Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 64Likes

post #1951 of 1980 Old 08-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
^ Double-check that you are using the RCA outputs from the OPPO and inputs into the Classe that you think you are using.

Try the experiment of setting HDMI Audio OFF while listening to a CD and see if that cures the problem.
--Bob
enric likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1980 Old 08-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by enric View Post
To listen a CD I use the RCA analog cables and the configuration in the CLASSE is analog RCA for this input (input R2L2), but the sound is not accurate.
This is not an answer to your problem, but a suggestion. Why not use the HDMI connection from your Oppo to the Classe for music as well? I've tried both with my 105D and Bryston SP3, and prefer the sound when the SP3 does the analog processing. I'd guess analog processing by your Classe SP800 is superior to that by your Oppo -- it should be, given the vast price difference. I assume its sonic reputation is the reason you bought the SP800, just as it's the reason I bought the SP3. You can try my suggestion by selecting the HDMI input when you play a CD (or SACD) using the Oppo.

db
enric likes this.
post #1953 of 1980 Old 08-23-2016, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Question concerning equipment

I have been reading a tremendous amount of material/posts concerning the Oppo 105d and wanted to see if it would work with my current avr - a Denon avrx2200w. My twenty year old Marantz Cd player has been fantastic, but it is time to upgrade. I am definitely a newbie when it comes to hooking things up and want to use the analog rca to get the better sound quality that the DAC offers. The system Oppo would be used both for home theater and two channel listening. What would be the correct way to hook up the equipment?

I will include the link to the Denon manual; I know this thread will not need a link to the Oppo.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2200W/EU/EN/

Thanks!
wagnerc likes this.

Last edited by sea101; 08-23-2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added link
post #1954 of 1980 Old 08-23-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea101 View Post
I have been reading a tremendous amount of material/posts concerning the Oppo 105d and wanted to see if it would work with my current avr - a Denon avrx2200w. My twenty year old Marantz Cd player has been fantastic, but it is time to upgrade. I am definitely a newbie when it comes to hooking things up and want to use the analog rca to get the better sound quality that the DAC offers. The system Oppo would be used both for home theater and two channel listening. What would be the correct way to hook up the equipment?

I will include the link to the Denon manual; I know this thread will not need a link to the Oppo.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2200W/EU/EN/

Thanks!
You can run stereo audio out (unbalanced) on BDP-105D to stereo analog RCA inputs on back of AVR-X2200w. The current Denon's don't include multi-channel analog inputs except for the best model.

Oppo Beta Group
post #1955 of 1980 Old 08-23-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
You can run stereo audio out (unbalanced) on BDP-105D to stereo analog RCA inputs on back of AVR-X2200w. The current Denon's don't include multi-channel analog inputs except for the best model.
Let me see the if this is correct:
I would hook up hdmi and have it run through there for movies/television. I would set the AVR for stereo and have analog running through (I am not sure which audio I would run it through, old it be cd or blu Ray?) what.

Thanks in advance. I am really interested in this.
post #1956 of 1980 Old 08-23-2016, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea101 View Post
Let me see the if this is correct:
I would hook up hdmi and have it run through there for movies/television. I would set the AVR for stereo and have analog running through (I am not sure which audio I would run it through, old it be cd or blu Ray?) what.

Thanks in advance. I am really interested in this.
I would just make use of the AVR's CD RCA audio inputs for your unbalance stereo from Oppo source and use HDMI Blu-ray input for the movies/television. This way it won't be confusing.

Should already be configured as shown

Oppo Beta Group
post #1957 of 1980 Old 08-24-2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
I would just make use of the AVR's CD RCA audio inputs for your unbalance stereo from Oppo source and use HDMI Blu-ray input for the movies/television. This way it won't be confusing.

