Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 61 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 1817 Old 02-18-2015, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbunnell View Post
Hello, I'm new to AVS and this Oppo forum. For what it's worth, I've had the BDP-105D for almost a year. I use it primarily for stereo audio, so I went with Kimber Kable Hero XLRs directly into my Parasound Halo P3 preamp, which in turn is connected with another set of Hero XLRs to a Parasound Halo A23 power amp. After what seemed like a brief break-in period, I've been astonished by the sound (better than my BDP-95, which I moved to a second system in another room).

Hi,

Have you tried hooking up your Kimber Hero XLR's from the OPPO..... STRAIGHT to your Parasound Halo A23.........leaving the Parasound Halo P3 OUT of the chain??

Don't forget to set volume on the OPPO to "variable" and dial it down before you start.

If the cables aren't long enough just join them together!!!

Have a listen............. and be prepared for quite a surprise!!!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1817 Old 03-01-2015, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Folks,

I am burning in my new BDP-105D (does not sound as good as my Linn Unidisk SC, which has a more even, smooth balance, a bit richer, not as bright/edgy in the upper midrange/lower treble and somewhat better deep bass...however the Linn is a well broken in $6K unit with an upgraded Dynamik power supply) and am hoping that the sound will improve. I have about 100 hours on the Oppo at the moment and it has improved during the first 100 hours.

I only use the 2-channel stereo outputs for music listening and HDMI 1 to my Pioneer Elite Plasma for DVD and Blu-ray. Movie sound is either directly from the Oppo 2-channel stereo outputs, or from the Pioneer fed by the Oppo HDMI 1. My preamplifier is a McIntosh C2200 and my system is 2 channel only (mono-block tube amplifiers).

A couple of questions:

1. Is there an advantage to setting SACD to DSD rather than PCM? Does this avoid extra signal processing?

2. In order to ensure SACD DSD, is it necessary to turn off HDMI audio? If yes, this will mean turning it back on to watch DVDs and BDs?

Thanks for any help
post #1803 of 1817 Old 03-01-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf57 View Post
Hello Folks,

A couple of questions:

1. Is there an advantage to setting SACD to DSD rather than PCM? Does this avoid extra signal processing?

2. In order to ensure SACD DSD, is it necessary to turn off HDMI audio? If yes, this will mean turning it back on to watch DVDs and BDs?

Thanks for any help
If there's no plan on your part to utilize the Oppo's speaker configuration menu settings, down-mixing, or crossover while playing SACD's or DSD files, then setting SACD Output to DSD would be the better choice. SACD Output to DSD bypasses all the above Oppo features I mentioned above, and its DACs will convert DSD audio direct to analog output. Setting SACD Output to PCM will convert DSD audio to an interim LPCM, 88.2 kHz, 24 bit stream before converting to analog.

It is "not" necessary to turn off HDMI audio while SACD output is set at DSD. The 105D will mute one or both of its hdmi outputs if the receiving audio sources attached to those interfaces can't decode DSD audio streams.

Last edited by DanF8500; 03-01-2015 at 01:59 PM.
post #1804 of 1817 Old 03-01-2015, 04:53 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks DanF8500...glad to hear it is not necessary to turn off HDMI audio. I'll update on the sonic changes as the unit burns in.
post #1805 of 1817 Old 03-01-2015, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I plan on getting the oppo 105d and was hoping one could steer me into the right way of upgrading it. I see there are a couple of upgrading websites, which one should I choose. Im new to this. Also, will this improve sound quality. thanks
post #1806 of 1817 Old 03-02-2015, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 26
No rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post
I plan on getting the oppo 105d and was hoping one could steer me into the right way of upgrading it. I see there are a couple of upgrading websites, which one should I choose. Im new to this. Also, will this improve sound quality. thanks

Hi,

Get your 105D and have a listen to it for a while first.

You may well decide that an upgrade (mod) is not necessary!!!

Obviously ALL the OPPO mod sites will claim audible improvements in SQ.

I am in Australia and had an older OPPO 83 fully modded by Custom Analogue.

I can comfortably state that it sounded pretty decent BEFORE the mods but AFTER the mods it clearly sounded MUCH better.

Here's Joe's website..........

http://www.customanalogue.com/index.html

I would imagine that a fully modded 105D would sound spectacular.

You DO need to take into A/C the extra $$ as if you decide to upgrade later you will lose most of mod investment when reselling.

Other well known modders of OPPO's include......

http://www.modwright.com/modificatio...dp83se-mod.php

http://www.audiocominternational.com/15-oppo-mods

There are a few more out there also.

Each of them have their own specific mods like reclocking or tube output so, if/when the time comes, some SERIOUS research is required to determine which modders strategy suits YOU the best.

Cheers,

John
post #1807 of 1817 Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 AM

After 175 hours of burn-in the Oppo BDP-105D is sounding smoother (upper midrange/lower treble harshness/edge has receded), sweeter and better integrated. I will see what happens with a few more hours...perhaps something startling....
post #1808 of 1817 Old 03-05-2015, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Personally, I agree with you. But there are people who think you are just getting comfortable with the sound and that electronics don't "break in".
post #1809 of 1817 Old 03-05-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post
Personally, I agree with you. But there are people who think you are just getting comfortable with the sound and that electronics don't "break in".
Nah...I compare to my Linn Unidisk SC and the sonic signature has changed.
post #1810 of 1817 Old 03-26-2015, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an OPPO 83 and was planning on replacing the former with the 105D, based on much I what I've read here. Sounds like a very worthwhile upgrade.

My question concerns bi-amping. I'd like to try bypassing the Krell pre pro I currently use and go directly to the amps. I've read where both balanced and unbalanced RCA are active- is that the 7.1 RCAs or the stereo RCAs or all three?

