Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1686 Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Decooney,

Give it more time . You were playing music through it in that 24 hour period? Just leaving it on will not change the sonic signature of the unit. In my experience it will start to open up more in the soundstaging and the detail areas and will remain "detailed" but not be as "bright" as you are hearing it now. It took my unit a good 96 hours of constant usage of both CD's and Blu-ray's running through it before the smoothness emerged. I also used the Purist audio design break in CD playing through it. I have Signal cables silver speaker cabling and Wilson Watt puppies which can be very revealing of "bright sounding" components if they are in the chain. Not a problem with the BDP-105. When I compared my Ayre CX-7e against the BDP-105 the major difference was in soundstage itself. Neither was bad, the Ayre was more row 4 center (up front) and the Oppo is a little further back in row 10 in the presentation of the orchestral soundstage.There was no contest comparing it to my Panasonic BD-30 Blu-ray player! Not even close with the Panasonic unit.
Arashjahn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1686 Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Well, here we go, buiding a new system for a smallish 5.1 theater/music room, should be fun.

Here's my system:
Marantz AV8801 Pre-amp/Processor
Parasound A51 amp
Monitor Audio GS-Series speakers (GS-60 fronts, GS-LCR center, GS-FX rears)
JL Audio F110 subwoofer
Oppo BDP-105 universal player
Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player
Furman Elite PF-15 conditioner
Pioneer Elite PDP-4280 Kuro 42in plasma TV
(looking for decent priced 3D projector and retractable screen)

With the AV8801 being limited to one pair of XLR INP's I'm a little perplexed in regards to which disc player favor's better for 2ch analog OUT? The Oppo BDP-105 or the Sony SCD-XA5400ES? I own a large collection of redbook CD's, SACD's and DVD'A's.

This will be difficult to determine in my situation as, due to physical constraints, it will be nearly impossible to swap connections back-and-forth. Once things are configured my large rack will be moved into place.

One knowledgeable source explained that I should not even waist my time connecting the BDP-105 analog OUT's (XLR or RCA), but to bypass them and use only a digital coax connection, he thought the Marantz yielded better DAC's? hmmmm........? I may just connect, both, 2ch XLR OUT's and digital coax.
post #33 of 1686 Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

One knowledgeable source explained that I should not even waist my time connecting the BDP-105 analog OUT's (XLR or RCA), but to bypass them and use only a digital coax connection, he thought the Marantz yielded better DAC's?

If that is true, then you could have saved some $$$ and just gone with the BDP-103.

Stephen Powell
post #34 of 1686 Old 01-17-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepow View Post

If that is true, then you could have saved some $$$ and just gone with the BDP-103.
yeah, he actually encouraged me to just get the BDP-103. But I preferred to have the updated analog section of the BDP-105, and take advantage of the balanced XLR connections on, both, the Marantz and the Oppo.
post #35 of 1686 Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
What do owners of newer AVRs with Audyssey XT32 think of the sound quality versus the 105 analog?
post #36 of 1686 Old 01-17-2013, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am running the BDP-105 in my headphone system/home recording studio environment. The Oppo sends its output via Belden XLR cables to a Nelson Pass-built First Watt F1 (JFET upgraded) current-source amplifier that drives the AKG K1000, HiFiMan HE-6 and Audeze LCD-3. The BDP-105's built-in headphone amp drives the Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamics T1 and Denon AH-D7000. The RCA stereo outputs feed a pair of studio monitors. The power protection is the HTPS 7000MkII balanced power source. Prior to this Oppo upgrade, the Benchmark DAC1 was the mastering DAC for my studio; though some differences were apparent immediately, over the last month I have developed a greater appreciation for the BDP-105 and the nuances it presents. I've had the Benchmark DAC1 in my system for a long time and also DACs using the classic TDA1541A chip and each had their merits. The DAC1 was very clean and neutral while the TDA-based DACs were perhaps more musical yet not as honest (the macro-details were lost at times). The BDP-105 and its ESS DAC implementation is revealing, honest and musical. I'm enjoying it. cool.gif

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #37 of 1686 Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Well, here we go, buiding a new system for a smallish 5.1 theater/music room, should be fun.

