Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 1705 Old 05-24-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I did that test but I do prefer the sound with the P5 in the chain. BTW I have the P5 tone control OFF. Also I need the P5 to do HT Bypass and share my front speakers, subwoofers and amp with both systems.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1705 Old 05-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

Have been a week since I got my 105D and I love it. I have it plugged into my Parasound Halo P5 via balanced interconnects. With some tunes I can hear a little bit of distortion at some frequencies, more than distortion I think is clipping. I had the volume in the Oppo at 100 but yesterday I bring it down to 75 and even at 80 there is no more distortion or clipping, so I opted to set the max volume for the stereo out at 75. Does this sounds right?

Also, just in case, make sure that in the OPPO's speaker setup, you do not have any volume trims set above 0.0. There should be no positive values. If for example the surrounds are 2 dB lower than the fronts, rather than up the surrounds +2, you should bring the mains down -2.

Omar
post #1533 of 1705 Old 05-25-2014, 07:27 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

Also, just in case, make sure that in the OPPO's speaker setup, you do not have any volume trims set above 0.0. There should be no positive values. If for example the surrounds are 2 dB lower than the fronts, rather than up the surrounds +2, you should bring the mains down -2. Omar

Why is that?

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1534 of 1705 Old 05-25-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Dan & Enrico,

The Parasound JC-2 analog stereo preamp has switches for SE or XLR input, and seems to pad XLR input 6 dB. There is no sound level change when switching from one to the other. I think Halo is a generic term Parasound uses, so to say Halo preamps is neither descriptive nor accurate. The Halo JC-2 and P5 seem aimed at different applications. Stereo from my Oppo 105 goes through the JC-2, surround directly to the amps, and SW directly to the bass manager.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #1535 of 1705 Old 05-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post

Also, just in case, make sure that in the OPPO's speaker setup, you do not have any volume trims set above 0.0. There should be no positive values. If for example the surrounds are 2 dB lower than the fronts, rather than up the surrounds +2, you should bring the mains down -2. Omar

Why is that?

The person posting was having trouble with clipping the inputs into his pre-amp. If you use positive speaker volume trims, that raises the output, and so you have to lower main volume to compensate when trying to eliminate the clipping.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #1536 of 1705 Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Bob,

I thought that Oppo did not recommend levels above 0. Not only for clipping but for distortion as well. Is that incorrect?

James

post #1537 of 1705 Old 05-26-2014, 05:10 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ That's incorrect. If there is no clipping, there's no problem with positive valued speaker volume trims.
-Bob

post #1538 of 1705 Old 05-26-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

Have been a week since I got my 105D and I love it. I have it plugged into my Parasound Halo P5 via balanced interconnects. With some tunes I can hear a little bit of distortion at some frequencies, more than distortion I think is clipping. I had the volume in the Oppo at 100 but yesterday I bring it down to 75 and even at 80 there is no more distortion or clipping, so I opted to set the max volume for the stereo out at 75. Does this sounds right?

Dear Enrico,

The P5 has a gain of 10dB and a rated maximum output voltage of 7V. That doesn't mean it will clip at exactly 7V; it depends somewhat on the input impedance of your amps and a measured clipping voltage may in fact be higher than this, especially with higher impedance amps.

Given the stated specs, one can compute the maximum input voltage that "could" cause clipping if the volume on the P5 were dialed up to its maximum 10dB gain:

dB ratio = 20 log (V2/V1) ---> 10 = 20 log (7/V1) --> V1 = 2.21V

The BDP-105D specs show a maximum output voltage of 4.2Vrms on the XLR outputs.

This yields a dB ratio of 20 log (4.2/2.21) = 5.57 dB

Since each volume step on the 105 corresponds to 0.5dB the calculation shows that you would have to limit the BDP-105D to a maximum of 88dB to avoid clipping on the preamp for a very loud recording and again, this would be with the preamp set to maximum volume.

It may be that in fact you were clipping at the amp. One can compute the clipping criterion for your amp too given its specs but with the preamp in the circuit one would need to know the voltage gain/loss your preamp volume control is dialed to in order to ultimately know the maximum output voltage from the preamp. Typical amps clip at 1-1.5V which is way less than the preamp is capable of producing.

