post #1171 of 1686 Old 10-17-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by huber13 View Post

"Asynchronous USB is designed so that the audio goes direct to the DACs as a true bypass. You lose all benefits of the Asynchronous USB if you have the player do additional audio decoding to the signal."

"If you need bass management, then you will need to use digital coaxial, optical, or HDMI as these interfaces will allow the player to decode the audio, and thereby, perform bass management to the signal."

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc.

the problem i have is with mch dsf files. speaker balance is off a bit and i would need to use the level adjustement. is this possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1686 Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by huber13 View Post

"Asynchronous USB is designed so that the audio goes direct to the DACs as a true bypass. You lose all benefits of the Asynchronous USB if you have the player do additional audio decoding to the signal."

"If you need bass management, then you will need to use digital coaxial, optical, or HDMI as these interfaces will allow the player to decode the audio, and thereby, perform bass management to the signal."

Best Regards,

Customer Service

OPPO Digital, Inc.

the problem i have is with mch dsf files. speaker balance is off a bit and i would need to use the level adjustement. is this possible?

Yes.

First of all, the Asynchronous USB DAC Input only accepts Stereo audio and only in the form of LPCM digital audio. So no dsf files (i.e. no DSD format digital audio) and no multi-channel. To play multi-channel dsf files you will need to put them on a hard drive and either directly attach that to one of the normal USB peripheral device jacks of the OPPO, or access that hard drive over your network by putting it on an SMB server.

While doing that, use the multi-channel Analog outputs and use SACD Output PCM. The DSD data format from those files will be converted to multi-channel, high bit-rate LPCM, which is then processed as you need and passed to the DACs. All the settings for Speaker Configuration will then be available.

If you use HDMI audio output, then of course such adjustments would need to happen in your HDMI-capable AVR instead.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1173 of 1686 Old 10-26-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes.

First of all, the Asynchronous USB DAC Input only accepts Stereo audio and only in the form of LPCM digital audio. So no dsf files (i.e. no DSD format digital audio) and no multi-channel. To play multi-channel dsf files you will need to put them on a hard drive and either directly attach that to one of the normal USB peripheral device jacks of the OPPO, or access that hard drive over your network by putting it on an SMB server.

While doing that, use the multi-channel Analog outputs and use SACD Output PCM. The DSD data format from those files will be converted to multi-channel, high bit-rate LPCM, which is then processed as you need and passed to the DACs. All the settings for Speaker Configuration will then be available.

If you use HDMI audio output, then of course such adjustments would need to happen in your HDMI-capable AVR instead.
--Bob

which one is the normal usb?
post #1174 of 1686 Old 10-26-2013, 08:15 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

There are 3 (2 back, 1 front) "normal" USB ports, labeled USB1 and USB2 on the rear panel and with a USB symbol on the front, for connecting external storage, a USB keyboard, or the wireless network dongle. There's 1 Async USB input on the back in the "Digital Audio Input" section labeled "USB DAC".
post #1175 of 1686 Old 10-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Yes.

--Bob

The Asynchronous USB DAC digital audio Input is the square shaped socket so labeled on the back panel.

The USB peripheral device jacks are thin, rectangular shaped sockets -- 2 on the back panel and 1 on the front panel.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1176 of 1686 Old 10-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Liked: 11
I am thinking of buying the Oppo BDP-105 and it will be used for Audio playback only. I was looking at several DAC's before including Yulong DA8, Matrix X-Sabre, Anedio D2, and the Teac Reference Line UD-501. I need High Resolution USB playback but DSD is a huge plus. My listening will be done strictly with headphones via the RCA out jacks (Koss ESP-950). Do you think I will be happy with the sound quality of the BDP-105 compared to these other DAC's? I really have no way to compare them. Also any recommendations on where to purchase? I need a reputable place that has a 30 day trial period and has a good price. Not having to pay California sales tax would be a huge plus. If I'm posting in the wrong forum I apologize. I looked through several forums and didn't see a good one for my questions.
Pbnmjk likes this.
post #1177 of 1686 Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 133
^ The 105 is a fantastic media player. Whether playing a high fidelity audio or video digital file, you will be satisfied in your purchase decision. The 105 has some limitations. The 105 doesn't support DSD via its usb dac interface. DSD can be played via a network or attached usb drive. DSD128x is not supported (only 64x). I'm not sure if we're allowed to mention a business on this forum, but I bought my 105 from Crutchfield, and I believe they have a 60 day return policy.
post #1178 of 1686 Old 10-30-2013, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Noticed this sound quality thread has not been updated to reflect the many updates to the 105 such as DSD playback via USB or alac just to mention a few. I'm happy to report my sound quality from my 105 continues to amaze me. Am working now to determine if the DAC's in the 105 outperform the DAC's in my ssp-800. This is a never ending quest this hobby of ours.
Pbnmjk likes this.

