Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 60Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1951 of 1963 Old 08-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29,312
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked: 1347
^ Double-check that you are using the RCA outputs from the OPPO and inputs into the Classe that you think you are using.

Try the experiment of setting HDMI Audio OFF while listening to a CD and see if that cures the problem.
--Bob
enric likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1952 of 1963 Old 08-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by enric View Post
To listen a CD I use the RCA analog cables and the configuration in the CLASSE is analog RCA for this input (input R2L2), but the sound is not accurate.
This is not an answer to your problem, but a suggestion. Why not use the HDMI connection from your Oppo to the Classe for music as well? I've tried both with my 105D and Bryston SP3, and prefer the sound when the SP3 does the analog processing. I'd guess analog processing by your Classe SP800 is superior to that by your Oppo -- it should be, given the vast price difference. I assume its sonic reputation is the reason you bought the SP800, just as it's the reason I bought the SP3. You can try my suggestion by selecting the HDMI input when you play a CD (or SACD) using the Oppo.

db
enric likes this.
dbphd is offline  
post #1953 of 1963 Old 08-23-2016, 11:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question concerning equipment

I have been reading a tremendous amount of material/posts concerning the Oppo 105d and wanted to see if it would work with my current avr - a Denon avrx2200w. My twenty year old Marantz Cd player has been fantastic, but it is time to upgrade. I am definitely a newbie when it comes to hooking things up and want to use the analog rca to get the better sound quality that the DAC offers. The system Oppo would be used both for home theater and two channel listening. What would be the correct way to hook up the equipment?

I will include the link to the Denon manual; I know this thread will not need a link to the Oppo.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2200W/EU/EN/

Thanks!

Last edited by sea101; 08-23-2016 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added link
sea101 is offline  
post #1954 of 1963 Old 08-23-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea101 View Post
I have been reading a tremendous amount of material/posts concerning the Oppo 105d and wanted to see if it would work with my current avr - a Denon avrx2200w. My twenty year old Marantz Cd player has been fantastic, but it is time to upgrade. I am definitely a newbie when it comes to hooking things up and want to use the analog rca to get the better sound quality that the DAC offers. The system Oppo would be used both for home theater and two channel listening. What would be the correct way to hook up the equipment?

I will include the link to the Denon manual; I know this thread will not need a link to the Oppo.

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX2200W/EU/EN/

Thanks!
You can run stereo audio out (unbalanced) on BDP-105D to stereo analog RCA inputs on back of AVR-X2200w. The current Denon's don't include multi-channel analog inputs except for the best model.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #1955 of 1963 Old 08-23-2016, 02:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
You can run stereo audio out (unbalanced) on BDP-105D to stereo analog RCA inputs on back of AVR-X2200w. The current Denon's don't include multi-channel analog inputs except for the best model.
Let me see the if this is correct:
I would hook up hdmi and have it run through there for movies/television. I would set the AVR for stereo and have analog running through (I am not sure which audio I would run it through, old it be cd or blu Ray?) what.

Thanks in advance. I am really interested in this.
sea101 is offline  
post #1956 of 1963 Old 08-23-2016, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea101 View Post
Let me see the if this is correct:
I would hook up hdmi and have it run through there for movies/television. I would set the AVR for stereo and have analog running through (I am not sure which audio I would run it through, old it be cd or blu Ray?) what.

Thanks in advance. I am really interested in this.
I would just make use of the AVR's CD RCA audio inputs for your unbalance stereo from Oppo source and use HDMI Blu-ray input for the movies/television. This way it won't be confusing.

Should already be configured as shown

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #1957 of 1963 Old Yesterday, 03:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
I would just make use of the AVR's CD RCA audio inputs for your unbalance stereo from Oppo source and use HDMI Blu-ray input for the movies/television. This way it won't be confusing.

Should already be configured as shown
Thank you! That helps tremendously!
sea101 is offline  
post #1958 of 1963 Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: VALENCIA, SPAIN
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
This is not an answer to your problem, but a suggestion. Why not use the HDMI connection from your Oppo to the Classe for music as well? I've tried both with my 105D and Bryston SP3, and prefer the sound when the SP3 does the analog processing. I'd guess analog processing by your Classe SP800 is superior to that by your Oppo -- it should be, given the vast price difference. I assume its sonic reputation is the reason you bought the SP800, just as it's the reason I bought the SP3. You can try my suggestion by selecting the HDMI input when you play a CD (or SACD) using the Oppo.

db
I am sorry to say that it does not solve my problem.
I understand that I am using the OPPO analog processing when I press the stereo bypass function in the CLASSE.
If this is so I must say I prefer the OPPO analog processing and I do not like the sound when I select the HDMI input.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH BOB FOR YOUR HELP, but in the end I have to admit that I will have no choice but to buy a stereo pre-amp with bypass in order to get a good and "accurate" sound of my CD's
enric is offline  
post #1959 of 1963 Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by enric View Post
I understand that I am using the OPPO analog processing when I press the stereo bypass function in the CLASSE. If this is so I must say I prefer the OPPO analog processing and I do not like the sound when I select the HDMI input. I will have no choice but to buy a stereo pre-amp with bypass in order to get a good and "accurate" sound of my CD's
Perhaps it's matter of personal preference, but the Classe has a reputation for excellent sonics. Otherwise why would anyone pay double the cost of other processors with more bells and whistles, e.g., a Marantz 8802? I suspect the problem is either a defective unit or improper setup. Have you tired the other HDMI inputs and reviewed your setup routine carefully?

Because I had a Parasound JC 2 BP preamp before I acquired the Bryston SP3, front LR from the SP3 passes through the JC 2 BP to access the pair of JC 1 amps used for stereo. Other channels from the SP3 do directly to amps or a bass manager. A JC 2 BP would accomplish what you seek, but I doubt it's necessary. I realize that I could sell my JC 2 BP and use balanced cables directly from the Ayre C-5xeMP and JC 3 phono stage to the SP3, but I choose to leave well enough alone.

db
enric likes this.
dbphd is offline  
post #1960 of 1963 Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sharp1080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Calif
Posts: 2,552
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I have the same Classe SSP-800, and Oppo BDP-105 player. I tried both the HDMI and analog XLR outputs from the player into my SSP-800. There was not a major difference when compared. My analog XLR was a bit smoother on the top end due to the cable used.

To the OP, I am curious as to why you didn't like the sound over HDMI? I went down the path you seem to be headed towards. I now use a separate analog tube preamp with XLR from the Oppo into the preamp!
enric likes this.

Last edited by Sharp1080; Yesterday at 02:35 PM.
Sharp1080 is offline  
post #1961 of 1963 Old Today, 06:51 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: VALENCIA, SPAIN
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I have the same Classe SSP-800, and Oppo BDP-105 player. I tried both the HDMI and analog XLR outputs from the player into my SSP-800. There was not a major difference when compared. My analog XLR was a bit smoother on the top end due to the cable used.

To the OP, I am curious as to why you didn't like the sound over HDMI? I went down the path you seem to be headed towards. I now use a separate analog tube preamp with XLR from the Oppo into the preamp!
HI, DBPHD (my opinion is that sometimes a highest price does not mean a better quality) and
HI, SHARP. My first intention when I contacted the forum was to send you a private message because I read you had the same Classe and Oppo.
I think you have read my previous posts in which I claimed that in songs from CD`s I know by heart there were instruments that sounded differently than I remembered. (I did not notice the problem previously because I mostly listened to classical music).
Answering your question I prefer the analog sound maybe for the same reason you say in your post: "due to the quality of the cable used".
I am going to buy an Audio Research LS17SE which I have tried in a hi-fi shop and now I am sure this will be the solution and the end of my problem.
I will continue reading your posts.
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

enric is offline  
post #1962 of 1963 Old Today, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
dbphd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by enric View Post
(1) my opinion is that sometimes a highest price does not mean a better quality.

(2) I claimed that in songs from CD`s I know by heart there were instruments that sounded differently than I remembered. (I did not notice the problem previously because I mostly listened to classical music).

(3) I prefer the analog sound maybe for the same reason you say in your post: "due to the quality of the cable used".
Re 1: I agree, and admit I've never heard anything played through a Classe SSP800. I was basing my opinion only on its reputation. I do own a Bryston SP3, and it is excellent with either analog or digital input -- stereo is essentially indistinguishable from that with the analog JC 2 BP preamp, both seeming to approach that wire-with-gain ideal.

Re 2: It seems strange to me that you would not observe your preference with classical music, but I do use the opening guitar in "Love In Vain" from the Abkco edition of the Stones Let It Bleed, solos by Diana Krall in Love Scenes, and the drum solo in "Take Five" from Time Out when evaluating a setup. Of course, I rely more on my favorite recording of Corelli concertos with its harmonic complexity.

Re 3: I suspect the difference you hear is not analog or digital from the Oppo, but something more occult in which a cable may be a contributor, perhaps altering the spectral distribution in a way you prefer. Good luck with a new preamp. I doubt it will provide a cure unless you use the same analog cable.

A skeptical db
dbphd is offline  
post #1963 of 1963 Old Today, 02:23 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: VALENCIA, SPAIN
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I have the same Classe SSP-800, and Oppo BDP-105 player. I tried both the HDMI and analog XLR outputs from the player into my SSP-800. There was not a major difference when compared. My analog XLR was a bit smoother on the top end due to the cable used.

To the OP, I am curious as to why you didn't like the sound over HDMI? I went down the path you seem to be headed towards. I now use a separate analog tube preamp with XLR from the Oppo into the preamp!
Hi, Sharp.
I am sorry to tell you I have not been able to see your private message. Please send it again. Thanks for your attention
By the way, Jimi Hendrix was one of my idols in my youth.
Cheers, Enric
enric is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off