Should already be configured as shown
Thank you! That helps tremendously!
post #1958 of 1980 Old 08-24-2016, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
This is not an answer to your problem, but a suggestion. Why not use the HDMI connection from your Oppo to the Classe for music as well? I've tried both with my 105D and Bryston SP3, and prefer the sound when the SP3 does the analog processing. I'd guess analog processing by your Classe SP800 is superior to that by your Oppo -- it should be, given the vast price difference. I assume its sonic reputation is the reason you bought the SP800, just as it's the reason I bought the SP3. You can try my suggestion by selecting the HDMI input when you play a CD (or SACD) using the Oppo.

db
I am sorry to say that it does not solve my problem.
I understand that I am using the OPPO analog processing when I press the stereo bypass function in the CLASSE.
If this is so I must say I prefer the OPPO analog processing and I do not like the sound when I select the HDMI input.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH BOB FOR YOUR HELP, but in the end I have to admit that I will have no choice but to buy a stereo pre-amp with bypass in order to get a good and "accurate" sound of my CD's
post #1959 of 1980 Old 08-24-2016, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I understand that I am using the OPPO analog processing when I press the stereo bypass function in the CLASSE. If this is so I must say I prefer the OPPO analog processing and I do not like the sound when I select the HDMI input. I will have no choice but to buy a stereo pre-amp with bypass in order to get a good and "accurate" sound of my CD's
Perhaps it's matter of personal preference, but the Classe has a reputation for excellent sonics. Otherwise why would anyone pay double the cost of other processors with more bells and whistles, e.g., a Marantz 8802? I suspect the problem is either a defective unit or improper setup. Have you tired the other HDMI inputs and reviewed your setup routine carefully?

Because I had a Parasound JC 2 BP preamp before I acquired the Bryston SP3, front LR from the SP3 passes through the JC 2 BP to access the pair of JC 1 amps used for stereo. Other channels from the SP3 do directly to amps or a bass manager. A JC 2 BP would accomplish what you seek, but I doubt it's necessary. I realize that I could sell my JC 2 BP and use balanced cables directly from the Ayre C-5xeMP and JC 3 phono stage to the SP3, but I choose to leave well enough alone.

db
enric likes this.
post #1960 of 1980 Old 08-24-2016, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I have the same Classe SSP-800, and Oppo BDP-105 player. I tried both the HDMI and analog XLR outputs from the player into my SSP-800. There was not a major difference when compared. My analog XLR was a bit smoother on the top end due to the cable used.

To the OP, I am curious as to why you didn't like the sound over HDMI? I went down the path you seem to be headed towards. I now use a separate analog tube preamp with XLR from the Oppo into the preamp!
enric likes this.

Last edited by Sharp1080; 08-24-2016 at 02:35 PM.
post #1961 of 1980 Old 08-25-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I have the same Classe SSP-800, and Oppo BDP-105 player. I tried both the HDMI and analog XLR outputs from the player into my SSP-800. There was not a major difference when compared. My analog XLR was a bit smoother on the top end due to the cable used.

To the OP, I am curious as to why you didn't like the sound over HDMI? I went down the path you seem to be headed towards. I now use a separate analog tube preamp with XLR from the Oppo into the preamp!
HI, DBPHD (my opinion is that sometimes a highest price does not mean a better quality) and
HI, SHARP. My first intention when I contacted the forum was to send you a private message because I read you had the same Classe and Oppo.
I think you have read my previous posts in which I claimed that in songs from CD`s I know by heart there were instruments that sounded differently than I remembered. (I did not notice the problem previously because I mostly listened to classical music).
Answering your question I prefer the analog sound maybe for the same reason you say in your post: "due to the quality of the cable used".
I am going to buy an Audio Research LS17SE which I have tried in a hi-fi shop and now I am sure this will be the solution and the end of my problem.
I will continue reading your posts.
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

post #1962 of 1980 Old 08-25-2016, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
(1) my opinion is that sometimes a highest price does not mean a better quality.