Incidentally, I own the Parasound JC 2 BP preamp and for 2Ch listening its volume control is actually set to attenuate the signal from the BDP-105 around 10dB. Without the preamp in my setup, I would need to operate with volume levels on the BDP-105 around 45-65 vs the 65-85 I am able to achieve with the preamp in the circuit. I feel that this higher BDP-105 volume improves the macro dynamics. This is with the amps I have, in my setup.

Best,
James
post #1539 of 1705 Old 05-27-2014, 05:19 AM

Dear Enrico,

I'm assuming in the above post that the source of the distortion is not your 105D; the 105 series players exhibit virtually zero distortion at 0dBfs from the balanced outputs.

As OmarF pointed out in post #1532 though, you should adjust the volume trims such that there are no positive values. This is recommended by Oppo in the manual and they do state that clipping can occur otherwise.

You already dropped the volume down on your 105 and stated it sounds much better so you are probably good. 75/80 is a nice place for your 105D volume control to be.

Be aware also, there's likely an optimal range for your P5 volume too. On the JC 2 BP preamp, it is between 11am and 1pm. Outside this range THD+noise is greater.

So in retrospect, I'm betting it is unlikely I think that you were clipping on the preamp or at the amp(s) but it's good to know how to do the math in any case.

Lots to think about when you take a trip down analog lane ......

James
post #1540 of 1705 Old 05-31-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the informative thread everyone. I am looking hard at getting one of these and have somewhat of a hybrid situation. I am running a DEQX HDP-3 processor that provides EQ, time and phase alignment and crossovers to 6-channels of amplification to tri-amped Amphion speakers. I also have an Emotiva UMC-200 that is handy for the home theater parts if I need it.

For CD and computer, which is most common, I'd like to use coax digital to the DEQX and let it take it from there. I'd also use the Oppo for bass crossover. For DSD, I'd do the same thing, but with no sub.

For all the typical Blu Ray I'd prefer to run HDMI to the Oppo and then out to the amps, but I'd like to go balanced from the Oppo to my DEQX, leaving the single ended analog input on the DEQX open for my turntable. Is that possible? Or do I need to run all analog to my processor? Or do you recommend that I just eliminate the UMC-200 all together since I've got the DEQX as my preamp and go analog from the Oppo to the amps and balanced to the DEQX. BTW, I am planning to use a mini-DSP for eq on the sub.

The main issue is whether all the outputs on the Oppo are on all the time, or do I pick one and the others are turned off. It is unclear to me from the manual.

If you want to know, my other inputs are Apple TV and DirecTV.

Thanks
post #1541 of 1705 Old 05-31-2014, 07:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The audio outputs are all live simultaneously except for cases where licensing prohibits transmission. For example, SACD content is not allowed on the Optical/Coax outputs.
--Bob

post #1542 of 1705 Old 06-01-2014, 06:25 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ The audio outputs are all live simultaneously except for cases where licensing prohibits transmission. For example, SACD content is not allowed on the Optical/Coax outputs.
--Bob

Thanks Bob.
post #1543 of 1705 Old 06-05-2014, 02:59 PM

When listening music from YouTube with my Oppo 105D i hear the sound music coming from my TV speakers this is normal if someone can help me thank you
post #1544 of 1705 Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Rui View Post

When listening music from YouTube with my Oppo 105D i hear the sound music coming from my TV speakers this is normal if someone can help me thank you

Does audio not normally come through your TV speakers?

-Bill
Joseph Rui likes this.

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #1545 of 1705 Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Rui View Post

I'm going to guess that you are using the Analog outputs for audio from the 105D, and HDMI to your TV for video. You may have forgotten that HDMI also carries audio.

You can set HDMI Audio OFF in the 105D if you would prefer that audio not go to your TV.
--Bob
Joseph Rui likes this.

post #1546 of 1705 Old 06-05-2014, 03:42 PM

Is fixed thank you very much for that
post #1547 of 1705 Old 06-06-2014, 08:36 PM

Liked: 18
or turn your tv volume down
mtn-tech likes this.
post #1548 of 1705 Old 06-23-2014, 11:58 AM

Liked: 11
Ive tried now to rise the sound level of the oppo to 100% and it sounds that much better than before! The integrated oppo preamp is some kind of mess that kills the sound! If i use the analog preamp of my jadis instead its a huge improvemt in stereo soundquality!