Here's my system:
Marantz AV8801 Pre-amp/Processor
Parasound A51 amp
Monitor Audio GS-Series speakers (GS-60 fronts, GS-LCR center, GS-FX rears)
JL Audio F110 subwoofer
Oppo BDP-105 universal player
Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD player
Furman Elite PF-15 conditioner
Pioneer Elite PDP-4280 Kuro 42in plasma TV
(looking for decent priced 3D projector and retractable screen)

Hi, this is my first post here... I'm looking for a new SACD/CD/DVD-A to replace my old Lexicon RT20 in a stereo only system... in your setup I see two of my options: Oppo BDP-105 and Sony SCD-XA5400ES... is possible you can give some comparison of both players using SACD/CD and XLR outputs?
Thanks in advance.
post #38 of 1686 Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

What do owners of newer AVRs with Audyssey XT32 think of the sound quality versus the 105 analog?

Hi Sarge!

I have the Onkyo 818 hooked on the 105 through HDMI and through Analog.
So far, while I like the multichannel sound when watching Bluray with Audyssey engaged, I found better 'realistic' soundstage using analog 'pure audio' mode when listening to audio.
All voices or instruments are better positioned and the result is a more detailed and pleasing sound quality.
Listening to some 2L recordings (OLE BULL Violin Concertos (192kHz) and PSALLAT ECCLESIA - Medieval Norwegian sequences) is pure pleasure.
I feel that Audyssey is doing a fine job, but may 'blur' a little bit the recording. Not an issue with movies, certainly with audio only.

my 2 cents.
Kami
post #39 of 1686 Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alever View Post

I had the same initial impression, but the sound definitely mellowed out over time. I've had my BDP-105 for about a month now and I'm extremely impressed with the sound quality over my BDP-83E. Hope to put together a more detailed review in the next few days.

Put a bluray in last night and let it run for about 4 hours and can definitely hear a difference today... estimate I'm at about 40 hours on the XLR outputs. It keeps getting better!
post #40 of 1686 Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbnmjk View Post

Hi, this is my first post here... I'm looking for a new SACD/CD/DVD-A to replace my old Lexicon RT20 in a stereo only system... in your setup I see two of my options: Oppo BDP-105 and Sony SCD-XA5400ES... is possible you can give some comparison of both players using SACD/CD and XLR outputs?
Thanks in advance.
yes, I plan to once everything's set-up, will be a few weeks.
post #41 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:

yeah, he actually encouraged me to just get the BDP-103. But I preferred to have the updated analog section of the BDP-105, and take advantage of the balanced XLR connections on, both, the Marantz and the Oppo.

That's what I did , and I'm waiting out the remnants of a cold to judge fairly between the two so far the Oppo 105's balanced outs are a must have for tonality but the 8801's dac via hdmi are putting up a damm good fight, I hope to post on this soon!
post #42 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As Iv'e come to find out ( my first Audyssey go) My room is well treated and I previously used a Oppo 95 Anthem avm 20 combo via it 7.1 and xlr inputs for all high res playback the addition of Audyssey was signifigant for room integration which is primary for good sound , what was clear and defined before is by Audyssey standards dull muddy lifeless!
post #43 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:

yes, I plan to once everything's set-up, will be a few weeks.

I'll be waiting... thanks...
post #44 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

As Iv'e come to find out ( my first Audyssey go) My room is well treated and I previously used a Oppo 95 Anthem avm 20 combo via it 7.1 and xlr inputs for all high res playback the addition of Audyssey was signifigant for room integration which is primary for good sound , what was clear and defined before is by Audyssey standards dull muddy lifeless!

Hi Audiofan1,
Not sure to catch it correctly: Do you mean that the addition of Audyssey does improve the sound to that point? If yes I'll have to redo my calibration and check again...

Best
Kami
post #45 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 AM

Liked: 18
Well, got the XPA-5 amp last night, hooked it up and watched my first movie in DTS HD 5.1 with no processor - straight from the 105 to the power amp. Worked pretty well. Previously I was only using this method for 2-channel straight to a XPA-200 amp. I sold my AVR to get ready for the Emo XPA-1 processor when it comes out but I may not even bother now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RouslanB View Post

I am using Oppo BDP-105 straight into my Emotiva XPA-2 power amp using balanced XLR cables with -20dB audiophile grade attenuators.