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
post #1179 of 1686 Old 10-30-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post

Noticed this sound quality thread has not been updated to reflect the many updates to the 105 such as DSD playback via USB or alac just to mention a few. I'm happy to report my sound quality from my 105 continues to amaze me. Am working now to determine if the DAC's in the 105 outperform the DAC's in my ssp-800. This is a never ending quest this hobby of ours.

There was definitely a difference when I compared my BDP-105 against my Classe SSP-800. I'll let you come to your own conclusions when you evaluate the two. The difference I heard was in the midrange, the Classe was warmer in that region and filled in the soundstage with better depth. Female vocals really bring out the differences.
post #1180 of 1686 Old 10-31-2013, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

There was definitely a difference when I compared my BDP-105 against my Classe SSP-800. I'll let you come to your own conclusions when you evaluate the two. The difference I heard was in the midrange, the Classe was warmer in that region and filled in the soundstage with better depth. Female vocals really bring out the differences.

Sharp I was wondering if you are using the HDMI connection or a a coaxial connection when using the SSP-800 dac when listening to 2-channel? I don't have the 105 yet but I keep switching back and forth between my Denon A1 balanced analogs and the HDMI connection when listening to 2-channel and seem to prefer the A1 dac. However when listening to a music concert bluray I go with the HDMI over m/c analog outs.
post #1181 of 1686 Old 10-31-2013, 02:08 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:

So you felt the SSP-800 was better, that's good to know since it is almost 10 times the price wink.gif
post #1182 of 1686 Old 10-31-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

So you felt the SSP-800 was better, that's good to know since it is almost 10 times the price wink.gif

I didn't buy the SSP-800 at list either, don't know many that did.
post #1183 of 1686 Old 10-31-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

Sharp I was wondering if you are using the HDMI connection or a a coaxial connection when using the SSP-800 dac when listening to 2-channel? I don't have the 105 yet but I keep switching back and forth between my Denon A1 balanced analogs and the HDMI connection when listening to 2-channel and seem to prefer the A1 dac. However when listening to a music concert bluray I go with the HDMI over m/c analog outs.

I have the Oppo BDP-105 connected into the SSP-800 via balanced XLR Synergistic Research Resolution Reference MKII cables for 2 channel. With the Classe you can run it bypass w/o signal processing or with using the Classe's DSP which allows using the subwoofers (dual Fathom 113's). I use the latter. I also compared the HDMI output of the Oppo versus the XLR cable connection for 2 channel music. Both sounded very good with subtle differences but I prefer balanced for 2 channel. Like you, Blu ray discs are HDMI only.
post #1184 of 1686 Old 10-31-2013, 03:52 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View PostI didn't buy the SSP-800 at list either, don't know many that did.

Neither did I? But still assuming five or six time the cost!

post #1185 of 1686 Old 11-01-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the Oppo BDP-105 connected into the SSP-800 via balanced XLR Synergistic Research Resolution Reference MKII cables for 2 channel. With the Classe you can run it bypass w/o signal processing or with using the Classe's DSP which allows using the subwoofers (dual Fathom 113's). I use the latter. I also compared the HDMI output of the Oppo versus the XLR cable connection for 2 channel music. Both sounded very good with subtle differences but I prefer balanced for 2 channel. Like you, Blu ray discs are HDMI only.

Thanks Sharp for that info. Since I use the Rel sub base system I use the Bypass option on the SSP-800. Just for comparison I am thinking about disconnecting the Hi-Level connection on my Rel sub and not engage the Bypass option and use the Classe's bass/speaker management to see how that sounds. I have to say that just using the HDMI for 2-channel does sound pretty good however. It definitely sounds different to me that way, possibly a little less warm but perhaps a bit more detail.
post #1186 of 1686 Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

Thanks Sharp for that info. Since I use the Rel sub base system I use the Bypass option on the SSP-800. Just for comparison I am thinking about disconnecting the Hi-Level connection on my Rel sub and not engage the Bypass option and use the Classe's bass/speaker management to see how that sounds. I have to say that just using the HDMI for 2-channel does sound pretty good however. It definitely sounds different to me that way, possibly a little less warm but perhaps a bit more detail.

