Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 1686 Old 07-02-2014, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry for the stupid question:
I have an oppo bdp-105 and a lot of SACD. If i want to connect the oppo to the PS audio direct stream dac (therefore not using oppo DAC), when playing SACD the digital output won't send DSD, only PCM correct (I have heard the oppo digital output does not support DSD)?. Is there a way to send DSD to the Directstream DAC?
If there is not a way, is it better to use the oppo dac when listening to sacd (bypassing the Directstream DAC)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1686 Old 07-02-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashalc View Post
I have an oppo bdp-105 and a lot of SACD. If i want to connect the oppo to the PS audio direct stream dac (therefore not using oppo DAC), when playing SACD the digital output won't send DSD, only PCM correct (I have heard the oppo digital output does not support DSD)?. Is there a way to send DSD to the Directstream DAC?
If there is not a way, is it better to use the oppo dac when listening to sacd (bypassing the Directstream DAC)?
A man after my own heart! I'm getting my DirectStream DAC tonight!

Anywho, I think due to copying limitations, only HDMI outputs straight DSD - and I don't believe the HDMI on the DS DAC is the correct kind to receive this, I think it's only setup for the I2S input - which Oppo doesn't support.

IMHO, your best option for pure DSD, is to figure out how to rip all your SACD to digital - or deal with the PCM conversion.

I could be wrong on all this, I've not really researched it since I never went the SACD path - all the DSD I have is store bought downloads.

Good luck, and please, chime in here with what you figure out and how it sounds! I'm curious how this will work with the Oppo and DS DAC.
post #1563 of 1686 Old 07-02-2014, 10:40 AM

Followup - Configure your Oppo for DSD playback:

https://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx
post #1564 of 1686 Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Yeah, the only way to get DSD out of the Oppo so another DAC can do the conversion to analog is via the HDMI outputs. The other digital outputs (optical / coax) won't have anything (not even PCM due to licensing) and the analog outputs are obviously no longer digital.
post #1565 of 1686 Old 07-02-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The other digital outputs (optical / coax) won't have anything (not even PCM due to licensing) .
Not even PCM????? Are you sure??? that sucks
post #1566 of 1686 Old 07-02-2014, 05:34 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Not even PCM????? Are you sure??? that sucks
I'm sure. Licensing restrictions won't allow it.
post #1567 of 1686 Old 07-02-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I'm sure. Licensing restrictions won't allow it.
Yeah, for copyright protection, digital information needs to be encrypted between devices.
post #1568 of 1686 Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I create a DVD-Audio disks from vinyl rips. Want to choose a quiet DVD-Audio player.
Now I use universal player Marantz UD9004.
Intresting how OPPO compared to Marantz UD9004 sound and read dvd-audio disks noise.
And Marantz UD9004 don't read SACD-R on DVD-R discs.
OPPO read SACD-R?

What other recommendations?
Thanks all

Last edited by KnyazHM; 07-02-2014 at 08:58 PM.
post #1569 of 1686 Old 07-03-2014, 05:14 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 841
^ The 10x OPPO players do not play SACD-R discs. They CAN play both stereo and multi-channel DSD media files from an attached hard driver or a server on your house network.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1570 of 1686 Old 07-03-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Will OPPO include ATMOS, and AURO 3D this will be the big play at CEDIA 2014
Dolby Labs has already stated that any Blu-Ray player that can output an HDMI bitstream will work for ATMOS. ATMOS decoding is handled by (and requires) either an ATMOS-enabled receiver or processor and the proper loudspeakers. I don't expect any players that will support ATMOS directly. I don't know if the situation is similar for AURO 3D. Have any AURO 3D home products been announced?

post #1571 of 1686 Old 07-06-2014, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wanted to share some initial observations. I got my 105 recently and have been playing with settings and assessing performance. I was interested in DSD vs PCM mode for SACD playback. I'm running all analog to a multichannel preamp. My initial impression is that the SACDs I tried sounded the same whether in native DSD mode or converted to PCM. I'm pleased so now I can just leave it in PCM mode and can use speaker management settings for multichannel SACDs.