So I presume I use those outputs that are active and adjust for the +6 DB balanced output signal using the gain controls on the amps.
Or, one amp (Krell) has balanced line outs so I could run the amps in series vs. in parallel as at present.

Anyone else using the 105 in a bia-amped set-up? If so, how are you doing it?

I also use 2 x subs (one itself bi-amped) but I should be able to split one of the two sub outs making effectively 3 x sub outs.

I also
post #1811 of 1817 Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 226
^ Seems like you may be making it a bit more complicated than it needs to be...

First, all outputs on the player are active 24/7. So, theoretically you could send a 7.1 channel audio track to one source,
a stereo version of that to another source via the RCA stereo outputs, and yet another stereo version out via the balanced outputs.

You could use the balanced AND unbalanced at the same time, but they still may not sound the same, even after compensating for the 6dB difference.
If I were to do such a setup (bi-amped), I would just put an RCA splitter on each of the RCA outputs and split the signal of each 2 ways to 2 amps.
It may weaken the signal ever so slightly, but as long as the cable runs are short it shouldn't be an issue, and won't truncate the AQ.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1812 of 1817 Old 03-27-2015, 05:32 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Seems like you may be making it a bit more complicated than it needs to be...

First, all outputs on the player are active 24/7. So, theoretically you could send a 7.1 channel audio track to one source,
a stereo version of that to another source via the RCA stereo outputs, and yet another stereo version out via the balanced outputs.
If doing this, make sure the Oppo's dedicated stereo outputs are configured as front left/right instead of stereo downmix so that surround content won't be mixed into the dedicated stereo outputs. However, the dedicated stereo outputs and the multichannel outputs have a different DAC configuration, so I wouldn't be inclined to mix them in a situation such as biamping - I'd rather use an RCA splitter (or XLR splitter) as Smarty suggested later in his post.

The option of using the balanced line outputs on the Krell amp to feed the signal to the other amp would also be a good option.

But what speakers are you looking to biamp, @ritter ? In most cases, there really isn't any benefit and one would usually get better results from just getting a better single amp (or a pair of monoblocks) rather than splitting funds into 2 amps. Just something to think about.
post #1813 of 1817 Old 03-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks both for the quick reply.

I have B&W 801 S3's as my mains. They are power hungry and require high current amps to control the bass in particular.

I use a Krell amp (500w @ 4 ohms) for the tweeter/ midrange and a Crown K2 for the 12" drivers. At 800w (@ 4 ohms) the K2 has the high current the drivers like and the SQ reflects that. I've tried different iterations but this is the one I like best so far.

I also have another K2 powering a VMPS Larger sub- one side to the 15" and the other to the 12" driver. These amps deliver not only muscle but also great control for big drivers.

I guess I'm inclined to split the balanced outputs of the 105 as I already have the lengths necessary to run to amps (rather than through the Krell's balanced outputs).
post #1814 of 1817 Old 05-03-2015, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wondering if anyone else has noticed this with DSD material... Everyone seems to agree that the DAC volume control in the 105 works really well at not degrading sound quality. I've recently readjusted the gains on my amps to take my "normal" listening volume on the Oppo from ~35 to ~65. Non-DSD material sounds the same, but there has been a very noticeable increase in the quality/detail of DSD based material. Does anyone know if the DAC uses a different method for volume control with DSD? I would think because of the nature of DSD, the previously described bit dropping doesn't work? The detail increase has been mainly in upper octave sounds, guitar string "attack" and the front end dynamics mainly. Also, much more realistic vocal "air".

I've repeated this a few times and I don't think I'm imagining it. I would like to do more work to raise the Oppo volume control level, but don't have the equipment to test output clipping. I would hope that Oppo has designed everything in a way that would allow you to run near ~0 on the volume and not clip with reference source material. After all, the fixed output setting is at "0"?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
post #1815 of 1817 Old Today, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 226
^ You shouldn't get any clipping in the player no matter how high you turn up the volume control.
It is best to have the volume control above the 50% mark to avoid any audio degradation.
Since you have it at 65 now, it is very unlikely that you will hear any difference in AQ by turning it up any more than that.

Here is an official qute I got from the CTO of Oppo Digital a while back...
Quote:
The BDP-105 uses the ES9018 DAC chip’s digital volume control. The ES9018 DAC has a 135dB dynamic range. The BDP-105 has a 110dB dynamic range. There is a 25dB difference before the noise floor of the player’s analog circuit starts to affect digital dynamic range. For BDP-105 each step of the volume control scale is 0.5dB, so it is best to have the volume control somewhere between 50 and 100.
Setting the volume below 50 does not mean that it will sound poor. It just means that the full potential of the hardware is not utilized.

Jason Liao
OPPO Digital, Inc.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1816 of 1817 Old Today, 06:13 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 1122
The Rule of Thumb is to set up your Analog audio path so that you can use an OPPO Volume of 70 or higher. Jason's statement of 50 or higher is the technically correct answer. The extra 20 steps (10 dB) allows some margin in case you really need to lower volume below 70 for some content.

But these limits are related to dynamic range (max content volume over the content noise floor) and how that relates to the noise floor of the player. So if you push it, you are only going to notice it anyway in high quality recordings which feature high range and low noise floor. I.E., you are unlikely to hear it on CDs which have been "compressed" to make EVERYTHING sound loud.

It may simply be that the DSD recordings in question here are better recordings, not due to DSD but due to the care taken in the recording process.
--Bob
post #1817 of 1817 Old Today, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 74
This discussion regarding the volume control on the Oppo, reminds me of the "sweet spot" on the volume control on analog preamps years ago. Some things seem stay the same.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread