Oppo BDP-105 "Sound Quality" Check Thread for Audiophiles - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

post #2041 of 2054 Old 01-26-2017, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post
Bill, I agree with everything you said in your post. I hope to try the 205 when it comes out and compare the sound to my 105. Then I can decide if it is worth replacing the 105. If not then I would probably keep my 105 for music and get the 203 for 4k. It is hard to imagine my 105 sounding any better when using the analog outs.

You could think about having the best of BOTH world's too.

An OPPO 203 for 4K...........with an external DAC that beats the 105/205 connected in the back!!!!

Only real caveat is how you prefer your SACD'S handled.............if you have any.
mdanderson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2054 Old 01-26-2017, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by linger63 View Post
You could think about having the best of BOTH world's too.

An OPPO 203 for 4K...........with an external DAC that beats the 105/205 connected in the back!!!!

Only real caveat is how you prefer your SACD'S handled.............if you have any.
I have not thought about an external dac. Do you have any suggestions? I like using DSD for my sacds but also have a good number of dvd audio discs which sound very nice as well. Thanks.

Paradigm Studio 20v5-fronts
Paradigm Studio CC-490v5-center
Paradigm Studio 10v5- side surrounds,Monitor surround 3v7-bck surr
Oppo BDP-105
Marantz SR-5010(as preamp) Emotiva BasX A-700amp
SVS SB-1000
post #2043 of 2054 Old 01-27-2017, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
There's no logical reason for the 7.1 analog output of the 203 and 205 to sound differently.
IF the 205 is similar to the 105 models, then they may also include dedicated stereo outputs,
and digital audio inputs including a USB DAC, as well as a headphone amp.
Those are valuable features to a lot of users.
If the DACs and their implementation for the 7.1 analog output of the 205 are of a higher quality than the 203 I'd think the SQ would be better. I've never compared the SQ of the 7.1 analog output of my 103 and 105D. For anyone that has is the SQ the same?

I realize that like the 105 the 205 will likely have the additional items you mentioned. But if one is most interested in analog SQ, doesn't require those features and is on a budget why spend the additional $700 to $800 if the 203 and 205 will sound the same?

Bill

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.

post #2044 of 2054 Old 01-27-2017, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
But if one is most interested in analog SQ, doesn't require those features and is on a budget why spend the additional $700 to $800 if the 203 and 205 will sound the same?

Bill

The 205 will probably sound better, but not by a huge margin. Those who don't need the extra connections (balanced outputs, asynchronous USB, etc.) will probably be better off with the 203 price wise.

I highly doubt that either the 203 or the 205 will sound as good as my Chord Mojo DAC, so I will be going with the 203 in order to exploit it's HDMI input and use it as a receiver for my cable box. The only upgrade I intend to do is a fine power cable instead of the stock one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2045 of 2054 Old 01-27-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I realize that like the 105 the 205 will likely have the additional items you mentioned. But if one is most interested in analog SQ, doesn't require those features and is on a budget why spend the additional $700 to $800 if the 203 and 205 will sound the same?
Precisely; Oppo states unless you need the higher quality analog out, you should get a 103 or 203 rather than the 105 or 205.
post #2046 of 2054 Old 01-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
Precisely; Oppo states unless you need the higher quality analog out, you should get a 103 or 203 rather than the 105 or 205.
Keep in mind there ARE other differences between the 105 and 103, and even more so with the 105D (not even counting the addition of Darbee processing).

For example, the Asynchronous USB DAC Input, the Optical/Coax S/PDIF Inputs, the Headphones jack, and the ability to control Volume of DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion output on the Analog outs.

At this point, nobody who knows can comment on what will be in the upcoming 205, but odds are there will be more than "just" a more exotic Analog audio output solution.
--Bob
Bill Mac and arsMatrix like this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2047 of 2054 Old 01-27-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 356
It will sound similar thru HDMI, the difference will be with the analog outputs. The rest is a pipe dream.
post #2048 of 2054 Old 01-27-2017, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
At this point, nobody who knows can comment on what will be in the upcoming 205, but odds are there will be more than "just" a more exotic Analog audio output solution.
--Bob
You're killing me Bob . I wish Oppo would update the 205 product page to show a picture of the rear panel and all the "goodies" that go with it .