Anyone noticed the same?

Btw: the german Tuning scene also noticed this and improved the oppo to a goppo, by gert volk. Maybe ill give this one a try...

Recent Set-Up:
2x Cabasse Iroise 3, 2x Cabasse Minorca, 1x Cabasse Ambrose
SVS PB12 Plus + Antimode cinema
Atevio 700HD, Jadis Orchestra, Le@udiophil, Macmini, Audirvana
Oppo BDP 105 EU, Viablue Chinch, Hippelli Chinch, Audioplan Finefilter, Powercord,..
post #1549 of 1705 Old 06-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo2984 View Post
Ive tried now to rise the sound level of the oppo to 100% and it sounds that much better than before! The integrated oppo preamp is some kind of mess that kills the sound! If i use the analog preamp of my jadis instead its a huge improvemt in stereo soundquality!

Anyone noticed the same?

Btw: the german Tuning scene also noticed this and improved the oppo to a goppo, by gert volk. Maybe ill give this one a try...
Just try a passive home made preamp with a chinese stepped attenuator (DACT like), it's worth $30, you may be surprised
The cambridge sounds like crap under 90 volume too.
post #1550 of 1705 Old 06-23-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

Anyone noticed the same?

See THIS POST where I already responded to you in the other thread where you cross posted.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1551 of 1705 Old 06-23-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
mix XLR and SE outputs?

My 105 should be arriving tomorrow. Reading the manual online I gather that you can use the dedicated stereo out for the FR and FL speakers and use the other channels on the multi channel out. That way you're getting the best SQ for the FR and FL speakers. Would it be ok to use the XLR for the FR and FL? I guess you'd have to lower the trim for those channels. Has anyone done this?

Also, is it recommended to have the unit playing continuously to speed up the break in process?

Forgive me if these questions have been asked before. I'm new to this thread. Thanks.

Jim
post #1552 of 1705 Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 133
^Yes you can use the analog outputs exactly as you describe, and you can use XLR for the FL/FR and the standard RCA for the rest.
No break in necessary.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI

Last edited by Smarty-pants; 06-24-2014 at 09:54 AM.
post #1553 of 1705 Old 06-23-2014, 09:42 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Will OPPO include ATMOS, and AURO 3D this will be the big play at CEDIA 2014

My humble Cinema
post #1554 of 1705 Old 06-24-2014, 03:31 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi View Post
My 105 should be arriving tomorrow. Reading the manual online I gather that you can use the dedicated stereo out for the FR and FL speakers and use the other channels on the multi channel out. That way you're getting the best SQ for the FR and FL speakers. Would it be ok to use the XLR for the FR and FL? I guess you'd have to lower the trim for those channels. Has anyone done this?
Just make sure you go into the setup menu and configure the 2 channel outputs to be front left and right instead of a 2 channel down mix or you'll end up with weird results.

I'm going to bow out of the break-in discussion...
post #1555 of 1705 Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Will OPPO include ATMOS, and AURO 3D this will be the big play at CEDIA 2014
This belongs in the threads discussing future products, as hardware changes will most likely be needed to support it.
post #1556 of 1705 Old 06-24-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
What volume were you at before?
post #1557 of 1705 Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM

Between 10 and usually 55 maximum

Recent Set-Up:
Oppo BDP 105 EU, Viablue Chinch, Hippelli Chinch, Audioplan Finefilter, Powercord,..
post #1558 of 1705 Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Between 10 and usually 55 maximum
You were under-utilizing the dynamic range of the player.

At a volume of 10 you were reducing the dynamic range by 45dB (0.5dB per volume step)

Oppo recommends a volume of 70-100.

Best,
James
post #1559 of 1705 Old 06-24-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If you are using a preamp, you should just used fixed output at 100 and be done with it. Although that won't work if you go directly to a power amp. I use a preamp myself due to the other AV equipment I use and need to plug into the preamp.
post #1560 of 1705 Old 06-25-2014, 12:07 PM

Thanx for the info, i use the oppo as preamp and now reduced the gain of my poweramps to be always in the good range of >70%

Recent Set-Up:
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page