Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1771 of 1778 Old 12-12-2014, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have had the 105d for 6 months or more- replacing denon 3800bdci for video. still not entirely sure about effects of darbee with my flat panels. Sometimes it seems to be useful.

Regarding Audio, Using the 105d direct via nordost Valhalla xlr into dartzeel 2-ch amp into Aerial Acoustics 20Ts via nordost Valhalla and using Aerial's sw12 subs- comparing it with mark levinson 390s cd processor (same set up)- mark levinson player sounds better but not by a huge margin- almost sounds good enough to get rid of the levinson player.

Regarding hometheater, the 105d has replaced a enlightened audio designs theatermaster signature 8 (5 channel processor) and it is amazing how good it sounds running the audio from a TiVo roamio through it. It really is unbelievable how this one box can do so much and do it well enough to satisfy both audiophiles and videophiles.
dbphd and audiofan1 like this.

Coton de Tulear-IndyFab-Kuro-XBR8-Sharp Elite-LG OLED - Current Loves of my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1778 Old 12-12-2014, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Thinking about getting the 105. Is it alright to feed the analog outputs of the 105 into my Denon X4000 AVR CD inputs or will the Denon mess with the sound quality? Want to use my sub woofer that's controlled by the Denon.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ----------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver & Emotiva XPA-200 Amp
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE--B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #1773 of 1778 Old 12-12-2014, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anthem P5 Amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ I think the pairing will pose no issues. Another factor to look at is the input sensitivity of the amp. For the Anthem P5, it is 1 Vrms. The 103/105 put out 2.1 Vrms out their rca's. Those players will put out 1 Vrms at around a 6 dB reduction of their max volume (100). This equates to about 12 volume steps/clicks of the 103/105's volume control. So, the voltage divider (voltage attenuation) created from the output impedance of the 103/105 (100 Ohms) and input impedance of the Anthem P5 (18 K Ohms) is fairly small, which means you should be able to reach the Anthem amp's max output (if you so desire) near a 103/105 volume just shy of 90, with room to spare.

Reports from owners who have connected their Oppo players direct to amps have been mixed. A few say they have maxed out the Oppo volume control and wish they could increase vol a little more for quieter passages of classical music or a low output audio disc, while most say they have more than enough reserve volume, and typically listen with volume in the 40-80 range.

I've read that Oppo recommends a 47K input impedance for a load, so just about anything at or over 47K will pose no issues. That's not to say a load of a little under 47K won't work...it's just not ideal.

There's other factors that I will not discuss that can affect fidelity between player/amp (i.e. load on the output amp stage of the 105). If you want more details, read Official OPPO BDP-105 Owner's Thread post 8287 in the 105 owner's thread by Laird Wiiliams.

I was catching up on my reading on AVS and came across your post on the Anthem P5. I'm afraid you explanation concerning the gain structure of the P5 isn't quite correct. The P5 outputs 28.3 volts with an input of 1 volt. This equates to a 100 watt output into an 8 ohm load and 200 watt output into 4 ohms. A 100 watt output with a 1 volt input is also given the specifications section in the P5 manual. Just shy of 90 on the OPPO volume control will give a reduction of about 5 dB in voltage output, let's say 6 dB to avoid much math. That amounts to 1/2 the voltage output or about .5 volt. That drive into an Anthem P5 will result in an output of about 25 watts into 8 ohms.

The required input potential to obtain the full output from the Anthem P5 into an 8 ohm load is about 1.8 volts. Stretching my math skills puts this output level down about 1.3 dB from the 2.1 volt full scale output of the RCA's in the OPPO unit. This level is around 3 units, or a setting of 97 on the volume control.

