Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1861 of 1863 Old Yesterday, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoNtO View Post
Hi all,

Recently acquired a BDP-105D on Craigslist and hooked it up this weekend.

Previous system chain: PS3/Mac Mini --> glass optical / USB --> Peachtree Audio Nova125 (integrated DAC/amp) --> Clear Day Cables Double Shotgun solid core silver cables --> Magnepan 1.6QR

New system chain: Oppo BDP-105D --> Clear Day Cables solid core silver unshielded, unbalanced interconnects --> Peachtree Audio Nova125 --> double shotguns --> Maggies

(Bolded components are the only things I changed.) Speakers set to large and proper stereo settings enabled in the Oppo. Fixed signal output and use Peachtree preamp functionality. Power conditioner is APC H15. Everything plugged into appropriate filtered ports. Power cables for Oppo and Peachtree are Shunyata Venom3.

The first thing I noticed when upgrading the chain was a much harsher and strident sound using some material I was pretty familiar with. After letting the system settle for a day or two, I tried again yesterday and the same negative attributes were still present. Curious, I hooked up my same optical cable from the Oppo to the Peachtree (bypassing the Oppo DAC and the interconnects) and the sound I was used to returned, a little less detailed and with slightly less resolution, but not cringe-worthy.

Since the Oppo uses the ESS Sabre 9018 chip and the Nova125 uses the ESS Sabre 9023 chip, I doubt the DAC switch is the culprit and think it's probably the silver interconnects. They are a 1m pair, unshielded, using the same solid core silver as my speaker cables that I preferred when A/Bing two years ago to the copper speaker cables I demoed against (AntiCables level 3 reference).

Has anyone here had a similar experience? Any recommendations for a good copper RCA interconnect to try out and determine whether the silver interconnect is the culprit? Sort of disappointed after reading about the player for so many years to not be able to listen to it comfortably for more than a few minutes after first hookup...

unshielded, unbalanced interconnects = garbage
ZoNtO likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1863 Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post
unshielded, unbalanced interconnects = garbage
I have a pair of Blue Jeans LC-1 on the way to compare. Should be here tomorrow.
arsMatrix likes this.
post #1863 of 1863 Unread Today, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Your issue has nothing to do with the 105's DACs, your type of interconnect cables, or power cables. I believe your source of "harshness" is the input sensitivity of your Peachtree preamp coupled with Oppo's unbalanced output voltage at fixed(max) volume. Your Peachtree's specs say that it has an input sensitivity of 1.2 volts. The Oppo's rca outputs at fixed(max) output are 2.1 volts rms. You are way overdriving your preamp. You need to put your Oppo into variable volume, and lower it down about 6 db, which would cut its voltage output in half. Since each step of volume on the Oppo is 1/2 db, you'll need to lower volume to around 88 (which would produce an Oppo unbalanced output voltage of around 1.05 volt rms. The harsh sound should go away after doing this.
Having read the various replies I would agree with this.

It would be also interesting to know what your reference recordings are because I'm betting your system has just went up a notch and you are now hearing compression a lot clearer. When my system got far too potent before I switched amps-the variable volume output was the only thing that allowed me to listen to some recordings.

The notion that the "lower" models are better designed for stereo playback seems pretty strange for me-the majority view from what I've seen is that by moving up the Oppo chain to the 105 usually results in improved stereo.

I would buy a better interconnect anyway but be aware sometimes when you buy a new component is the start of having to totally reassemble your system to get the best out of it. Sorry...:-)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page