Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1686 Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Bob.

Let me add some points of clarification. I downloaded a few files to a flash drive from my mac. I then attached the flash drive to the front of the 105. Should I have attached the flash drive to the asynchronous port on the back? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1686 Old 01-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by diononiz View Post

Thanks Bob.

Let me add some points of clarification. I downloaded a few files to a flash drive from my mac. I then attached the flash drive to the front of the 105. Should I have attached the flash drive to the asynchronous port on the back? Thanks

No. Think of that Asynchronous port as a place to attach a computer when you want the OPPO to replace the sound card built into the computer -- i.e., while playing music on the computer.

Your flash drive should go into any of the normal, narrow-rectangular shaped USB ports, either the one on the front or a port in the back.
--Bob
PAD likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #63 of 1686 Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

Well, got the XPA-5 amp last night, hooked it up and watched my first movie in DTS HD 5.1 with no processor - straight from the 105 to the power amp. Worked pretty well. Previously I was only using this method for 2-channel straight to a XPA-200 amp. I sold my AVR to get ready for the Emo XPA-1 processor when it comes out but I may not even bother now.
What are the attenuators for?
Oppo preamp section is using digital volume control, not analog one (register ladder).
This causing distortions at low volume although Saber32 DACs handling it much better.
Emotiva power amps have a low input voltage and pretty high gain which prevents me from listening music at 100 volume level.
Well crafted audiophile-grade attenuators injected into XLR allowed me to set volume on OPPO higher while maintaining the same "loudness".
The result - better sound at normal loudness :-)
I've ordered my attenuators from one guy in UK - custom made - no coloration of sound.
This problem is not unique to Oppo. Audiolab M-DAC was the same deal.
post #64 of 1686 Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by diononiz View Post

Thanks Bob.

No. Think of that Asynchronous port as a place to attach a computer when you want the OPPO to replace the sound card built into the computer -- i.e., while playing music on the computer.

Your flash drive should go into any of the normal, narrow-rectangular shaped USB ports, either the one on the front or a port in the back.
--Bob

They should have make up a new name for the async input: "OPPO-Link (tm)". There would be less confusion with the standard USB ports.

Q: Can I connect my computer directly to the USB ports?
A: No, the USB ports are not OPPO-Link (tm) compatible.

Q: Can I connect a USB hard drive to the OPPO-Link port?
A: No, the USB drive is not OPPO-Link (tm) compatible.

But, every other day someone would post breathlessly in one of the forums: "OPPO-link is a scam! It's just a standard USB cable!" Then we'd have to explain, yes but this is a special application of USB and it requires the right hardware and software at each end.

As for giving a trademarked name to a standard feature, look at HDMI-CEC:
Quote:
Trade names for CEC are Anynet+ (Samsung); Aquos Link (Sharp); BRAVIA Link and BRAVIA Sync (Sony); HDMI-CEC (Hitachi); E-link (AOC); Kuro Link (Pioneer); CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba); RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo); RuncoLink (Runco International); SimpLink (LG); HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, VIERA Link (Panasonic); EasyLink (Philips); and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi)

-Bill
post #65 of 1686 Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

As Iv'e come to find out ( my first Audyssey go) My room is well treated and I previously used a Oppo 95 Anthem avm 20 combo via it 7.1 and xlr inputs for all high res playback the addition of Audyssey was signifigant for room integration which is primary for good sound , what was clear and defined before is by Audyssey standards dull muddy lifeless!
When you say
Quote:
My room is well treated
Can you talk to that point a little. I know it is a bit off topic but I would like a frame of reference. I've been reading these 105 threads with great interest before pulling the trigger.

What I am wondering is when you say well treated, does that mean you measured frequency sweeps of your room and targeted treatments where they were needed, or did you do the standard corner, quarter, half wall and first reflection placements?
post #66 of 1686 Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

They should have make up a new name for the async input: "OPPO-Link (tm)". There would be less confusion with the standard USB ports.

Q: Can I connect my computer directly to the USB ports?
A: No, the USB ports are not OPPO-Link (tm) compatible.

Q: Can I connect a USB hard drive to the OPPO-Link port?
A: No, the USB drive is not OPPO-Link (tm) compatible.

But, every other day someone would post breathlessly in one of the forums: "OPPO-link is a scam! It's just a standard USB cable!" Then we'd have to explain, yes but this is a special application of USB and it requires the right hardware and software at each end.

