Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles
Kal Rubinson's Avatar Kal Rubinson 05:21 PM 07-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveramp View Post

so because I only use it for CD and SACD I should leave it on the DOWN-MIXED STEREO

is this correct I use the XLR

As long as you listen to your SACDs in stereo. :-)

wse's Avatar wse 05:22 PM 07-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

As long as you listen to your SACDs in stereo. :-)

If listening to SACD in multichannel use the analog RCA!
silveramp's Avatar silveramp 05:32 PM 07-12-2013
Thankyou for the quick reply

enjoy your weekend
richmond5's Avatar richmond5 03:41 AM 07-13-2013
When listening to SACD in stereo mode, how can I made use of the subwoofer as well?
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 08:55 AM 07-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond5 View Post

When listening to SACD in stereo mode, how can I made use of the subwoofer as well?

Use the multi-channel Analog outputs with LF/RF/Sub cabled, with Sub set to ON and with LF/RF set to SMALL. Pick a suitable Crossover frequency.

With Stereo Signal set to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT, you can substitute a Dedicated Stereo Analog Output L/R pair (RCA or XLR) for the normal LF/RF RCA pair from the multi-channel output set.

Note that you must set SACD Output PCM for Crossover processing (or any other audio processing) to happen on the Analog outputs. When DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion is engaged for SACD playback, the DSD digital audio goes directly to the DACs for conversion to Analog, and so no such audio processing is possible.
--Bob
BenGodzilla's Avatar BenGodzilla 04:09 AM 07-14-2013
Anybody with recent cabling experience with an Oppo set up?

I have an Oppo 105/ Luxman L505U/ Proac 2.5's as my system.

I use XLR.

I'd be interested in any favoured cabling choices.
Audiovector's Avatar Audiovector 09:47 AM 07-14-2013
I'd say your question is impossible to answer with out knowing more wink.gif
What sound character do you prefer?
Does your system lack something at the moment that you want to tweak?
In my system I've put more money on power cables than signal cables.
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1 11:10 AM 07-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGodzilla View Post

I use XLR.

Morrow Audio wink.gif
bwv1080's Avatar bwv1080 12:23 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

Regarding HDMI vs multi-channel analog outs, I'm not so sure that I clearly prefer the latter, at least for symphonic music. While the analog connection sounds warmer and richer to an extent, I hear a lot less depth to the sound and it seems a bit congested when I do an A/B comparison. Solo instruments obviously don't suffer from this effect, so I generally prefer the analog connection for them. Has anyone had this experience?

OK, this is getting weird. Last night, I switched my Marantz to "Direct Pure" for the analog input, and it seemed a little better, but today, it still suffers from the congestion and lack of depth. Plus, the violin sounded terribly shrill (A Pentatone SACD of Schubert Violin/Piano Vol 2) and the piano very bloated and muddy. When I listen to the Marantz via headphones, the analog connection clearly sounds better than the HDMI and there's no congestion nor shrillness/muddiness. I don't see anything wrong in the setup menu. Is there some "hidden" setting that I might be missing on either component? I hope someone can anyone offer a reasonable explanation!
BenGodzilla's Avatar BenGodzilla 02:48 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovector View Post

I'd say your question is impossible to answer with out knowing more wink.gif
What sound character do you prefer?
Does your system lack something at the moment that you want to tweak?
In my system I've put more money on power cables than signal cables.

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose the complication here is the Luxman is brand new out of the box with probably a dozen or so hours on the clock-whether you believe in burn in etc is up for debate.
This replaced my Ayre AX-7 amp and is a clear step up in dynamics,force of presentation and detail-I had previously auditioned a Moon amp and found that slightly better controlling than the Luxman in the bass dept... although otherwise I would say the Luxman was a better overall amp..the Luxman seems a little unfocused on the bass at times like it is struggling to control things-give it a lot of bass or severe bass and it seems to like it better.

Power cords I already use-built by a mate of mine who went into business with a local dealer a few years ago, he did my balanced interconnect.

My speaker cable is done by Vantage audio I run it bi-wire and it is silver.

What do I want?????-more!smile.gif

More detail and better controlled bass.

What I love about my current rig is the fact I hear more from well loved recordings and I'm greedy-I'm sure we all are.
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 02:55 PM 07-14-2013
^You'll need to look into room acoustics then. Proper acoustics matched with your speakers will do more for you than any power/line level cables will do. Speakers placed on a hardwood floor compared to a carpeted floor will sound completely different. Wall treatments create definite sound profiles. Copper to silver cabling differences are more up for debate. Everybody's taste in music fidelity is different. Some lean toward more warmth and earthiness, while others want more brightness, clarity/detailed presentation of their music.
Milt99's Avatar Milt99 03:20 PM 07-14-2013
Hey Ben,
I bought 2 sets of these when you could get shorter lengths:
http://www.cs1.net/products/liberty_av/Z500NBATHX.htm

Killer dealer imo, XLR OCC - Ohno single crystal copper for $65.
Check how much Furutech charges for the same thing.
Are as far as construction, they are as nice as I ever handled.
HTH
wse's Avatar wse 03:26 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:

Anybody with recent cabling experience with an Oppo set up? I have an Oppo 105/ Luxman L505U/ Proac 2.5's as my system. I use XLR. I'd be interested in any favoured cabling choices.

Mogami XLR used in the majority of recording studios or Canare cables used in the remainder of recording studios!

Mogami 2534 XLR Male to XLR Female Audio Cables Featuring Neutrik Connectors, http://m.markertek.com/product/detail/http%3A%7C%7Cwww.markertek.com%7CMobile%7CCables%7CAudio-Cables%7CXLR-to-XLR-Cables%7CTecNec%7CMSC1-5XXJ.xhtml%5EMSC6XXJ

TecNec Premium XLR Cables with Canare Star Quad and Neutrik XLRs
http://m.markertek.com/product/detail/http%3A%7C%7Cwww.markertek.com%7CMobile%7CCables%7CAudio-Cables%7CXLR-to-XLR-Cables%7CTecNec%7CSC100XXJ.xhtml%5ESC25XXJ
silveramp's Avatar silveramp 04:54 PM 07-14-2013
Mogami XLR or Canare is what I used with 105,McIntosh,Bryston

Have tried others but these cables are the best bang for the buck IMHO you can not go wrong

You can get quad cable and put your own ends on
bwv1080's Avatar bwv1080 04:55 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

OK, this is getting weird. Last night, I switched my Marantz to "Direct Pure" for the analog input, and it seemed a little better, but today, it still suffers from the congestion and lack of depth. Plus, the violin sounded terribly shrill (A Pentatone SACD of Schubert Violin/Piano Vol 2) and the piano very bloated and muddy. When I listen to the Marantz via headphones, the analog connection clearly sounds better than the HDMI and there's no congestion nor shrillness/muddiness. I don't see anything wrong in the setup menu. Is there some "hidden" setting that I might be missing on either component? I hope someone can anyone offer a reasonable explanation!

Problem solved: The center channel level was much too high--I lowered it 6db and all is well!
bwv1080's Avatar bwv1080 04:57 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:

I use XLR.

I use MIT XLRs to connect my 105 to my Stax headphone amp. Don't recall the model--it's been too long!
wse's Avatar wse 05:01 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveramp View PostMogami XLR or Canare is what I used with 105,McIntosh,Bryston

Have tried others but these cables are the best bang for the buck IMHO you can not go wrong. You can get quad cable and put your own ends on

Agreed 100% :)

Kal Rubinson's Avatar Kal Rubinson 05:29 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

^You'll need to look into room acoustics then. Proper acoustics matched with your speakers will do more for you than any power/line level cables will do. Speakers placed on a hardwood floor compared to a carpeted floor will sound completely different. Wall treatments create definite sound profiles. 

Amen.

wse's Avatar wse 05:43 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post^You'll need to look into room acoustics then. Proper acoustics matched with your speakers will do more for you than any power/line level cables will do. Speakers placed on a hardwood floor compared to a carpeted floor will sound completely different. Wall treatments create definite sound profiles. Copper to silver cabling differences are more up for debate. Everybody's taste in music fidelity is different. Some lean toward more warmth and earthiness, while others want more brightness, clarity/detailed presentation of their music.

Yes that is so true the room is over 50% of the sound :) cable less than 2% IMHO

What do you think of this!

Multifuser Wood 64

Made from solid wood, the new diffuser is perfect for use in venues such as concert halls, hi-fi rooms and recording studios, where effective diffusion is often required, without too much absorption occurring at the same time. With its striking angled surface, the two-dimensional diffuser is based on a QRD sequence combined with changing reflection techniques (a result of the angled surface). 

The panel itself is made in two parts. Each part can be rotated in different directions so that a uniform, omni-directional scattering of sound is achieved, with particularly effective diffusion of mid and low frequencies. Multifuser Wood 64 works between 310Hz and 8kHz.As well as its acoustic efficiency, the panel’s attractive appearance makes it suitable for use in a range of settings. Available in Light Brown, Black and White finishes.

Product Technical Information
Material: Solid Wood
Color: Available in Black, White and Light Brown finishes
Installation: Fixing system included

imgEspaco.gif
MFWood64_light%20brown_Main.JPG

http://www.vicoustic.com/vn/Musicbroadcast/produtoInfo.asp?Id=106

BenGodzilla's Avatar BenGodzilla 05:55 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:

^You'll need to look into room acoustics then. Proper acoustics matched with your speakers will do more for you than any power/line level cables will do. Speakers placed on a hardwood floor compared to a carpeted floor will sound completely different. Wall treatments create definite sound profiles. Copper to silver cabling differences are more up for debate. Everybody's taste in music fidelity is different. Some lean toward more warmth and earthiness, while others want more brightness, clarity/detailed presentation of their music.

This may well be true but my hi-fi is in our main living area-it won't be changing.smile.gif
Milt99's Avatar Milt99 05:55 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes that is so true the room is over 50% of the sound smile.gif cable less than 2% IMHO

Most importantly, what does your wife think if it? wink.gif
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 06:21 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:

This may well be true but my hi-fi is in our main living area-it won't be changing.smile.gif
You mean you don't have a dedicated HiFi room with all that expensive equipment of yours? It's difficult to keep wanting more from your system by continuously swapping one component for another over the years...but it is equivalent to a kid in a candy store. I think that's a common trait for audioholics. One's tastes, and ears, do change over the years. As long as you believe in mind over matter, then anything is possible...
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 06:29 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes that is so true the room is over 50% of the sound smile.gif cable less than 2% IMHO

Made from solid wood, the new diffuser is perfect for use in venues such as concert halls, hi-fi rooms and recording studios, where effective diffusion is often required, without too much absorption occurring at the same time. With its striking angled surface, the two-dimensional diffuser is based on a QRD sequence combined with changing reflection techniques (a result of the angled surface). 

The panel itself is made in two parts. Each part can be rotated in different directions so that a uniform, omni-directional scattering of sound is achieved, with particularly effective diffusion of mid and low frequencies. Multifuser Wood 64 works between 310Hz and 8kHz.As well as its acoustic efficiency, the panel’s attractive appearance makes it suitable for use in a range of settings. Available in Light Brown, Black and White finishes.

Product Technical Information

Material: Solid Wood

Color: Available in Black, White and Light

Have you done any A/B comparisons with diffusors/room treatments of the one you listed before? I'm wonder how the omni-directional sound plays out inside a room with these treatments. Is speaker placement less of an issue? Looks very interesting....I'm familiar with treatments that reduce room reflections which lead to boominess/muddy audio.
wse's Avatar wse 06:31 PM 07-14-2013
Quote:

Have you done any A/B comparisons with diffusors/room treatments of the one you listed before? Looks very interesting....most certainly would reduce room reflections which lead to boominess/muddy audio.

Not yet I am planning to, it's a bit expensive!
audiotunesx's Avatar audiotunesx 12:12 AM 07-15-2013
I was wondering if anyone has compared the Oppo 105 or 95 to the NAD M51? I saw a post a few months ago that the NAD M51 was better sounding than the 105, but I'm hoping someone could second that opinion (and possibly save me some trouble)! I have a 95 now. It's a warm sounding player, musical, with a good amount of weight/body. It's just missing a bit in the resolution/soundstage area IMO. I'm afraid upgrading to the 105 may be too bright on my system (I listen to redbook, with the XLR out's to my NAD M3-Magnepans). I'm now thinking about saving up for a NAD M51 and selling my 95 and getting a 103...

Another possibility is to send my Oppo 95 to Modwright. I'm thinking of the solid state mod and bybee music rail. Has anyone tried this combination and did it make a substantial difference in sound?
BenGodzilla's Avatar BenGodzilla 04:02 AM 07-15-2013
Quote:

You mean you don't have a dedicated HiFi room with all that expensive equipment of yours? It's difficult to keep wanting more from your system by continuously swapping one component for another over the years...but it is equivalent to a kid in a candy store. I think that's a common trait for audioholics. One's tastes, and ears, do change over the years. As long as you believe in mind over matter, then anything is possible...

I've changed my system once in nearly ten years-I am an unusual audiophile in that my music collection is worth more than my system and your response presumed rather a lot.

I wonder what you believe in, you seem very sure...even of things you know nothing of....smile.gif
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500 07:07 AM 07-15-2013
Quote:

I've changed my system once in nearly ten years-I am an unusual audiophile in that my music collection is worth more than my system and your response presumed rather a lot.

I wonder what you believe in, you seem very sure...even of things you know nothing of....smile.gif
I'm sorry, I must have mis-interpreted a previous post of yours mentioning you traded in a Ayre AX-7 amp, just bought a new Luxman and 105, had changed your power cabling, and had special silver interconnect made for you. You also mentioned you were greedy in your audio search to always strive for "more", more detail and better controlled bass. I didn't interpret you were striving for audio perfection once every 10 years....surely you could see how I could have erred on the side of "constant tweaks and adjustments of your audio system".
gbaby's Avatar gbaby 12:36 PM 07-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotunesx View Post

I was wondering if anyone has compared the Oppo 105 or 95 to the NAD M51? I saw a post a few months ago that the NAD M51 was better sounding than the 105, but I'm hoping someone could second that opinion (and possibly save me some trouble)! I have a 95 now. It's a warm sounding player, musical, with a good amount of weight/body. It's just missing a bit in the resolution/soundstage area IMO. I'm afraid upgrading to the 105 may be too bright on my system (I listen to redbook, with the XLR out's to my NAD M3-Magnepans). I'm now thinking about saving up for a NAD M51 and selling my 95 and getting a 103...

Another possibility is to send my Oppo 95 to Modwright. I'm thinking of the solid state mod and bybee music rail. Has anyone tried this combination and did it make a substantial difference in sound?

Every review I've read stated the sound of the Oppo 95 and 105 were so similar as to be indistinguishable. With that in mind the Oppo BDP-95 is a very warm sound through its analog out and with a good amount of weight and body. It is for this reason, I personally preferred the sound ot the Sony SCD-XA5400ES over the Oppo BDP-95. The sony played that last octave of high frequency that I missed with the Oppo. I have since purchased a new processor, the Bryston SP3, and I prefer the sound of its D/A converter over the sound of the the Oppo and Sony ES.
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1 01:32 PM 07-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotunesx View Post

You're a prime candidate to upgrade the 105! I noticed you shared the same take on the 95's sound that I did and similarly had concerns that the 105 might lose that and possibly take things too far and tip up on the brighter side of things. First thing I must point out is the 105 and 95 are not the same in sound as some would like to say , the 105 could infact be considered the evolution in sound of the 95 and in my case and what I've found , it picked up were the 95 left off and addressed in my opinion the very issues (if you can call them that) the 95 had by walking right on the line and being very careful not to cross it in giving up that last bit of resolution and soundstaging one would suspect it could possibly deliver. This is what I was shocked to find in the 105's sound , it was still as engaging as the 95 but went were the 95 wouldn't, the soundstage is deeper and wider and the midrange is more fleshed out revealing more musical tonality that the 95 kept at bay. The highs still retain beauty and a pristine quality but extend further lending a more tactile quality to cymbals and leading edge transients without a trace of brightness. The lows are a definite improvement as well, here the 95's full robust bass has gained pitch definition in the 105 and delivers different shades of bass as it still digs as deep as the 95's weighty sound, but far better defined and controlled ( especially after a 100 hrs on the player) which only augments the improvements in the mids and highs.

I was cautious and careful on the upgrade to the 105 as I planed to keep the 95 till the cows came home and possibly mod it one day, but the 105's feature set was useful and compelling for the money , the construction ,fanless design ( which I was never really bothered by) and the host of other features and not to mention the resale value, more than justified the few hundred I spent to gain what I knew the 95 could possibly be capable of.

look no further as I suspect the 105 is just what you're looking for wink.gif
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1 01:39 PM 07-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Every review I've read stated the sound of the Oppo 95 and 105 were so similar as to be indistinguishable. With that in mind the Oppo BDP-95 is a very warm sound through its analog out and with a good amount of weight and body. It is for this reason, I personally preferred the sound ot the Sony SCD-XA5400ES over the Oppo BDP-95. The sony played that last octave of high frequency that I missed with the Oppo. I have since purchased a new processor, the Bryston SP3, and I prefer the sound of its D/A converter over the sound of the the Oppo and Sony ES.

Hey gbaby ! its time to try again my friend and especially since I hear the SP3 won't be getting the DSD upgrade the 105 is all you need to close the gap on a stellar setup. In the post above I think the 105 may have addressed some of your reservations as well. you know I felt about the 95 biggrin.gif and I can tell you beyond a shadow of doubt , its not the same sounding player as the 95 and is indeed worthy of another try smile.gif
Tags: Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop