post #1621 of 1629 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonj1990 View Post
I just recently purchased the Oppo 105, Onkyo TX NR 838 and use the

Definitive Technology 8080 series speakers all around in a 5.1 system.

I currently am coming out of the oppo via RCA into the Onkyo CD RCA.

Is this connection going to give me the best stereo sound?

Does anyone have suggestions on this setup for best two channel sound?

Thanks.
I think you're on the right track...unless the receiver happens to have some XLR inputs. I found I really like the XLR output on my Oppo, but then that's probably my amp that's enjoying the extra voltage from XLR. I'm not sure you'd experience the same improvement on a typical receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1629 Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
I think you're on the right track...unless the receiver happens to have some XLR inputs. I found I really like the XLR output on my Oppo, but then that's probably my amp that's enjoying the extra voltage from XLR. I'm not sure you'd experience the same improvement on a typical receiver.
Thanks for the suggestion. However the Onkyo 838 AVR does not have XLR. The forthcoming 1030 and up will.
post #1623 of 1629 Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnarbi View Post
My guess is more about the mainboard, as it handles audio processing like speaker management, it has to do something in the sound path before it gets to the audio circuitry.
For those with a stereo setup, try if turning the sub output on or off changes anything while listening to a stereo track.
I tested that in the past we my 95. Two channel stereo, with all speakers set to Large, and I could hear a difference between sub on and off, even though it was never in actual use. I should try it again, see if I still get the same results
post #1624 of 1629 Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=Bob Pariseau;25634305]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

Are you playing that as DSD or PCM? Played as DSD eliminates even more, possibilities.

Please do try the experiment I described to shutdown the HDMI stuff and see if you still hear the difference.
--Bob
That is a good idea, bob. I'll try it this weekend, too.
post #1625 of 1629 Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarF View Post
I tested that in the past we my 95. Two channel stereo, with all speakers set to Large, and I could hear a difference between sub on and off, even though it was never in actual use. I should try it again, see if I still get the same results
Ok. If you hear a difference, try to switch back to 7.1, switch all speakers off and only leave the 2 front ones to large, switch back to stereo downmix, listen again
post #1626 of 1629 Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok. If you hear a difference, try to switch back to 7.1, switch all speakers off and only leave the 2 front ones to large, switch back to stereo downmix, listen again
I had my system set to 5.1 downmix during the test, with all speakers set to large, and center Off, as I don't use one, anyway.

I have noticed a difference in the sound of my 4.1 system when playing multichannel music, between downmix 5.1 and 7.1.

5.1 sounds more forward and live. This is when playing 5.1 source music. I attribute this to one of two possible causes, (1) the system is reserving head room for the 7.1 setting, and thus playing back less forcefully. Or (2) perhaps the system is figuring in the timing trims for the back surrounds (even though I have them turned off and all settings at zero on them), and thus altering the sound.

So, I can believe there would be a difference when switching from 5.1 downmix, to stereo downmix.
Omar
post #1627 of 1629 Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM

For the time correction to be off, you have to set all the speakers at the same value. The default 12ft is ok, but on all of them even if turned off.
post #1628 of 1629 Old Yesterday, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For the time correction to be off, you have to set all the speakers at the same value. The default 12ft is ok, but on all of them even if turned off.
What if the speaker is disabled in the setup? Does the delay it's set to have any effect? I wouldn't think it should.
post #1629 of 1629 Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM

There are many things that shouldn't be but obviously are

I think what would be best to try to get around all of this would be an option like source direct for the video, but for the audio path, that one activated completely disables the audio processing, speaker management, downmix and everything.
A stereo signal should be left completely alone, if speakers set to large, there is absolutely no reason that any setting should change one single thing to a stereo sound. Multi channel is another story of course.

Last edited by lnarbi; Yesterday at 11:37 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page