I own a BDP-105, but I don't directly drive power amplifiers with the unit. I didn't realize that the 105 wanted to see a 47k Ohm or higher input impedance. That input impedance is quite high, higher than many solid state amplifiers including the Anthem P5 as you note. It seems odd that OPPO gives that high figure because the op amps it appears that OPPO uses (TI LME4562) in the 105 could drive loads down to 600 ohms with little degradation. Driving 600 ohm loads is the first claim on the datasheet for the LME4562.
post #1774 of 1778 Old 12-12-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
I was catching up on my reading on AVS and came across your post on the Anthem P5. I'm afraid you explanation concerning the gain structure of the P5 isn't quite correct. The P5 outputs 28.3 volts with an input of 1 volt. This equates to a 100 watt output into an 8 ohm load and 200 watt output into 4 ohms. A 100 watt output with a 1 volt input is also given the specifications section in the P5 manual. Just shy of 90 on the OPPO volume control will give a reduction of about 5 dB in voltage output, let's say 6 dB to avoid much math. That amounts to 1/2 the voltage output or about .5 volt. That drive into an Anthem P5 will result in an output of about 25 watts into 8 ohms.

The required input potential to obtain the full output from the Anthem P5 into an 8 ohm load is about 1.8 volts. Stretching my math skills puts this output level down about 1.3 dB from the 2.1 volt full scale output of the RCA's in the OPPO unit. This level is around 3 units, or a setting of 97 on the volume control.

I own a BDP-105, but I don't directly drive power amplifiers with the unit. I didn't realize that the 105 wanted to see a 47k Ohm or higher input impedance. That input impedance is quite high, higher than many solid state amplifiers including the Anthem P5 as you note. It seems odd that OPPO gives that high figure because the op amps it appears that OPPO uses (TI LME4562) in the 105 could drive loads down to 600 ohms with little degradation. Driving 600 ohm loads is the first claim on the datasheet for the LME4562.
I guess I'm a little confused with your math in your text I highlighted above. Half the max voltage output of a 103's/105's rca outputs is .5 * 2.1 V = 1.05 Volts, which is a 6dB reduction (12 volume clicks, just shy of 90).
post #1775 of 1778 Old 12-12-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
I guess I'm a little confused with your math in your text I highlighted above. Half the max voltage output of a 103's/105's rca outputs is .5 * 2.1 V = 1.05 Volts, which is a 6dB reduction (12 volume clicks, just shy of 90).
I agree with your math. The point I was trying to make was that a 1 volt input (due to a setting of 90 on the OPPO volume control) to the Anthem P5 would result in a 100 watt output into 8 ohms, not full output (max output) as was, at least to me, implied by your text. To get full output would require something like 1.8 volts which is around 97 on the OPPO volume control.

Such a match between the OPPO and P5 seems like a good result. It optimizes the S/N ratio of the OPPO and yet doesn't overdrive the P5. Many people aren't comfortable with high volume settings on a preamp (the OPPO in this case) but actually such settings often optimize the S/N of the system.
post #1776 of 1778 Old 12-12-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
I agree with your math. The point I was trying to make was that a 1 volt input (due to a setting of 90 on the OPPO volume control) to the Anthem P5 would result in a 100 watt output into 8 ohms, not full output (max output) as was, at least to me, implied by your text. To get full output would require something like 1.8 volts which is around 97 on the OPPO volume control.

Such a match between the OPPO and P5 seems like a good result. It optimizes the S/N ratio of the OPPO and yet doesn't overdrive the P5. Many people aren't comfortable with high volume settings on a preamp (the OPPO in this case) but actually such settings often optimize the S/N of the system.
Ahhh, yes. I see now. The P5's max power output is 325 watt rms into 8 Ohms per ch. So, square root (325*8) = 50.99 V. With the P5 having a voltage gain of 28.3 V(29dB), that would compute to an input sensitivity of 50.99/28.3 = 1.8 Volts to reach max P5 power output into 8 Ohm. Yeah, high 90's 105 vol driving the P5 would produce ear piercing audio!

Last edited by DanF8500; 12-12-2014 at 04:15 PM.
post #1777 of 1778 Unread Today, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pure stereo settings

Hi everyone... I've had by 105 for a year now... is there a way to bypass all the speaker config settings so I get as pure a stereo signal as possible? (e.g. bypass speaker size, crossover, distance, dB, etc).

Thanks.
post #1778 of 1778 Unread Today, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiace_drifter View Post
Hi everyone... I've had by 105 for a year now... is there a way to bypass all the speaker config settings so I get as pure a stereo signal as possible? (e.g. bypass speaker size, crossover, distance, dB, etc).

Thanks.
Ooops.... I had also posted this in the main 105 owners thread... and it has been answered there.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page