I had a REL sub in my older system, they are great subs especially when listening to music. I also used the Hi-level connection. I never had the opportunity to use them with the Classe. I am curious as to what happens and what changes you hear using the Classe bass/speaker management.
post #1187 of 1686 Old 11-01-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had a REL sub in my older system, they are great subs especially when listening to music. I also used the Hi-level connection. I never had the opportunity to use them with the Classe. I am curious as to what happens and what changes you hear using the Classe bass/speaker management.

I will let you know what I think.
post #1188 of 1686 Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 AM

Liked: 13

Here's what I found out, using optical, digital, or other USB input setups that bypasses the a-sync DAC and does not sound as good as the designated USB a-sync DAC input. I had it hooked up to the 7.1 analog outs only. I found that if I hooked up the stereo output, to say the CD input on my preamp, I could use the bass management on the pre-pro to be able to use the sub and ta da! The analog outs have far superior sound quality than the HDMI even in split mode. I purchased an Emotiva UMC-200 due to it's superb analog input's and very flexible tone controls and wanted to be on the cheep, price wise, ($499) new, and works wonderfully. Going back and forth between analog and HDMI I found watching Covert Affairs during 1 scene using the analog outs I could hear traffic in the background and was able to actually hear where the window was located in the room where the sound was coming from but the HDMI would not produce this effect and I could barely hear the traffic noise, let alone hear where it was coming from. So what it all boils down to for the best sound is to hook it up twice 7.1 analog for TV, Movies, and any multi channel listening, and for stereo only hook up the other outputs XLR or RCA to a analog stereo input and you'll do fine. I knew it was something easy I was missing about hook up.

Emotiva UMC-200, XPA-2 front, XPA-5 C-SL, SR, rear, OPPO BDP-105, B&W N803 mains, HTM2 center, LCR-6 S2 surrounds, DM 601 S2 Back, Velodyne Optimum 12 sub, Panasonic 60VT60, Directv HD HR-24, Panamax 5100. 3- dedicated 20 amp lines, 
post #1189 of 1686 Old 11-23-2013, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
For those of you who listen to music on your 105 via multi-channel analog or HDMI (if you are strictly a stereo person, then don't bother replying!), have you A/B'd the two connections? What are your thoughts? I notice a rather dramatic gain in warmth and richness with the analog connection, but also a rather serious loss of depth, especially with symphonic music. I'm not sure what would cause the loss of depth.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Sony XA5400ES SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
post #1190 of 1686 Old 11-23-2013, 11:12 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

For those of you who listen to music on your 105 via multi-channel analog or HDMI (if you are strictly a stereo person, then don't bother replying!), have you A/B'd the two connections? What are your thoughts? I notice a rather dramatic gain in warmth and richness with the analog connection, but also a rather serious loss of depth, especially with symphonic music. I'm not sure what would cause the loss of depth.

Is this to the same receiver? You are comparing the player's DACs with the receiver's DACs. And possibly other processing in the AVR.

-Bill
post #1191 of 1686 Old 11-23-2013, 11:30 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Is this to the same receiver? You are comparing the player's DACs with the receiver's DACs. And possibly other processing in the AVR.
Other processing such as room correction could make a HUGE difference.
post #1192 of 1686 Old 11-23-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

-Bill

Yes, my Marantz 8801. If the DACs are the issue, then the ones in the Marantz are superior in some respects! And yes, I have the Audyssey RC turned on...I don't notice that it impacts the depth, per se.

DALI Epicon 2 front speakers; DALI Epicon Vokal center speaker; Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 surrounds; SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofer; Marantz AV 8801 pre/pro; Parasound Halo A51 power amp; Sony XA5400ES SACD player; Oppo BDP 105 SACD/Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD 800 headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp.
post #1193 of 1686 Old 11-23-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv1080 View Post

Yes, my Marantz 8801. If the DACs are the issue, then the ones in the Marantz are superior in some respects! And yes, I have the Audyssey RC turned on...I don't notice that it impacts the depth, per se.

This is the benefit of having both the 8801/105 that I posted on extensively in the 8801 thread. the 8801 has good dac's indeed and are implemented well, when Audyssey is coupled along with that well the result should be better handling than playback without DRC as what its capable of in the time domain alone does indeed outweigh a non corrected signal regardless if its downsampled or not. I listen to a lot of classical multi/ch sacd via the 8801 with the hdmi 2 from the Oppo set to bitstream and its indeed a spacious grand performance that melts the room away. I still use the dac's in the 105 via XLR for my 2/ch as my mains are well placed and i have the room acoustically treated and here again the results are indeed good. As a better comparison try setting the delays in the 105 to the same values as those in the 8801 and turn Audyssey of or just put both in Pure mode (no distance settings, oppo set to bitstream as the 8801 will accept a native DSD stream via hdmi) and AB the two. As for the dac being superior in the 8801 vs. the 105 it all comes down to the implementation of the dac's and the supporting cast. If I've said it once I'll say it again I'm glad I have both wink.gif
post #1194 of 1686 Old 11-24-2013, 04:09 PM

After further critical listening, I think I'm hearing greater presence rather than a loss of depth with the analog connection. It does vary a bit from one recording to another, but I think I like the analog best overall--it just sounds so much richer and less "digital"--duh! smile.gif
audiofan1 likes this.

post #1195 of 1686 Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Liked: 13

For me I like hooking up the HDMI, 7.1 & the stereo analog inputs this way while listening to any output, and epically the Computer Audio using the USB A-synk DAC, I can use the bass management on the Pre-Pro to allow usage of my subwoofer and any tone controls as needed. I have an Emotive UMC-200 that gives me 4 customizable 11 band EQ's and 3 band subwoofer EQ controls as well as an adjustable "Q" setting for EACH speaker. ( That's counting the EmoQ) I  can switch between inputs and find what ever sounds best for any particular recording. That's the huge advantage of having ALL analog and Digital outputs live at the same time. I would say hook it up to as many inputs as you have and try them all. The choice is defiantly yours.

audiofan1 likes this.

Emotiva UMC-200, XPA-2 front, XPA-5 C-SL, SR, rear, OPPO BDP-105, B&W N803 mains, HTM2 center, LCR-6 S2 surrounds, DM 601 S2 Back, Velodyne Optimum 12 sub, Panasonic 60VT60, Directv HD HR-24, Panamax 5100. 3- dedicated 20 amp lines, 
post #1196 of 1686 Old 12-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 12
I find it ironic that if we want to take advantage of the better DACs in the 105, as I'm sure many of its buyers have inferior DACs in their pre/pros, you still need to dial in a lot of values in the speaker settings.
I just updated to firmware BDP10X-67-1204, and I had to restore all the settings and start from scratch again. This time though, I used an SPL meter to match my Oppo's trim levels of my 5.1 setup to my Onkyo 885p's "Test Tone" SPL readings, while also dialing in the distances of each speaker. The unfortunate fact remains that although you can try to match the crossover values overall in the Oppo almost to what the Audyssey figured out for each speaker, you cannot set the appropriate EQs to match each speaker. Oh, well.mad.gif At least it is some room-correction that you can audition versus Pure Audio mode when playing Stereo via the XLRs.

On another note, what do you guys think of the new Youtube interface?

Thanks,
///Arash
post #1197 of 1686 Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashjahn View Post

On another note, what do you guys think of the new Youtube interface?

Thanks,
///Arash

My wireless keyboard doesn't work with the new interface for some reason. And I love looking stuff up on You Tube and just letting it play in the background while I work on the computer.
Arashjahn likes this.
post #1198 of 1686 Old 12-07-2013, 03:06 PM

Liked: 10
I had purchased the 105 believing that it could serve as excellent DAC for music. The sound is defintely
wide band, high resolution and high definition. However, it still sounded slightly harsh as from digital artifacts
like overshoot or ringing. This week I got a Decco65 for my daughter and decided to test it out with
analog and coaxial connection from the 105. The analog connection sounded very similar as with my
MF A5 amp but when I switched to over to coaxial, the sound was slightly more natural and lacked the harshness
of the analog connection. It seems that the Decco65 has a slightly better implementation of the Sabre DAC?
I don't have other analog interconnects to check if that is the issue. Has anyone had the same experience?
The speakers are MA GX350.
post #1199 of 1686 Old 12-08-2013, 12:58 AM

Liked: 12
I'd say you let the Oppo play for 2 weeks nonstop before you decide. In my setup the harshness went away and the soundstage opened up. But it sure took a while smile.gif
audiofan1 likes this.
post #1200 of 1686 Old 12-08-2013, 02:35 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I don't know what an MF A5 is, but you want to use stereo for front LR if you're using multichannel. The manual provides instructions for connections and menu settings.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP & Oppo BDP-105
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page