Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 61 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1801 of 1809 Old 02-19-2015, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbunnell View Post
Hello, I'm new to AVS and this Oppo forum. For what it's worth, I've had the BDP-105D for almost a year. I use it primarily for stereo audio, so I went with Kimber Kable Hero XLRs directly into my Parasound Halo P3 preamp, which in turn is connected with another set of Hero XLRs to a Parasound Halo A23 power amp. After what seemed like a brief break-in period, I've been astonished by the sound (better than my BDP-95, which I moved to a second system in another room).

Hi,

Have you tried hooking up your Kimber Hero XLR's from the OPPO..... STRAIGHT to your Parasound Halo A23.........leaving the Parasound Halo P3 OUT of the chain??

Don't forget to set volume on the OPPO to "variable" and dial it down before you start.

If the cables aren't long enough just join them together!!!

Have a listen............. and be prepared for quite a surprise!!!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1809 Old 03-01-2015, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Folks,

I am burning in my new BDP-105D (does not sound as good as my Linn Unidisk SC, which has a more even, smooth balance, a bit richer, not as bright/edgy in the upper midrange/lower treble and somewhat better deep bass...however the Linn is a well broken in $6K unit with an upgraded Dynamik power supply) and am hoping that the sound will improve. I have about 100 hours on the Oppo at the moment and it has improved during the first 100 hours.

I only use the 2-channel stereo outputs for music listening and HDMI 1 to my Pioneer Elite Plasma for DVD and Blu-ray. Movie sound is either directly from the Oppo 2-channel stereo outputs, or from the Pioneer fed by the Oppo HDMI 1. My preamplifier is a McIntosh C2200 and my system is 2 channel only (mono-block tube amplifiers).

A couple of questions:

1. Is there an advantage to setting SACD to DSD rather than PCM? Does this avoid extra signal processing?

2. In order to ensure SACD DSD, is it necessary to turn off HDMI audio? If yes, this will mean turning it back on to watch DVDs and BDs?

Thanks for any help
post #1803 of 1809 Old 03-01-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf57 View Post
Hello Folks,

A couple of questions:

1. Is there an advantage to setting SACD to DSD rather than PCM? Does this avoid extra signal processing?

2. In order to ensure SACD DSD, is it necessary to turn off HDMI audio? If yes, this will mean turning it back on to watch DVDs and BDs?

Thanks for any help
If there's no plan on your part to utilize the Oppo's speaker configuration menu settings, down-mixing, or crossover while playing SACD's or DSD files, then setting SACD Output to DSD would be the better choice. SACD Output to DSD bypasses all the above Oppo features I mentioned above, and its DACs will convert DSD audio direct to analog output. Setting SACD Output to PCM will convert DSD audio to an interim LPCM, 88.2 kHz, 24 bit stream before converting to analog.

It is "not" necessary to turn off HDMI audio while SACD output is set at DSD. The 105D will mute one or both of its hdmi outputs if the receiving audio sources attached to those interfaces can't decode DSD audio streams.

Last edited by DanF8500; 03-01-2015 at 02:59 PM.
post #1804 of 1809 Old 03-01-2015, 05:53 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks DanF8500...glad to hear it is not necessary to turn off HDMI audio. I'll update on the sonic changes as the unit burns in.
post #1805 of 1809 Old 03-01-2015, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I plan on getting the oppo 105d and was hoping one could steer me into the right way of upgrading it. I see there are a couple of upgrading websites, which one should I choose. Im new to this. Also, will this improve sound quality. thanks
post #1806 of 1809 Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
No rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstosity12 View Post
I plan on getting the oppo 105d and was hoping one could steer me into the right way of upgrading it. I see there are a couple of upgrading websites, which one should I choose. Im new to this. Also, will this improve sound quality. thanks

Hi,

Get your 105D and have a listen to it for a while first.

You may well decide that an upgrade (mod) is not necessary!!!

Obviously ALL the OPPO mod sites will claim audible improvements in SQ.

I am in Australia and had an older OPPO 83 fully modded by Custom Analogue.

I can comfortably state that it sounded pretty decent BEFORE the mods but AFTER the mods it clearly sounded MUCH better.

Here's Joe's website..........

http://www.customanalogue.com/index.html

I would imagine that a fully modded 105D would sound spectacular.

You DO need to take into A/C the extra $$ as if you decide to upgrade later you will lose most of mod investment when reselling.

Other well known modders of OPPO's include......

http://www.modwright.com/modificatio...dp83se-mod.php

http://www.audiocominternational.com/15-oppo-mods

There are a few more out there also.

Each of them have their own specific mods like reclocking or tube output so, if/when the time comes, some SERIOUS research is required to determine which modders strategy suits YOU the best.

Cheers,

John
post #1807 of 1809 Old Today, 08:40 AM

After 175 hours of burn-in the Oppo BDP-105D is sounding smoother (upper midrange/lower treble harshness/edge has receded), sweeter and better integrated. I will see what happens with a few more hours...perhaps something startling....
post #1808 of 1809 Unread Today, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Personally, I agree with you. But there are people who think you are just getting comfortable with the sound and that electronics don't "break in".
post #1809 of 1809 Unread Today, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post
Personally, I agree with you. But there are people who think you are just getting comfortable with the sound and that electronics don't "break in".
Nah...I compare to my Linn Unidisk SC and the sonic signature has changed.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page