What are the attenuators for?
post #46 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrius View Post

Hi Sarge!

I have the Onkyo 818 hooked on the 105 through HDMI and through Analog.
So far, while I like the multichannel sound when watching Bluray with Audyssey engaged, I found better 'realistic' soundstage using analog 'pure audio' mode when listening to audio.
All voices or instruments are better positioned and the result is a more detailed and pleasing sound quality.
Listening to some 2L recordings (OLE BULL Violin Concertos (192kHz) and PSALLAT ECCLESIA - Medieval Norwegian sequences) is pure pleasure.
I feel that Audyssey is doing a fine job, but may 'blur' a little bit the recording. Not an issue with movies, certainly with audio only.

my 2 cents.
Kami

Hi Kami,

Thanks for your input. The trend I keep seeing from 105 owners is that the analog is generally preferred. When I auditioned the 95, I actually did prefer the analog compared to my Pioneer with MCACC activated. My main dilemma is that I want to go to a 9/11.2 system and take advantage of Audyssey XT32. Since very few blurays are actually mastered in 7.1 (or 6.1 like Star Wars), that really means you are getting just 5.1 through analog. I am not sure what I would prefer at this point: staying with just 7.1 and 105 analog for superior sound, or having "digital" sound with more speaker channels.

When you mention not an issue with movies, I take it you activate audyssey with movies, and then use analog for music? That might be the best solution yet.
post #47 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 09:18 AM

First, I've never really been a believer in break-in, burn-in or whatever you want to call it. I do believe mechanical components have to "settle in" (think speakers) and may show some improvement over time, and I guess that concept would apply to some extent to other electronics in the chain. My background is in music and sound engineering, but haven't done either professionally in more than 20 years. In fact, I was exiting the industry just as digital was entering, so I have almost zero professional experience with modern, digital professional recording equipment. There was a period in the late 80's where I was in the studio either engineering tracks, or playing guitar, 3 - 5 days a week, so though I lack any current technical knowledge, I still have a pretty good ear, and an understanding of proper room setup/recording techniques.

When I first hooked up my 105 via XLRs to my AVM 50v and ran some Analog Direct music via the disc tray, or via the front USB, it sounded pretty good. My first attempts at the Asynchronous USB, using Songbird/iTunes and hi-rez files (FLAC CD rips) were a little disappointing. Pretty harsh and ragged in the upper registers, and generally a "forward" presentation. Since then I have made some subtle changes to my system. Unfortunately, I'm not one to try one thing, test it, report results, then try another... I like to try several things at once, so I can't possibly know at the end of it, what made the most difference! lol rolleyes.gif

Here are the changes so far:
1. Setup an Analog DSP path in the AVM 50v (just for comparison sake), and adjusted the Analog Input levels to -12dB to remove any signs of input clipping on the AVM 50's analog inputs
2. Changed music servers to Pure Music
3. Since adding Pure Music, I've had a lot more Asynch USB play time (this has been my primary music source over the past few days playing hi-rez HD Tracks downloads, down to 256kbps/44.1khz iTunes downloads - which generally have the worst treble presentation you'll find)
4. I also let a bluray run all night last night... about 10 hours... estimate that I am somewhere in the 50-60 hour mark with the 105

And... this morning the highs, which were slightly ragged sounding out of the box, have mellowed considerably. The sibilance that was there on vocals is almost completely gone, and the overall sound is warmer and more natural. Steve Perry's breathy vocals are now almost smooth as silk, where they were almost unlistenable last week.

Listing to Eric Johnson "Ah Via Musicom" on CD via Analog XLRs right now. This CD has some of the best drum kit audio, especially the snare drum and cymbals. Earlier this week, the cymbals sounded shrill and very forward. Today they are much more relaxed, with less shrill and more air. The snare is snappy, quick, tight and weighty but without the low end harmonics that shouldn't be there anyway... exactly how it should sound. Vocals continue to improve also, with less sibilance.

I will continue to let a bluray play overnight for the next couple of nights to see if the improvement continues. But suffice to say, I'm getting happier everyday with the Analog section of the 105!
post #48 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 11:11 AM

Hello, sombody have the opportunity of compare Oppo BDP-105 as DAC in stereo only with Proceed AVP or AVP2 internal DAC?
post #49 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrius View Post

Hi Audiofan1,
Not sure to catch it correctly: Do you mean that the addition of Audyssey does improve the sound to that point? If yes I'll have to redo my calibration and check again...

Best
Kami

Correct! it took several runs of Audyssey ( and reading or skimming through the Audyssey thread) before I came to this conclusion, Movies and multi/ch sacd mostly benifit from the RC and I must say the 8801 alone with no Audyssey is a beast! on multi/ch playback. At the moment I'm still getting a handle on the 8801's 2ch with and without Audyssey, but this is why I have the 105 for the xlr outs and can only say that they are different in the presentation of the source they are playing. I have new xlr' cables, new power conditioner , new surrounds and sub as well all burning in:eek: for a month now at around 400 hrs of playback and will post my findings soon!
Arashjahn likes this.
post #50 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 PM

On the subject of burn in I have two real life experiences to throw on the table.

On a lesser note I bought a Sony SACD player a while after SACD came to the fore in audiophile circles, My Ayre CX-7 was my main player then and probably a year old-the player was DVP-NS900V-I ran the player on repeat for about 75 hours-concentrating on a handful of tracks bot CD and SACD and compiled notes as triggers to help assess, I repeated this several times and honestly heard no difference-I tried a few SACDs over a few months (some of the early SACD's were awful) but eventually gave up on the player-it never sounded any better and it never came close to matching the Ayre-you know what I believe the key is here-I never listened to the Sony a lot, it never grabbed me and as such I never adjusted to the sound.

On a more serious and fundamental note and I think the key to what happens is a completely different experience. In my early 30's I noticed a sudden change in my hearing overnight and I clearly struggled to hear as well as I had previously, mostly I had to listen things louder. I was diagnosed with Otosclerosis and eventually when I was about 40 I went for a stapedectomy-basically I have a bionic ear-as a result I have almost perfect hearing in that ear and a fair bit of loss in the other-this was tested recently.

After I got my packing out I was told that my hearing would sound funny but my brain would adjust relatively quickly. Apart from the shock of having a dramatic restoration to my hearing things did indeed sound odd. My most striking memory was that voices sounded odd I remember almost giggling out loud at a workmate who's voice sounded extremely high pitched and almost like Donald Duck. Though it was true relatively quickly everything adjusted and settled down-everything started to sound like it did or indeed should.

I think what happens is quite simple-our ability to hear is very accurate but so is our desire to extract pleasure from it-when we put a different reference point in-we will initially hear the differences- over time our brains will adjust to filter those annoying parts out and increase the parts we enjoy-when you hear break in testimonies they follow an almost identical path which to me sounds like their brain is adjusting their interpretation of what they are hearing.

Of course there are fundamentals to this-I'm not suggesting if you replace an expensive component with a rubbish one you won't hear the difference of course you will and I'm also not suggesting my experience is the universal one but it is what I believe on the basis of what I've heard.

No obvious jibes please about a guy with an obvious hearing problem history.biggrin.gif
post #51 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbnmjk View Post

Hello, sombody have the opportunity of compare Oppo BDP-105 as DAC in stereo only with Proceed AVP or AVP2 internal DAC?

Now, that _would_ be quite interesting. If you do this comparison, do let us know. I suspect the BDP-105 would trounce it with a USB input, but the Proceed might draw even if you're forced to use S/PDIF.

Last night I spent a few minutes calibrating the input attenuation on my No. 38 so I can do a fair A/B comparison of the BDP-105 with a Benchmark DAC-1, both accepting S/PDIF inputs. I should have something to report by end of Monday.
post #52 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 01:51 PM

I've never been able to get the test tone sounds. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

On the plus side, the video works normally on my monitor when I switch the input from the 105 on my receiver to stereo only or analogue multi-channel. Still hard to hear the differences. All three inputs feature superb audio SQ.

Sent from my iPad

- Andy
post #53 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajglass View Post

I've never been able to get the test tone sounds. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

On the plus side, the video works normally on my monitor when I switch the input from the 105 on my receiver to stereo only or analogue multi-channel. Still hard to hear the differences. All three inputs feature superb audio SQ.