As for giving a trademarked name to a standard feature, look at HDMI-CEC:
-Bill

I'm not sure why there is so much confusion about which usb conneciton to use when they're physically different connectors and can only be connected for use in the specific way they were designed for (ie, you can't get them backwards).
post #67 of 1686 Old 01-20-2013, 10:15 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

I'm not sure why there is so much confusion about which usb conneciton to use when they're physically different connectors and can only be connected for use in the specific way they were designed for (ie, you can't get them backwards).

I can see why it happens. Two entirely different things both called USB. One or both usages are new to many people.

-Bill
post #68 of 1686 Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob

Thanks again. I appreciate the clarification.
post #69 of 1686 Old 01-20-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyhl View Post

When you say
Can you talk to that point a little. I know it is a bit off topic but I would like a frame of reference. I've been reading these 105 threads with great interest before pulling the trigger.

What I am wondering is when you say well treated, does that mean you measured frequency sweeps of your room and targeted treatments where they were needed, or did you do the standard corner, quarter, half wall and first reflection placements?

No measurements! but years of toeing raking moving the listening position back or forth just to get a proper stereo image first in my 20x21x8 room with 2 openings in the rear right side and a large fire place in the front left corner it was tricky but in the end all the efforts where worth it, as a rule of mine I set up my gear for stereo playback and multich second and have always had good results vs. the latter, Iv'e found a well recorded DSD dics in pure or the direct setting confirms for me when its set up properly. The room treatments I speak of as well required fine tuning as well, placing a panel at the first reflection point and bringing it up or down can impact the sound! I've found with the two first reflection pannels which are 48x24x2 to work best 18" off the floor in my room (go figure) I also have the front sound stage wall covered with 3 24x24x2 panels and the worked best 1 1/2' from the ceiling and 1 1/2' from the side walls, I only have 3 corners to bass trap and for those the front I use 2 24x24x4 open back pannels at 18" from the floor. The rear left corner is where I use a GIK 7" monster bass trap 48x24 as this is where my room receives the heaviest load from bass and the last pannel in the room is a 48x24x4 open back bass trap 6ft from the MLP. The room is carpeted and with addtion of the panels bass trapa especially the favored 50hz hump was smoothed out ( my only confirmation was the Anthem AVM 20's mode correction feature and an spl meter other wise I did it the hard way trail and error and to my taste. This was my reference point prior to the addition of Audyssey and was great with the Anthem / Oppo 95 combo. I do plan on measurements once I try the pro kit but in the end my ears will always be the final judge;)

Hope this helps!
post #70 of 1686 Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd68 View Post

I never used Audyssey or any room correction mainly because I like high quality two channel for music, but I also use the same system for my tv. I get enough of the surround sound effects in movies from "phantom surround" just from two speakers and a sub.

I'd bet a lot of folks with a nice high-end system built for mostly music enjoyment, that processing would only degrade the sound quality, as long as the speakers are good for the room and care taken with speaker positioning and set up.

But I might try the Anti mode device someday for low frequency tuning.

I have been doing two-channel for some time myself. I currently run a McIntosh MA6500 and use the 105 as my source (and Martin Logan Vantage speakers). And I can say, in addition to the 105 providing very pleasing CD performance, Bluray movies sound much better than my last Bluray setup using the MA6500, a Marantz BD7003 with sound via coax to a Cambridge Audio 840C and the picture via HDMI straight to my Vidikron display. I get "enough of the surround sound effects in movies from .. just from two speakers". I have spent siginificant time over months (several years back) getting my speakers properly setup and with this system sounds pretty incredible and the sound for movies easily goes beyond the speakers and is much more involving with the 105 than with the the two components mentioned above.

I bought the BDP 105 for its analog outputs and was hoping that it would be better than the Marantz/Cambridge combo. I can say that I am in no way unhappy with the Oppo. Just the opposite, super happy. It has taken my system to a whole new level.
post #71 of 1686 Old 01-20-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

First, I've never really been a believer in break-in, burn-in or whatever you want to call it. I do believe mechanical components have to "settle in" (think speakers) and may show some improvement over time, and I guess that concept would apply to some extent to other electronics in the chain. My background is in music and sound engineering, but haven't done either professionally in more than 20 years. In fact, I was exiting the industry just as digital was entering, so I have almost zero professional experience with modern, digital professional recording equipment. There was a period in the late 80's where I was in the studio either engineering tracks, or playing guitar, 3 - 5 days a week, so though I lack any current technical knowledge, I still have a pretty good ear, and an understanding of proper room setup/recording techniques.