(2) I claimed that in songs from CD`s I know by heart there were instruments that sounded differently than I remembered. (I did not notice the problem previously because I mostly listened to classical music).

(3) I prefer the analog sound maybe for the same reason you say in your post: "due to the quality of the cable used".
Re 1: I agree, and admit I've never heard anything played through a Classe SSP800. I was basing my opinion only on its reputation. I do own a Bryston SP3, and it is excellent with either analog or digital input -- stereo is essentially indistinguishable from that with the analog JC 2 BP preamp, both seeming to approach that wire-with-gain ideal.

Re 2: It seems strange to me that you would not observe your preference with classical music, but I do use the opening guitar in "Love In Vain" from the Abkco edition of the Stones Let It Bleed, solos by Diana Krall in Love Scenes, and the drum solo in "Take Five" from Time Out when evaluating a setup. Of course, I rely more on my favorite recording of Corelli concertos with its harmonic complexity.

Re 3: I suspect the difference you hear is not analog or digital from the Oppo, but something more occult in which a cable may be a contributor, perhaps altering the spectral distribution in a way you prefer. Good luck with a new preamp. I doubt it will provide a cure unless you use the same analog cable.

A skeptical db
Sharp1080 likes this.
post #1963 of 1980 Old 08-25-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Hi, Sharp.
I am sorry to tell you I have not been able to see your private message. Please send it again. Thanks for your attention
By the way, Jimi Hendrix was one of my idols in my youth.
Cheers, Enric
post #1964 of 1980 Old 09-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayhikski View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by dmusoke 

Sigh!

I see where i might have made a mistake in the remote value numbers. Yes, you still need 0.4Vrms (XLR) output to bring James system to full power. I had forgotten that the Oppo prvides 0dBs at 4.1Vrms with a resolution of 0.5dB per remote click. So for a 0.4Vrms output from the Oppo, a x10 reduction in volume is necessary or a -20dB reduction from 0dBs. That translates into a volume level of 40 (-20dB /0.5dB per click) below the 100 max level or a volume level of 60.

Since James (or anyone else) doesn't want to listen at full power all the time, he sets the P7 volume levels to less than their max of 110, and i believe he said 85-90.

David,

That's right. 60 on the Oppo and 85-90 on the P7.

Thanks for setting me straight re the XLR voltage mistake in my earlier calculation for FL+FR voltage attenuation in post #1353.

Best,
James
Do you still have this setup ?
post #1965 of 1980 Old 09-21-2016, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question Streaming from PC to Oppo

Hello all and thanks in advance for your input.

I have a Windows 10 machine and am waiting to purchase (when available) the Oppo 4K player. I checked with Oppo and they state the forthcoming 4K player will NOT have an Internet browser.

As this (no browser) is the case with teh current 105/105D model, can someone tell me whether or not they were able to successfully:

- establish a wireless "share" between the Oppo and Win 10 where the Oppo sees the Win 10 shared files
- access a streaming music website - such as gdradio.net - on the PC and play that stream via the Oppo
- if connecting PC to Oppo via a wired connection while listening to a streaming website on the PC, how are you making the connection (USB out of PC to USB in of Oppo or HDMI out of PC and into HDMI of Oppo)

Musical Fidelity M6si, Emotiva ERC-3, Golden Ear Triton One, Samsung UN65KS9800

Now I don't know but I've been told, It's hard to run with the weight of gold, Other hand I heard it said, It's just as hard with the weight of lead
post #1966 of 1980 Old 09-21-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 182
As to your questions.

For the first: Yes. No problem at all on my setup with Windows 10 provided you set up file sharing properly.

For the 2nd and 3rd: Only with the 105 models via USB connection from your PC to the Oppo. Functionally, with this, your Oppo becomes a stereo DAC that takes whatever output comes from your PC.

Whether the comparable UHD models will work the same way remains to be seen but based on Oppo's history, the answer is probably yes if the newer chipsets they will have to use support it. Oppo's history has generally been to add new functionality with each generation of players without eliminating any feature the previous generation had. The only exception I recall immediately is when the ability to play .iso files was lost between the 9x and 10x players but that loss was really because the content owners forced them to remove that feature to continue being a licensed Blu-Ray player.

Last edited by JazzGuyy; 09-21-2016 at 12:43 PM.
post #1967 of 1980 Old 09-21-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
As to your questions.

For the first: Yes. No problem at all on my setup with Windows 10 provided you set up file sharing properly.

For the 2nd and 3rd: Only with the 105 models via USB connection from your PC to the Oppo. Functionally, with this, your Oppo becomes a stereo DAC that takes whatever output comes from your PC.

Whether the comparable UHD models will work the same way remains to be seen but based on Oppo's history, the answer is probably yes if the newer chipsets they will have to use support it. Oppo's history has generally been to add new functionality with each generation of players without eliminating any feature the previous generation had. The only exception I recall immediately is when the ability to play .iso files was lost between the 9x and 10x players but that loss was really because the content owners forced them to remove that feature to continue being a licensed Blu-Ray player.
Thank you JazzGuyy.

That's disappointing (to me anyway) that the 105 and forthcoming 4K doesn't have a browser. So be it.

Now I don't know but I've been told, It's hard to run with the weight of gold, Other hand I heard it said, It's just as hard with the weight of lead
post #1968 of 1980 Old 09-21-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Do any players have a browser? I know some TVs do but I don't remember a player with one.

post #1969 of 1980 Old 09-21-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Do any players have a browser? I know some TVs do but I don't remember a player with one.
The Samsung UBDK8500 does. And that's the first 4K blue ray to market. Seems a no brainer to include a browser.

post #1970 of 1980 Old 09-21-2016, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps they feel that it is one less headache to deal with.
post #1971 of 1980 Old 09-22-2016, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Perhaps they feel that it is one less headache to deal with.
I get what you're saying and there is some validity there. On the other hand lets be realistic; a browser is rather common place in general and in the case of a "universal" media player really is essential (IMO). While they obviously opted not to include one for some reason, I hope for their sake they did their homework as to whatever lost market share (i.e. sales) might result. Certainly they can't expect to sell more without a browser than if it had one. Maybe it's not to late for some guru over there to find and read this thread and include it, but I highly doubt it.

Last edited by hal250; 09-22-2016 at 03:14 AM.
post #1972 of 1980 Old 09-22-2016, 03:23 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal250 View Post
I get what you're saying and there is some validity there. On the other hand lets be realistic; a browser is rather common place in general and in the case of a "universal" media player really is essential (IMO). While they obviously opted not to include one for some reason, I hope for their sake they did their homework as to whatever lost market share (i.e. sales) might result. Certainly they can't expect to sell more without a browser than if it had one. Maybe it's not to late for some guru over there to find and read this thread and include it, but I highly doubt it.
This obviously has absolutely nothing to do with sound quality (ie: the title of the thread), but what's the big need to have a web browser in a Bluray player? The user interface for using the browser isn't going to be as good as on a real computer or tablet and the browser is going to have to be locked down (no flash and so forth), which makes the value pretty minimal IMHO. I've only seen a few people request this feature over the years for Oppo players, so I suspect they aren't losing too many sales over it.
post #1973 of 1980 Old 09-22-2016, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
This obviously has absolutely nothing to do with sound quality (ie: the title of the thread), but what's the big need to have a web browser in a Bluray player? The user interface for using the browser isn't going to be as good as on a real computer or tablet and the browser is going to have to be locked down (no flash and so forth), which makes the value pretty minimal IMHO. I've only seen a few people request this feature over the years for Oppo players, so I suspect they aren't losing too many sales over it.
All excellent points on your part, thank you. Please consider my response. I'm hopeful - as your status indicates you are on the oppo beta team - you can have this request formerly and properly considered within the oppo organization.

- I do realize this particular thread subject matter is meant to be specific to sound quality and the inclusion or lack thereof of a browser has little - but technically not nothing - to do with that. Consider that there are numerous sites that purport to offer many types of audio/video "test" material. Inclusion of a browser merely facilitates additional options with regard to "checking" sound and video quality.

- The big need for a web browser is that there are hundred of streaming music and video sites. As different people have different "tastes" and preferences in that regard, the browser serves as the ultimate resource with which to listen and/or watch precisely what the end-use customer wants.

- The interface does not have to be as good as on a real computer or tablet. Nearly as good is attainable and would suffice. As for flash, executables, viruses and other security concerns, it is to this end that the customer "relies upon" and "buys into" the manufacturer to include whatever is necessary to protect or otherwise ensure the continued outstanding performance that oppo is already known and revered for. Not all sites will "work" as they necessarily might on a stand-alone computer browser, but a large majority could as many A/V streaming sites do not rely on the flash technology you mention. Further, oppo can - and should - provide an operating system that is immune to any kind of virus, malware and so forth. At a minimum, a factory reset function could be included.

- You are certainly entitled to your opinion as to the overall value of including a browser. As am I and everyone else. To that end, has Oppo considered or even asked via marketing poles or other means for the opinions of existing customers and potential customers whether or not a browser should be included? I certainly wasn't. And I was on the "early notification" list for the 4K player more than 6 months ago.

- So by your admission, others -albeit not many - have requested this feature. While not many sales may necessarily have been lost, certainly you would agree that sales could not have been gained. Also, one can never be completely sure of quantifying "lost" sales nor the statistical methods used.

Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited by hal250; 09-22-2016 at 05:31 AM.
post #1974 of 1980 Old 09-22-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All excellent points on your part, thank you. Please consider my response. I'm hopeful - as your status indicates you are on the oppo beta team - you can have this request formerly and properly considered within the oppo organization.

- I do realize this particular thread subject matter is meant to be specific to sound quality and the inclusion or lack thereof of a browser has little - but technically not nothing - to do with that. Consider that there are numerous sites that purport to offer many types of audio/video "test" material. Inclusion of a browser merely facilitates additional options with regard to "checking" sound and video quality.

- The big need for a web browser is that there are hundred of streaming music and video sites. As different people have different "tastes" and preferences in that regard, the browser serves as the ultimate resource with which to listen and/or watch precisely what the end-use customer wants.

- The interface does not have to be as good as on a real computer or tablet. Nearly as good is attainable and would suffice. As for flash, executables, viruses and other security concerns, it is to this end that the customer "relies upon" and "buys into" the manufacturer to include whatever is necessary to protect or otherwise ensure the continued outstanding performance that oppo is already known and revered for. Not all sites will "work" as they necessarily might on a stand-alone computer browser, but a large majority could as many A/V streaming sites do not rely on the flash technology you mention. Further, oppo can - and should - provide an operating system that is immune to any kind of virus, malware and so forth. At a minimum, a factory reset function could be included.

I am just guessing that maybe you are under 35 years old? I highlighted the bold because you sort of answered your own request as to why Oppo most likely won't add a "browser". The last thing I need to deal with is a virus in my Oppo player screwing it up and bricking the unit. Why would a company with the track record of building great audio/video components start adding a web browser that isn't as good as a computer or tablet? It seems you are in the minority of Oppo owners asking for one? You are posting on here so you must own a "real computer and or a tablet"? How do you address owners that have their units setup in a dedicated theater? Just leave their projectors on while surfing the web?
post #1975 of 1980 Old 09-22-2016, 08:18 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

There are also a number of ways to get other audio sources into the players, such as using the player as a DLNA renderer from something like JRiver Media Center or using the USB DAC input connected to a PC where you can then use a full blown browser of your choice to get whatever you want.

The reality is that adding a browser introduces a ton of potential support (why doesn't page xyz.com work?) and maintenance hassles (security updates, etc.) that I suspect Oppo (wisely, IMHO) doesn't want to deal with. Once you add a browser, every user is going to have a different idea of what is "good enough" and what isn't.

But make your desires known to Oppo by sending them a message using the contact form on their website. Even though they obviously don't add everything that gets requested, they really do listen to requests; that's how a number of features have come to fruition over the years.
post #1976 of 1980 Old 09-22-2016, 08:56 AM

gsr, Sharp1080 – I’m not looking to enter into a pissing contest with either of you. You do realize your points are completely moot, because I’m told there is no browser. So who are you arguing with? You are already getting what you want – no browser. I'm merely looking to get what I want.

Sharp1080 – you have guessed incorrectly as I am older than 35. Note that a virus can also be introduced via a USB or DVD, which is supported. I believe my initial post adequately addresses the potential virus issue. Moreover, if out of an abundance of caution you or some other user is "afraid" of using a browser for whatever reason, who says you have to use it?

gsr – your response about the browser introducing a ton of support issues, something Oppo doesn’t want to deal with, is laughable. Because... – straight to your point about its network capability – they already clearly state in writing “The Network feature is not officially supported due to the variation in hardware and software configurations. OPPO does not offer technical support via email or phone for this feature. The OPPO Wiki located at wiki.oppodigital.com can be a useful resource to learn about this feature.” So why should a browser be any different?

post #1977 of 1980 Old 09-22-2016, 09:00 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
they already clearly state in writing “The Network feature is not officially supported due to the variation in hardware and software configurations. OPPO does not offer technical support via email or phone for this feature. The OPPO Wiki located at wiki.oppodigital.com can be a useful resource to learn about this feature.” So why should a browser be any different?
They do try to support the Network features. It's not guaranteed, but they try. Every new feature is a support burden.

I prefer minimalism but accept that's not what most of the market wants.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #1978 of 1980 Old 09-22-2016, 10:25 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
gsr – your response about the browser introducing a ton of support issues, something Oppo doesn’t want to deal with, is laughable. Because... – straight to your point about its network capability – they already clearly state in writing “The Network feature is not officially supported due to the variation in hardware and software configurations. OPPO does not offer technical support via email or phone for this feature. The OPPO Wiki located at wiki.oppodigital.com can be a useful resource to learn about this feature.” So why should a browser be any different?
Like I said, make your needs known to Oppo and allow this thread to get back on topic...
post #1979 of 1980 Old 09-22-2016, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Bob or gsr,

Theses are questions posed on the DirecTV 4K thread, and I don't know the answers: Does the Oppo pass 4k? hdmi2? hdcp2.2? if not the mini should not go through it.

I've been trying to bring 4K up on a Sony 65XBR850C with a DirecTV mini without success. If the 65XBR850C is DirecTV ready as Sony and RVU claim, then it doesn't need the mini, but the DirecTV techs claim it is not and that the mini needs coax for 4K which I'm unwilling to provide -- I use whole home WiFi.

db
post #1980 of 1980 Old 09-22-2016, 05:18 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Bob or gsr,

Theses are questions posed on the DirecTV 4K thread, and I don't know the answers: Does the Oppo pass 4k? hdmi2? hdcp2.2? if not the mini should not go through it.

I've been trying to bring 4K up on a Sony 65XBR850C with a DirecTV mini without success. If the 65XBR850C is DirecTV ready as Sony and RVU claim, then it doesn't need the mini, but the DirecTV techs claim it is not and that the mini needs coax for 4K which I'm unwilling to provide -- I use whole home WiFi.

db
The existing BDP-10x line does not accept any form of 4K input - not from the HDMI inputs, not from any internal app, not from any sort of network streaming (ie: DLNA, SMB shares, etc.), and not from any sort of physical disc. So, no you shouldn't be trying to feed a 4K device through your Oppo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread