Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 1730 Old 09-28-2014, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Jadis:
Eingangsempfindlichkeit 200 mV, Eingangsimpedanz >100 kOhm.

Rotel:
Eingangsimpedanz/-empfindlichkeit 22 kOhm/1,5 V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1730 Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
In regards to input impedance, I read that the XPA-1 has 33 kohms balanced as opposed to 23.5 kohms unbalanced, so I brought some cheap rca to xlr adaptors for the Cambridge, and to my surprise it sounds better through the balanced inputs using the adaptors, fidelity hasn't changed, but dynamics have improved across the board.

I thought this must have been due to the greater input impedance of the xlr inputs, until I realized that those specs were for the gen-2 XPA-1, I have the gen-1, and the input impedance of the balanced input is actually less, 18 kohms balanced, as opposed to 20 kohms unbalanced.
So that's got me confused, but either way I'm definitely going to stay with the xlr connection, so I've brought some Cardas clear rca to xlr adaptors to see if they're an improvement over the cheap hosa adaptors.

Anyone got any idea why dynamics would improve on the balanced inputs when it's not even receiving a balanced signal on those inputs?

Last edited by guzz46; 09-29-2014 at 12:56 AM.
post #1713 of 1730 Old 10-15-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi y'all, I'm ready to buy this oppo 105. though I just read one guy was playing an external hard drive through the USB port and some noise came through and fried his tweeters. he then thought he could trace the problem to ripping the files with EAC. but then, a different guy said he heard some nasty noise coming through his speakers while playing a blu ray and he quickly shut off his system and it was ok. I know these posts were from a year or so ago, but was just wondering, have these issues been resolved and are they very common? has anyone ever experienced this problem while playing just a regular CD or DVD-audio? thanks, john (I want to buy this player but I have expensive speakers and I can't risk any funny business going on)
post #1714 of 1730 Old 10-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 945
^ If this were a common problem you'd be seeing way more howls posted here and in the 105 Owner's Thread. There are lots of folks using these players in setups with spendy speakers.

Given the complexity of content authoring and of the gear that gets hooked together to make a system, it's never possible to say with absolute surety that there can never be an audio glitch. But it's not something that seems to be a constant worry for anybody.

If you depend upon a low Volume setting for normal listing, do be sure to check your Volume before playing content after a firmware install or Reset of the player, lest you get startled by an unexpected Volume 100.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1715 of 1730 Old 10-15-2014, 06:39 PM

I would be playing through a pre-amp, so would the volume control come in to play for me? isn't it just set at a line level?
post #1716 of 1730 Old 10-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Volume 100 (or "FIXED") is full output -- line level. That's typically what you would use feeding the inputs of a pre-amp. Do volume control in the pre-amp.

However, if you find you are hearing clipping in loud passages, your pre-amp may not have a normal amount of headroom. So lower Volume in the OPPO a few dB to prevent that. Each volume step is -0.5dB attenuation.

The Volume adjustment only affects the Analog audio outputs (except for Volume 0, which is implemented as Mute and also shuts down the Digital audio outputs.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #1717 of 1730 Old 10-16-2014, 07:18 AM

well, my pre-amp is the emo XSP-1 gen 2 so I think I'd probably be safe in the headroom department, and be able to play the OPPO with the volume on 100.
post #1718 of 1730 Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi I just hooked up my 105 to a NAS via LAN cable and am trying to compare this to the USB drive I have been using, the only difference I hear is that the USB port is about 4db quieter than the LAN connection is this normal? Makes it hard to do an A-B comparison. the oppo 105 is outputting to my Classe' via HDMI, do any of you think the balanced outs sound better? both drives have only FLAC files.
Thanks
Mike
post #1719 of 1730 Old 10-30-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhenrie View Post
Hi I just hooked up my 105 to a NAS via LAN cable and am trying to compare this to the USB drive I have been using, the only difference I hear is that the USB port is about 4db quieter than the LAN connection is this normal? Makes it hard to do an A-B comparison. the oppo 105 is outputting to my Classe' via HDMI, do any of you think the balanced outs sound better? both drives have only FLAC files.
Thanks
Mike

[emoji50][emoji50][emoji50][emoji50] It pains me to hear of a 105 owner using only the digital outputs of this amazing player. The biggest reason to opt for the Oppo 105 as opposed to the 103 is to utilize the 105's audiophile DAC's, and the only way to do that is to use its analog outputs. If you only use the 105's hdmi output to listen to audio, then you are simply transporting/repackaging the digital audio to another source (i.e. your Classe) and utilizing your downstream source's own DAC. I realize a Classe is a high end component, and probably has a great DAC section, but if you knew you would only be sending digital streams to your Classe, then the 103 would have been the better choice. Hey, it's only money, right? [emoji23] Seriously, you should at least try out the 105's analog outputs, and compare for yourself. Save the hdmi output for watching movies. Use the analog outputs for high-end audio. As for your 4db difference between usb and LAN, I don't have a quick answer, since you're using only the 105's hdmi output. The Oppo players don't control volume for its digital outputs. Volume is only for the analog outputs and headphone output.
linger63 likes this.

Last edited by DanF8500; 10-30-2014 at 03:50 PM.
post #1720 of 1730 Old 10-30-2014, 04:08 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhenrie View Post
Hi I just hooked up my 105 to a NAS via LAN cable and am trying to compare this to the USB drive I have been using, the only difference I hear is that the USB port is about 4db quieter than the LAN connection is this normal?
I'm not sure we have enough info to give you a definitive answer, but the most likely explanation is that you're connecting to a DLNA server on the NAS and it's converting your FLAC files to another format to send to the Oppo. If the Oppo is actually receiving the same FLAC file in both cases, the volume levels should be identical.
post #1721 of 1730 Old 10-30-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I'm not sure we have enough info to give you a definitive answer, but the most likely explanation is that you're connecting to a DLNA server on the NAS and it's converting your FLAC files to another format to send to the Oppo. If the Oppo is actually receiving the same FLAC file in both cases, the volume levels should be identical.

Thanks for the Answers so quickly,
I will have to rummage around and find a set of Balanced cables to compare DACS it sounds like.
My NAS is a Synology 245 play (i think) and i did a direct copy from my usb hard drive to it I currently have no computer hooked up in the Network. I know that the Usb hard drive music says Flac on the Oppo screen when playing, not sure about the NAS though, I will check tonight.
Cheers
Mike
post #1722 of 1730 Old 10-30-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 51
You can always go into the "mode" section of your menu and run your Classe in "bypass mode" with a pair of balanced cables and listen that way. I listen to music thru my SSP-800 using the balanced analog inputs. I have also run the BDP-105 straight into my amp. I preferred the Classe as it has more midrange presence and better detail in the high end. The Oppo more high and low end detail. If I can describe it less forward in it's stage presentation. The bass was really good with the Oppo. However when comparing both the Classe to me sounded warmer overall. The Oppo has a sounding great DAC. It is however not Jack the Giant slayer all of the time. The majority of people replying on here replying have never ever heard the Classe. Just my opinion.
post #1723 of 1730 Old 10-30-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I used balanced analog connections between my 105 and Classe SSP-800 running in bypass mode. Use my LAN from my server running Jriver with no transcoding of any native formats. Can tell you my noise level from JRiver server is inaudible. That's no surprise because the noise level using HDMI is also inaudible. i just compared same DSD file using usb thumb-drive or LAN and no audible difference, just black background.

I changed from RCA to balanced connections early on when I got the 105 because I had a slight noise problem. With equipment of this caliber there is no excuse for noise. I also used all balanced connections from my ssp-800 to my classe CA-5300 and that last cabling change made my background black.

Another source of noise may be your electrical power source for the NAS and for your 105 and ssp-800 and power amp. I had five dedicated 20A circuits installed for my audio rack, my two svs 13 ultra subs, and my JRiver server upstairs. Finally I installed a PS Audio Perfectwave Powerplant 5 for everything in my rack except the amplifier, which has its own dedicated 20A circuit. Yes I have a substantial investment in the electrical systems for my audio and home theater systems, but that's how important a black noise background is to me. YMMV.

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
post #1724 of 1730 Old 10-30-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 51
wadeh911,

I am doing something similar to what you have done regarding power and how you have your equipment setup. It makes a huge difference in playback. The dedicated lines on my amps and dual subs plus the addition of running a true balanced system was the largest improvement so far.
post #1725 of 1730 Old 10-31-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I tried both XLR and RCA connections from the Oppo 105 to a Cary Cinema 11a and heard no difference. Now I have both XLR and RCA connections from the 105 to a Parasound JC-2. The JC-2 pads XLR input, so I can switch inputs while playing a disc with no level change. I hear no difference between XLR and RCA with the 105 to JC-2 connections. The noise floor of the system is inaudible to me whether the source is turntable, disc players, or satellite.

db

Thorens TD 124, SME Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge into Parasound JC-3 phono stage
Ayre C-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-105, & Sony XA5400ES disc players
Parasound JC-2 preamp into Proceed HPA amps
KEF Reference 107/2 mains & 102 surrounds
Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers & a pair of HGS-15 subs
post #1726 of 1730 Old 11-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Any of you guys have experience with these XLR cables on the BDP-105:

Kimber Hero
AudioQuest Yukon
Real Cable Cheverny II

Prices are the same, except that the Real Cable is currently on 50% discount.

cheers
post #1727 of 1730 Old 11-03-2014, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Typo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
Any of you guys have experience with these XLR cables on the BDP-105:

Kimber Hero
AudioQuest Yukon
Real Cable Cheverny II

Prices are the same, except that the Real Cable is currently on 50% discount.

cheers
I'm very happy with my Blue Jean XLR's on my 105

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
post #1728 of 1730 Old 11-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzz46 View Post
In regards to input impedance, I read that the XPA-1 has 33 kohms balanced as opposed to 23.5 kohms unbalanced, so I brought some cheap rca to xlr adaptors for the Cambridge, and to my surprise it sounds better through the balanced inputs using the adaptors, fidelity hasn't changed, but dynamics have improved across the board.

I thought this must have been due to the greater input impedance of the xlr inputs, until I realized that those specs were for the gen-2 XPA-1, I have the gen-1, and the input impedance of the balanced input is actually less, 18 kohms balanced, as opposed to 20 kohms unbalanced.
So that's got me confused, but either way I'm definitely going to stay with the xlr connection, so I've brought some Cardas clear rca to xlr adaptors to see if they're an improvement over the cheap hosa adaptors.

Anyone got any idea why dynamics would improve on the balanced inputs when it's not even receiving a balanced signal on those inputs?

Because balanced connection is double the output compare to se. Also balanced connection bypasses alot of circuits vs se, which results less noise.
post #1729 of 1730 Old 11-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Has anyone done a comparison with Oppo 105 dac vs audiolab mdac using balanced connection?
post #1730 of 1730 Old 11-04-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIM101 View Post
Because balanced connection is double the output compare to se. Also balanced connection bypasses alot of circuits vs se, which results less noise.
The volume level was the same between xlr and rca, I read some where that the xlr adapter only uses the hot leg so the voltage remains the same, but bypassing circuitry could be the reason .
Thanks
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page