I must admit I'm a little disappointed in the overall sound so far with CDs and DVDs. I'm comparing it with a Denon 3800 BD player that was starting to act up after 6 years. When I first listened to the 105 out of the box, the sound was a bit thick, closed-in, and flat, definitely not impressive. I then left it on 24/7 for 8 days playing a variety of multichannel discs. So I now have about 200 hrs on it, and the sound is definitely better; however, I still think the Denon had more air and dimensionality. The strong suits of the Oppo so far appear to be detail, precise imaging, and articulate bass. Regarding BDs I think they may be more dynamic on the 105, but I need to do more evaluation.

Maybe the difference is the AL24 processing of the Denon player. I believe it's a type of upsampling. Maybe that's why lower resolution sources like CD and DVD sounded better.

I'm hoping the 105 (or me) just needs more break in time. The sound is still very good, just not amazing like I'm hearing others describe. These are still early impressions though.
post #1572 of 1686 Old 07-06-2014, 04:29 PM

The BDP-105 is a very dry, honest presentation. Some people like a smoother, more rolled off sound. The 105 can get a little fatiguing with poor recordings - garbage in, garbage out.
post #1573 of 1686 Old 07-06-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
The BDP-105 is a very dry, honest presentation. Some people like a smoother, more rolled off sound. The 105 can get a little fatiguing with poor recordings - garbage in, garbage out.
You're probably right. We'll see how it goes over the next several weeks.
post #1574 of 1686 Old 07-08-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi View Post
I wanted to share some initial observations. I got my 105 recently and have been playing with settings and assessing performance. I was interested in DSD vs PCM mode for SACD playback. I'm running all analog to a multichannel preamp. My initial impression is that the SACDs I tried sounded the same whether in native DSD mode or converted to PCM. I'm pleased so now I can just leave it in PCM mode and can use speaker management settings for multichannel SACDs.

I must admit I'm a little disappointed in the overall sound so far with CDs and DVDs. I'm comparing it with a Denon 3800 BD player that was starting to act up after 6 years. When I first listened to the 105 out of the box, the sound was a bit thick, closed-in, and flat, definitely not impressive. I then left it on 24/7 for 8 days playing a variety of multichannel discs. So I now have about 200 hrs on it, and the sound is definitely better; however, I still think the Denon had more air and dimensionality. The strong suits of the Oppo so far appear to be detail, precise imaging, and articulate bass. Regarding BDs I think they may be more dynamic on the 105, but I need to do more evaluation.

Maybe the difference is the AL24 processing of the Denon player. I believe it's a type of upsampling. Maybe that's why lower resolution sources like CD and DVD sounded better.

I'm hoping the 105 (or me) just needs more break in time. The sound is still very good, just not amazing like I'm hearing others describe. These are still early impressions though.

I think that the sound changes depending on how analytical your l/r loudspeakers are. If for instance you are using monitors that have a longer decay, the sound may appear airier, whereas you use loudspeakers that measure a bit better, the sound comes out a bit drier but more accurate. The trick is to find the right balance with the 105
post #1575 of 1686 Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I strongly suggest that you run, "not walk' and change the player's setting from 1080p to 720 in the player's video settings, it will make a notable difference if you are a music aficionado. if you have full range speakers you can further improve the sound by selecting Large on your audio set up and then proceed to turn off the sub setting as well.

this issue was brought up a couple of weeks ago and I am surprised that it hasn't been talked about more on this forum, as it makes the Oppo a much more capable player with music reproduction, there's more separation, more decay, and what I like to call a more 3D presentation, where instruments are located at different depths from each other in respect to the listener. With 1080p engaged the player takes the fun out of listening to music along with it.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.