Bill
mdanderson and arsMatrix like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo BDP-103/105D, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #2049 of 2054 Old 02-05-2017, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Oppo Reading USB Input But No Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
Bob,

Before taking the Mini in to check out its USB, I connected a monitor directly to it rather than through screen sharing with the iMac, and ran System Preferences for Sound. When I connected the USB to the asynchronous USB port of the Oppo, the Oppo DAC immediately showed up in the selection window. I'm now playing a selection through the audio system using Audirvana. The sound is really excellent.

The downside of this success is that it appears I can't use the iMac screen sharing to control the Mini if I want to use an external sound source, and I haven't come up with a satisfactory location for the monitor needed to run the Mini direct.

Thanks for all your help. The ball's in my court now.

db
Searched but could not find issue I am having, above is closest I could find.

For several years I enjoyed the limitations, no processing except volume of the USB Input straight into the DAC. (Room is set-up for audio does not really need processing)

Enjoyed except for times that PureMusic/iTunes updates software creating difficulty to select Oppo as output instead of built-in on MacBook Pro in PureMusic. Or the times when USB cable becomes dislodged from either MacPro or Oppo.

Those issues I have been able to diagnose and correct, but yesterday I have a new one.
Oppo BDP-105 plays audio performs normally through HDMI Input from WOW Cable TV and Blue Ray Disc but when using USB Input - No sound, like it is being muted. Also Pure Music plays on MacBook Pro, both headphones and built in speakers. But no sound through Oppo when I change output to it in Pure Music.

If I select a song that have stored on MacBook/PureMusic/iTunes from CD, information displayed on Projector through/from Oppo matches PureMusic 44.1kHz ,if I select a higher resolution recording in PureMusic, Oppo notices the change and displays the new resolution 96khz, 192khz etc. but there is no sound.

Oppo and PureMusic/MacBook Pro are clearly communicating with each other but no sound is coming out.

Any ideas today so I could enjoy listing to music while the wife is out later to day would be great.

Other wise I will call Oppo support tomorrow . . .
post #2050 of 2054 Old 02-05-2017, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRDLASCALA View Post
Searched but could not find issue I am having, above is closest I could find.

For several years I enjoyed the limitations, no processing except volume of the USB Input straight into the DAC. (Room is set-up for audio does not really need processing)

Enjoyed except for times that PureMusic/iTunes updates software creating difficulty to select Oppo as output instead of built-in on MacBook Pro in PureMusic. Or the times when USB cable becomes dislodged from either MacPro or Oppo.

Those issues I have been able to diagnose and correct, but yesterday I have a new one.
Oppo BDP-105 plays audio performs normally through HDMI Input from WOW Cable TV and Blue Ray Disc but when using USB Input - No sound, like it is being muted. Also Pure Music plays on MacBook Pro, both headphones and built in speakers. But no sound through Oppo when I change output to it in Pure Music.

If I select a song that have stored on MacBook/PureMusic/iTunes from CD, information displayed on Projector through/from Oppo matches PureMusic 44.1kHz ,if I select a higher resolution recording in PureMusic, Oppo notices the change and displays the new resolution 96khz, 192khz etc. but there is no sound.

Oppo and PureMusic/MacBook Pro are clearly communicating with each other but no sound is coming out.

Any ideas today so I could enjoy listing to music while the wife is out later to day would be great.

Other wise I will call Oppo support tomorrow . . .
My Bad:
Hooked up Optical and cranked the volume up on Oppo and heard a faint sound. Some how even though on start-up Pure Music showed -0.1dB, not normal usually 0dB, volume on Pure Music was -35dB.

Reset Volume to 0db and both Optical and USB are working normally!
gsr and Bob Pariseau like this.
post #2051 of 2054 Old 02-10-2017, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Guys, I need your help with something.

