post #721 of 1629 Old 06-20-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

^The dsd files sound awesome!! They have to be streamed via a thumb drive or network drive....that's the only two ways to play a dsd file on the 105 now....typical file sizes for a 60 minute, 2-channel, dsd album will be about 2.5 Gb. A multichannel(5.1) equivalent will be 5 Gb.

Yes.  MCH DSD is

Mahler #1 (DFF) = 5.8Gb

Mahler #5 (DFF) = 7.7Gb

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1629 Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Ok I asked this in the other OPPO thread, what would give me the best music?

Mac mini SSD with Audirvana plugging in the OPPO BDP-105 Silver with Option

1. USB Cable

2. HDMi Cable

I responded in the 105 Owner's Thread.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #723 of 1629 Old 06-21-2013, 01:02 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 279

Whoa large files :)

post #724 of 1629 Old 06-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Whats a good source for DSD file download would like to try DSD multi ch over Ethernet

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #725 of 1629 Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1usedcomp View Post

Whats a good source for DSD file download would like to try DSD multi ch over Ethernet
http://dsd-guide.com/where-can-you-find-dsd-music-downloads

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #726 of 1629 Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Liked: 35
I've experimented with hooking up my Opp 105 to my Marantz 8801 via the m-ch analog outs, and I while I generally prefer the analog sound, I don't have any output from the subwoofer out! I connected it directly to my woofer as a test, but there's no signal (I tired directly connecting one of the other outputs, and it did work). The subwoofer is ON according to the Audio Processing Speaker Configuration page, so I can only assume I have a defective unit. Interestingly, I tried a Restore Factory Settings reset, and now the Test Tone is grey-out so I can't turn it on! Grr...

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
post #727 of 1629 Old 06-21-2013, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

I've experimented with hooking up my Opp 105 to my Marantz 8801 via the m-ch analog outs, and I while I generally prefer the analog sound, I don't have any output from the subwoofer out! I connected it directly to my woofer as a test, but there's no signal (I tired directly connecting one of the other outputs, and it did work). The subwoofer is ON according to the Audio Processing Speaker Configuration page, so I can only assume I have a defective unit. Interestingly, I tried a Restore Factory Settings reset, and now the Test Tone is grey-out so I can't turn it on! Grr...

Might you have been playing a DSD source?

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge
Parasound JC-3 phono stage & JC-2 analog preamp
Oppo 105 & Sony 5400ES disc players
Proceed HPA 2 & 3 amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds (with matching KUBEs)
Velodyne SMS-1 ARC & 2 HGS-15 subs
Sony VPL VW50 projector
post #728 of 1629 Old 06-21-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

Might you have been playing a DSD source?

db

Yes, an SACD.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
post #729 of 1629 Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

The Test Tones in Setup are not available when a disc is loaded or media file content is playing. Stop whatever's playing and eject the disc and the Test Tones should now be accessible again.

Start by using the Test Tones to verify that cabling to the Subwoofer is working. This will also confirm that the Analog audio output stage to that Subwoofer jack is functioning.

Next check with a calibration disc that can send tones to the individual speaker channels (including LFE channel content directed to the Subwoofer). I recommend the LPCM test tracks from AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray. This will confirm that LFE content really is getting to the Sub.

Next check that you have the rest of your speakers set correctly as LARGE or SMALL. Setting a speaker to LARGE means you want that speaker to handle ALL its own bass. A SMALL speaker will have a portion of its bass sent to the Subwoofer according to the Crossover frequency setting you have chosen.

If *ALL* the speakers are set to LARGE, then the Subwoofer will get no output except for what's present on the LFE channel (the ".1" of "5.1" or "7.1" tracks). For music discs, it's not uncommon for there to be NO audio in the LFE channel. Which means the Sub output will be silent unless you have some speakers set to SMALL.

Finally, certain styles of playback BYPASS audio processing in the player. This includes playing an SACD with SACD Output DSD set, or playing stereo content coming in on the Asynchronous USB DAC Input. For both of those cases the audio is passed DIRECTLY to the DACs for conversion to Analog output, thus bypassing any audio processing in the player. And in particular, that means no Crossover processing. So, just as if you had all speakers set to LARGE, the Sub output will be silent unless there is content present in the LFE channel. Of course if you are playing stereo content (like a CD, or audio coming in on that DAC Input) there *IS NO* LFE channel.

If after all of this you are still not getting any Subwoofer output, double check your cabling. Be sure you are actually plugged into the Subwoofer RCA output jack in the multi-channel set. At the Subwoofer, be sure you are plugged into its "line level" input. The Sub may also have a "high voltage" or "speaker level" input, but that's not the one you want to use.

Note also that the Volume adjustment on the Subwoofer may need to be tweaked to hear the Sub's output. (The volume present on the Subwoofer RCA output jack needs to be boosted +10dB to match the other RCA outputs if ALL speakers are LARGE, or +15dB if ANY speakers are SMALL. So your existing Volume knob setting on the Sub may make it audible when connected to a main speaker jack, but too soft to be heard when connected to the Subwoofer jack.)
--Bob
DanF8500 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #730 of 1629 Old 06-22-2013, 12:14 AM

After trying everything else you suggested to no avail, I set the SACD output to PCM, and suddenly I have signal through the woofer! Thank you very much. Now, I have to decide if I can handle the thought of DSD converted to PCM, which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place! smile.gif

post #731 of 1629 Old 06-22-2013, 12:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ All that means is that the SACD you were playing doesn't have any content in the LFE channel. That's actually quite common. All the bass is authored into the regular speaker channels.

If you don't mind your speakers being treated as LARGE (no Crossover processing steering bass from them to the Sub) then you can use DSD. The Sub will be silent because that's the way the SACD was authored.

If your main speakers need the support of a Sub -- need to be SMALL -- then set SACD Output PCM. Don't be worried about using PCM. The sound is essentially identical
--Bob

post #732 of 1629 Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

If you were playing an SACD disc, did you check to see if it was 5.0 or a 5.1? Many multi-channel SACD discs do not have a .1, or LFE channel, so there would be nothing going out on the sub-woofer channel, when in DSD mode (as opposed to changing, as you did, to PCM).
Someone more savvy than me may correct me on that one. See if you have an SACD disc which claims to be a 5.1 SACD recording, and see if you get a sub-woofer feed in DSD mode.
post #733 of 1629 Old 06-22-2013, 01:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

You can check SACD channel output using tracks 43-48 of the 5.1 program on "Stay in Tune with PentaTone", SACD. Track 48 is the LFE (subwoofer) channel.

Note however that PentaTone ALSO follows the practice of authoring SACD music with nothing in the LFE channel. So the musical samples on this disc are all really 5.0 although they will show as 5.1. The LFE channel is present but silent.
--Bob

post #734 of 1629 Old 06-22-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ All that means is that the SACD you were playing doesn't have any content in the LFE channel. That's actually quite common. All the bass is authored into the regular speaker channels.

If you don't mind your speakers being treated as LARGE (no Crossover processing steering bass from them to the Sub) then you can use DSD. The Sub will be silent because that's the way the SACD was authored.

If your main speakers need the support of a Sub -- need to be SMALL -- then set SACD Output PCM. Don't be worried about using PCM. The sound is essentially identical
--Bob

OK, thank you. Do you happen to know the PCM conversion rate of the 105? I have to admit that it sounds fine with the PCM setting, but it's hard to do a quick A/B comparison with the time-lag involved in making the switch between formats.

post #735 of 1629 Old 06-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Read the FAQ!

DSD is converted to LPCM at 88.2KHz. This rate is necessary to impose the equivalent of the 50KHz low-pass filter implemented in a DSD DAC to eliminate the noise pushed up to higher frequencies by "noise shaping" in SACD. I.e., a higher sampling rate for LPCM retains quantization noise above 50KHz that is nothing but an artifact of the quantization error of DSD magnified (and moved up in frequency beyond 20KHz) by the "noise shaping" technique of SACD.

(With SACD Output DSD, the DAC in the player applies the 50KHz filter directly.)
--Bob

post #736 of 1629 Old 06-22-2013, 01:55 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Any one uses AUDIRVANA with iTune and a Mac, and feeds the Oppo throughout USB?
Pbnmjk likes this.
post #737 of 1629 Old 06-22-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:

After trying everything else you suggested to no avail, I set the SACD output to PCM, and suddenly I have signal through the woofer! Thank you very much. Now, I have to decide if I can handle the thought of DSD converted to PCM, which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place! smile.gif

It seems that every disc I was trying, even some pipe organ recordings, were all 5.0, not 5.1, so obviously there was no LFE! I finally came across one that is 5.1, and the woofer works just fine. It wouldn't hurt the companies to label their discs as 5.0 or 5.1. I set it back to DSD, and the sub still works, so all is well.

post #738 of 1629 Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

It wouldn't hurt the companies to label their discs as 5.0 or 5.1.
There are lots of sacds that are 4.0, 4.1, or 5.0. And they are all labelled 5.1. Dvd-audio is often misrepresented as well. Companies and sellers of surround music are very neglectful and it is often up to the buyer to do the research to uncover the true specs.

Oppo BDP-105 Player
Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Tube Amp x 3
Paradigm Studio 60 v.2 x 3 Speakers
Paradigm Studio ADP-470 v.3 x 2 Speakers
Paradigm Seismic-10 Subwoofer
post #739 of 1629 Old 06-22-2013, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Process53 View Post

There are lots of sacds that are 4.0, 4.1, or 5.0. And they are all labelled 5.1. Dvd-audio is often misrepresented as well. Companies and sellers of surround music are very neglectful and it is often up to the buyer to do the research to uncover the true specs.

Most of my classical SACDs are not labeled...they just say "Multi-Channel SACD"--not especially helpful! Anyway, I'm glad there's nothing wrong with either my 105 or my Marantz 8801!

post #740 of 1629 Old 06-22-2013, 05:18 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View PostAny one uses AUDIRVANA with iTune and a Mac, and feeds the Oppo throughout USB?

Thank you Oppo :)

"Select the USB AUDIO IN input on the player.

Switched your Sound Device on your Mac from your computer speakers to the player. Click on the volume/speaker icon in your taskbar on your Mac and change the audio devices to USB OPPO."

post #741 of 1629 Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 PM

Cleaning out the garage this afternoon and stumbled on a disc I didn't even know I had: REM - Best of REM on DVD-A! The OPPO sees both the 5.1 96/24 and stereo 192/24 tracks, and it sounds GLORIOUS! smile.gif Just ripped it to FLAC to play through the ASync USB, but I think the shiny disc might sound a little better. Either way, it's one of the best sounding disc's/files in my catalog.
post #742 of 1629 Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Any one uses AUDIRVANA with iTune and a Mac, and feeds the Oppo throughout USB?

I do this on occasion (like when I want access to my entire catalog, which is in iTunes). Normally, I'll use Audirvana to play FLAC files without integrating to iTunes. I do have to say that Audirvana + iTunes sounds pretty good.
post #743 of 1629 Old 06-25-2013, 07:08 PM

Liked: 10
Hi

I am new to oppo 105,just got a silver 105 ,it will be set up as a 2 channel CD player using XLR out to a McIntosh C220 into a Bryston 4BSST2,driving a Focusaudio FS-788 speakers in a room 15x18x8

I have only done Vinyl up to this point using a Clearaudio Concept TT

Have some SACDs and redbook CDs

Will chime in with my opinion after a breakin period ,it will be a first step into Digital

Any hints I should Know for oppo setup in Menu
post #744 of 1629 Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveramp View Post

Welcome to AVSForum.

The manual has setup advice for many audio configurations.

Otherwise, see the FAQ: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

-Bill
post #745 of 1629 Old 06-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveramp View Post

Hi

I am new to oppo 105,just got a silver 105 ,it will be set up as a 2 channel CD player using XLR out to a McIntosh C220 into a Bryston 4BSST2,driving a Focusaudio FS-788 speakers in a room 15x18x8

I have only done Vinyl up to this point using a Clearaudio Concept TT

Have some SACDs and redbook CDs

Will chime in with my opinion after a breakin period ,it will be a first step into Digital

I would be interested in your thoughts since I never owned a turntable and would like to purchase one

Preamp: NOS Valves NBS Preamplifier
Selah Tempestas
BMC Pure Dac - Mac Mini
VPI Classic 2
post #746 of 1629 Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would be interested in your thoughts since I never owned a turntable and would like to purchase one

Me too an entry level TT I just got 50 LPs from a friend who is getting rid of his LPs
post #747 of 1629 Old 06-26-2013, 03:42 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

I do this on occasion (like when I want access to my entire catalog, which is in iTunes). Normally, I'll use Audirvana to play FLAC files without integrating to iTunes. I do have to say that Audirvana + iTunes sounds pretty good.

Yes, I can't listen to iTunes alone anymore?
post #748 of 1629 Old 06-26-2013, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I've tried vinyl again after more than two decades away. I have a Thorens TD 124 turntable and an SME 3009 Series III arm with an Ortofon SME 30H cartridge. The phono stage is Channel Island Audio with separate power supply. The sound of the phono stage seems quite good, but that's the piece I'll upgrade. I've compared the sound of SACD and $50 vinyl recordings of the Bill Evans Trio Jazz at the Pawnshop and the Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out. The sound is remarkably similar and superb, with perhaps just a slight advantage to the vinyl. The 105 is connected to balanced inputs of a Cary Cinema 11a set to bypass. The amps are Proceed HPA 2 and 3 that drive KEF R107/2 mains and R102 surrounds for MCH.

My cousin returned the many old LPs I had given him when I bought the turntable, and I am slowly building a collection of high-end vinyl. For me, playing a recording using the beautiful TD 124 and intricate SME arm is a joy, but I admit playing an SACD is much easier. We use the 105 for stereo, MCH, and Blu-ray projected onto a 100" screen. The table and disc player are each nice in their own way, and having both is a delight -- actually we also have a Sony XA-5400ES connected to the Cary via HDMI.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge
Parasound JC-3 phono stage & JC-2 analog preamp
Oppo 105 & Sony 5400ES disc players
Proceed HPA 2 & 3 amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds (with matching KUBEs)
Velodyne SMS-1 ARC & 2 HGS-15 subs
Sony VPL VW50 projector
post #749 of 1629 Old 06-26-2013, 09:15 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View PostI've tried vinyl again after more than two decades away. I have a Thorens TD 124 turntable and an SME 3009 Series III arm with an Ortofon SME 30H cartridge. The phono stage is Channel Island Audio with separate power supply. The sound of the phono stage seems quite good, but that's the piece I'll upgrade. I've compared the sound of SACD and $50 vinyl recordings of the Bill Evans Trio Jazz at the Pawnshop and the Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out. The sound is remarkably similar and superb, with perhaps just a slight advantage to the vinyl. The 105 is connected to balanced inputs of a Cary Cinema 11a set to bypass. The amps are Proceed HPA 2 and 3 that drive KEF R107/2 mains and R102 surrounds for MCH.

My cousin returned the many old LPs I had given him when I bought the turntable, and I am slowly building a collection of high-end vinyl. For me, playing a recording using the beautiful TD 124 and intricate SME arm is a joy, but I admit playing an SACD is much easier. We use the 105 for stereo, MCH, and Blu-ray projected onto a 100" screen. The table and disc player are each nice in their own way, and having both is a delight -- actually we also have a Sony XA-5400ES connected to the Cary via HDMI.

db

Montecito, very nice place :))

Great system you have  db

post #750 of 1629 Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post

I've tried vinyl again after more than two decades away. I have a Thorens TD 124 turntable and an SME 3009 Series III arm with an Ortofon SME 30H cartridge. The phono stage is Channel Island Audio with separate power supply. The sound of the phono stage seems quite good, but that's the piece I'll upgrade. I've compared the sound of SACD and $50 vinyl recordings of the Bill Evans Trio Jazz at the Pawnshop and the Dave Brubeck Quartet Time Out. The sound is remarkably similar and superb, with perhaps just a slight advantage to the vinyl. The 105 is connected to balanced inputs of a Cary Cinema 11a set to bypass. The amps are Proceed HPA 2 and 3 that drive KEF R107/2 mains and R102 surrounds for MCH.

db
I, like you went back to vinyl albeit briefly. I have very similar equipment with the exception being the Parasound phono stage I have. Many of my LPs were still unwrapped as I went on a buying spree just around the time that CDs first were released. The LPs were real inexpensive. Anyway and cutting to the chase here, I was able to A/B many of the records that I have CDs for and while I do agree they sound VERY similar, I found that I've become quite lazy and getting up every 20 minutes to "flip" the LP is not worth the almost undetectable differences. So I think I've come to the conclusion that it's probably time to sell all my vinyl and related gear.

PM me if interested. I'm open to any offer.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page