ask the question on this forum, the one that is devoted to people who are interested particularly in listening and sound (and therefore maybe this feature)? I just thought someone here might have figured out a way to do it. Again, because I'm incredulous that it would get dropped.
The person who answered you is very active in the Oppo threads, has been around a long time, knows what he's talking about, is a beta tester, and is the maintainer of the unofficial FAQ for the player. You probably didn't get additional responses because his answer was accurate and there was no need for 30 people to repeat the same thing a bunch of times. If you would like the functionality changed, your best bet is to contact Oppo customer service. All we can do here is answer how the product works - we can't actually change how it works wink.gif.
post #565 of 1649 Old 04-15-2013, 11:26 AM
jfz

Quote:

You posted your question in the other thread and got the first answer all of 10 minutes later. Nevertheless, 10 minutes after that you duplicate posted your question in this thread.

Patience is a virtue. Duplicate posting is not.
--Bob

I am honestly troubled that I seem to have irritated both you and gsr. I simply realized after I'd posted on the other thread that this one made much more sense. I thought I had explained that, but I am nevertheless very sorry this has disturbed both of you.
post #566 of 1649 Old 04-15-2013, 11:40 AM
jfz

Quote:

The person who answered you is very active in the Oppo threads, has been around a long time, knows what he's talking about, is a beta tester, and is the maintainer of the unofficial FAQ for the player. You probably didn't get additional responses because his answer was accurate and there was no need for 30 people to repeat the same thing a bunch of times. If you would like the functionality changed, your best bet is to contact Oppo customer service. All we can do here is answer how the product works - we can't actually change how it works wink.gif.

Thank you, gsr. I have to admit that I didn't really understand what the person who originally answered my question was saying exactly; nor could I tell if he understood my question. In any case, I am sorry for your trouble. I think it's time for me to stop posting.
post #567 of 1649 Old 04-15-2013, 11:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

I am honestly troubled that I seem to have irritated both you and gsr. I simply realized after I'd posted on the other thread that this one made much more sense. I thought I had explained that, but I am nevertheless very sorry this has disturbed both of you.
The first thread you posted in was the better place to ask general questions about the 105 and therefore the better place for your question. This thread is intended to be more about how to get the best sound quality out of the player, rather than about general functions of the player.
Quote:

Thank you, gsr. I have to admit that I didn't really understand what the person who originally answered my question was saying exactly; nor could I tell if he understood my question. In any case, I am sorry for your trouble. I think it's time for me to stop posting.
If you didn't understand his answer, the logical next step is to ask a follow-up question to get clarification rather than post the same question in another thread. There's certainly no need to stop posting.

As far as not needing a display for such a feature on a traditional CD player, keep in mind that traditional CD players don't have video outputs. If Oppo were to add some sort of playlist functionality for CD's, it's very likely you would need a display in order to use it. And like I said in a previous post, if a feature that you want doesn't exist on the player your best course is to contact Oppo and let them know what you're looking for. They obviously don't implement every feature that's requested, but they do listen to their customers.
post #568 of 1649 Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Im thinking of buying another player Oppo- 105 or Sony SCD-XA-5400ES has anyone here compared the 2 units ?

I currently use a Denon DBT-3313UDCI and I'm wondering if either will be an upgrade for SACD

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #569 of 1649 Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

I would connect the dedicated analog RCA's out of the OPPO to the analog CD inputs on your Marantz. Use the CD setting when you want to listen to analog music (which uses the OPPO's DAC, and is really the benefit of the 105 over the 103).

Connect the HDMI2 out of the OPPO to the Marantz and HDMI1 out of the OPPO directly to the TV and select HDMI split in the OPPO menu. This will give you the best picture possible and allow you to get lossless audio through the Marantz.

Thanks a bunch for your reply. A problem with connecting the stereo analog out from the 105 to the Marantz is that my speakersetup is currently a 3.1 setup, with a powerful center channel speaker for dialogue. I would like to keep that center channel.

Any suggestions on how to connect the BDP-103 to the Peachtree Nova and Epson 8500 HomeCinema Projector, I have included pictures for reference. Thanks.

ps. I think connection to the Epson is a no brainer, so please disregard that request.
psps. I did some additional research and figured out what I need to do. Here it is -
The Nova has a built in DAC (ESS 9006 Sabre), will connect the optical out from the Oppo to the Nova
I will use the analog out on the Oppo to connect to my wireless headphones

Curious which DAC is better.. the one in Nova or the one in Oppo (??). I am thinking BDP-103(Cirrus logic CS4382A) < Nova (Sabre ESS 9006) < BDP-105 (Sabre ESS 9018 32 bit). Could anyone confirm?

This is getting interesting.. reading about the SABRE DAC here..http://www.esstech.com/PDF/sabrewp.pdf

Again my setup as follows -
Bedroom (BDP-103+Peachtree Nova, Epson projector)
Living room (BDP-105+Marantz 1602, LG Plasma TV)

I am beginning to understand now, how much out of league my Marantz 1602 is, when paired with the Oppo 105. That said, any suggestions on an alternative to the Marantz to pair with my Oppo 105? I like Marantz for its small foot print, airplay and audio/video switching capabilities. Sound quality seems decent but then again I may not know any better.

OR would I be better off pairing the 105 with the Nova instead, and pair the 103 with the Marantz.. I wonder... If I go this route, then I need to bypass the DAC on 103 and connect 103 to the Marantz by HDMI. On the other system in the bedroom, I could use the reference stereo out from Oppo 105 to connect to stereo in on the Nova. The more I think about this, more I am liking it. Seems to be a better way to use/pair the components I have.

I think I will leave the 105 with the Marantz and the 103 with the Nova for now. As one of you explained, I will attach analog out from Oppo to analog in of Marantz and also hook up a HDMI cable from Oppo to Marantz. This way I have a good DAC in both my rooms.

post #570 of 1649 Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 PM

Is there a high end amplifier anyone would recommend that has a small footprint like the Marantz 1602 to pair with a BDP-105? I need it to power stereo and a center channel speaker at the least. If possible a sub too although its optional,since I have a powered sub I can directly connect to the Oppo.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page