I'm think of matching a udp-205 with a peachtree audio nova300 integrated amp. Is this an ideal matching? Considering what I heard about the 105's required imput impedance...(47kohm? does the nova300 have 100kohm? am I reading the specs right?)

All that, connected to ML's Expression ESL 13A, and hopefully all that, to a TV, also.

Is this an ideal setup, if I want to get the best audio from these components? Am I missing another component in the chain?

Thanks.
post #2052 of 2054 Old 02-15-2017, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Digital Inputs vs. Network Connection

Hi: I recently sold my Nuforce BDP-93 in anticipation of purchasing the new 205 or perhaps a used 105. I was happy with my old unit, but I would like the option of digital inputs, so I can integrate my Tivo and iTunes. (I have been out of the loop for a few years, and I am trying to get up to speed. I am just now getting around to ripping my CDs .) I am trying to figure out the various options for connecting my devices--If I understand correctly, the digital inputs are for processing through the dedicated stereo outputs, whereas the HDMI inputs go to the multichannel outputs. However, I have not been able to find any reference to how the signal is processed from a network connection. Are you able to choose between the multi channel and stereo? I am strictly interested in stereo.
Excuse me if I am using the wrong terminology--like I said, I have been away from all of this for a while, and I am trying to catch up!
post #2053 of 2054 Old Today, 05:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2278 Post(s)
Liked: 2857
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs0755 View Post
Hi: I recently sold my Nuforce BDP-93 in anticipation of purchasing the new 205 or perhaps a used 105. I was happy with my old unit, but I would like the option of digital inputs, so I can integrate my Tivo and iTunes. (I have been out of the loop for a few years, and I am trying to get up to speed. I am just now getting around to ripping my CDs .) I am trying to figure out the various options for connecting my devices--If I understand correctly, the digital inputs are for processing through the dedicated stereo outputs, whereas the HDMI inputs go to the multichannel outputs. However, I have not been able to find any reference to how the signal is processed from a network connection. Are you able to choose between the multi channel and stereo? I am strictly interested in stereo.
Excuse me if I am using the wrong terminology--like I said, I have been away from all of this for a while, and I am trying to catch up!
All of the audio outputs are live simultaneously. So if you are feeding, say, the Optical digital Input of the 105, you'll have audio output on the multi-channel Analog outs, the dedicated stereo Analog outs, the HDMI audio out, and the Optical and Coax digital audio outs.

There are a few limitations. Some file formats are not allowed to play on some outputs for licensing reasons, mostly due to lack of copy protection. So for example, if you play an SACD disc the Optical and Coax outs will be silent. If you feed LPCM audio into the USB DAC Input, it will only be present on the HDMI outs if the input sample rate is 192kHz or less.

But edge cases aside, basically whatever you are playing, no matter how you are playing it, will be present on all of the players audio outs at the same time.

-------------------------------------

The above is for the 105 and 105D. OPPO has not yet released any information on the upcoming 205 player.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #2054 of 2054 Old Today, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
All of the audio outputs are live simultaneously. So if you are feeding, say, the Optical digital Input of the 105, you'll have audio output on the multi-channel Analog outs, the dedicated stereo Analog outs, the HDMI audio out, and the Optical and Coax digital audio outs.

There are a few limitations. Some file formats are not allowed to play on some outputs for licensing reasons, mostly due to lack of copy protection. So for example, if you play an SACD disc the Optical and Coax outs will be silent. If you feed LPCM audio into the USB DAC Input, it will only be present on the HDMI outs if the input sample rate is 192kHz or less.

But edge cases aside, basically whatever you are playing, no matter how you are playing it, will be present on all of the players audio outs at the same time.

-------------------------------------

The above is for the 105 and 105D. OPPO has not yet released any information on the upcoming 205 player.
--Bob
Thanks Bob!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Blu Ray Players , Marantz Ud9004 Flagship Universal Player
Gear in this thread