Sent from my iPad

The Test Tones in Speaker Configuration will only happen on the Analog outputs, and will only happen if there isn't content currently loaded/paused. I.e., eject any disc in the tray.

Select the Test Tone line to turn on the tones (the message below will indicate the Tones are now on), and then scroll around to each speaker to hear the tone on the Analog outs.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #54 of 1686 Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Hi Kami,

Thanks for your input. The trend I keep seeing from 105 owners is that the analog is generally preferred. When I auditioned the 95, I actually did prefer the analog compared to my Pioneer with MCACC activated. My main dilemma is that I want to go to a 9/11.2 system and take advantage of Audyssey XT32. Since very few blurays are actually mastered in 7.1 (or 6.1 like Star Wars), that really means you are getting just 5.1 through analog. I am not sure what I would prefer at this point: staying with just 7.1 and 105 analog for superior sound, or having "digital" sound with more speaker channels.

When you mention not an issue with movies, I take it you activate audyssey with movies, and then use analog for music? That might be the best solution yet.

Correct; Full HDMI for Video playing with AVR doing all the job, and full analog for audio, si 2 different channels on my AVR (BD/DVD for video and CD for analog audio.
I limit myself to 5.1 at this time since I do 80% audio and that I bi-amp my fronts from my 818.
I may revisit my audyssey setup since some poster are finding its addition worth to Audio also.
Kami
post #55 of 1686 Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:

You need to listen to the audussey digitally processed sound versus the analog sounds for yourself. Some people i suspect will prefer one over the other. I am keeping my 105 because of the analog sound. I am really enjoying the clean, clear, precise, presentation of the original recorded sound stage as it was made to be. I think depending on the quality of your system will likely determine which way you go.

As a start listen to an avr with pure direct. It will allow you switch between audussey and audussey bypassed..then you can start to hear the difference.

For me I use audussey for movies only. For music i use the analog. Once in a while, i may choose to listen in audussey if it is just background music.
post #56 of 1686 Old 01-19-2013, 06:41 AM

I had the same problem. I found out that the test tones will not sound if a disc is being played.
post #57 of 1686 Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The Cambridge Audio 752BD based on the Oppo BDP105 has just been released and is already for sale now at approximately the same price here in Hong Kong.

I would love to hear from anyone any noteworthy difference in sound quality between the 105 and the 752. I listen more to music than watch movies, I have a big collection of HD flac files and rip my CDs as wave files on a Synology NAS streaming into my Marantz SR7005.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #58 of 1686 Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by abacustrader View Post

You need to listen to the audussey digitally processed sound versus the analog sounds for yourself. Some people i suspect will prefer one over the other. I am keeping my 105 because of the analog sound. I am really enjoying the clean, clear, precise, presentation of the original recorded sound stage as it was made to be. I think depending on the quality of your system will likely determine which way you go.

As a start listen to an avr with pure direct. It will allow you switch between audussey and audussey bypassed..then you can start to hear the difference.

For me I use Audussey for movies only. For music i use the analog. Once in a while, i may choose to listen in audussey if it is just background music.

I never used Audyssey or any room correction mainly because I like high quality two channel for music, but I also use the same system for my tv. I get enough of the surround sound effects in movies from "phantom surround" just from two speakers and a sub.

I'd bet a lot of folks with a nice high-end system built for mostly music enjoyment, that processing would only degrade the sound quality, as long as the speakers are good for the room and care taken with speaker positioning and set up.

But I might try the Anti mode device someday for low frequency tuning.
post #59 of 1686 Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 PM

When I first played a CD on the 105, I have to admit it sounded a bit "thin" compared to my Classe CDP-102. I am not letting it burn in to see if that improves the sound.

Is the best way to listen to Flac files using a USB thumb drive plugged into the front panel? Or should I be using a "music player" on my mac? If so what player is the best sounding one?

Also is only the USB input on the rear "asynchronous"? Are the front panel ones also?

Thanks in advance.
post #60 of 1686 Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 841
^ Only the special USB port in the back is Asynchronous because only that port is directly connected to the DACs.

The other USB ports are for reading files off attached drives. (Or for other uses such as attaching a USB keyboard or the Wifi dongle.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page