When I first hooked up my 105 via XLRs to my AVM 50v and ran some Analog Direct music via the disc tray, or via the front USB, it sounded pretty good. My first attempts at the Asynchronous USB, using Songbird/iTunes and hi-rez files (FLAC CD rips) were a little disappointing. Pretty harsh and ragged in the upper registers, and generally a "forward" presentation. Since then I have made some subtle changes to my system. Unfortunately, I'm not one to try one thing, test it, report results, then try another... I like to try several things at once, so I can't possibly know at the end of it, what made the most difference! lol rolleyes.gif

Here are the changes so far:
1. Setup an Analog DSP path in the AVM 50v (just for comparison sake), and adjusted the Analog Input levels to -12dB to remove any signs of input clipping on the AVM 50's analog inputs
2. Changed music servers to Pure Music
3. Since adding Pure Music, I've had a lot more Asynch USB play time (this has been my primary music source over the past few days playing hi-rez HD Tracks downloads, down to 256kbps/44.1khz iTunes downloads - which generally have the worst treble presentation you'll find)
4. I also let a bluray run all night last night... about 10 hours... estimate that I am somewhere in the 50-60 hour mark with the 105

And... this morning the highs, which were slightly ragged sounding out of the box, have mellowed considerably. The sibilance that was there on vocals is almost completely gone, and the overall sound is warmer and more natural. Steve Perry's breathy vocals are now almost smooth as silk, where they were almost unlistenable last week.

Listing to Eric Johnson "Ah Via Musicom" on CD via Analog XLRs right now. This CD has some of the best drum kit audio, especially the snare drum and cymbals. Earlier this week, the cymbals sounded shrill and very forward. Today they are much more relaxed, with less shrill and more air. The snare is snappy, quick, tight and weighty but without the low end harmonics that shouldn't be there anyway... exactly how it should sound. Vocals continue to improve also, with less sibilance.

I will continue to let a bluray play overnight for the next couple of nights to see if the improvement continues. But suffice to say, I'm getting happier everyday with the Analog section of the 105!

Boyce, thanks for bring up Eric Johnson. I just went and pulled that one out. I've never heard it better than on the 105. Very nice air, bass, snare and cymbals - as you say. Just a great sounding CD with impecable music as well.
post #72 of 1686 Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey77 View Post

Boyce, thanks for bring up Eric Johnson. I just went and pulled that one out. I've never heard it better than on the 105. Very nice air, bass, snare and cymbals - as you say. Just a great sounding CD with impecable music as well.

I saw him play live back in the early 90's at a small venue in Nashville called Exit In. I stopped playing guitar after that show (seriously) because I could never attain the level of skill he has. I thought I knew how to play "Desert Rose" until I saw him do it live. AMAZING. I swear he has 4 middle fingers on his left hand... he has incredible reach, like they are all the same length! lol cool.gif
post #73 of 1686 Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 PM

My experience was kinda like that too; blown away. I saw him 10-12 years ago and I could not beleive what I was seeing. I've been to probably hundreds of shows and I've never seen anyone, or possibly two (at the same time), play like that. -I really like Eric Johnson because though he can play every note, he can and does make beautiful music. While others who associated in the same genre only seem to be note-masters and what they play is far less engaging and has not stood the test of time for me.
post #74 of 1686 Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

No measurements! but years of toeing raking moving the listening position back or forth just to get a proper stereo image first in my 20x21x8 room with 2 openings in the rear right side and a large fire place in the front left corner it was tricky but in the end all the efforts where worth it, as a rule of mine I set up my gear for stereo playback and multich second and have always had good results vs. the latter, Iv'e found a well recorded DSD dics in pure or the direct setting confirms for me when its set up properly. The room treatments I speak of as well required fine tuning as well, placing a panel at the first reflection point and bringing it up or down can impact the sound! I've found with the two first reflection pannels which are 48x24x2 to work best 18" off the floor in my room (go figure) I also have the front sound stage wall covered with 3 24x24x2 panels and the worked best 1 1/2' from the ceiling and 1 1/2' from the side walls, I only have 3 corners to bass trap and for those the front I use 2 24x24x4 open back pannels at 18" from the floor. The rear left corner is where I use a GIK 7" monster bass trap 48x24 as this is where my room receives the heaviest load from bass and the last pannel in the room is a 48x24x4 open back bass trap 6ft from the MLP. The room is carpeted and with addtion of the panels bass trapa especially the favored 50hz hump was smoothed out ( my only confirmation was the Anthem AVM 20's mode correction feature and an spl meter other wise I did it the hard way trail and error and to my taste. This was my reference point prior to the addition of Audyssey and was great with the Anthem / Oppo 95 combo. I do plan on measurements once I try the pro kit but in the end my ears will always be the final judge;)

Hope this helps!
Thanks. That was very helpful. I have a bad room and I am a few years behind you in chasing the same goal that is why I was so interested in your perspective.