Last edited by luismanrara; 07-08-2014 at 07:53 PM.
post #1576 of 1686 Old 07-08-2014, 09:12 PM

^That would be fascinating if that were true. I'll definitely give it a try. Could the small minority of owners who are not impressed with the sound of the 105 have defective units? I don't think my experience should be very different from most others, yet it is. Hmm...
post #1577 of 1686 Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
I strongly suggest that you run, "not walk' and change the player's setting from 1080p to 720 in the player's video settings, it will make a notable difference if you are a music aficionado. if you have full range speakers you can further improve the sound by selecting Large on your audio set up and then proceed to turn off the sub setting as well.

this issue was brought up a couple of weeks ago and I am surprised that it hasn't been talked about more on this forum, as it makes the Oppo a much more capable player with music reproduction, there's more separation, more decay, and what I like to call a more 3D presentation, where instruments are located at different depths from each other in respect to the listener. With 1080p engaged the player takes the fun out of listening to music along with it.
thanks for the reminder. It seems to make a difference (hope it isn't psychosomatic). My biggest problem with doing this is remembering to change it for movie watching
post #1578 of 1686 Old 07-08-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

dang it, now I forgot whether to set it to 1080p or auto for movie watching.....
post #1579 of 1686 Old 07-08-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^That would be fascinating if that were true. I'll definitely give it a try. Could the small minority of owners who are not impressed with the sound of the 105 have defective units? I don't think my experience should be very different from most others, yet it is. Hmm...
It's highly possible that it is just system dependent
post #1580 of 1686 Old 07-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
I wanted to share some initial observations. I got my 105 recently and have been playing with settings and assessing performance. I was interested in DSD vs PCM mode for SACD playback. I'm running all analog to a multichannel preamp.

Just for chits and grins, have you tried bypassing your preamp and all the extra rca cables, and run your Oppo direct to your amp(s)? You might be surprised how the overall sound may change for you if you do.
post #1581 of 1686 Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Try Source direct + RGB Video output in HDMI settings on both outputs, that's the best combo on my cambridge.
post #1582 of 1686 Old 07-09-2014, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
That was the case with me. After speaking to Oppo and being told that the sound probably doesn't suit my taste. I was not confident that sending it back to Oppo would have resulted in them finding the sound not to be quite rite. It had poor tonal quality. So I decided to take a chance and purchased a second unit from Crutchfield. Low an behold it was a day a night difference. I could not for the life of me understand what everyone was raving about. Till I compared the two units side by side. I am now quite please with the sound. Before sending my bad unit back to Oppo. I requested for a follow up call. To see what they had found and they agreed. But I never got that call. I just hope they did not send it back out the way it was.

James
post #1583 of 1686 Old 07-09-2014, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Just for the record, I am using an Arcam analog inputs and using it just for volume control. I am using Oppo's analog outputs as expected and the speakers are the Gallo reference 3.5 which I run as large (sub disengaged), no special cables or gadgets.

The difference in sound quality may be more noticeable in some systems than others, but it is there and is palpable. Turning off the display lights or shutting down video displays makes no difference at all to my ears.

To me the difference is like using another cd player altogether.

The big question would be to find out why this is happening in the first place? since this is noticeable using the analog outputs. I don't use HDMI for audio. I wonder if Oppo is aware of this situation?, it would be interesting to hear what they have to say about it.

post #1584 of 1686 Old 07-09-2014, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnarbi View Post
Try Source direct + RGB Video output in HDMI settings on both outputs, that's the best combo on my cambridge.
Problem with source direct is, I believe, it defeats Darbee processing, for those who have the Darbee units.

Does RGB mode clip whites and blacks right at high/low video signal boundaries? I've not tried with the OPPO, but with previous players, I found RGB mode created the appearance of deeper blacks and those more contrast, but what it was really doing was crushing the darkest shades of gray into black, thus erasing fine detail. Also, I found in RGB mode it's more difficult to get a precise brightness setting, as there is no blacker than video black third bar visible in the PLUGE pattern.

Omar
post #1585 of 1686 Old 07-09-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 124
^ It depends on your display Omar. Different displays handle different color spaces differently.
In theory, they should all look the same if the display processes them correctly.
For most modern displays it's better to just use 4:4:4 or AUTO.

If you have the S&M v2 calibration disc, it has some great stuff on it for color space education and testing.
I'm pretty sure the Spears & Munsil website also has some good info there too if you want to find it and read it.

EDIT: Here it is...
http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/portf...color-space-2/

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1586 of 1686 Old 07-09-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Testing this new theory about 720p SOUNDING better than 1080p(??).
My unit is a 105D and not a 105, but from my testing done just now, I can hear no difference between the two resolutions.

(BDP-105D 2 CH dedicated analog output wired directly to and Emotiva XPA-3 into 2 JBL LC2 speakers, DSD direct (no bass management))

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI

Last edited by Smarty-pants; 07-09-2014 at 06:58 AM.
post #1587 of 1686 Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Testing this new theory about 720p SOUNDING better than 1080p(??).
My unit is a 105D and not a 105, but from my testing done just now, I can hear no difference between the two resolutions.

(BDP-105D 2 CH dedicated analog output wired directly to and Emotiva XPA-3 into 2 JBL LC2 speakers, DSD direct (no bass management))

I've already moved on to another DAC for two channel, but I'll give this a spin tonight if I can find the time. My system is very revealing, and I have a couple tunes I like to use to spot subtle differences.
post #1588 of 1686 Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
I've already moved on to another DAC for two channel, but I'll give this a spin tonight if I can find the time. My system is very revealing, and I have a couple tunes I like to use to spot subtle differences.
Excellent, let us know how it goes. After hours of listening I don't find the difference to be subtle though, but more like going from just listening to music to really enjoying everything about the presentation, it's just more engaging..

post #1589 of 1686 Old 07-09-2014, 08:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post
Problem with source direct is, I believe, it defeats Darbee processing, for those who have the Darbee units.

Does RGB mode clip whites and blacks right at high/low video signal boundaries? I've not tried with the OPPO, but with previous players, I found RGB mode created the appearance of deeper blacks and those more contrast, but what it was really doing was crushing the darkest shades of gray into black, thus erasing fine detail. Also, I found in RGB mode it's more difficult to get a precise brightness setting, as there is no blacker than video black third bar visible in the PLUGE pattern.

Omar
There is a known bug in the current firmware which only affects the 103D and 105D. Do *NOT* use Source Direct and RGB Video Level with those until this is fixed as the player incorrectly outputs RGB PC Level when that combo is selected.

There is no problem using RGB Video Level even in these two players when an explicit Resolution choice (e.g., 1080p) is selected. And yes, RGB Video Level passes both Blacker than Black and Peak White pixel values without problem.

Note that the choice of RGB Video Level vs. PC Level needs to be selected MANUALLY at both ends of the cable. The flavor of RGB being used is NOT something an HDMI handshake can establish automatically.

(Some AVRs / Displays will clip the Blacker than Black and Peak White values themselves, but the player is transmitting them correctly.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1590 of 1686 Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
Excellent, let us know how it goes. After hours of listening I don't find the difference to be subtle though, but more like going from just listening to music to really enjoying everything about the presentation, it's just more engaging..
LOL, I've already got that now with the Oppo - switching to the XLR outs with my tube amp was a surprisingly good improvement.

As mentioned by others, using the Pure Sound button has done nothing for me but make the room nice and dark, though in theory it could make a difference.

However, as I've said before (and been shot down on), I do find playing from a rip of a CD from a hard drive to sound better than playing from the original Disc! And Oppo backed me up on this when I E-mailed their support/designers.

So I'll give the 720p thing a spin tonight...most of the video I watch is 720p anyways.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page