I am using an AVM 20 which you had experience with and am currently working on and planning out new room treatments. I've had a few 2' X 4' X 4" pannels for a while plus some home made triangle wedges at critical points based on frequency readings. It really helps.

I recently started re-running graphs and waterfalls to isolate more issues and am adding to my wedge traps. More material to arrive today via UPS.

Your insight is very helpful. Thanks.
post #75 of 1686 Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
"I saw him play live back in the early 90's at a small venue in Nashville called Exit In. I stopped playing guitar after that show (seriously) because I could never attain the level of skill he has. I thought I knew how to play "Desert Rose" until I saw him do it live. AMAZING. I swear he has 4 middle fingers on his left hand... he has incredible reach, like they are all the same length!"

"My experience was kinda like that too; blown away. I saw him 10-12 years ago and I could not beleive what I was seeing. I've been to probably hundreds of shows and I've never seen anyone, or possibly two (at the same time), play like that. -I really like Eric Johnson because though he can play every note, he can and does make beautiful music. While others who associated in the same genre only seem to be note-masters and what they play is far less engaging and has not stood the test of time for me."

Another fan here, never experienced him live! I have used" Ah Via Musicom" as a demo disc in my system for other people with great results. I have to say that if there had not been a Jimi there would be no conversation of this at all. We all know he was an influence on Eric Johnson.wink.gif

In staying with the thread I will play that disc tonight. Looking forward to compare notes.
post #76 of 1686 Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyhl View Post

Thanks. That was very helpful. I have a bad room and I am a few years behind you in chasing the same goal that is why I was so interested in your perspective.

I am using an AVM 20 which you had experience with and am currently working on and planning out new room treatments. I've had a few 2' X 4' X 4" pannels for a while plus some home made triangle wedges at critical points based on frequency readings. It really helps.

I recently started re-running graphs and waterfalls to isolate more issues and am adding to my wedge traps. More material to arrive today via UPS.

Your insight is very helpful. Thanks.

Have fun and keep me in the loop on your findings!smile.gif
post #77 of 1686 Old 01-21-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyce89976 View Post

I saw him play live back in the early 90's at a small venue in Nashville called Exit In. I stopped playing guitar after that show (seriously) because I could never attain the level of skill he has. I thought I knew how to play "Desert Rose" until I saw him do it live. AMAZING. I swear he has 4 middle fingers on his left hand... he has incredible reach, like they are all the same length! lol cool.gif
I too have seen him numerous times and was fortunate enough to have aquired front row, center stage tickets for his Ah Via Musicom tour. It was a VERY special evening as Eric was(believe it or not) the opening act for Joe Satriani who was doing his "Flying in a Blue Dream" tour. Quite a show to say the least!

I use Ah Via Musicom quite often when fine tuning my system. It has a great drum mix and Eric's vocals really help in determining prime speaker position.

If you guys like guitar type music I highly recommend Jeff Beck's "live at Ronnie Scotts" blu-ray. It, along with Return to Forever "Returns"(Chick Corea, Al DiMeola) are my two go-to discs for good quality instrumental music as well as clean, well balanced mixes. The Jeff Beck video is one that I've seen at least 50 times and I never tire of watching and listening to it.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #78 of 1686 Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

I too have seen him numerous times and was fortunate enough to have aquired front row, center stage tickets for his Ah Via Musicom tour. It was a VERY special evening as Eric was(believe it or not) the opening act for Joe Satriani who was doing his "Flying in a Blue Dream" tour. Quite a show to say the least!

I use Ah Via Musicom quite often when fine tuning my system. It has a great drum mix and Eric's vocals really help in determining prime speaker position.

If you guys like guitar type music I highly recommend Jeff Beck's "live at Ronnie Scotts" blu-ray. It, along with Return to Forever "Returns"(Chick Corea, Al DiMeola) are my two go-to discs for good quality instrumental music as well as clean, well balanced mixes. The Jeff Beck video is one that I've seen at least 50 times and I never tire of watching and listening to it.

Have them both! I saw Jeff Beck here in Los Angeles at the Nokia theater great show, had Narada Michael Walden on drums. The only thing I don't care for with the RTF disc is the "quadraphonic" type mixing they did! I would prefer audience ambiance like the Jeff Beck Ronnie Scotts disc is mixed versus hearing instruments behind me.The Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's performance is also my reference disc for music and video demo on Blu-ray using the BDP-105. Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds is also a good demo disc to use.
post #79 of 1686 Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Have them both! I saw Jeff Beck here in Los Angeles at the Nokia theater great show, had Narada Michael Walden on drums. The only thing I don't care for with the RTF disc is the "quadraphonic" type mixing they did! I would prefer audience ambiance like the Jeff Beck Ronnie Scotts disc is mixed versus hearing instruments behind me.The Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's performance is also my reference disc for music and video demo on Blu-ray using the BDP-105. Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds is also a good demo disc to use.
Agree with the "quadraphonic" mix on the RTF disc. Even so, it's still a very clean mix and Chick's keyboard/percussion bit at the beginning of track 5 has some of the lowest LFE content of ANY disc, movie or concert in my collection. It sounds mahvelous and really gives my HSU sub quite a workout.

I've seen Jeff many many times going all the way back to Beck, Bogert, Appice when they played at Winterland in SF. I think the best two shows I saw were from the "There and Back" tour as well as "Guitar Shop." Also saw the tour where Stevie Ray Vaughan opened up for Jeff and as it turned out, was to be Stevie's last tour before the tragic helicopter accident.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #80 of 1686 Old 01-21-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Agree with the "quadraphonic" mix on the RTF disc. Even so, it's still a very clean mix and Chick's keyboard/percussion bit at the beginning of track 5 has some of the lowest LFE content of ANY disc, movie or concert in my collection. It sounds mahvelous and really gives my HSU sub quite a workout.

I've seen Jeff many many times going all the way back to Beck, Bogert, Appice when they played at Winterland in SF. I think the best two shows I saw were from the "There and Back" tour as well as "Guitar Shop." Also saw the tour where Stevie Ray Vaughan opened up for Jeff and as it turned out, was to be Stevie's last tour before the tragic helicopter accident.

Gents, in order to keep this "on topic" so the topic police don't jump in... all of these discs sound better than ever on the Oppo 105! LOL cool.gif

I have to agree with the Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds as a reference bluray.
post #81 of 1686 Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Are there any 105 owners with a Marantz 8801, Denon 4520 or Integra 80.3? I'm curious what your observations are of the analog performance of the 105 versus a flagship AVR that is typically stocked with 32bit Burr Brown DACs.
post #82 of 1686 Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantYnot View Post

Are there any 105 owners with a Marantz 8801, Denon 4520 or Integra 80.3? I'm curious what your observations are of the analog performance of the 105 versus a flagship AVR that is typically stocked with 32bit Burr Brown DACs.
I'm setting-up a new system using Marantz AV8801, Parasound A51 (amp), and BDP-105. Prior to this I used NAD T175, Parasound A51 (amp) and various players (ie. Denon DVD-3930CI universal player, DVD-3800BDCI BD/DVD/CD player, Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD BD/DVD/CD player). I have to say the NAD T175 yielded very nice analog sound (via-Pure direct mode), on the warm side, decent resolution (it employed 5 Burr-Brown 24 bit 192kHz Stereo D/A converters). So I'm very curious to listen to this new set-up (another few weeks). I'll report back.........
post #83 of 1686 Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM

Liked: 12
I have just installed the 105 in my system. It is replacing the trusted 83SE. To me the sonic character is very much the same as on the 83SE - dead neutral. But the soundstage was no doubt larger, and the instruments more defined. More timbre if you wil. And I could also hear minute details on the recordings not heard before, by my ears any way.
In my set up I use the 105 as a blu ray/cd player. For 2-ch listening i run it through my AudioResearch DSi200 to my Usher Mini Dancer 1 speakers. And for film I use a Pioneer Elite 56 as receiver and amplifier for center and my 2 surr channels. The front speakers are fed via pre out to my Audio Research.
post #84 of 1686 Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Well, here we go, buiding a new system for a smallish 5.1 theater/music room, should be fun.

With the AV8801 being limited to one pair of XLR INP's I'm a little perplexed in regards to which disc player favor's better for 2ch analog OUT? The Oppo BDP-105 or the Sony SCD-XA5400ES? I own a large collection of redbook CD's, SACD's and DVD'A's.

This will be difficult to determine in my situation as, due to physical constraints, it will be nearly impossible to swap connections back-and-forth. Once things are configured my large rack will be moved into place.

One knowledgeable source explained that I should not even waist my time connecting the BDP-105 analog OUT's (XLR or RCA), but to bypass them and use only a digital coax connection, he thought the Marantz yielded better DAC's? hmmmm........? I may just connect, both, 2ch XLR OUT's and digital coax.

I think you may already know my preference for the sonic trait of the 5400ES vs. the Oppo. I have since purchased the Bryston SP3 which is hands down the best processor I have ever owned. However, even with it, if I am listening to 2 channels then I prefer the sound of the Sony ES using XLR outputs to that of the Bryson using digital 2 channel or the D/A converter of the Bryston.
post #85 of 1686 Old 01-22-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey77 View Post

I have been doing two-channel for some time myself. I currently run a McIntosh MA6500 and use the 105 as my source ... I can say that I am in no way unhappy with the Oppo. Just the opposite, super happy. It has taken my system to a whole new level.

I am so glad to read this. I myself have also been doing two-channel for for some time now using a MA6500 but running everything through a Peachtree DAC-iT. I am going to take the plunge and use the DAC-iT in the bedroom or something.

Thank you!
post #86 of 1686 Old 01-22-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I think you may already know my preference for the sonic trait of the 5400ES vs. the Oppo. I have since purchased the Bryston SP3 which is hands down the best processor I have ever owned. However, even with it, if I am listening to 2 channels then I prefer the sound of the Sony ES using XLR outputs to that of the Bryson using digital 2 channel or the D/A converter of the Bryston.
thanks. Yeah, I'm sure the Bryston SP3 has very nice pre-amp section (scary retail price though @$9500.00?....whew!)

So you're saying you [do] prefer the SCD-XA5400 XLR OUT's --> SP3 XLR INP's?
post #87 of 1686 Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiovector View Post

I have just installed the 105 in my system. It is replacing the trusted 83SE. To me the sonic character is very much the same as on the 83SE - dead neutral. But the soundstage was no doubt larger, and the instruments more defined. More timbre if you wil. And I could also hear minute details on the recordings not heard before, by my ears any way.
In my set up I use the 105 as a blu ray/cd player. For 2-ch listening i run it through my AudioResearch DSi200 to my Usher Mini Dancer 1 speakers. And for film I use a Pioneer Elite 56 as receiver and amplifier for center and my 2 surr channels. The front speakers are fed via pre out to my Audio Research.

I was weighing replacing my 83SE with a 105 in a stereo system running analog through a Unison Research Unico SE into the similar Usher Audio Mini Dancer Two DMD's.

My system already handles Squeezebox computer audio via an upsampling external DAC, and also includes an external headphone amp. I don't need the 105's added features, but I'll pay the premium over what the 83SE will bring on Audiogon if the 105 is more resolving playing the 400 or so SACD's that are my primary digital source.

It appears that you'd make that journey, right?
post #88 of 1686 Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fihsak View Post

I am so glad to read this. I myself have also been doing two-channel for for some time now using a MA6500 but running everything through a Peachtree DAC-iT. I am going to take the plunge and use the DAC-iT in the bedroom or something.

Thank you!

Ya, I can say that the DAC in the 105 is very nice. I've only had the Cambridge Audio 840C to compare, but the 105 is very resolving and just so much more fun to listen to. -The MA6500 also provides quite the bang for the dollar too. OK, I'm back on topic now. The 105 rocks.
post #89 of 1686 Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesn8s View Post

I was weighing replacing my 83SE with a 105 in a stereo system running analog through a Unison Research Unico SE into the similar Usher Audio Mini Dancer Two DMD's.

My system already handles Squeezebox computer audio via an upsampling external DAC, and also includes an external headphone amp. I don't need the 105's added features, but I'll pay the premium over what the 83SE will bring on Audiogon if the 105 is more resolving playing the 400 or so SACD's that are my primary digital source.

It appears that you'd make that journey, right?

Yes, but I must admit I hesitated for a long time since the reviews on its sonic 2 ch performance has been scarce. But Im glad I pulled the trigger. It was an investment well worth the cash for me, and in my system.
post #90 of 1686 Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Would the oppo be a worthy upgrade from the Pioneer BDP-51FD?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page